• Published 27th Jul 2017
  • 953 Views, 25 Comments

The Music That Binds Us - Dreams of Ponies



Octavia gets hurt attending one of Vinyl's performances. How will Vinyl make it up to her?

  • ...
1
 25
 953

Fortissimo

The pounding wouldn't stop.

Every thump, every thud, never ceasing. At this point, her headache was throbbing with the beat, her internal biology betraying her distaste as she scowled up at the stage.

"I don't know how you can even stand this, Vinyl. Even if this music was palatable, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it while it's being shoved down my throat!"

Vinyl Scratch swiveled her bar chair to face Octavia, a wide grin plastered underneath her bobbing muzzle.

"Aw, come on, Tavi," Vinyl pleaded. "I know this music isn't really your thing, but hey, how often do you get invited to perform in the newest club in Canterlot?"

Octavia shook her head, each motion falling in time with the downbeat.

"Never, Vinyl. You were the one invited, remember? I'm still confused as to how I got here..."

"Because it's my big day? Because you like watching me work my magic?" Vinyl tilted her head slightly, her tinted glasses sliding down just a bit to reveal those amazing magenta eyes. "Because I know how to tune your cello?"

Octavia shoved a hoof against Vinyl, her cheeks puffing out as she glared at her friend. Sighing heavily, she managed to smile, even with the constant bass rattling her bones.

"I do admit that you can be very... animated... at times, and that smirk you get when you really get into it is just adorable."

Vinyl grinned as she hopped off her stool, levitated a small glass over, and finished it with one gulp.

"Hey babe, as much as I like hearing how cool I am, it's time for The Scratch to take the stage."

Octavia stifled a small laugh, watching as Vinyl trotted towards the stage. The pony behind the turntables nodded his head to the beat, his horn not only working the equipment, but also providing a bit of a light show. As she watched the small display of orange and red fireworks die down, the song coming to the end, Octavia saw a white pegasus dive from backstage, grabbing a microphone that hung from the ceiling.

"Everypony give a big cheer for Fret Note! That was wicked, Fret!"

The crowd between Octavia and the stage roared their agreement. Fret Note gave a wave and a quick bow before taking his leave. Vinyl approached from offstage, giving Fret Note a hoof-bump as she passed him.

"Now introducing The Queen of Wubs, The Master of Mixing herself, Vinyl Scratch!"

Vinyl walked coolly up to the equipment, tracing it casually in her magic. She closed her eyes and smiled as she got a feel for the setup. She did this every time before she played, and Octavia always enjoyed watching her typically boisterous friend become perfectly calm, as if she were about to conduct a symphony.

Vinyl flipped a record in the air, giving it a moment to spin, before it fell onto the table. Then the music started. Octavia hadn't even noticed its absence until that moment, her residual headache still keeping time with a muted melody. It started off low enough, as it usually did, until it picked up in both volume and tempo. A second record was added, and with the mixing of melodies and bass, the crowd exploded once more.

Octavia grimaced at the cacophony of hooves, stereo, screams and whistles, watching Vinyl as she moved in time with the beat. When Vinyl got into the groove, she would sometime spin and hoof-bump the air with a confident smirk. A small smile crossed Octavia's face, even as her ears drooped a bit. She had tried, on several occasions, to learn to enjoy the genres of music that Vinyl was enthralled by, but to no avail.

"It's just... not my cup of tea, Vinyl."

Even so, she had come along to the opening of the Bass Palace. Vinyl knew just how to pluck Octavia's strings, and in the end, had worn down her resolve. All that was left was to endure a bit longer, just until Vinyl was done, and then they'd be off to a particularly exquisite restaurant in the city — the carrot that Vinyl had used to get her here.

Octavia caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of her eye and found a drink had been set in front of her. She eyed the small glass of liquid bronze, a silver-coated earth pony behind the bar giving her a knowing smile.

"Headache now or headache later?"

"That's not quite my cup of tea either... but I appreciate the thought, Mr... "

"Just call me Winnisiegh, everypony does," he said with a chuckle.

"Octavia Melody."

The liquid inside the small glass still warbled around, almost taunting her.

"Never partook, Ms. Octavia?"

"I don't like the idea of giving up control of my decisions."

"It's not like that, darling." Winniseigh chuckled as he poured a second drink, holding it up gingerly for her to see. "Rather, it douses the fire in our mind and lets us just be in the moment."

Octavia scooped up the drink with her fetlock and gave it a little swish. A small smile crept onto Octavia's face as she raised it to Winnisiegh.

"Will it let me enjoy Vinyl's music?" The stallion smiled and nodded, his eyes darting to the stage, then back to Octavia. "To the Princesses, I suppose." Octavia smiled as the stallion raised his own glass to meet hers and echoed her sentiment.

The next hour passed a little faster after that, and Octavia lost track of exactly how many drinks she'd had. The pounding in her head had receded somewhat, and she was observing Vinyl's performance with a silly smile.

"Wooo! Go, Vinyl!" Her hooves went wide as she waved them enthusiastically, nearly tipping off her bar stool in the process. After an instant of peril, Octavia righted herself, giggling all the while. She looked up in time to catch Vinyl's stare, and though dark glasses obscured Vinyl's eyes, her dropped jaw still clued Octavia in to where she was looking.

The music wound down, Octavia's hoof tapping to the diminishing beat as it faded into nothing. Getting up, she gave a small bow to Winnisiegh, who laughed and waved her off. She made her way to the stage, staggering between the jumbling herd of ponies, until she was front and center.

"Octavia?"

'Yes, Vinyl, that's my name."

"Oh, sweet Celestia, you're drunk."

"What? No..." Octavia gave an adorable hiccup, her cheeks tinting red. "Okay, maybe a little."

"I've still got one more song, but maybe we should get you home, filly."

"Oh, no, you're not gonna leave all these ponies hanging, and then blame me for it in the morning!"

The ponies listening in nodded their agreement, and some started stomping their hooves in protest.

"One more song! One more song!" yelled the voices in near-unison.

Octavia took that moment to trot to the side, albeit with some difficulty, and make her way up onto the stage. She swayed her hips, either for balance or for some other effect as she approached Vinyl. She got extremely close, and then whispered into Vinyl's ear.

"One more song, Ms. Scratch, if you would."

Then she licked from the top of Vinyl's neck, all the way to the tip of her ear. Vinyl shivered involuntarily, her muzzle actually twitching as she nearly stumbled back to her equipment. One final moment of calm permeated the stage as Vinyl's mind was surely screaming with exploding fireworks.

"If you insist, filly."

The last song went by in a blur as Vinyl moved with renewed vigor, the crowd jumping and stomping along with the music. Octavia found herself caught up in their enthusiasm as she danced in her own way. Her half-twirls and saunters went perfectly from her perspective, though in actuality, probably appeared rather comedic. Nopony laughed, though, maybe because she just seemed so into it.

The music crescendoed with its grand finale, and Octavia's inhibition was finally lost to the storm of music and liquid courage. She turned and galloped to the end of the stage, and then jumped out with her hooves outstretched, as if trying to fly across the room. The herd of ponies beneath her, surprised by her sudden attempt to grow wings, scattered like insects.

Thump

"Octy... Octy! Octavia!!!"

Author's Note:

Big thanks to all my prereaders, y'all know who you are, for giving this story a good look through.

I have all but the last chapter written for this story, and should be finishing that today, so I'll be publishing a chapter every day or so. It's not a long story, but I wanted to make sure it was nice and tied up before I started publishing. As always, comments and critiques are more than appreciated.

With love and dedication, Dreams of Ponies :twilightsmile: