• Published 28th Feb 2018
  • 10,548 Views, 615 Comments

Full Circle - Sotharan

  • ...
9
 615
 10,548

PreviousChapters Next
Part I: Moon of Remorse || Chapter 17: The Fourth Week

That Saturday morning, Sunset slowly returned to consciousness. She felt warm and safe, and, for the first time in three weeks, she felt at peace. She was wrapped in soft sheets and blankets, with a wonderful pillow under her head. Just at the edge of her hearing, she heard the gentle sounds of deep, calm breathing on either side – the only sounds that broke the deep, sleepy silence that surrounded her. She realized someone was pressed up against her back and arms were wrapped around her waist, as she laid in the bed on her side, and someone else was holding her hand. These things were cause for a smile. She opened her eyes.

The first hint of dawn was coloring the blinds and curtains a warm orange. She allowed her eyes to focus more closely, and the quietly sleeping face of her aunt filled her vision. She too had a peaceful, happy expression on her face, and Sunset realized it was Luna who was holding her hand. That meant that it was her mother who was embracing her from behind. She felt a surge of emotion – a joy so intense she gasped aloud. She squeezed her free hand tightly as she let the surge pass, leaving behind only a tranquil happiness that she allowed herself to actually enjoy. While the clock said it was just after 7 am, she felt a sense of timelessness. There was no rush – it was Saturday morning. Nothing to do. Sunset dozed restfully in the company of her family.


It was Tuesday, and Octavia Melody waited patiently in the outer office of the CHS main administrative suite. She was a model student – number one in the senior class, academically, musically, and behaviorally. It was the general aura of excellence that she exuded, along with above-average political sense, that had led her to what she felt was the pinnacle of high school achievement: President of the Student Council. As such, she represented the student body to the administration, and presided over meetings of the Council. She had been in student government since 6th grade, and she had never seen, heard of, or participated in a meeting like the one they had had yesterday afternoon. Why, she had nearly lost order, and had been compelled to issue rules violations to two of her classmates – something she did not like to do at all.

The matter taken up by the Council – a matter that had not been on the agenda – had resulted in her presence in the administrative suite today. She continued to wait, glancing every so often at the door to Principal Celestia’s office. She wondered if Celestia was keeping her waiting on purpose. She knew the principal was actually a very kind, generous woman who genuinely cared about her students, but she was also known to be very confident in her position and authority, and was not above using the trappings of her office to remind others of their place. She has to know why I’m here, Octavia thought. The faculty advisor must have given her a heads up.

She was about to get up to get a drink of water when the intercom tone sounded, and she heard the principal’s voice come across the scratchy, ancient speaker. “You may send Ms. Melody in now.”

Ms. Clip looked at Octavia a bit severely, then gestured to the door. “Go right in, Octavia.”

Octavia took a deep breath, squared her shoulders, and decided on a discreet knock instead. “The door’s open!” came the principal’s muffled voice.

Ignoring the irony of Celestia's statement, Octavia obediently opened the door and walked in. Afternoon sunlight streamed through the large windows to the left of Celestia’s desk. “Ah, Octavia. Please, come on in and have a seat.” The principal’s voice was friendly, and she wore a pleasant smile, but Octavia knew her well enough to sense some tension, as well. She walked in and carefully sat down in one of the large leather chairs in front of the desk. Immediately, she raised her hand as the sun nearly dazzled her. The principal rose instantly and headed to the windows to close the blinds. Octavia resisted the urge to stand as well. Being obsequious was not a successful strategy with Celestia.

The bright light faded to a tolerable glow. “Is that better?” Celestia asked as she re-seated herself.

“Yes, thank you, ma’am.” Octavia said with honest gratitude.

“Hmm. Having an office with windows facing west can be a bit of an issue in the afternoon, though I do love the sun.” Celestia smiled broadly. “Now, what can I do for you?” she asked.

Octavia had the grace to look a bit chagrined. “Ma’am…I think we both know why I’m here today.”

“No beating around the bush, eh? Well, you know that’s the way I prefer it. So, I am guessing yesterday’s Student Council meeting was…spirited?”

Octavia laughed in spite of herself. “You could say that. But surely the faculty advisor has…briefed you.”

Celestia sighed. “Yes, he has. But naturally, Octavia, I’d prefer to hear it directly from you as well.”

Octavia looked extremely uncomfortable. “Thank you. Ms. Celestia, I find myself in a difficult position. As Student Council President, I’m tasked with representing the opinions and concerns of the Student Body to you. The matter I’ve been asked to bring before you today, however, is probably…frankly out of bounds.”

“I see,” said Celestia, all business now.

“I think it would be improper of me, on the other hand, to ignore what was resolved in the Council yesterday. I could have vetoed it, but I would have been the sole dissenting vote as well. So, I think I must bring it before you. Please understand, before I do so, that it’s not my intention to be impertinent or presumptuous. If nothing else, I look forward to your advice and mentorship on the matter.”

Celestia relented slightly in her highly professional demeanor. “I understand, Octavia. I won’t get angry, I promise. Well, not at you, anyway. I appreciate how hard this is and how uncomfortable you are, and I know you respect me and my position.”

Octavia actually sighed with relief. “Thank you again. So. I guess I’d better get started. Turns out…that the Student Body has some questions and concerns regarding a certain junior who caused some property damage a couple of weeks ago…”

“Mmmm.”

“And they have some specific questions for you. Questions that I won’t blame you for if you don’t answer them, but I have to ask them all the same.”

“Go ahead, Octavia.”

“First, the student representatives resolved, unanimously, that they would like to know exactly, in detail, what disciplinary measures are being taken with regard to Sunset Shimmer. They are particularly interested in why she hasn’t been expelled, and why she isn’t in jail.” Octavia winced slightly.

Celestia become cold, though Octavia knew the coldness wasn’t directed toward her. “I see. So the student body would like me to give an accounting of a disciplinary matter? A matter affecting one of their peers?” The temperature in the room might have actually fallen a few degrees. For real.

To her credit, Octavia pressed on. “Again, with my apologies, they would. Though, perhaps it might be more diplomatic to say that they are understandably curious about expulsion policies and how they are applied. Particularly given the degree of property damage involved and the fact that some of the student body may have been…under some kind of compulsion for a short time.”

Celestia frowned, then took a deep breath. “I’m sorry, Octavia. You know I’m not upset with you. And you are right – the curiosity is understandable. Though I cannot indulge it fully. Sunset, as poorly as she has behaved, is entitled to some measure of privacy.”

“I actually agree with you. And I’m not sucking up!” It was a mark of how uncomfortable Octavia truly was that she lapsed into a colloquialism that could potentially be interpreted as off-color.

“Language, Octavia. But don’t beat yourself up. I can see how hard this is for you.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s ok. Really. Look, here is what I'll do. I am going to give a response, but I want it understood that this is an exception to policy. I’m making it because of the fact that nearly the entire student body is aware of the events of the Fall Formal, and because so many of them were directly affected by it. But, this is the only response I will give. Further inquiries will not be entertained. Is that clear?”

“Yes, ma’am, of course!”

“Very well. Suffice it to say that Sunset has been, and is being, disciplined quite severely. It cannot be lost on you, or the other students, that Sunset is not exactly from ‘around here’. In fact, she is from the same place as Twilight. Twilight is a government official from Sunset’s home – one with a very high degree of authority. And all of what Sunset did was intended as an attack on Twilight. So, some of the disciplinary measures were imposed by Twilight, and I am not at liberty to discuss them more fully, except to say that in my opinion they are adequate.”

“Wow,” said Octavia, with wide eyes.

“There are other disciplinary measures that I have taken personally. Yes, me. Not Vice Principal Luna. You may reassure the Student Council that I am handling the matter of Ms. Shimmer directly. I will not detail the matter further, except to say that an extensive suspension is involved and that the other measures will become clear to all in time.”

“Ok,” said Octavia breathlessly.

“Finally, the matter of any criminal charges against Sunset. Ignoring, for the moment, that as a minor any charges and court proceedings against her would not be in the public domain, you may be assured that Twilight dealt with that matter from her position in her government as well. As far as any charges from our world – you may ask the Student Body to consider this. Do they truly wish Sunset dead?”

Octavia gasped. “Dead?

“Yes. Dead.”

Octavia just stared, terrified.

“Octavia, what do you think would happen to Sunset Shimmer if she were brought to the attention of the authorities?”

Octavia was very intelligent. It did not take her long to do the math. “Oh my,” she said. “That…would be bad.” Sunset had been as mean to Octavia as to anyone else, but she didn’t want Sunset dead. She didn’t want anyone dead.

“Yes. So, unless any student would truly like to see Sunset end up on a dissection table, they might wish to reconsider what they are thinking about. Wanting someone dead is bad enough, but to be responsible for it…that is another matter entirely. That kind of thing tends to stick with someone. Permanently.”

Octavia just continued to stare.

“Besides – if I find out that someone has called the authorities on her – that person and I will have a problem. Is that clear? I have handled the matter. I do not care to be questioned on it further.”

In spite of Celestia’s earlier reassurances, Octavia found herself close to tears. Celestia realized this immediately and came around the desk. She wasn’t supposed to hug students, but she knew she could trust Octavia if she made an exception. She pulled Octavia into an embrace. “I’m sorry, Octavia. I’ve frightened you,” she said in a very warm, gentle voice.

Octavia took a deep breath. “No. No, it’s ok. I mean, that was some stuff even I hadn’t thought of.”

“You are young. I’m kind of glad you could not have conceived of all that. Now, please remember that I’m not upset with you at all. In fact, I’m very proud. I think you’ve handled your duties as Student Council President with great maturity and grace. Ok?” Celestia smiled at her, hugged her again, and rose.

“Yes. Thank you. Thank you so much.”

“There is one last thing that I invite the student body to consider. And it is a hard thing – a challenge, if you will. Everyone saw Twilight reach down into that crater and pull Sunset out of it with her own hands. What do the students think that meant? Do they still honor Twilight and what she accomplished here in so short a time? They need to think about that. Because it was a beautiful thing, and an example that I encourage all to follow.”

Octavia thought about that, but she didn’t have a response ready.

“Do you think you can remember everything I’ve said?” asked Celestia kindly.

“Oooohhhh yes. I think so. No problem there!”

“Good. You have my permission to attempt to convey some of my…imperiousness, if you will, when you present my response. Just don’t overdo it,” she said with a wink. “As you may have just noticed, often, less is more.”

Octavia returned her principal’s smile in a bemused fashion.


The next Monday Sunset awoke to the sound of her alarm going off. Oh boy, she thought to herself. Time to start another week. Carefully she rolled over in bed to turn off the alarm. Then, stretching and yawning, she swung her legs out of bed and nearly slammed her left knee into her bedside table. She froze. What had just happened? It was as though she had not known her own strength, and had overcompensated, putting more effort into her movement than she had needed to. She thought quickly, her heartbeat loud in her ears. Can it be? Is it finally over? She had been so disappointed on Saturday when she hadn’t gotten any stronger as she had the previous three Saturdays.

Hardly daring to hope, Sunset slowly rose to her feet. She felt completely normal. She swung her arms and flexed them, testing them – no weakness, no stiffness. Then, she took a few steps. No pain. Not even her knee hurt. Happiness swelled into her chest so quickly she laughed out loud. Not even thinking, she dashed nimbly into the hallway, thundered down the stairs, and burst into the kitchen, where Celestia and Luna were already eating breakfast in their bathrobes.

“IT’S OVER!” she shouted, actually jumping up and down. “I’m better – all better! I feel great! Oh, can you believe it?”

Luna smiled joyfully at her and got up, coming around the table to give her a hug. Celestia let out a sigh of honest relief, allowing her head, shoulders, and limbs to all loll back against her chair. “Oh thank God. Thank God it’s over. What a relief!”

Sunset and Luna were actually dancing together, whirling each other around the kitchen and laughing. Celestia watched them fondly for a moment, then got up to join them, pulling them both into an embrace.

“Celestia, can I run to school today? I want to run!” Sunset asked, almost maniacal with joy.

Celestia decided a bit of reason was needed at this point. “Darling, I don’t mean to be a wet blanket, but I think you should start slow. I hope you really do have your strength back, but you might find you’re a bit deconditioned. You haven’t exerted yourself fully for a month.”

“I know! I know! It’s just so nice to feel normal again! OH MY GOSH I HAVE TO TELL THE GIRLS.” She dashed out of the kitchen again to get her phone. Luna started laughing.

“Oh, no!” she joked to Celestia. “Now we have to deal with ‘Hyper Sunset’!”

Celestia allowed herself a smile and a chuckle, but no more. “Sadly, I do not think we will have to for very long. I am afraid that once she gets to school, she will realize while her physical recovery may be complete, her mental and emotional recovery still has just as far to go as it did yesterday. And I doubt her classmates will be any more forgiving today simply because she is healthy again.”

Luna’s face fell. “You’re right, of course.”

“Don’t worry. This is still a wonderful day, and I am very, very happy for her. We will celebrate it tonight, as I think she will need it when she gets home. She’ll probably be a bit depressed again.”


Celestia’s predictions were only too true. She arrived home before Luna, who was making sure the school was locked up for the night. She came in the front door to find Sunset curled up on the couch, looking morose.

“Hello, my little Sunset!” she tried to say pleasantly.

“Hi,” Sunset said in a small voice, not meeting her eyes.

Celestia absorbed this, and hung up her jacket in the coat closet. She came and sat down next to Sunset, putting her purse on the coffee table. She put out her arm and gently pulled her adopted daughter against her. “Rough day?”

Sunset looked up at her. Her eyes said all that needed to be said.

“I see. I’m sorry, sweetheart.”

Sunset let her head fall against Celestia’s shoulder.

“It will get better.”

Sunset said nothing.

“It will. But it’s going to take time. It may take a long time.”

Sunset just sighed.

“Did anyone try to hurt you today? Physically, I mean?”

Sunset shook her head.

“Good. I won’t tolerate that, as we have discussed.” There were a few moments of silence. Celestia made her move. “Were your friends happy to see that you were feeling better physically?”

Sunset seemed to think for a second, then she nodded.

“What did they say?”

“Well, Rainbow was the most excited, I guess. She wanted to race me right away.”

“And did you two race?”

Celestia’s plan was working. Sunset sat up and smiled a bit. “Well, yes, we did, and I kept up pretty well for about 100 yards, but then she left me in the dust. I think you were right – I am a bit out of shape.”

“Well, that’s something that can be fixed. What did the others say?”

Sunset laughed a little. “AJ said, ‘Good. Now you can come and help out on the farm.’ She was mostly kidding. I think. And Rarity said I had to model more dresses for her. Fluttershy just said, ‘Oh, Sunset, I’m so happy for you’, in that soft voice of hers, you know. And Pinkie said she was going to throw me a ‘Congratulations, You’re Not An Invalid Anymore!’ Party.”

“She did? You don’t say?” asked Celestia, with a twinkle in her eye.

Sunset was suddenly on her guard. “What? Is something going on?”

Celestia gave Sunset a broad smile and laughed. “That party is going to happen. Tonight! In fact, your friends are probably already on their way.”

The last of Sunset’s melancholy evaporated as her eyes lit up. “Really? Tonight?”

“Yes, sweetheart. Today is a day to celebrate. I know there is still work to do in your heart, and that there will still be challenges at school, but I cannot tell you how happy I am that you are feeling all better, and I know Luna and the girls feel the same way.”

“Yay!” said Sunset, with honest happiness.

Celestia just smiled.

Suddenly Sunset’s eyes went wide. “30 days. It was 30 days, wasn’t it?” she asked Celestia, looking up at her.

“What do you mean?”

“From the night of the Fall Formal, until last night. It was 30 days! A moon! Of course!”

“I have to admit I don’t fully understand…”

“The effects of the Rainbow Wave lasted for one full moon. A single lunar cycle. That’s why I didn’t get all the way better over the weekend! The last two days just had to pass! Oh, I feel so much better! That makes sense.” Sunset was nodding to herself.

Celestia was still confused. “I’m glad you seem to be making sense of it, but can you explain what you mean?”

“Yes! Some magic works that way – its effects are designed to last one or more lunar cycles. The Rainbow Wave must be designed that way. I actually know some other spells like that. Huh, interesting.”

Author's Note:

I had a section here where Fluttershy is trying to help Sunset update her music library and innocently plays Coldplay’s Viva la Vida for her. Naturally, Sunset identifies a little too much with the lyrics and gets upset, causing Fluttershy to get all angry at herself and Rarity to go full mother-hen. But I guess it’s a no-no to incorporate copyrighted material…

The scene between Octavia and Celestia was a lot of fun to write. I like the idea that maybe Celestia will manifest magic herself someday, and it begins to show here in the temperature of her office falling as she gets coldly angry.

Celestia is admittedly being a bit heavy-handed toward the other students in her discussion with Octavia. She’s a mom. So sue her. Try as she might, she can’t be completely objective. Her challenge, though, I think is a healthy one.

Two words. “Hyper Sunset”. You think on those. :D

PreviousChapters Next