• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 663 Views, 33 Comments

The Northern Sky - DashTillDawn



A pony is found, deep in the ice of the Frozen North. He had been comatose for thouands of years, until somepony woke him up, and rediscovered a long-forgotten piece of Equestrian history. Let's just say: it was forgotten for a reason.

  • ...
0
 33
 663

The Losing Battle

North met us near the Crystal Heart, while we tried to figure out what to do. Midnight had damaged the Heart almost to the point of breaking it. It was clear that he had intended on destroying it, but didn't quite succeed. Shining Armor was caught up with the guards, but still found time to check up on Twilight here and there. Cadence had gone with Twilight and I, to inspect the damage. The whole scene felt like the aftermath of a big battle. Everypony was quiet and somber, unsure of what we had to do next.

"I just don't understand." Cadence sobbed. "Who would do such a thing?"

"I can answer that." North spoke, approaching us. "It was my brother, Midnight?"

"Why would he do something like this?" Just hearing that North was related to the culprit automatically made Cadence suspicious of North, even though she was willing to trust him with her sister-in-law's life, minutes ago.

"The answer to that question is not very well defined. It is an educated guess, and even that is generous. I believe that Midnight is doing this against his will." North explained.

Having our full attention, we stayed quiet, indicating that we wanted to hear more.

"I think that Midnight is just following orders from somepony more volatile than he, for Midnight has always been mischievous, but he was never this downright evil. I don't know how or why, but somepony is either threatening to take away something Midnight cares about, or has him under a spell."

"What makes you so sure of this?" Twilight inquired.

"Throughout our conversation, Midnight dropped a few subtle hints as to what might be going on. Just before he left, he said he had 'business elsewhere', and 'destiny calls.' He never used either of those expressions before, and he doesn't even believe in destiny."

"Alright, so he's doing this because he's forced to. That doesn't tell us how to stop him." I stated.

"Yes, I recognize that. I have yet to solve that problem, but I may know where he's going next: Ponyville."

"What gives you that idea?" Twilight asked.

"Starlight gave me a brief explanation about your Cutie Map, Twilight. If Midnight has attacked the Crystal Heart, then your map is next."

"Why?"

"He is going after objects of hope and power. He means to destroy anything that has the potential to stop him. He'll go after the Cutie Map, Canterlot's Private Spell Library, and eventually, the Tree of Harmony itself. He may even be the reason you almost died, Twilight."

"What would make him come after me?"

"He recognized that you were powerful, and tried to make your death look like an accident, due to hypothermia."

We got quiet after hearing this. If North hadn't been here, we might have lost Twilight. On top of that, all of Equestria's symbols of peace and harmony were in danger. It was a lot to take in. When we started to recollect ourselves, Twilight spoke up.

"What are we waiting for? Somepony tried to kill me, and now he's threatening to ruin our home. Let's go get him." She sounded calm, but I could make out that the cool was just a façade. Twilight was mad- no, Twilight was furious. She was venomous, and she meant harm. It was disturbing, and potentially dangerous. For the first time since I had met Twilight, she was out for blood, and it struck me with fear on a level that I had never felt. We would have to do something about it, but I was too afraid.

"North, Cadence, come here. We need to talk." I declared, hoping Twilight wouldn't catch on. We got into a close huddle before I was willing to talk.

"What's wrong, Starlight?" Cadence asked, her concern showing.

"Twilight seems different. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Yes, I noticed it. She's angry."

"We have to calm her down, before she does something she'll regret." I whispered.

"Is there anything we can say to her? We've never been in this situation before."

"Maybe her brother knows what to do." I proposed.

We looked around for Shining Armor, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. But then we had a bigger problem: Twilight wasn't there either.


I already knew where Twilight was going. She was out for revenge, and I had told her exactly where to find it. Stupid! Twilight now had everything she needed to kill the stallion that had nearly succeeded in killing her. Stupid! I should have known better than to tell Twilight that it was Midnight's fault. Stupid! And now I had a new dilemma: I could defend my only surviving relative, and be viewed as the bad one, or let Twilight get rid of him, and feel guilty for the rest of my life.

We had boarded the next train to Ponyville, which was an hour behind the one we presumed Twilight had taken. Cadence had wanted to come with us, but we opted for her to stay with her Empire. With the Crystal Heart in the state that it was, they would need her.

Starlight was visibly nervous, but there wasn't much I could do for her. I appeared strong, but I wasn't. It's very hard to comfort another pony when you, yourself don't even believe the words you're using to comfort somepony else. I ended up resting a hoof on her back, which helped, but only slightly. She gave me a faint smile, but I could still see the worry in her eyes.

Twilight or Midnight. I would have to choose, when the time came. Neither option ended happily. Midnight was doing this against his will, but Twilight wouldn't care. She only cared about her friends and Equestria right now, and Midnight was threatening both of them.

I closed my eyes, went deep into thought. I wouldn't open my eyes again until we were in Ponyville, but I wasn't yet asleep. How could I be? With all the stress, it was surprising that I wasn't having a breakdown. At some point, I became aware of a head resting on me, and a light snoring. Starlight was concerned that I wouldn't take too kindly to her leaning on me, and waited until she thought I was asleep. Needless to say, I didn't flinch away, nor did I move her off of me. In truth, that was just what I needed to calm me down enough to fall asleep.

I later realized something else, as well: Starlight viewed me worthy of resting upon, but was afraid that I didn't feel the similarly towards her. I would have to find a way to show her that I cared, if the opportunity presented itself. Until then, my priority was between Midnight and Twilight. In a few hours, one of them would die, and only I could decide who.