• Published 25th Jul 2017
  • 663 Views, 33 Comments

The Northern Sky - DashTillDawn



A pony is found, deep in the ice of the Frozen North. He had been comatose for thouands of years, until somepony woke him up, and rediscovered a long-forgotten piece of Equestrian history. Let's just say: it was forgotten for a reason.

  • ...
0
 33
 663

The Darkening Sky (Part 2)

The time had finally come. North was active enough to make the trip to Canterlot, and Midnight had reluctantly agreed to go with us. The other five had wanted to come along, but Twilight told them that Ponyville might need them if things didn't work out. The four of us were making our way to the train station, though I was starting to despise the constant train rides. The occasional trip was fine, but it was almost a regular occurrence now.

Twilight had agreed to pay for the tickets, while North and I claimed a bench. Midnight was still uncomfortable being around large groups of ponies after what had happened, which made him somewhat introverted. Unless it was absolutely necessary, he avoided contact with other ponies, so he opted to stand at the edge of the station, nearest to the rails.

Soon, Twilight came back, and levitated tickets to each of us. According to the time stamped onto the front, the train should be here any minute. To pass the time, I surveyed the train platform. There was a pair of unicorns- probably vacationing from Canterlot- as I didn't recognize them- and a lone stallion. He had been staring at me, but when I noticed him, he quickly turned away. Strange, but he was probably just shy, and wanted to avoid eye contact.

Twilight had brought a new book with her, and had it flipped open. Midnight was peering down the tracks, watching for the train. North just eyed the ground, not having anything to do. The sun was about halfway along it's climb, casting shadows as large as the pony that made it. Occasionally a cloud would cover the sun, making the shadows fade away, before creeping back as if they had never disappeared. It was a beautiful day, and I hoped that nothing would spoil it, but our meeting with Celestia and Luna might do just that. Why couldn't we ever go to them with good news?

Midnight perked up, and waved us over. Shortly after I stood up, the train whistle sounded a little ways up the tracks. I was mildly impressed with how early he had been able to detect the train, though North's ears had straightened around the same time Midnight stiffened up, indicating that North had heard it long before I did.

All ponies at the station made their way to the edge of the platform while the sound of squealing brakes and metal-on-metal drowned out all other sound. The train slowed to a stop, and the doors glided open. As I prepared to step over the gap between the car and the platform, the stallion I had seen earlier cut me off, almost causing me to fall. It was an incredibly rude and unexpected gesture. I opened my mouth to chastise him, but he had already moved deeper into the train.

We stepped inside and claimed our seats. Midnight went to the back row, while the rest of us sat closer to the front of the car. Naturally, North and I sat together, and Twilight was just across from us. I was visibly frustrated, and North noticed this.

"What's bothering you, Starlight?"

"The stallion that got on before us cut me off."

"Why are you so worked up over something like that?"

"I could have sworn I caught a dash of red in his eyes as he did so."

His mouth opened, but no words came out. He closed it again, contemplating what that could mean. We had determined that the spell Midnight was under turned his eyes red while he was on his destructive rampage. If another pony was under that spell, what was to say that there weren't dozens of ponies trying to do exactly what Midnight had? I would have to bring this incident up while we were holding our conference with the princesses.

The train lurched forward, marking the start of the newest leg of our journey. Out the window I could see the station passing by, followed with a nice view of Ponyville. Soon the town was fading away in the distance, and we were on our way to Canterlot.


The ride to Canterlot was uneventful, which means it should have been relaxing. It wasn't. I knew that Celestia and Luna had only the best intentions, but I still felt nervous seeing them. Maybe it was because I was afraid of the bad news they would inevitably have for us. Maybe it was because they were one of the only connections I still had to my old life. I honestly didn't know what it was, but I could feel my anxiety heightening as we drew closer.

On top of that, Starlight had given me a new reason to worry. She had told me about some stallion that was potentially under the same spell that had once controlled my brother. If this was true, then we were going to have our hooves full when we walked out of that castle. I couldn't predict what the princesses would have to say, but there was no doubt in my mind that it wouldn't be anything good.

I peered out the window, watching but not registering. I saw trees and grass whiz by, which gradually turned to rocks and shrubs, as we climbed a mountain. We crossed bridges and traversed tunnels. This is what was in front of my eyes, but I didn't notice any of it. I was lost in thought, only half conscious of my surroundings. If somepony were to call my name, I wouldn't have heard them. It crossed my mind that Starlight should have tried to snap me out of my state, but she was just as lost.

I was finally startled out of my trance by the first train whistle, signifying that we were close to Canterlot. Starlight had managed to block it out, so I gave her a gentle nudge. Her eyes refocused as she looked back at me.

"We almost there?"

"The first whistle just blew."

"It did?"

"Yeah, but you were too zoned out to hear it. You okay?"

"Just thinking about... everything."

"If you need somepony to talk to..."

"I'm fine."

She wasn't fine, but I left it at that. If she needed to talk about whatever it was, she'd come to me when she was ready. I hope.

The train pulled into Canterlot Station, and the whistle sounded again. The doors slid open, and our group climbed out. The station was fairly busy, but that was normal here. Canterlot was the capitol, after all. Once we made it out of the crowd, we started the short walk to the castle, where Celestia and Luna would be waiting.


It was noon when we pushed through the massive castle doors. The first room we faced was the throne room, where the princesses would usually be when they were expecting company. Today must have been an exception, as the oversized chairs sat empty. I turned to Twilight, hoping she would know what to do.

"What now?"

"They're here somewhere. They might be in the dining hall. Sometimes we talk there."

So we followed the Princess of Friendship to the dining room, but still had no luck. This time North offered up a place to look.

"Could they be in their bedrooms? On their balcony, perhaps?"

We trotted deeper into the castle, and up several flights of stairs. We were finally greeted by a closed door, marking the entrance to Celestia's personal quarters. She only tended to close the door while she was inside, leading us to believe that we had found her. Twilight knocked, and the door was opened by a yellow aura.

"Over here." A familiar voice called from the balcony. We stepped into the room and through the open glass doors, leading out to a large overhang that provided a view of the city below, as well as most of Equestria. This high up one could see for miles, which suited the ruler of the land perfectly. Celestia stood at the railing, looking over her domain.

"What are you doing up here?" Twilight questioned her mentor.

"Look out there, and tell me what you see." Celestia returned.

"I see... I see a great kingdom, being looked upon by it's equally great leader."

"Then tell me: do you know what it's like to rule over a land, and not have a say in what happens to it?"

"I can't say that I do."

"I may be this kingdom's leader, but right now, only you and your friends can control what happens next."

"I'm not sure I follow..." Twilight stated.

"Take a closer look out there." Celestia pushed.

Twilight prepared to respond, but paused. She squinted into the distance.

"What's that?" She pointed. I followed her hoof to a dark cloud, high in the air. It loomed on the edge of the horizon threateningly.

"That is what I am referring to. Before my sister and I brought Equestria into it's state of harmony, there was only Darkness, controlled by forces that go beyond even my understanding. Now the Darkness has returned, and it means to rid the land of harmony. If we cannot stop it, there will be no more kindness, no more loyalty, no more laughter or generosity or honesty. Worst of all, there will be no magic in the sense that we are used to. The magic will be as dark as the powers that will control it. I know all of this, but I can do nothing to stop it."

"What do we do?" I spoke up. "Where do the Elements of Harmony fall into this?"

"The Elements of Harmony can do nothing to help, not alone, at least."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I pressed.

"You must combine the Elements of Harmony with Equestria itself."

"How do we do that?"

"Equestria was forged from four things: Earth, Air, Ice, and Fire. Four ponies have been selected by each of these Forces of Nature as their vessel. Find them, and together you will be able to stop the Darkness." Now all attention fell upon Midnight and North.

"I suppose I was chosen by the Ice." North said.

"And I would be the Fire." Midnight added.

"Then you still need Air and Earth. Air will be a pegasus- perhaps in Cloudsdale- and Earth will be an earth pony- probably right back in Ponyville. They will both be from the same time period as Midnight and North."

"How will we know who they are?" Twilight asked.

"They will try to blend in with everypony else. Look for things that stick out."

"Like what?"

"You'll have to figure that one out on your own. You must hurry. I fear we only have a matter of days left before the Darkness is upon us."

We said our goodbyes, and prepared to head out, but I remembered one last thing I wanted to ask.

"We encountered a pony that might have been under the same spell Midnight was. Could that be related?"

"I believe that it was not a spell, but it was the first hints of the Darkness trying to stall you. It knows that you are a threat, and will do everything in it's power to keep you from reaching the others. Be prepared for anything out there." Celestia warned.


Outside of the bedroom, we tried to form a plan.

"It would make sense to go to Ponyville first. We can get the rest of the Elements, as well as this earth pony." Twilight advised.

"How will we even know where to look?" Starlight questioned.

"We'll have to wait and see. Right now we just need to get back home."

So we headed back to the train station again. During the walk there, I turned to Starlight.

"You sure you're up for this?"

"I've made it this far."

"You don't have to. It won't be easy, and there are a lot of dangers along the way."

"If you have to do this, then I'm going along for the ride."

"Then stay safe out there. I can take care of myself, so you just do the same. Don't put yourself in danger for me."

"No promises."

"Starlight, this isn't a joke."

"I'm not joking."

"Just making sure... You're the one thing that keeps me going. I can't have you getting hurt."

"I'll be fine. Don't worry."

I gave in. She was determined to help, and I couldn't talk her out of it. Whether that was good or bad, I had yet to find out.