• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 3,664 Views, 61 Comments

A Baby Zebra's Apple Turnover - Foal Star



Apple Bloom accidently turns Zecora into a foal, and decides to be the one to help care for her until a cure can be found.

  • ...
8
 61
 3,664

Chapter 3: Applejack a mom?

While Applejack was on her way to the foal store, Mr. Cake and Mrs.Cake were walking together down the road. As they passed a mother pushing her foal in foal buggy, Mrs.Cake sighed and asked her husband, “So, you’re still unsure about having foals?”

Mr. Cake gulped as he reluctantly confessed. “Well, not really. It’s just that... we're running Sugarcube Corner, not to mention still needing to keep an eye on Pinkie Pie sometimes. It will be difficult trying to manage the store, and give attention to a foal at the same time. Plus, you know how expensive foals can be, we’d need to run Sugarcube Corner far more often than we already do, and that would mean having Pinkie help us out, which is hard to do when she’s always running off somewhere to plan a party.”

Mrs. Cake giggled, “Pinkie’s a lot like a daughter to us already and we seem to manage just fine. But if we do have a foal, I was hoping we could have more than one. I mean, we’re not getting any younger, and it’s not like there’s a spell that can deage us.”

Mr. Cake gulped nervously and answered, “Well if we do decide to have a baby, let’s just stick with one for now if possible. Especially since we don’t know Pinkie would react, or how good of a caretaker she’d be.”

Mrs.Cake nuzzled her husband, making him blush. Then they turned to see Applejack, a pink diaper bag strapped around her shoulder, as she was fussing over a stripped foal in a stroller. Mrs. Cake gasped and went up to the farm pony and asked, “Oh, Applejack. I didn’t know you had a foal.”

Applejack jumped in shock, turning to the couple hovering over the stroller as she blushed and greeted the two. “Oh, hey Mr. Cake and Mrs. Cake, didn't see ya there.”

Mrs. Cake waved a hoof. “Oh, don’t mind us, dearie. We just saw your little one and wanted to say hi. My husband and I were just talking about having foals ourselves.”

Mr. Cake nodded as he explained, “Yeah, I just hope that if we ever do have foals, we can somehow make time for them, and run Sugarcube Corner,” Looking at the foal in the stroller he added. “So, what’s the little cutie’s name? Is she adopted or something?”

Applejack eyes went wide as she gulped and explained. “Oh um, her name’s Zecora but she isn’t my foal. She uh... is a zebra who was regressed into a foal.”

Mrs. Cake blinked in surprise, looking down at the stripped filly holding her ursa minor plushie close to her chest. Then Mrs. Cake smiled, “Well, that is something. As cute as you are, Zecora, I hope you find a cure. I mean, you were that enchantress Pinkie told us, right?”

Zecora nodded replied, “Yeah, I am. Bu I can’t exactwy go back to my hut in ta Evewfwee Fowest, so Twiwight is wowkin on a cuwe.”

Mr. Cake cooed, “Well, aren’t you just a little cutie?” He tickled the little Zebra’s belly making her squeal. “Stop! Ya goin ta make me pee my diapee!” She insisted.

Mr. Cake laughed, but obliged. “Alright, just couldn’t help myself,” He then turned to his wife. “Well, we should be heading back anyways. I'm sure Pinkie Pie is swamped with customers.”

Then, as the couple started to leave, Mrs. Cake turned and commented, “Applejack, don’t take this the wrong way but, you do look like a mom.”

Applejack blushed at the comment, “Oh, well thanks…” She trailed off in uncertainty.

Fortunately, Zecora babbled and broke the silence, “Yeah, Abbwejack wowd make a gweat mommy.” That made everypony laugh.

Then Applejack pushed Zecora’s stroller down the road a bit as she said. “Come on, little filly, let’s get goin.”


At school Apple Bloom, was trying to stay awake as Cheerilee droned on about Equestria’s history. All she could hear though was “Foal.” And then she heard somepony whisper, “I think the blank flank is falling asleep.”

A paper ball sailed through the air and hit Apple Bloom on the side of the head. She barely felt it as another one was pelted at her again as she grumbled, “What?”

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon giggled as Diamond asked, “So, you still haven’t found your cutie mark yet, eh blank flank?”

Apple Bloom mumbled, glaring at the two bullies. ”For your information, I was tryin’ to find it all day yesterday.”

Diamond winked at Silver Spoon as she continued, “So, what were you trying to get your cutie mark in?”

“Takin’ care of a foal.” Apple Bloom bluntly replied.

Both Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara burst into laughter as Silver Spoon asked, “Isn’t that like changing diapers and stuff? Who would want a cutie mark in doing that?”

Tiara scoffed, “A blank flank like Apple Bloom of course. She’d probably want anything for a cutie mark by now, even if it's a diaper.”

Just then Cheerilee turned and asked, “Diamond Tiara, what’s going on back there?!”

Diamond Tiara whined. “Nothing, Miss. Cheerilee, it’s that Apple Bloom here was falling asleep, and I was just trying to wake her up.”

The entire class turned, giggling and smirking at the drowsy Apple Bloom. Cheerilee sighed and shouted. “Apple Bloom!”

Apple Bloom woke up, blinking as she mumbled. “Yes, Zecora?”

The entire class burst into more fits of laughter as Cheerilee sighed. “Alright, class. How about we start lunch, then go out to recess?”

The class all cheered and rushed out the door! But as Apple Bloom got off her seat, Cheerilee instructed, “Apple Bloom, I need you to stay here.”

Diamond smirked, “See ya later, Apple Bloom.” And she and Silver Spoon ran off laughing.

Apple Bloom sighed as she went up to Cheerilee’s desk. Cheerilee looked down at the farm filly and asked bluntly, “I'm guessing you were up late last night?” Apple Bloom rubbed her eyes nodding her head. Cheerilee eyed her student and asked, “So, are you going to tell me why?”

Apple Bloom gazed up at her teacher with a dreary look, “Um...yeah...Can...I tell ya a secret?”

Cheerilee nodded, “Of course, Apple Bloom. You can tell me anything.”

Apple Bloom then replied, “Well, you see, a friend of mine, a zebra named Zecora, got turned into a foal. And my family and I took her in, I was busy carin’ for her last night.”

Cheerilee blinked and replied, “Wait, what?!”

Apple Bloom groaned as she put her hooves to her face, “I know, I should’ve listened to my sister and had her care for Zecora.”

“Wait.. you're serious?” Cheerilee asked.

Apple Bloom nodded and sighed, “Yeah. She woke me up three times last night.”

Cheerilee smiled, and replied, “Alright. How about you go home and get some rest?”

“Wait, I'm not in trouble?!” Apple Bloom asked in surprise.

Cheerilee shook her head, “I’ll let you go, this time. But be sure to sleep tonight and get well rested for tomorrow.”

Apple Bloom chirped. “Thanks, and don’t worry, I’ll be sure to get some sleep.”


Applejack was just coming back from the store with a saddle bag full of toys and foal supplies, with Zecora snuggling her stuffed bear, and also a stuffed bunny. “Tank ya so much fow buyin aww of tis!” She said to Applejack.

Applejack blushed. “No problem, sugarcube. I hope we can put this stuff to good use.”

The two entered through the front door of the house, and right at that moment, Granny Smith popped out of the kitchen. “Oh hey ya two,” She greeted. “The apple pie’s cooled down, and Apple Bloom is back from school.”

Applejack unstrapped Zecora from her stroller as she asked her grandmother. “Why’s Apple Bloom home so early? She do somethin’ wrong or get hurt?”

“I’m stumped somethin’ fierce,” Granny Smith replied. “She just said somthin’ bout the teacher sendin’ her home ‘cause she was tired and that was it. She’s upstairs right now, sleepin’ like a Ponyville Snail.”

Zecora whimpered, “Oh, tat’s my fawt. I kept hew up aww night.”

Applejack ruffled the baby zebra’s mane, “Don’t worry about it, Zecora, you're just a foal. Besides, that’s why you’re gonna be sleepin’ in my room from now on.” She then set up the playpen in the living room and started taking out Zecora’s toys, as she bounced up and down in glee.

Zecora groaned as her tummy grumbled and she babbled, “Abbwejack, I hungwy.”

Applejack just cooed, “Oh, don’t worry. I’ll get ya a nice warm bottle. Now go on and have fun.”

Zecora giggled, waddling over to a book full of foalish nursery rhymes. She tried to sound out the words.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Applejack was busy making a bottle of formula, as Granny Smith came over, “You’re doin’ great, Applejack. Never thought ya had it in ya.”

Applejack eyed her grandmother. “What ya talkin’ about, Granny?” She demanded.

“I’m sayin, you’re good with foals,” Granny Smith explained. “Trust me, most ponies think foals are easy ‘cause they're cute. But I was really stressed out sometimes carin’ for ya and ya siblings.”

“Well, I hope I’m doin’ a good job,” Applejack replied nervously. “But Zecora does seem to be a very calm foal. Hopefully, I won't have much trouble with her, at least durin’ the day.”

Applejack then went back to the living room, where Zecora was busy trying to sound out words, “Cat, mat, bat.”

Applejack giggled, “Ya tryin’ to learn how to rhyme again?”

Zecora looked up, nodding. “Yeah, I can’t wead anymowe, but I weawin to whyme usin pictuas. Is how I weawned as an actuaw foaw. Couwse, whewe I came fwom, we didn’t have tings wike bathtubs and toiwets. We bathed in wivews and just had a wittwe spot fow us to go to the bathwoom, we’d cwean ourwewvs with weaves. One time I accidentawwy wiped mysewf with poison ivy, made my butt aww itchy.”

Applejack giggled and dawwed. “Ah, that's cute, and kind of embarrassin’. Either way, I hope you're havin’ fun. Oh, almost forgot.” She then placed the bottle of formula next to Zecora, who took it and began suckling on it, as Applejack helped her. But then they heard a knock at the door.

Applejack got up and opened it, seeing that it was none other than Cheerilee, who smiled seeing that Applejack had what appeared to be a pink colored diaper bag strapped around her, “Oh, hello Applejack. Is this a bad time?”

Applejack shook her head. “‘Course not, Cheerilee. Sorry ‘bout the bag, I’m a bit busy at the moment. You hear to talk to me ‘bout Apple Bloom?”

Cheerilee nodded. “Yes. You see, Apple Bloom kept falling asleep during class today and I sent her home. I just wanted to come by and see if everything is alright.”

Applejack sighed. “Yeah, sorry about that. Ya see, we um...have came upon a rather strange circumstances.”

“Yes, I heard your sister say something about a zebra turned into a foal, correct?” Cheerilee inquired.

Applejack nodded again and continued. “Yeah, it's true. Apple Bloom insisted on havin’ Zecora stay in her room. I promise this won't happen again though, Zecora will be sleepin’ with me from now on.”

“Thanks, Applejack,” Cheerilee smiled. “But um...could I see little… Zecora was it?”

Applejack gave a sheepish smile and replied. “Sure, come on in. ‘Reckon it’s best ya see the truth with your own eyes.” She invited the mare inside, and led her to the living room, where Zecora was still trying to rhyme. “Cat sat on a mat with a bat.”

Cheerilee dawwed, coming up to the foal who turned and babbled. “Abbwejack, who’s tis?”

“This is Miss. Cheerilee, Apple Bloom’s teacher,” Applejack explained. “In fact, Cheerilee's the teacher for every school aged colt and filly in town. She came here to tell me that Apple Bloom was havin’ trouble stayin’ awake in class today, so she had to send Apple Bloom home early.”

Zecora gasped in fright! “Uh oh! I sowie, Miss. Cheewiwee, I made Abbwe Boom stay up waste wast night, and tat's why she was tiwed! I didn’ mean to get hew in twoubwe.”

But Cheerilee only cooed. “It's alright, Apple Bloom isn't in trouble,” She bent down and examined the book Zecora was reading, then she giggled. “Oh, The Cat under the Mat, this book is great for learning how to rhyme and say basic words. I see you’re already getting a head start on your education, little Zecora.”

Zecora looked up and babbled. “Yeah, but I can't wead, I can onwy wook at ta pictuas. Pwus, I a zebwa, we zebwas weawn how to speak in whyme. I not vewy good at it at the moment though.”

Cheerilee nuzzled the little zebra and cooed again. “Oh, don't worry. You'll get there. The zebra thing actually explains why you look so unlike anypony I’ve seen before. You’re still adorable though.”

Zecora nodded then she beamed as she turned to Cheerilee. “Uh, Miss. Cheewiwee, can I ask something?”

“Oh of course, what is it?” Cheerilee inquired.

Zecora continued as she pleaded. “Weww, Twiwight is wookin fow a cuwe to tuwn me back to a big pony. But she pwobaby dun know what too wook fow when makin a cuwe. Can ya teach me how to wead, so ten I can maybe wook fow a cuwe mysewf?”

Cheerilee sighed as she explained. “I would love too, Zecora, but from what I know about foal development, reading really doesn't start until three, sometimes not even until four. I can teach you the basics, but what you're asking takes years, especially since you don’t seem to be ready for potty training yet.”

Zecora mumbled in defeat, “Otay.”

Cheerilee got up, but before she replied. “But, that doesn't mean I won't try. I can come by once in awhile, and teach you as much as I can,” Then she gave Applejack a sheepish smile as she asked, “Would that be okay with you?”

Applejack nodded and responded, “Yeah, of course it’s fine. Ya can come by anytime.”

Zecora squealed in delight. “Weawwy?! Tanks Cheewiwee!” She waddled to the teacher and hugged her, and Cheerilee hugged back.

Granny Smith then came in and asked. “How about ya have a slice of apple pie before ya go, Cheerilee? It’s fresh and right out of the oven.”

But Cheerilee waved a hoof. “No thank you, I’m fine. I appreciate the offer though.”


Cheerilee left the house, as Applejack turned to Zecora who was squealing in delight. “I gonna wead again! I can’t wait!

Applejack sighed. “Now, Zecora. I know you're excited, but understand that your probably no older than a one year old foal at best, and like Cheerilee said it could take years.”

Zecora shrugged. “Weww, thewe’s no hawm twyin. I wanna hewp Twiwight so she dun have to wowk hewsewf so hawd.”

Applejack chuckled. “Yeah, guess you're right. Now come on, let's get some of Granny Smith’s apple pie.” She took Zecora onto her back, carried her to the kitchen, and sat her in the highchair, patting her diaper and hearing it squelch as Zecora gasped. “Oh, wow! I didn’ even know I’d peed!”

“Well, that’s natural, little foals don’t have control over when they go,” Granny Smith explained. “But you ain’t that wet and your diaper looks like it can hold for a while. There shouldn’t be any harm in lettin’ you have some apple pie real quick.” She tgot out a piece of pie for Applejack, then got another piece and started cutting it up and feeding Zecora bit by bit.

Zecora squealed while munching on the apple pie. “Tis is so good!”

Granny Smith nodded. “Glad ya like it, Zecora. And if ya think my pies are good, wait til’ you’re old enough to try my apple spice muffins, they’re real good!”

Zecora looked around and asked, “Wha bout Abbwe Boom? Wouwdn't she wike some pie too?”

Applejack giggled, “She’s probably still asleep, we’ll save her a piece for when she wakes up.”

Zecora nodded and rubbed her eyes as she yawned. Granny Smith giggled. “Looks like our little zebra here had a long day.”

Applejack smiled and whispered. “Yeah, I'll get her diaper changed, then have her get some sleep. I’ve still got my own chores to get done, and I ain’t gonna let a foal change that.”

Granny Smith gave a nod, as she wiped Zecora’s face. “Alright, I guess if ya want, ya can help Big Mac with the apple buckin’. I can take care of the young one this time, she won’t be able to sneak out to the farm.”

Applejack looked at Zecora with a faint grin. “Yeah, I think she learned her lesson ‘bout goin’ out by herself. But I'll put the foal locks on the front and back doors just to be safe, and when she gets up, make sure to have her stay in the playpen.”

“Ya didn’t even have to remind me, I know how to do that,” Granny Smith grumbled. “Zecora only slipped away from me ‘cause I didn’t have a good eye on her and my hearin’ ain’t what it used to be.”

Applejack didn’t reply, she picked up Zecora and took her to her room upstairs, where the crib was. Applejack chuckled lightly, as she put the baby zebra on the ground, then took out a changing mat and placed the baby zebra on it.

Zecora, kind of used to lifting her legs, let Applejack easily wipe her rump and apply the cream and powder, as well as a fresh new diaper.

Then Applejack took the padded zebra, placed her in her cute, apple decorated nightie, and placed her into the crib as she instructed. “Now get some sleep. If ya need anythin’, Granny is downstairs. I’ll even leave the door open a bit, but no wanderin’ outside, ya hear?”

Zecora nodded as she asked. “Abbwejack...I want ta ask. If I ..uh stay wike tis, what's goin’ ta happen to me?”

Applejack gulped, staring at the foal for a bit before she replied. “Well, if it comes to that, and I hope it doesn't...I guess we could adopt ya into the family and make ya an official Apple.”

Zecora sniffled, hugging her plushie. “Tanks Abbwejack.”

Applejack’s heart fluttered as she bent down and kissed the baby zebra, “Sweet dreams, Zecora.” She then left the room while wondering to herself. “Am I growing attached to her? Is Mrs. Cake right? Am I starting to become a mom? I didn’t raise Apple Bloom all on my own, but I’ve been the one who’s spent the most time caring for Zecora since she regressed.”