• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 1,691 Views, 116 Comments

Her Mother's Diary - Church



Rainbow Dash's mother has kept a diary of her foal's upbringing through the years.

  • ...
2
 116
 1,691

day fifteen

… Day fifteen...















Rainbow Dash was missing this morning.

Not a good way to start off the entry, I know. Repeating it in my head makes me sound no less a terrible parent either. Now, how exactly is it that I misplaced my foal overnight? How did I manage it? She was in the crib when I went to bed, and when I woke up, she wasn’t. It provided little solace to know that it wasn’t my fault.

But really, it wasn’t my fault.

I woke up, and, following the routine of every morning since I brought Dash home, went over to her crib to kiss her and tell her I loved her. Imagine my surprise when I nearly wound up kissing an empty bundle of blankets. I did a double take. She wasn’t in there. So, I drew back from the crib and did what I believe most mothers would do... I panicked.

Before I even knew I was doing it I was calling her name. My shouts carried through this tiny household of mine, and more than likely jumped through the walls, waking the neighbors. Not that I cared, my neighbors are a couple of scumbags, they deserved to be disturbed by my desperate screams of motherly terror. No matter how much I cried, I couldn’t hear a response in the form of Rainbow’s giggling voice or mirthful laughs. My thoughts began to take a turn for the worse.

Had somepony taken her?

How could somepony have gotten into my house?

Why would somepony take my foal!?

I ran out of my room (stumbling over a pile of dirty clothes) and into the dining room. She wasn’t in there. I turned my head to take a peek into the living room (small house), and she wasn’t in there either. Of course, my only option now was to turn over every piece of furniture in the house, toss everything aside, and inadvertently create hurdles to jump over later in my frenzied search. The house ended up in a state of total disarray. The table was flipped over, the living room recliner was overturned, every chair at the dining table was pulled out or thrown aside. In the aftermath of my romp, it looked like a frantic madpony had trashed the house, yet still no Rainbow Dash.

At this point, and now I was growing desperate here, I had resorted to looking inside of cabinets and drawers. I checked the kitchen drawers, my dresser drawers; I searched every drawer that I had in the house. She wasn’t inside of any of them. I didn’t very well expect her to be. Then I looked to one of my common kitchen appliances. I felt sickened by the very thought of this, but of course...

I opened the oven door.

Thank Luna’s heavenly stars she wasn’t in there.

The short-lived relief was quickly followed by a sense of overwhelming urgency. Rainbow Dash wasn’t anywhere in the house, and the doors and the windows had been locked. The only solution was that she had been stolen away in the middle of night. I was prepared to make a run for the police. Tears had begun to stream down the side of my face at the notion that my foal had been taken from me only two weeks after she had come into my life. And to think I had been but a wingbeat away to stop it from happening at all. Amidst my (rather hopeless) sobs, I heard a tiny snicker come from somewhere above me.

I looked up to see my foal hovering just above my head, perhaps the entire time. I shrieked like the living daylights had just been juiced out of me. Rainbow merely laughed her cute little laugh and flitted across the room to the curtains by the window. I looked on in disbelief.

She could fly! She could fly?

I immediately raced over to the windowpane. I screamed her name, but was cut off by my falling face-first to the floor by tripping over the chair I had so stupidly thrown aside. By the time I had lifted my head, Rainbow was off and racing across the room, back to the kitchen area. I sighed.

At that point in time, I recalled that I possess something that matched the mischievous nature of my excitable young foal. Those things are called wings.

I dispassionately lifted myself into the air, extending my forelegs toward her in hopes that she would flutter over and fall into them. I smiled weakly and gestured for her to fly over to me. Like the rapscallion she was, she refused, and to my dismay snorted and sped off into our room. I grew frustrated as I gave chase to the cyan rocket who had so expertly dashed any thought of grabbing her. I managed a feeble smile as I entered the room with her.

I was still greatly relieved that she was there.

Upon entering the room, Rainbow had settled in her crib, sitting there like a good little foal. She smiled sweetly at me, her eyes twinkling. My heart instantly melted. If she’s going to do that everytime she gets herself into trouble, I might just be in trouble myself.

I floated over to her, slowly, so as not to startle her in any way. She didn’t budge. I had expected her to leap up and fly away, disappear to some crevice in the recesses of the house. She only grinned and let me lift her into my hooves, beaming a smile that could make even Celestia’s sun pale in comparison. I nuzzled her lovingly in an attempt to calm my nerves and get my daily dose of Rainbow.

I told her that if she ever pulled her little shenanigans again, she would wind up giving mommy a heart attack. I’m not sure if it quite got the point across... I’ll find out tomorrow morning when I wake up.

Ugh, it’s past 11:00 now. As I sit here now, recovering from the day’s turmoil, I can hear Rainbow’s steady breathing from her crib. The silence of the night is only broken by her breaths. I’m beginning to feel drowsy, as they only remind me of a peaceful slumber. The dim lighting strains my eyes, and I don’t wish to adjust it for fear of waking her, so I may just stop here for the night.

I told her I loved her one last time before I turned out the light, prepped for tomorrow’s venture. I might need all the sleep I can get from now on...