• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 3,655 Views, 61 Comments

A Baby Zebra's Apple Turnover - Foal Star



Apple Bloom accidently turns Zecora into a foal, and decides to be the one to help care for her until a cure can be found.

  • ...
8
 61
 3,655

Chapter 5: The Zebra and the Teacher

(One week later)

Apple Bloom was at the schoolhouse with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo right sitting next to her. Apple Bloom herself was busy burying herself in a book, as Cheerilee was lecturing about cows.

Sweetie Belle was writing notes down with her magic, the little filly turned to her new friend and saw that she was invested in a dark green colored book. She leaned in near the farm filly and whispered to her, “Hey Apple Bloom, what are you reading?”

Apple Bloom blushed, putting the book down and turning to Sweetie Belle she stammered, “Oh n-nothin’ really, just some old book.”

Scootaloo turned as well, now curious and peeked over at the title of the book as she asked, “‘Supernaturals’? What are you reading that for?”

Apple Bloom groaned as she put the book down and explained, “Just lookin’ at stuff about potions and ingredients, that’s all.” Sweetie Belle wanted to ask more about it, but instead all three turned to face Cheerilee was finishing her lecture “..And that’s how cows make milk, any questions?” All the colts and fillies shook their heads, some grumbling no, as Cheerilee announced, “Alright, class is dismissed.”

Everyone began leaving, as Cheerilee came by Apple Bloom and the Crusaders and asked, “Hello you three, everything going alright?”

Apple Bloom nodded, “Yeah, everythin’s fine. We're actually goin’ to stop by the library to see if Twilight has anythin’ about the cure for Zecora.”

Cheerilee smiled as she replied, “Good. Fittingly enough, I’m actually going to stop by Sweet Apple Acres for Zecora’s lessons today. I have to admit, she’s one stubborn little foal.”

Apple Bloom grumbled in frustration, “Yeah, she’s really takin’ after my older sister.”

Cheerilee continued with a smile, “Well, it’s been fun teaching Zecora. She may be stubborn but I admire a foal that doesn’t want to give up on learning. The battle for education starts young.”

“But Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle protested. “Aren’t you’re forgetting about the fact that we’re going to make Zecora an official Cutie Mark Crusader?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo added. “I thought we were going to the treehouse for her ceremony.”

Apple Bloom blushed as she replied, “Oh yeah, sorry. I just want to go see Twilight and ask if anythin’ new came up on a cure for Zecora before we make any plans.”

Sweetie Belle nodded and agreed with a smile, “Okay then, we’ll go by Twilight’s library first.”

Cheerilee gave the Crusaders a smile, “Go on then, I’ll be with Zecora when you get back.”

Apple Bloom squealed and waved a hoof. “Alright, Cheerilee, see ya later!”

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ran off with their new friend, as Cheerilee smiled at the three and turned and set off down the road.


At Sweet Apple Acres, Zecora was napping in the living room, on a mat underneath a bunch of fluffy foal blankets. The baby zebra stirred, as she started slowing waking up. Suckling her pacifer, she yawned as her pacifier fell out of her mouth, and she got up, stretching her chubby legs and wiggling her diapered tush which was now tinted slightly yellow.

Zecora sighed as she looked around, mumbling. “Gwanny, I need a diapee changie.” But there was no reply. The zebra waddled for a bit, looking for Granny Smith. She looked all around until she came to a door near the stairs and gazed up at it in awe as she whispered, “Gwanny and Abbwejack teww me I can’t go in thewe. Bu why?” Zecora looked around and seeing nopony present, she waddled to the door which was ajar. She opened the door, turned down the dark shadow stairway, and gulped, “Tats scawy.”

Reluctantly, the zebra stuck her diapered rump out and slowly slid down the stairs, her diaper squelching with each step. She eventually ended up on the ground of the basement, and looked around the dark room, full of old furniture and dusty boxes. She waddled through and saw a giant box with a cloth diaper printed on the box. Zecora gasped, “I know this box of diapees! Abbwejack towd me about how Abbew Bwoom used to play in them aww ta time.”

Zecora waddled to the box and climbed inside, stumbling over, pouring the cloth diapers out, and sending them all over the floor. Zecora giggled, wading through the sea of diapers and throwing them in the air as she squealed in joy, “Tis is fun!” She then turned to an old, giant rocking cow, and gaped at it and babbled, “This must’ve been Big Mac’s when he was a baby!” She crawled onto the rocking cow, and rocked the toy back and forth. But it was so big that she accidentally tipped it over. She gasped, falling on her padded rump! She felt a rush of pee fill up her diaper, but she still squealed in joy, “That was so much fun!”

Zecora got up and picked herself up. Looking around, she gaped when her eyes fell on a box of old foal toys. She waddled over, and without hesitation started digging through it, throwing out teddies, rattles, and dolls. She gasped, “Tese mus be aww the foaw toys the Appwes had.”

Just then, Zecora heard a voice shout, “Zecora, where did you go?!”

Zecora gasped, looking up at the stairs as she babbled, “Uh oh! I betta go befowe I get in twoubwe.”

The zebra waddled to the stairs and looked up, as Granny came down, turned on a light, and gasped, “Oh dear! Looks like ya caused quite a mess down here, Zecora! Didn’t I tell ya to stay out of this here basement?!”

Zecora nodded and babbled, “I sowie! I got cuwious and just wanted to see what was down hewe. I didn’ mean to make a mess!”

Granny sighed, “It’s alright, dear. I’ll clean this up later, at least you’re alright. Come on,” She then picked Zecora up and checked her diaper, “Looks like you soaked that diaper good. Let’s get you changed before ya get a rash.”


Granny carried Zecora upstairs, then put the baby zebra on the changing mat and started changing her diaper. The little zebra asked in a worried tone, “Um, Gwanny, am I in twobwe?”

“You are, a little,” Granny replied. “You shouldn’t have wandered off like that, you’re lucky ya didn’t hurt yourself. Ya can’t just wander through the house wherever ya please, and ya need to learn that what ya did was wrong.” Then they heard a knock at the door and turned towards it. Granny finished taping Zecora into her new diaper, and as she kicked about in it, Granny Smith opened the door and smiled at Cheerilee standing outside.

“Oh hey, Granny Smith,” Cheerilee greeted. “Just came to see if Zecora wants to continue her lessons.”

Zecora bounced up, shouting. “Yeah! I want to weawn how to wead!”

“Alright,” Granny replied, sighing a bit. “Just be sure to keep an eye on her, Cheerilee. I have to clean up a little mess she made downstairs.”

Cheerilee nodded as she came over to Zecora, who blushed in embarrassment. The teacher eyed the filly and asked, “What did you do?”

Zecora babbled, “I had a wittwe fun in the basement, tat’s aww.”

“Oh you little troublemaker,” Cheerilee playfully remarked and then asked. “So, how is your rhyming going?”

Zecora groaned. “Na so good, I can’ wememba aw ta wowds tat I did befowe.”

“Alright, well let’s try to go over the alphabet again,” Cheerilee spoke up. Zecora waddled over, while Cheerilee sat on the couch and put the baby zebra in her lap. She opened a book with big letters and random words for each letter, in it. Cheerilee turned the pages and whispered to Zecora, “A, A is for…”

Zecora babbled, “Abbwe. A..A..”

Cheerilee turned the page as they continued onward with the lesson. As Zecora stumbled with the letters, she became distracted, poking her diaper and wiggling about. Cheerilee sighed. “Zecora, you have to pay attention.”

Zecora looked up in surprise and gasped upon realizing what she was doing! “Oh, sowie! I twyin to tough!” She insisted.

“It’s alright, just stay focused,” Cheerilee advised. “Now come on, try the next letter.”

Zecora looked back down at the book and she turned to the letter “E” and babbled “E..E as in egg.”

Cheerilee snuggled her as she cooed. “Good job, Zecora, that’s more like it! Now let's do the next letter.”

Cheerilee then turned the page to “F”, as Zecora eyed it and mumbled, “F, wight?”

Cheerilee nodded and congratulated the zebra. “That's right, Zecora. You're getting better.”

Zecora looked up, happily shouting! “Yeah! I tink I gonna get ta alpabet soon!”

“Yes, you're doing very well,” Cheerilee encouraged. “Now can you tell me the alphabet?”

Zecora whimpered and whispered. “Uh, A..B...C...um..” She blushed, scrunching her diaper as she confessed. “I dun weawwy wemeba ta west, I tink thewe’s an E and a F.”

Cheerilee snuggled the little zebra, kissing her on the cheek as she cooed. “It's alright, I think you did very well for today. I’d say you’re farther along than most foals your age.”


Granny Smith then came back up and asked, “Is eveythin’ alright, Cheerilee?”

Cheerilee turned to Granny Smith and smiled. “Oh of course it is. You should be proud, Zecora is learning her ABC’s.”

Zecora nodded and babbled, “Yeah. And I sowie Gwanny fow makin’ a mess.”

Granny Smith just dawwed and picked the foal up, “It’s alright, just don’t go down there again, it’s dangerous. Because of that, you’re gettin’ an early bedtime tonight. I catch ya down there again, you’re goin’ in the time out corner, understand?”

Zecora nodded as Cheerilee got up and smiled as she said, “Well, I’d better get going. I need to plan the lessons for tomorrow.”

Granny waved a hoof, “Come and get somethin’ to eat first, I’m sure you must be starvin’.”

Cheerilee blushed as she whispered, “Oh, I wouldn’t want to impose.”

But Zecora babbled and pleaded. “Pwease come eat with us, Cheewiwee. Gwanny Smith makes ta best abbwe pie eva!”

Cheerilee giggled, she could never resist such a tasty offering. “Oh, alright. I’ll have some,” She walked off with them, and saw the apple pie sitting on the kitchen table. Its aroma wafting into her as she gave a whiff and commented, “Wow, that does smell delicious!”

As Granny Smith was sitting Zecora down in her high chair, the zebra turned and babbled, “I hope so, I hewped Gwanny make it.”

Cheerilee smiled, “Aww, that’s sweet. Guess I’d better try some.”

“I’ll cut ya a slice,” Granny Smith offered. “Hopefully Applejack will be back from Applebuckin’ soon.”

Zecora nodded and replied. “Yeah, hopefuwwy she’ww be back soon.”


At the Golden Oak Library, Twilight was busy looking over some notes in a giant book. When she three loud knocks, she turned to the door and wondered, “Who could that be?” She came up and opened the door, as the energetic Cutie Mark Crusaders burst through the opening, as they squealed in unison, “Hi Twilight!”

Twilight smiled, “Hey you three, what are you up to?”

The crusaders gathered in the living room as Apple Bloom looked up and replied, “I just wanted to know what’s goin’ on with Zecora. She’s my little sister after all, and we were goin’ to make her a Cutie Mark Crusader. Unless, Princess Celestia’s already found a cure?”

Twilight shook her head as she replied, “Look, Apple Bloom, Celestia is having trouble with finding a cure. She said what’s spilled on Zecora can be cured, but she’s still working hard to figure out the process. It’s very complicated.”

Apple Bloom sighed as she explained, “That’s fine, ‘cause I wanted to help make a cure. I've been readin’ some books about potions.”

Sweetie Belle turned to Apple Bloom as she realized. “That’s why you’ve been reading nonstop! I thought you were trying to get your cutie mark in books or something.”

Scootaloo shook her head. “I don’t think I would want a book as a cutie mark.”

Twilight laughed. “Oh you three,” Apple Bloom blushed, as Twilight continued. “Well, I’m sure you three can help by keeping Zecora safe.”

”But is there anythin’ new on Zecora’s condition?” Apple Bloom asked, hopefully. “Anythin’ that I need to know about?”

Twilight shook her head and explained, “No, Princess Celestia gives me her updates now and again. But nothing new has come up yet, I’m sorry.”

“Wait, ya sure there isn’t somethin’ that I can do?!” Apple Bloom pleaded! “I read all of the books you gave me, I think I can help in makin’ a cure! Just tell Celestia to give me what she needs for a cure, I can fix it up! Please, ya must let me!”

Twilight tried to smile as she cleared her throat and said, “Apple Bloom, I really do think you can help. But even Princess Celestia is still trying to figure out what spilt onto Zecora. It could be too dangerous for you to mix up the cure.”

Apple Bloom sighed and looked down in defeat.

Twilight stammered with a sheepish grin as she hastily added. “But uh, that doesn't mean you can't try to make a cure on your own if you want. But if you do try, just be sure to let me see the potion first, so we can be sure that it’s safe. I don’t want to risk you blowing up Sweet Apple Acres, or yourself.”

Apple Bloom perked up a little, but still frowned as she replied. “But...so far I haven't found anythin’ that can help, in any of the books ya gave me.”

Sweetie suggested. “How about we go to Zecora’s hut and find out if she has something there that could help?”

Apple Bloom gasped! “Great idea, Sweetie Belle! Why didn’t I think of that before?!”

“Wait, don’t do that!” Twilight warned!

But Apple Bloom turned and said. “Oh, don’t worry. I’ll tell Applejack where we’re goin’.” She then waved a hoof as the Cutie Mark Crusaders ran off!

Twilight gulped and thought to herself, “Hopefully they won’t get into too much trouble.”