• Published 13th Aug 2017
  • 1,272 Views, 11 Comments

A Different Path - StarFall825



Starlight's guilt has always been there, but her mind-control fiasco along with a discovery in the human world makes her question if some ponies really do deserve second chances. Fortunately, she has good friends to help her move on from her past.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,272

Chapter Two

With a short cry, Starlight was forcefully ejected out of the portal... right into the arms of the waiting Sunset. A little too forcefully, Starlight thought, as she heard Sunset give a pained ‘guh’ sound as she hit the waiting human squarely in the stomach.

“Hey, Sunset, you okay?” Starlight stepped back, getting a good look at her friend. “Thanks for the catch.”

No problem,” Sunset wheezed, holding her stomach where Starlight hit. “I'm starting to think the portal has something against me.” Sunset grinned, then punched Starlight lightly on the arm. “You're looking good, Starlight.” Starlight looked down at herself. She was sporting the same look she had last time she went through the portal, ripped jeans, vest and all. Looking at her friend, she saw she was wearing her typical leather jacket and leggings.

“You too,” Starlight returned, both the compliment and the punch. “So, what do you have planned for today.”

“Well, like I wrote to you in the journal, my friends here are pretty busy this weekend, so I figured I'd invite you to hang out. But, we’re all available later today, and we've got something fun planned for you.”

“Oh, what's that? Starlight grinned in excitement at the idea of some new experience.

“Laser tag; yep, it's just as awesome as it sounds.” Starlight was beaming ear to ear from just the name alone, and Sunset couldn't help but smile too. “But for now, I have classes in twenty minutes.”

“Classes?” Starlight's smile faded in her confusion. “I thought you said it was a weekend?”

“Not quite, we still have a half day of school here. We get out of class at noon, and then we have about three and a half hours before everyone has to go their separate ways, more than enough time for a couple games of laser tag.”

“Well, okay,” Starlight said, still confused, “but if you weren't available till later, why have me come so early?”

“I wanted to give you a chance to get used to walking on two legs again.” Sunset gave a pointed glance at her slightly shaky legs. “Laser tag involves a lot of running, don't want you tripping and hurting yourself because you just got here.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Starlight allowed as Sunset reached into her backpack. She pulled two pieces of paper out of her bag, one small and green, the other one larger, white, and covered in scrawlings.

“Here,” she said, giving Starlight both. “Money for food if you get hungry, and a map to the mall. I wasn't sure you would remember how to get there and back, so I drew the map.” Starlight turned the map back and forth until she had it right way up. “Why don't you go hang out there for a couple of hours, then meet us here at noon.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Oh, there was one other thing,” Sunset said as she closed her backpack. “Are you sure you don't want to stay the whole weekend? Everyone's busy this weekend, but we still made time for a slumber party at my place on Sunday. It'd be real nice if you came.”

“I... sure, I guess I'll come.”

“Great! But...you sure you want to? You don't exactly seem excited. I know you said you wanted to be back to welcome Twilight home.”

“I did, but...” Starlight shrugged gloomily. “I don't think Twilight wants me to be there to welcome her back.”

“What! What would ever make you think that?” Sunset looked at her in stunned concern.

“I... I messed up the other day. And I mean really messed it up. So badly I don't want to tell you what I did. Everyone forgave me, and Twilight said she wasn't mad but... I guess I think she should be.” Starlight sighed in despair. “I guess a part of me is expecting to get a message from Twilight saying not to bother coming back.”

“That's ridiculous Starlight, Twilight really cares about you, she would never do something like that.” Sunset reached out to grab Starlight's shoulder to try and comfort her. Starlight responded with a despondent moan.

“Mmmmm... I know! Ugh, I just can't stop myself sometimes, I just think of the worst possible thing and then it's all I can think about.” Starlight put her hand over her eyes for a few seconds, then looked up with as cheerful a smile as she could manage. “It's fine, I just get these thoughts sometimes.”

“Look,” Sunset began, giving her shoulder a squeeze before letting go. “Why don't we talk about this later tonight, or even tomorrow?”

“I'd really rather we didn't.”

“These kinds of thoughts aren't healthy Starlight, and it isn't going to do you any good if you just ignore them. Besides, you helped me when I had doubts of my own, it's my turn to repay the favor.” A loud bell went off in the school, and Sunset started to back up towards it. “I have to go, but seriously, we're going to talk about this later.”

Great,” Starlight groaned under her breath as she waved goodbye. “Can't. Wait.” She heaved out a heavy sigh, and looked back at the portal. Maybe I should just go back, she thought with despair. No, Starlight, get a hold of yourself, your friend is just trying to help you. She sighed aloud again, then looked at the map. Might as well go have a look around instead of just hanging out here.


You know, in hindsight, I'm really glad I stayed, Starlight thought as she took another bite of chocolate bar. I'm not sure about all the biological differences between ponies and humans, but chocolate tastes so much better as a human!

The mall was mostly empty, though it was pretty early in the morning. Most of the shops hadn't even been opened when she got there, so she had spent her time walking around looking in store windows. Wandering around the mall, seeing all the sights and sounds had lifted her mood considerably. Not enough to talk to Sunset about Twilight though, she thought, moodily taking another bite. Probably.

Okay, it'd be nice to talk to someone I can trust about this. Sunset has a... checkered past as well, she's not going to judge me to harshly. But still, I don't want to seem too we-

Starlight’s thoughts were interrupted by the gentle chime of a bell. Looking down, her breath caught in her throat as she saw the needle on the compass around her neck had stop it's lazy circular spin, instead now bouncing back and forth between two points.

It works! She thought with excitement, holding it up and facing in the direction it was pointing. She took couple excited steps in that direction before freezing mid stride.

Starlight, you promised, her conscience badgered her.

“But this could be my only chance to see, well, me,” Starlight muttered to herself. The compass point swayed back and forth enticingly.

You promised you wouldn't do anything reckless.

“And...I won't, I'll make sure she doesn't see me, no danger if she doesn't even know I'm there.”

You promised you wouldn't go anywhere near her.

“If I'm not even close enough for her to see me, I'd say that's nowhere near.”

What about your friends? They're getting out of school soon, your going to be late.

"Not necessarily; I've got a watch, if it looks like I'm going to run out of time, I'll just turn back."

Her conscience had nothing to say to that, or maybe it knew better than to try and win a futile battle.

Or maybe I should stop arguing to myself like a crazy person.

Looking around, she noticed even her quiet tone had drawn concerned stares from the few people around. She quickly headed in the direction the compass indicate, giving those staring a nervous chuckle and grin.

She followed the compass out of the mall and down the street. When she got around two blocks away, she noticed the back-and-forth movement of the compass point was definitely getting narrower. I'm getting closer, she thought with excitement. A little ball of nervous guilt had settled in her stomach, but her eagerness and curiosity buried it far enough that it didn't even slow her down.


“She's late, Sunset,” Rainbow Dash said for the twentieth time. All seven girls plus Spike were hanging around the portal, waiting for Starlight. Rainbow Dash was playing with her soccer ball, Fluttershy was petting Spike, Twilight was studying, and everyone else was just lazing about. They all, however, looked bored. “Seriously, we've been waiting two hours! I didn't realize she was the type to ditch on people.”

“Oh, come on now, I don't think she would do that,” Twilight said as she looked over her textbook. “Maybe she just lost track of time.”

“Two. Hours.” Dash repeated, juggling her soccer ball. The rest of the girls shared an uneasy look.

“Look, girls,”Applejack spoke up. “I'd love to stay and wait for Starlight Glimmer, but I have chores I got to get done before I start my work shift. Even if she gets here now, we'd only have about ten minutes before I've got to leave.”

“And I have soccer practice later. Starlight was supposed to be here so we could have time for a couple games of laser tag, but there's no time now. And I wouldn't want to leave anyone out anyways.”

“I need to get to the animal shelter,” Fluttershy looked around, hoping to spot Starlight. “But, what if Starlight is hurt, or lost. We should go look for her.”

“I'll go look for her, girls,” Sunset said as she stood up and brushed off the back of her leggings. “She's probably just wandering around the mall, or looking at some cool new gizmo. Remember how long Princess Twilight spent in the library that one time?” They all laughed at the memory, except Twilight who just looked confused. Spike jumped out of Fluttershys arms and ran over to Sunset.

“Did you want me to go with you?” He asked, wagging his tail in excitement. “I could help you sniff her out.”

“Good idea, Spike. Do you mind if I borrow Spike, Twilight?” Twilight shook her head, slipping her textbook into her school bag before standing up.

“Just make sure he gets home tonight, I need my study partner for tomorrow.”

“I will,” she assure her friend. “I'll see you tomorrow Dash, Fluttershy.” The group of friends waved their goodbyes, each going their own ways. “Let's go, Spike.”


“What in Equestria would Starlight be doing in a place like this?” Sunset wondered aloud. “This isn't even anywhere near the mall.”

“Don't know,” Spike answered, raising his nose to take an extra long sniff. “She is in there though.” He walked up to the fence surrounding the area, looking back and forth for the missing girl. Sunset saw his ears perk up, then he started to point excitedly with a paw. “Oh, oh, there she is!” Sunset looked in that direction, and saw her at the top of a slight hill, kneeling down in the grass. She was alone, and seemed to be just... staring at the ground.

“No, seriously, what is she doing?” Sunset muttered to herself. “Thanks for helping me find her, Spike. Twilight would be furious if I lost her like that.”

“No problem, Sunset, but, uh, do you mind if I go ahead and start heading home? It's already pretty late.” Spike looked to the west, noting the sunset already crossing the horizon. “I'd go with you to check on Starlight, but... I really don't want to go in there.” Spike looked back towards Starlight, and Sunset noticed the fur on his back start to rise. “I don't like the smell of the place.” Sunset reached down and gave the dog a comforting scratch behind the ears.

“Of course, Spike, you were more than enough help,” Sunset said. She turned back towards Starlight as Spike scampered off in the direction of his home, and spoke again softly to herself. “I know just how you feel.” She walked through the open gate, and turned to walk up the hill towards her missing friend.

I know places like this aren't supposed to be creepy, Sunset thought to herself as she walked up the hill, being careful where she stepped. But is there anyone who actually finds these places comforting? As she neared her friend, she noticed Starlight was sitting completely still, as if lost in thought, or sleeping.

Or dead, she realized with an irrational chill, before she could help it. C’mon Sunset, pull yourself together. Sure, finding your friend in a graveyard is pretty creepy, but there’s no reason to let your imagination run away from you like that.

“Starlight! What are you doing in a place like this?” Sunset stopped a foot behind her. “Do you have any idea how worried I was when I found out you left the mall?”

“Sunset?” Sunset frowned; Starlight didn't sound quite like herself. “What are you doing here?”

“What? Starlight, do you have any idea what time it is?” Sunset felt her old temper try to rear its head as Starlight wouldn't even look at her, but she choked back the angry words that first sprang to mind. “What are you even looking... at... oh.”

Sunset felt a chill settle in her gut as she read what little part of the headstone that wasn't covered in leaves and moss. There was still more than enough showing to know whose grave they were in front of.

“This...” Starlight said quietly, as she reached out a hand to brush away the moss and leaves covering the gravestone. “I really didn't expect something like this,” Even though Sunset could tell what the words had said before, she still felt a chill as she read them in whole.

Starlight Glimmer

Author's Note:

Release Scedule:
Part three is finished and is being edited, will be released soon.
Part four is still being written, don't expect it till next week.