• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 663 Views, 33 Comments

The Northern Sky - DashTillDawn



A pony is found, deep in the ice of the Frozen North. He had been comatose for thouands of years, until somepony woke him up, and rediscovered a long-forgotten piece of Equestrian history. Let's just say: it was forgotten for a reason.

  • ...
0
 33
 663

The Bittersweet Ascension (Prologue)

Author's Note:

If you dislike, please tell me why. I'm still learning and I like criticism.

Today was the big day, but I wouldn't even be there to see it. Today two unicorns would try to earn their wings- Celestia and Luna, I think. It would be the first time two ponies had ascended at the same time in Equestrian history. Everypony was going to be there. Well, everypony except for me. I had to be searching for some stupid artifact down in these stupid caves, in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

It was a frozen wasteland out here, and the only reason I wasn't suffering from hypothermia was the lack of wind in these caves. The wind chill dropped the temperature another thirty or forty degrees, and ripped right through whatever layering you may have to shelter from the cold.

My brother had told me that there was some artifact out here- an amulet or something- and it possessed the power to destroy entire kingdoms. I told him that I would find it for him, but I really planned on giving it to somepony who would keep it safe. My brother was too devious to be trusted with something like that.

It was dangerous for an artifact like this to be left out here, where anypony could find it, but it wasn't worth freezing my flank off to find it. Another hour. I told myself. I would search for one more hour, and if I couldn't find it, I was going to head home, and search for it another time. Or never. Probably never. I couldn't feel my face anymore.


I spent the full hour I had allotted myself, but still found no sign of whatever this thing was in these walls of ice.

"Alright, that's it! I give up! It's freezing cold down here, and I'm loosing my mind! I mean, I'm starting to talk to myself, for goodness sakes! I'm going home!" I yelled.

I made my way to the mouth of the cave, saddle bags in tow, and overlooked the wasteland of ice ahead of me. It would be a long walk home. Then, something caught my attention. On the horizon, I could see a light. It was as white as the snow around me, but so much brighter. There was something weird about it, but I couldn't quite figure it out. It looked almost like it was... growing? No, not growing, it was a shock wave, and it was headed right for me!

I dove back into the cave, and had barely enough time to raise my shield before it overtook me. Unfortunately, it didn't matter. The wall shattered my shield, and I felt the most excruciating pain in my entire life. It wasn't confined to one spot, either. It was everywhere. It was even ripping through my insides.

I was out before I even hit the ground. Everything went black, but I became minutely aware of the fact that I wasn't dead. My heart had slowed to a point that one might not even be able to tell if it was beating. I stopped breathing altogether. My mind became a jumble of unfinished thoughts. The only thing I could do was tell myself that I was alive.

I couldn't see or hear my surroundings. I knew help wasn't coming, as nopony knew I was here. The only thing I could feel was cold. Still, I had survived. All I could do was lay there, half buried in snow, and pray. No, I couldn't even do that. My thoughts faded, so I focused on the cold. I was cold. So, so cold.