• Published 13th Aug 2017
  • 1,272 Views, 11 Comments

A Different Path - StarFall825



Starlight's guilt has always been there, but her mind-control fiasco along with a discovery in the human world makes her question if some ponies really do deserve second chances. Fortunately, she has good friends to help her move on from her past.

  • ...
1
 11
 1,272

Chapter One

Friday Morning

Twilight Sparkle slowly walked down the hallway of her castle towards Starlight Glimmer’s room, letting out a leisurely yawn as she went, just to shake out the last of her ‘nighttime sleepies’. Humming a tune to herself, she went over her early morning checklist once more.

Hmm, Wake Up, check.

Go Over The Morning Checklist, check.

Wake Up Spike, check.

Make Breakfast, check.

Eat Breakfast, check.

Congratulate Yourself For Being On Schedule, check. Eh, let's double check that one.

That only left Check On Starlight, and then See Starlight Off Through The Portal. Then she could move on to her mid-morning checklist. Twilight turned the last corner on her way and saw Starlight's room further down the hall. She smiled to herself as she heard Starlight's voice in her head. There's no way you could know where we are, every hallway and door looks exactly the same in this place.

Twilight shook her head at that. True everything looked the same here, but from day one it was like she knew the place like the back of her own hoof. It somewhat worried her at first, almost like the castle was designed with her specifically in mind. But although she found it disquieting at first, now it was just another way the castle felt like her home.

Twilight reached out to knock on her student’s door, when she heard a small crash and muttered curses inside. Concerned, the princess put her ear against the door. “C’mon, you blasted thing, work with me,” she heard Starlight mutter to herself.

“Starlight,” she called through the door, “are you okay in there.”

“Door’s unlocked, come on in! No, just.. get in there.”

Now more curious than concerned, Twilight pushed the door open. Starlight was hunched over her desk, mechanical parts and junk strewn everywhere. “What are you working on Starlight? Shouldn't you be getting ready to go?”

“Twilight! Thank goodness you're here, I could really use your help.” Starlight held out her forehooves, something held in both. Looking closely, Twilight saw one hoof held a few strands of Starlights hair cut to about an inch long, and the other was a... compass? “I need you to use your magic to take this bit of hair, and put it into this hole here.” She pointed to a slot barely bigger than the head of a pin on the side of the compass.

“Why do you need me to do it?” Twilight asked, her brow furrowed in confusion. “This should be pretty easy for you.” Despite her confusion, Twilight grasped both items with her magic and began lining them up.

“Yes, well, I sort of forgot I wouldn't be able to use my magic when I made this device.” Starlight’s cheeks turned a slightly darker pink, embarrassed by such a simple error. “I had to magically ground my hair so it wouldn't give off traces of my magic, but if I use your magic to put it together, it won't ruin what I'm trying to accomplish.”

“And what are you trying to accomplish, exactly?” Twilight said, as she finally was able to finesse the two pieces together. The dial on the compass started a lazy spin, not settling on any one point of the compass face. “Making a compass that doesn't work?”

“Heh, not exactly,” Starlight grinned. Twilight smiled herself as she saw her pupil adopt her typical ‘I just did something impressive’ stance. “Think of it as an early-warning device. This compass points to large concentrations of the same genetic markers in my hair. In other words, it points to any pony that matches my DNA. But more specifically, it points to ones without my magical energies.” Starlight crossed her front hooves, a cocky grin on her face that slowly faded as Twilight just looked at her blankly.

“Oh. Uh, well, you know I'm going to visit Sunset this weekend, and-”

“Of course!” Twilight said, facehoofing in embarrassment. “You're making a device that points towards your human counterpart.” Twilight’s face scrunched into a frown. “I don't think that's such a good idea, Starlight.”

“What do you mean?” Starlight looked a bit upset as she uncrossed her hooves.

“Really?” Twilight said, disbelief etched on her face. Was Starlight really that clueless? “Look, I get that you're curious about what human you is like, but you can't just go find her. Messing with the balance between worlds like that could be dangerous. There's a reason I haven't gone through the portal myself since Sunset befriended her Twilight.”

“Uh, that hadn't occurred to me honestly,” Starlight said, a look Twilight found troubling crossing her face. Twilight mentally kicked herself.

“Starlight...” Twilight began with a knowing scowl.

“No, really, like I said it's a warning device,” Starlight said with a smile Twilight found far too innocent to be comfortable with. “I made it to let me know if that world’s Starlight was nearby, but not to find her. I'm not even sure what kind of range it has, I've never had a chance to test in the other world. It's just to let me know I should be careful so she doesn't see me. Honest!”

“Yes, and now that I put the idea in your head, you're thinking about it,” Twilight said, pointing an accusatory hoof at her impulsive friend.

“Me? No way, I wouldn't think of it,”Starlight said with a smile and a distant look; clearly she was thinking of nothing else. Twilight ground her teeth in frustration.

“I'm serious Starlight, it could be dangerous. At best, you let even more people know there's another world out there, and at worst you... well, I don't know, but it could be bad.”

“But just think of it, Twilight,” Starlight said, her eyes shining with excitement. “Another me, but also not! She could be anything, it's a chance to see how my life could have been different. Like how the other Twilight is different from you.” Starlight started jittering about on her hooves in excitement. One look at her mentor’s face sobered her quickly.

“Fine, Twilight, you win. You're right, I won't go looking for any trouble.” Starlight looked over at her clock and then grabbed the compass, her saddlebag, and tried to walk around Twilight. “And you're right, I do have to get going. You're only going to be gone until tomorrow evening, and I want to be here to welcome you back.”

Twilight quickly stepped in front of her. “Starlight, I want you to promise me you won't do anything reckless.” Starlight rolled her eyes and sighed, but she sat down and raised her right hoof.

“I, Starlight Glimmer, do promise to not do anything reckless. If this compass goes off, I promise I will not get anywhere close to my human self. Good enough?” Starlight stood up and walked around her teacher, who turned to follow her. They walked down the hallway to the portal library side by side.

“I suppose so,”Twilight grumbled. “I know you would never purposely put anypony in danger, but you don't always think things through. Like last week, with the whole mind-control spell. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm choosing to trust you Starlight.” Please don't make me regret it. She threw a partially annoyed glance her students way, only to notice the quick flash of guilt Starlight felt. Did I say that last part out loud, she worried.

“You know, you could always stay the whole weekend” Twilight said, quick to change the subject. “I know how much fun you had on your last trip through the portal.”

“No, it's fine,” Starlight replied, giving her a cheerful smile back. “I want to be here to greet you. Trust me, it's the least I could do.”

“I just don't want you to miss out on any new exciting experiences. I won't need you for a couple of days after I get back anyways.” That should cheer her up, Twilight thought to herself as they reached the library. Reaching out with her magic, she pushed the doors open.

The portal was open and ready to go. Spike must have already put the journal in after breakfast, Twilight thought with pride. The number one assistant pulls through again.

“Are you sure you don't want me to be here to greet you?” Starlight turned to face her, a bit of worry on her face. “I don't want you to think I care more about having fun than studying friendship.”

“Oh, Starlight, that's why I'm sending you to visit Sunset Shimmer. Just think of it as a friendship free study lesson.”

“Right; free study. No pressure, no deadline. Just have fun.” The prospect didn't seem to please her, and Twilight started to wonder if there was something else bothering her.

“Exactly,” Twilight said, as she wrapped her friend into a warm hug, a hug she earnestly returned. So earnestly, that Twilight added a bit of wing for good measure. “Now go on, and remember to have fun.

“I will,” Starlight promised, before she turned and walked towards the portal. Reaching out a hoof she gave a testing poke, watching with some nervousness as it went through the barrier. She turned and gave Twilight one last smile, which she returned with a big wave goodbye, then took a deep breath and went through.

Twilight's cheerful smile slowly faded away as she lapsed into thought. I shouldn't have brought up the mind-control spell, she feels bad enough about it already. Starlight has made good progress, despite her recent setback, but it's obvious she's holding herself back. She's so afraid of failure and rejection, that even the smallest assignment I give her that isn't magic based gives her a panic attack.

Okay, she thought blushing, maybe I'm not one to judge somepony for that. But she still has a problem. She treats friendship like a puzzle that needs to be solved instead of a fulfilling experience to share with others. I need to find some way to get her to relax.

Twilight spent most of the rest of the morning lost in thought, until the realization of how much time had past shook her from her stupor. Great, now I've lost precious time I need today. Between spacing out and Starlight, I'm way behind schedule.

Then she grimaced as that fact fully registered for her; raising up her checklist and quill with her magic she firmly crossed out Congratulate Yourself For Being On Schedule, with two check marks. Giving one last huff of frustration, she left the library to go find Spike. They had lost time to make up.