• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 4,561 Views, 217 Comments

Dueling is Magic! A Rip in Time - Wolfgang



Two years after "Dueling is Magic!", Yusei returns to Equestria to take on a time-travelin

  • ...
7
 217
 4,561

Chapter 9: Struggle

Dueling is Magic! A Rip in Time Chapter 9: Struggle

*********************\

After making a deal with a dark resident of Tartarus, Dash has acquired the power to duel against Paradox! Will Dash’s new power be enough to stop the time traveler’s rampage? Or will she too fall to the power of the Malefic dragons?

*********************\

Author’s Note: As you may be aware, my keyboard is not working properly. I'm typing this on a public computer at the local college. That combined with an epic duel that’s had me exhausted is the reason for the delay in this chapter.

The duel itself was especially difficult. After making up my mind about what deck to give to Rainbow Dash, I began having a lot of trouble with the flow of the duel. Over time, I noticed a trend in how the duel was forming, so I went with it. It might have made things a bit harder, but I stuck with it and eventually worked it all out.

This duel will debut a few of the new cards I've created for Paradox. I’ll try to explain them as clearly as I can when they're played.

/*********************\

Paradox stopped, the brakes on his D-Wheel screeching as he did. He and Rainbow Dash stared at each other. A dusty breeze blew between them.

“You’re done,” said Dash. “You’re done destroying my home.”

“You do not have the power to stop me,” said Paradox.

“I’ve got a new power,” the pegasus replied. “Duel me! If I win- which I will- then you have to undo everything you’ve done!”

“Very well,” said Paradox. “Prepare to meet your maker.” He dismounted and readied his Duel Disk.

“DUEL!” they shouted.

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 4000
Paradox: 4000

“I’ll go first!” said Dash. Six cards emerged from a deck on the edge of the curved disk and floated before her. “I activate the Field Spell ‘Advanced Dark’!” A bright blue ring appeared around the two duelists. Within the ring were ancient runes. “Advanced Dark treats all of my ‘Crystal Beast’ monsters on the field or in the Graveyard as DARK monsters. I summon ‘Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus’ in Attack Mode!”

Deep blue smoke billowed up from the ground and a white pegasus emerged from within. On the joints of its wings were two large sapphires. On its neck and ankles were a black necklace and bracelets. In the center of its forehead was a ridged, black horn. It snorted as it landed on the field, its wings blowing away the smoke.

Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus
ATK/1800
LV 4

“When Sapphire Pegasus is Summoned, I can take another Crystal Beast from my hand, deck or Graveyard and turn it into a Continuous Spell.” Another card floated out of Dash’s deck and placed itself on the curved duel blade. A giant amber gemstone appeared on the field.

“Amber Mammoth, I presume?” said Paradox. “It’s generally considered polite to say these things.”

“After everything you’ve done, you don’t deserve polite!” Dash snapped. “I end my turn with three face-downs.”

“My turn,” said Paradox. “I activate my own Continuous Spell, ‘Malefic Space-Time Distortion’. So long as there is a Field Spell in play , this card’s name is treated as ‘Malefic World’ and it cannot be destroyed by card effects.”

“Okay...” said Dash.

“I send ‘Stardust Dragon’ from my Extra Deck to the Graveyard in order to Special Summon ‘Malefic Stardust Dragon’ to the field!” said Paradox. Massive wings beat against the air as Stardust Dragon appeared. Dark smoke covered its eyes as a black and white mask clamped down on its head. Black and white armor clanked against the dragon’s torso, knees and wings. The creature roared, almost in pain.

Malefic Stardust Dragon
ATK/2500
LV 8

“That’s Yusei’s card!” shouted Dash. “What have you done to it?! How DARE you!”

Paradox ignored her. “Malefic Stardust Dragon, attack Sapphire Pegasus,” he ordered. “Shooting Sonic!” Stardust inhaled and launched a dark beam at Dash’s monster.

“I activate Advanced Dark’s effect!” said Rainbow Dash. “When a Crystal Beast I control battles, I can negate the damage the damage by sending another Crystal Beast from my deck to the Graveyard.” The blast struck Sapphire Pegasus and destroyed it, then continued to Rainbow Dash. A massive emerald appeared before her, blocking the attack. As the beam and the emerald faded, Dash said, “And since it was destroyed, I can turn Sapphire Pegasus into a Continuous Spell instead of sending it to the Graveyard.”

“I end my turn,” said Paradox.

“My turn!” said Dash. Another card floated out of the black Duel Disk. “I summon ‘Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle’ in Attack Mode.” An eagle appeared on her field. Cerulean gems adorned its chest and wings.

Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle
ATK/1400
LV 4

“I activate Cobalt Eagle’s effect,” said Rainbow Dash. “Once per turn, I can send a ‘Crystal Beast’ card on my field to the top of my deck. I’ll choose Sapphire Pegasus.” The sapphire gemstone vanished from Dash’s field.

“Activate them now,” whispered a dark voice. Dash’s eyes narrowed. Paradox didn’t seem to notice; he simply stood at the opposite end of the circle, waiting.

“Won’t I skip six turns, though?” Dash asked.

“You will only skip your next two,” said the voice. “Play them now!”

“Alright, alright,” Dash grumbled. “I activate my three face-down ‘Reckless Greed’ cards. I draw six cards and skip my next two Draw Phases. I’ll end my turn with a face-down.”

“Impressive,” said Paradox. “But it won’t help. I send ‘Red Dragon Archfiend’ from my Extra Deck to the Graveyard to summon ‘Malefic Red Dragon Archfiend’ to the field!”

Crimson flames erupted behind Paradox and a red, demonic dragon appeared behind him. Another black and white mask clamped itself around this dragon’s head. Black and white spirals wrapped around its three horns. Malefic armor appeared on its chest, shoulders, wings and legs.

Malefic Red Dragon Archfiend
ATK/3000
LV 8

“Just how many of these things do you have?!” said Dash.

“My deck is comprised of the most powerful cards from throughout Duel Monsters history,” Paradox answered. “Malefic Red Dragon Archfiend, attack Cobalt Eagle! Absolute Powerforce!”

Blood-red fire consumed the fiendish dragon’s hand. It slammed its palm into the Eagle and closed its fist around it.

“I send ‘Crystal Beast Amethyst Cat’ to the Graveyard so Advanced Dark can protect my Life Points!” said Rainbow Dash. “Next, instead of letting Cobalt Eagle turn into a crystal, I’ll let it go to the Graveyard so I can activate ‘Crystal Pair’! When one of my Crystal Beasts is destroyed by battle and goes to the Graveyard, I can play a Crystal Beast from my deck as a Continuous Spell Card.” A large ruby appeared in front of Dash.

“Collect as many gems as you like,” said Paradox. “It doesn’t matter. Malefic Stardust Dragon, direct attack.” Malefic Stardust spat its dark beam at Rainbow Dash. She simply watched it approach. It struck, creating an explosion. The smoke cleared and revealed Rainbow Dash grinning. A Life Point Counter hovered next to her.

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 4000

“What?!” said Paradox. “But how-?”

“Crystal Pair’s second effect,” sneered Rainbow Dash. “For the rest of the turn, I don’t take any Battle Damage.”

“Fine,” said Paradox. “I end my turn.”

“My turn,” said the pegasus. “But because of Reckless Greed, I have to skip my Draw Phase.”

Dash reviewed her hand. The dark voice began to whisper in her ear again.

“I think I can play my deck just fine, thanks,” she snapped. “I summon Sapphire Pegasus again, and with his effect, I’ll put ‘Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger’ on the field as a Spell Card.”

As the great pegasus flew onto the field again, a giant yellow gemstone appeared next to the ruby and amber.

“Now I play ‘Crystal Promise’,” said Dash. “This lets me Special Summon one of my Crystal Beasts from my Spell Zones. I summon Ruby Carbuncle and activate its effect! When it’s Special Summoned, it summons all of my other Crystal Beasts from the Spell Zones.”

A tiny cat-like creature with emerged from the ruby. Its fur was purple and a small ruby sat on its forehead while a larger ruby sphere rested on the end of its tail. The runed rings around the duelists began to glow and a black, spiked collar appeared around its neck. The ruby on its tail began to glow and the gems behind it cracked as two more beasts emerged. One was a mammoth with four long tusks, layered black armor on its legs and trunk, and a black flail on the end of its tail. The other was a white tiger. The same black armor adorned its legs, while its tail was armed with a curved, black blade.

Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle
ATK/300
LV 3

Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth
ATK/1700
LV 4

Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger
ATK/1600
LV 4

“I Set two cards face-down and end my turn,” said Dash. Two cards slid into the disk before her, and larger versions appeared on the field.

“My turn,” said Paradox, drawing a card. “Time to end this. I send ‘Cyber End Dragon’ from my Extra Deck to the Graveyard in order to Special Summon ‘Malefic Cyber End Dragon’ to the field!” A monstrous, mechanical dragon appeared. Each of its three heads roared as it emerged from a distortion in the ground.

Malefic Cyber End Dragon
ATK/4000
LV 10

“Malefic Cyber End Dragon, attack Ruby Carbuncle!” ordered Paradox. “Eternal Evolution Burst!”

“I activate Amber Mammoth’s effect!” said Rainbow Dash. “When a Crystal Beast I control is targeted for an attack, I can change the attack to Amber Mammoth!” As she spoke, the mammoth stomped its way over to Ruby Carbuncle and stood between it and the oncoming fireballs.

“Next I play the Trap ‘Amber Crystal Circle’. When Amber Mammoth is attacked, it gains the Attack Points of all other Crystal Beasts on my field!”

Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth
ATK/5400

“What?!” said Paradox.

“Amber Mammoth, take him down! Mammoth Rundown!” The mammoth’s armored trunk sliced through the fireballs as it ran forward, ramming into the body of the robotic dragon. It burst through the dragon’s back, causing it to explode.

“A pathetic attempt. I activate the Quick-Play Spell ‘Malefic Energy Drain’,” said Paradox. “This reduces the damage I take this turn to zero and lets both of us draw one card. But I cannot activate other Spells or Traps this turn.”

“You dodged some damage, big deal,” snorted Dash.

“Do not underestimate him,” said the dark voice.

“If Yusei can beat him, then so can I!” Dash snapped.

“Who are you talking to?” asked Paradox.

“That’s none of your business,” Dash said sharply.

“Then I shall make it my business,” Paradox replied. “I am an android.”

“A what?”

“An android. A living machine. With a few adjustments, I can see things on many different wavelengths.”

“Come again?”

Paradox sighed. “It means that I can see colors you’ve never even heard of. Now, let’s see what you’re hiding... ah. I see.”

“You see? See what?”

“Nightshroud,” said Paradox. “I know of the creature’s existence from the historical records. I suppose this explains how you are able to wield cards without your own magic, as well as the dark nature of your cards.”

“He can see you,” whispered Rainbow Dash.

“I am aware,” said Nightshroud.

“I Set two cards face-down and end my turn,” said Paradox.

“My turn!” said Rainbow Dash. “Because of Reckless Greed, I can’t draw a card, but that ends next turn. Besides, I have this: ‘Dark Spirit Art - Greed’! By Releasng a DARK monster on my field, I can draw two cards, but you can negate this effect by revealing a Spell. I Release Sapphire Pegasus.” The pegasus looked back at her before vanishing. Two cards floated from her deck to her hand of cards. “I’ll Set a card and call it a turn.”

“My turn,” said Paradox, drawing a card. “I activate the Quick-Play Spell ‘Malefic Whirlwind’. This changes all of your monsters to Defense Mode and lets me draw one card.” Strong gusts of wind kicked up and raged around the duelists. All of Rainbow Dash’s monsters took a defensive stance to shield themselves from the blasts.

Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth
DEF/1600

Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle
DEF/300

Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger
DEF/1000

“Malefic Red Dragon Archfiend, attack Amber Mammoth!” ordered Paradox. “Absolute Powerforce!” The fiendish dragon slammed its flaming claws into the mammoth and destroyed it. No crystal appeared in its place.

“Malefic Red Dragon Archfiend’s effect activates,” said Paradox. “When it attacks a Defense Mode monster, it also destroys all of your Defense Mode monsters. Fiend Meteor!” The dragon roared and threw two fireballs from its hands at Dash’s remaining monsters. They were also destroyed, but no crystals appeared.

“Malefic Stardust Dragon, attack!” said Paradox.

“I play the Trap ‘Rainbow Gravity’!” said Rainbow Dash. “When there are seven different ‘Crystal Beasts’ on my field or in my Graveyard, I can summon a ‘Rainbow Dragon’ monster from my deck. Rise, ‘Rainbow Dark Dragon’!”

A dark, serpentine dragon rose up from the ground. Black plates of armor edged with gold and embedded with jewels clattered against each other. Jet black feathers ruffled in the air as massive wings spread above smaller, golden ones. The creature roared as it snaked its way through the air.

TO BE CONTINUED