• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 1,691 Views, 116 Comments

Her Mother's Diary - Church



Rainbow Dash's mother has kept a diary of her foal's upbringing through the years.

  • ...
2
 116
 1,691

day forty-five

… Day forty-five...

























Hearthswarming Eve is approaching, but I just don’t think that I have the stomach to get into the festive spirit this year.

There are several reasons why I refuse to decorate the house. One, Rainbow will eat the little light bulbs that’ll be strewn about the place. I can’t risk that. Two, my neighbors complain about how brilliant the wreath on the front door is... even though that’s the only thing that’s lit up on the outside of this small one bedroom one bath apartment. I let it slide because of their old age. Perhaps most importantly, however, is reason three; I refuse to decorate the house because Hearthswarming Eve just doesn’t seem so bright this year.

Mom bought a few new toys for Rainbow Dash. It helps to keep her satisfied while I’m away job searching, and it keeps the foalsitter satisfied to know that she doesn’t have to deal with the stress of Dash rummaging through the pantry.

The first gift was a picture book. I’ve already read it to Dashie a few times through, and it’s a much more suitable for her than those Daring Do books. The only unfortunate thing is, I miss those books. Reading a book intended for foals, guilty as charged. Maybe someday I’ll grow up. The second gift was a toy airplane. The makers assured parents that “no part of the toy could be swallowed by any foal” when they put the guarantee in big, bold letters on the box it came in. Dash seems to like it. The foalsitter tells me that she sits around and plays with it on a consistent basis. I guess that makes me like it as well. The third gift was a tranquilizer.

I kid about the latter.

The third gift was a new blanket. Mom had sewn it together for Dashie, just like she did for me when I was a little foal, and it was much softer than the dirty old rag we had for a blanket currently. The colors of the rainbow had been stitched into the cloth along with multiple intricate little swirling patterns that appeared to represent clouds. The majority of the cloth was the same color as Dashie’s coat. I tucked her in with it the first night I came home with it, and she almost became fully camouflaged. It was another good way for my foal to become harder to find.

I find it shameful to say this, but I cried as I draped it over her. It’s just that I have nothing to repay them with, and they’re giving me presents with Hearthswarming Eve just around the corner. Plus, in Dad’s condition, I don’t know why Mom would go through all the trouble. She has her own concerns to bide her time with, screw her daughter. I just don’t understand.

I don’t understand her kindness.

And so, I’ll have to find a job to repay that kindness. Running on what I have left isn’t going to cut it. Moreover, I want to give Rainbow a decent first holiday, and I want to put a smile on her face. It’s just been so hard to do recently, and I really need it. I could stand to see her smile this week. Just that big, cheesy, beaming smile. I feel so... lost, without it.

So please smile for me, Rainbow. Mommy could use a smile right now.