• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 663 Views, 33 Comments

The Northern Sky - DashTillDawn



A pony is found, deep in the ice of the Frozen North. He had been comatose for thouands of years, until somepony woke him up, and rediscovered a long-forgotten piece of Equestrian history. Let's just say: it was forgotten for a reason.

  • ...
0
 33
 663

The Horrible Truth

The train ride to Canterlot was awkward and quiet. Twilight and I had so many questions for this newcomer, but we didn't want to press a fragile topic. This colt had lost all of his friends in what probably felt like one night. Asking him all of our questions would only further remind him of what he lost, and he was obviously distressed enough as it was.

With nothing else to do, we all stared out the closest window. At one point, my eyes met North's, and he gave me a faint smile, in an attempt reassure me. It didn't work. I could see the pain in his eyes. I wanted to comfort him, but I had no clue how. Saying the wrong thing would only make things worse. I finally settled on doing nothing, so I just turned back to the window.

Pulling into Canterlot, I realized that a new alicorn might draw some unwanted attention.

"It's going to be warmer here, but you should keep that coat on. We don't want to draw a crowd just yet."

"I guess that makes sense. Before I wound up frozen in ice, it wouldn't have mattered, but I guess times have changed." It sounded like an attempt at humor, but I couldn't tell.

We made our way to the castle, and walked inside. Surprisingly, both princesses were on their thrones. Usually, they would be up and moving, getting things done. Well, Celestia would. Luna should be sleeping by now. They saw us coming, and greeted us warmly, as usual.

"Ah, Twilight, Starlight, welcome back! And, who have you brought with you? He looks familiar." Called Celestia.

Neither of us knew exactly how to introduce North, so I simply pulled off his coat.

"We've found the source of your 'magical anomaly.'" Twilight said.

The princesses turned their attention to the newcomer, and their eyes grew wide. They recognized him.

"North!" Shouted Luna, while her sister conveyed her equal surprise.

"I'm amazed that you recognize me, after all these years. Nice place you've got here." He said, almost depressed.

"How are you still alive?! I thought all of the other alicorns were vaporized." Celestia said.

"No sister, we knew all other alicorns were vaporized. We saw it happen." Luna corrected.

"I was hoping you'd be able to tell me. What happened to everypony on the day of your ascension? Why didn't it happen to me?"

"It's a long story, and we would prefer not to tell it in front of these two." Celestia stated, motioning to Twilight and I.

"Anything you're going to tell me, they should be allowed to hear it, too. They've earned the right to hear this, as well."

"I suppose it was only a matter of time before somepony found out. It started the instant we earned our wings. We were the first ponies to ever attempt it at the same time, and we didn't truly know what would happen." Celestia started.

"When we finished the last test, there was a blast of magic as a result. It was too much power for most ponies to handle." Luna explained.

"All other alicorns were destroyed, as well as all ponies capable of ascending. We became the last of our kind." Finished Celestia.

"Then how do you explain Twilight and I?" North pushed.

"We've only recently began finding ponies capable of becoming alicorns, like Twilight." Celestia pointed at the princess.

"And as for you, well you were always one of the most powerful ponies we knew. You may even measure up to our levels of magic. I suppose your body was able to handle the power, but it sent you into a sort of catatonic state. When you finally started becoming responsive again, it created a distortion in Equestria's harmony. We sent these two to find out what it was, which is how they knew to look for you." Luna filled us in.

"So, we're the last ones?" North tried.

The princesses, now with tears in their eyes, could do nothing more than nod.

"I need some air." North rasped, failing at keeping in his own tears.

Twilight and I were speechless. We were used to hearing shocking information, but nothing like this. There was a time when alicorns were as normal as any other pony, and then they all vanished. When I came to my senses, I snapped Twilight out of her shock.

"What?" She asked.

"We've got to do something. You know the princesses better, so you go to them. I'm going to find North and see if there's anything I can do for him."

"Got it."

We parted ways, with me going down the hall North had taken.


I sat on the railing of the balcony, lost in thought. So lost, that I almost didn't hear the door open behind me. Almost.

"North?" Starlight's voice called.

I didn't budge, nor did I acknowledge her.

"Are you alright?"

"Do I look alright?"

"No."

"Then, what do you think?" I didn't really expect an answer, so I was shocked when I got one.

"I think that you could use some company." She said.

If it were anypony else, I would have said 'no,' but this mare seemed different. She genuinely seemed to care.

"Climb on up." I invited, patting the stone railing to my left. When she hesitated, I gave some slight assurance.

"I've got wings, you know. I'll catch you if you fall."

Though she still didn't seem to like the idea, it was enough to convince her. I probably could have worded that better, but right now I really didn't care. She sat beside me, and we looked down at the city below. We must have been at least ten floors up, maybe more. The sun had recently dipped below the horizon, and the first stars were shining through. We sat in silence, but that wasn't a bad thing. She was right when she thought that I needed the company. Finally, I built up to saying something.

"You know, I used to go on flights when I was worked up. I would fly for hours to blow off steam."

"We could do that, if you wanted. I can use my magic to levitate myself."

"No, I won't make you do that. This is close enough. Besides, if I was going to test my wings for the first time in thousands of years, I wouldn't want to do it ten stories up." I joked.

"What if I fell?"

"Then I would make an exception."

"You'd risk your life to save mine, even when I could save myself?"

"Of course! You're the closest pony I have to a friend. And Twilight, to a lesser extent."

"If Twilight wasn't consoling the princesses right now, she would have came out here too."

"But she didn't. You, on the other hoof, you did. That means something to me."

...

Neither of us were quite sure of what we were doing until we had already done it. The next thing I knew, my muzzle had met hers, and neither of us shied away.