• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 3,664 Views, 61 Comments

A Baby Zebra's Apple Turnover - Foal Star



Apple Bloom accidently turns Zecora into a foal, and decides to be the one to help care for her until a cure can be found.

  • ...
8
 61
 3,664

Chapter 2: Zecora becoming a foal

Later that night, Zecora woke up to a squishy, wet feeling around her rump. She kicked about hearing, her diaper squelch loudly as she mumbled, “Oh no, my diapee is soaked!” She then heard her tummy rumble and groaned, “I hungwy too,” The little zebra turned to Apple Bloom and whispered, “Abbwe Boom, Abbwe Boom.”

Apple Bloom turned in her sleep, and Zecora started to tear up as her foalish instincts took over and she began to wail, making Apple Bloom wake up in shock, “Wha?!” She turned and grumbled upon spotting the source of the distress, “Oh, Zecora, what’s wrong?”

Zecora turned and whimpered, “Abbe Bwoom, my diapee is wet, and I hungwy.”

Apple Bloom nodded sleepily and yawned, “Alright, I’ll be there in a second,” She wobbled over to Zecora, picked the zebra up, and patted the foal’s soggy rump and whimpered, “Yeah, you’re one soggy filly alright.”

Apple Bloom then took the foal grudgingly to the changing pad, started to slowly unzip the nightie, and began stripping Zecora of her soggy diaper. Zecora sniffled as she babbled, “Tanks, Abbwe Bwoom.”

Apple Bloom cooed lightly, “It’s no problem, I promised to take care of you, and that’s what I’m goin’ to do.” She finished changing Zecora’s diaper and strapped her up in a nice, clean one. She then picked Zecora up and slowly placed a prepared bottle into Zecora’s mouth.

Zecora suckled for a while, looking up at the tired Apple Bloom, whose eyelids drooped. When Zecora had finished her bottle she was placed back in the crib and tucked under the covers over her crib. Zecora whimpered as she thought. “I hope I don’t wake Apple Bloom up again. Such an act would fill me with dread.


“Apple Bloom...Apple Bloom!” A voice called out next morning.

Apple Bloom turned, mumbling. “Not now Zecora, few more minutes.”

“Apple Bloom!” The voice shouted, causing Apple Bloom to jump up in shock and find that the voice was coming from her big sister Applejack! Apple Bloom was still groggy and had bags under eyes as she mumbled, “What?”

“Apple Bloom, ya doin’ alright?” Applejack asked with concern.

Apple Bloom got out of bed, mumbling, “Yeah, and why wouldn’t I be?”

Applejack eyed her sister and added, “Well, ya only have ten minutes before school starts.”

”What?!” Apple Bloom gasped! She jumped out of bed and ran downstairs in a hurry, as Applejack went over to Zecora snuggling her plushie, looking up at Applejack who was smirking at the foal, “Good mornin’, little Zecora.”

Zecora blushed, hugging her plushie, “Mowning.”

“So, Zecora, ya keep Apple Bloom up last night?” Applejack asked with a smirk.

Zecora babbled sheepishly, “A wittwe, I had a few soggy diapees and was hungwy.”

Applejack nodded, “Yeah? Well, I told ya two before that this was gonna happen,” Zecora put her hooves over her face, and Applejack picked her up to check her diaper, gagging at the smell, “Oh Apple Fritters, you have a poopy diaper!”

Zecora moaned, “Aw, anotha diapee change? I had wike thwee wast night.”

Applejack laughed. “Better get used to it, sugarcube, foals use their diapers a lot.” She then placed the foal on the changing table, removed the nightie from Zecora, and started changing the soiled diaper.

Zecora whimpered as she asked, “So, uh, I guess I can’t sweep here anymowe, wight?”

Applejack replied while rubbing in the rash cream, “Well, I think it’ll be better if you slept in my room from now. Apple Bloom’s only a filly and needs her sleep. As for me, I’m used to staying up late Applebuckin’, so carin’ for ya durin’ the night shouldn't be too much of a problem.”

Zecora nods in agreement and babbled, “Otay, I’ww tew Appwe Bwoom tat I gonna sweep in ya woom tonight.”

Applejack nodded, as she finished powdering Zecora’s rump and strapped her up in a new diaper. “Thanks, Zecora, and don’t worry. Apple Bloom may be a little disappointed, but I think it’ll be for the best.”

She then picked up the little zebra, went downstairs, placed her in her highchair, and strapped a bib around her neck. Granny Smith took out some Applesauce and started feeding her slowly and carefully as Zecora accepted spoonful after spoonful.

Big Mac came up smiling at the two, “Mornin’.” He greeted.

Granny Smith turned and greeted in reply. “Mornin’ Big Mac.”

“Hi Big Mac.” Zecora chirped.

“Hi, how did ya sleep?” Big Mac asked, making small talk.

Zecora put her hooves over her eyes, making Applejack laugh as she explained, “She kept Apple Bloom up last night. Her foalish instincts are kickin’ in.”

Zecora pouted, “Onwy a wittwe bit, I was hungwy and peed my diapee. I didn’t mean to keep wakin’ up Appwe Bwoom.”

The big ponies all laughed out loud as Granny Smith cooed, “Oh, it sounds like little Zecora here is becomin’ a foal. I better keep a good eye on her from now on.”

Applejack nodded, “You do that, Granny. I’ll go to Twilight’s and see if she’s found a cure yet.”

“And I’ll get some of the chores done.” Big Mac added.

Zecora looked up and asked, “Can I hewp with the chowes, Big Mac?”

Big Mac blushed, “Thank you, Zecora, but uh…”

Zecora pouted as she asked, “Bu wha?”

Granny hugged Zecora tightly. “Oh, don’t worry. It’s nice of ya to offer, Zecora, but Big Mac can do the chores just fine by himself. How about you help me make an apple pie instead? It’ll be better than goin’ outdoors and get all hot and smelly.”

Zecora sighed and nodded, “Otay, bu I jus wanted to be hewpfuw.”

Big Mac gave Zecora a kiss on the forehead and replied, “Thanks, but I’ve got everythin’ under control, don’t need to add foalsittin’ to my list of responsibilites at the moment. You be good for Granny, Zecora. Stay out of trouble.” Zecora hugged his muzzle, making Granny and Applejack daww.

Big Mac blushed again and walked away as Applejack laughed, “Oh, Big Mac, is such a big softie when it comes to foals.”

Granny cleaned up little Zecora’s mouth before she cooed, “Well, we’ll get to makin’ ya a apple pie while you’re gone.”

Applejack turned to Granny Smith and replied. “Alright, just make sure Zecora washes her hooves, and make sure she’s far away from that oven.”

Granny waved a hoof. “Oh, stop all that fussin’. Of course I’ll keep Zecora safe. I took good care of you, Big Mac, and Apple Bloom, didn’t I?”

Applejack replied back “I'm just sayin’, it's been awhile since Apple Bloom was in diapers. And you ain’t taken care of a zebra foal before,” She came over and gave Zecora a peck on the cheek. “Now I know you're a guest and all, Zecora, but you’re a foal now. That means ya better listen to Granny while I’m gone, ya hear? I don’t wanna come back and hear you’ve been naughty.”

Zecora nodded. “Dun wowwie, Abbwejack. I’ww be a good wittwe foaw.”

Applejack smiled, “Alright, Granny Smith I shouldn' be long I reckon. And if ya need help, please let Big Mac know.”

Granny Smith rolled her eyes, “I’ll be fine, I’ve had plenty of experience with foals raisin’ my kids and grandkids, I don’t think this will be any different,” Applejack gave her a nod before setting off, as Granny took Zecora over and sat her on the kitchen counter, “Now, let's get bakin, shall we?”


Twilight with bags under her eyes and grumbling to herself, was staring at her books on potions including “Supernaturals”, the same book she’d foolishly dismissed during the poison joke incident. “There's just so many ingredients and herbs in this potion. It’s going to take me years to make an antidote. There’s gotta be something more near term, even just temporary,” She grumbled to herself. She then heard a knock at the door and mumbled, “Spike, open the door please.”

Spike came down the stairs, took one look at how tired Twilight seemed to be, and went straight to the door.

”Hey Spike, how’s it goin?” Applejack asked, when the door was opened.

Spike sighed, shaking his head, “Not too good I’m afraid.”

Applejack eyed the baby dragon carefully, “What, ya mean somthin’’s wrong?”

Spike nodded as he explained. “Twilight has been looking for a cure all night, and she’s found nothing. Heck, right now she can barely stand. I’ve seen this happen before, she gets so wrapped up in her studies that she almost completely shuts out everything else until she collapses from exhaustion.”

Applejack sighed, she knew what that felt like. She sure as hay wasn’t about to let Twilight do the same. “Alright, I’ll go talk to her and make sure she gets some sleep,” She assured Spike. Spike nodded and lets Applejack inside, where she saw Twilight half awake, looking at her books. “Alright, Twilight, come on. You need to rest.” The cowpony encouraged.

“The cure..I..I think…” Twilight mumbled in exhaustion.

Applejack took a hoof and helped her friend up the stairs as she explained, “Ah, don’t ya worry. Little Zecora is fine with us. I didn’ expect the cure to be made in a day. We can handle a foal for a couple of weeks or months.” She then helped the unicorn into bed and tucked her in, even as Twilight mumbled,”I...I can’t go back to sleep. Not now!”

But Applejack nuzzled her, “Now stop right there, sugarcube. You did what you can, now get some rest,” The cowpony pulled the sheets over her friend, as Spike giggled, putting a claw over his mouth. Applejack got up and said to Spike. “Well, looks like you're goin’ to have to make sure Twilight stays in bed for a while.”

Spike nodded, “I tried telling her to get some sleep before, but when Twilight gets like this there’s no use trying to reason with her. Trust me, you don’t want to see how she reacts to tests.”

Applejack chuckled, “Yeah, I have no doubt about that,” She then turned to a clock and groaned, “I better get back and make sure Zecora is doin’ okay. I know Granny watched me and my siblings before, but she’s old and can be stubborn when it comes to help. Runs in the family I’m afraid.”

Spike saluted, “Don’t worry, Applejack, I’ll take good care of Twilight. Just say hi to the little cutie for me.”

Applejack smirked and replied back. “Alright, Spike. And you tell Twilight that Zecora is fine, and we’ve got things under control,” Then she rushed downstairs.


Back at Sweet Apple Acres, Granny Smith was grabbing supplies for the pie crust and was busy mixing everything together, as Zecora was sitting on the counter, bouncing on her diaper and sucking her hooves. Granny Smith laughed, “Oh, you're such a sweetie. And a darn good baker’s assistant too,” She then cleaned Zecora up and placed her on the ground with some toys, “Now sit here, while I put the pie in the oven.” She instructed.

Zecora nodded, watching Granny pour the batter into a cake pan. Turning to her plushie, Zecora babbled, “Beary, tey do so much fow me, but I can’t do anythin in wetuwn. I gots to do mowe ten just hewp make a abbwe pie,” She turned to the back door, and an idea came to her. ”I wana hewp wiith ta chowes, wike Big Mac!” She exclaimed. She wobbled off and headed out the door, gasping at the size of farm. She turned to the pigs, who were squealing and wallowing in the mud. She wobbled over in excitement, poking her head through the fence as she chirped, “Hi, I Zecowa,” They all came over, nuzzling her as she giggled, “Hey, I bet ya aww hungwy,” They just kept on sniffing her as she stepped back. “Awwight, I go get ya food,” She turned to a pile of slop nearby, came over, and looked into the barrel mumbling, “I can’t cawwy any of tis ova ta fence.”

Zecora grabbed some of the slop in a small cup, waddled over to the fence, and climbed up slowly, grumbling. “I can do tis!” She then tipped the cup over as the pigs gazed up at her, and watched the small drop plopped into their trough. They all just stood there, blinking, as they all looked up at the little zebra, who looked down at her small drop and sighed, “Yeah, tis is hawda ten it wooks.”

Zecora went to get more, but gasped as she fell backwards into the pig pen and went right into the mud! The pigs squealed in fright, coming over to her as they used their muzzles to help her up! Zecora was giggling the entire time and babbled. “Tanks.” They all nodded as she waddled through the mud and back over the fence.

Zecora groaned, seeing that some mud had gotten into her diaper. The baby zebra groaned, checking inside and seeing mud deep in the padding. She mumbled. “It wooks wike I got ya aww messy, but I stiw didn’ hewp. Thewe’s gots to be somthin ewse I can do, but wa?” She looked across the farm to the barn, where the cows were kept and she pondered, “I wonder if I can go miwk some of tem?” She wobbled over to the barn nearby, gazing up at the cows as she babbled, “Hi.”

They all dawwed as one brown coated cow cooed, “Hello little one, who are you?”

Zecora babbled, “My name is Zecowa, and I wanna hewp miwk ya.”

The cows all laughed as one asked, “Now why do you need to do that? Besides, I don’t think you can reach our udders.”

Zecora pouted and placed her hooves on her side, “Can too, I just need a stoow.” The cows all laughed again, as Zecora grabbed a stool and dragged it over to one of the cows. She crawled on top of the stool, trying to grab a udder, only to plop on the ground, making all the cows daww as she started crying. The cows all dawwed and one white coated cow with brown spots knelt down and nuzzled Zecora. “What’s wrong, Zecora?” She asked.

Zecora (still sniffing) whined, “I just wanna hewp ta Abbwes, but I can’t do anythin. Aww I do is make mowe pwobwems fow tem.”

The cow cooed, “Oh, don’t you fret, you’re just a foal.”

Zecora cried, “But I not! I used to be a big zebwa, and I was gweat at makin’ cuwes and hewpin ponies. But now I just a foaw, and I can’t whyme wike a twue zebwa.”

The cow cooed again, “Oh don’t you fret, deary. If the Apples took you in, they’re doing it out of the kindness of their heart. Trust me, it’s not unlike what we cows have going on with them.”

Zecora sighed, “I know tat, tat why I was twyin to hewp with ta chowes. But I just got aww muddy and messy.”

The cow came over and licked Zecora, cooing once again, “It’s alright, foals are always messy.”

Zecora giggled as the cow licked her, “Tat tickwes.”

The cow poked Zecora lightly, “Oh, does it now?” She continued to nuzzle the foal, making the baby zebra squeal in laughter. Then they heard a voice cry out, “She must be in the cow barn!”

Zecora turned to the front, and crawled under the gate. She saw Granny Smith running up to her and taking her into an embrace, “There you are, Zecora. I was so worried about ya!” She exclaimed.

Big Mac came up, sighing in relief, as the cow that had been helping Zecora replied, “It's okay, the little one here is perfectly fine. She was just trying to milk us.”

Granny Smith then checked the foal over and grumbled, “Well, other then the mud in her diaper, she seems alright. Thanks Bessy.”

The cow nodded “Anytime.”, as Zecora put her hooves over her eyes whimpering. “Uh oh, I in twoubwe.”


Zecora was brought inside and carried to the bathroom, where Granny Smith gave her a bubble bath. The baby zebra was currently covered in bubbles and was whimpering as she asked, “Gwanny Smith, am I in twoubwe?”

Granny scrubbed the baby zebra’s belly, cooing, “Oh don’t worry ‘bout that, dear, you're goin’ to be just fine,” She continued to scrub, making Zecora kick and gurgle as Granny cooed, “You have soft fur, ya know that?”

Zecora blushed and waved a hoof, “Wew, I did take good cawe of it when I was a big zebwa.”

Just then, they heard the door open and Applejack shout, “Granny, I'm back!”

Granny sighed, “Well, no use tryin’ to hide what happened. Come on, Zecora.” She then rinsed the suds from Zecora’s fur and wrapped her up in a fluffy towel as she shouted, “I'm givin’ Zecora a bath!” Granny then powdered and strapped the baby zebra into a new, fresh diaper. And then went downstairs with Zecora holding on tightly.

Applejack was whiffing the smell of the fresh apple pie still in the oven and turned, “Wow, that apple pie sure does smell good.”

Granny Smith gave her granddaughter a sheepish smile before replying. “Well, thanks. But umm..I have to tell ya somthin’, just don’t get mad, okay?”

Applejack eyed her as Zecora quivered, hugging Granny Smith’s mane as the farm pony asked. “Did somthin’ happen while I was gone?”

Granny Smith reluctantly confessed. “Well, ya see. I was puttin’ the pie in the oven, and that’s when Zecora went out the back door.”

“She what?!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Now calm down, Applejack, nothin’ bad happened,” Granny Smith insisted. “Zecora only played in the mud and was with the cows when I found her. That's why I was givin’ her a bath, she got mud on her fur and in her diaper.”

Applejack took a few breaths, calming down as she turned to Granny, “Alright, well thanks for tellin’ me, Granny,” She then turned to Zecora and scolded her, “Now Zecora, just why the hay did you go outside by yourself? What in tarnation were you thinkin’?”

Zecora gulped and stammered, “I...I was just twyin to help Big Mac with the chowes.” And she started bawling.

Applejack groaned slightly. “Zecora, we told you before, you're a foal now and ya need to learn that ya can't do some things right now. Ya could’ve been trampled by the pigs, or gotten a rash from sittin’ in that muddy diaper. You need to promise ya won’t try to sneak off like that again.”

Zecora gave a nod, “Otay, I pwomice I’ww not do tat again.”

Applejack took Zecora by the diaper and put the foal in the stroller, “Ya better not,” Then she added. “And I suppose I should tell ya, that Twilight worked all night and hasn't found a cure yet.”

Zecora gasped, “Weawwy?!”

Applejack strapped Zecora in as she explained, “Yeah, that means that you could be a foal for some time, and if that’s the case then we’re goin’ to need more foal stuff. You've already almost gone through an entire package of diapers.”

Zecora blushed as she looked up and asked, “Wait, I not in twoubwe?”

Applejack gave the foal her plushie and replied, “Seein’ as nopony got hurt, this time you’re off the hook. But this better not happen again, ya understand. When I was a foal if I did somethin’ like that I’d usually end in time out, or even get a spankin’ if my folks thought I did somethin’ especially bad. I didn’t like gettin’ em, but they helped me learn right from wrong. I don’t wanna have to give them to you, understand?”

Zecora nodded. Even where she came from, little ones were taught early on the importance of behaving well, and a variety of discipline methods were used to keep said little ones in line.

Granny Smith sighed in relief and replied, “Alright, I should get back to the apple pie. It should be ready by now.”

Meanwhile, Applejack grabbed the pink diaper bag and strapped it around her as she agreed, “Good idea. While ya do that, I'll grab some stuff at the store with Zecora.”

Zecora giggled. “Wha we gonna get?”

“Well, foal locks for the doors, a playpen, blocks, maybe even a bouncer, and some more diapers,” Applejack explained. “Now come on, let's get goin’!” And she pushed the stroller out the door.