• Published 28th Feb 2018
  • 10,212 Views, 615 Comments

Full Circle - Sotharan

  • ...
9
 615
 10,212

PreviousChapters Next
Part IV: I'll Stand By You || Chapter 38: The Heart of the High Princess

Twilight entered Celestia’s private quarters quietly. It was late evening, and she knew Celestia would be winding her evening down. She had considered waiting until morning, but her heart was too heavy. She needed Celestia’s reassurance, and she trusted their relationship – she knew Celestia would prefer Twilight to unburden herself than to spend a restless night.

Twilight knocked a hoof gently against the door to Celestia’s room. “Come, in Twilight,” came the sovereign princess’s kind voice. Twilight took a deep breath and cantered in. Celestia was standing at the entrance to her open balcony, looking deep into the night.

“Hello,” Twilight said quietly, stopping next to her.

Celestia looked down at her. Her heart sank – she could tell Twilight did not bring good news. “Something troubles you, my dear. What is the matter?” she asked encouragingly.

“Well, I went to visit Sunset this morning. She had written a letter that I thought deserved an in-person response. She was feeling…well, let’s just say she’d put me on too high a pedestal. To be honest, Celestia, I think of her as more of a friend than a student.”

“I understand, and I'm glad. Were you able to help her?”

“Yes. I told her about how I had started out as being pretty clueless about friendship myself.” Twilight chuckled to herself. “I told her about how you had to order me to go make friends.”

Celestia allowed herself a small chuckle as well.

“I also told her about how poorly I had treated the friends I left behind in Canterlot, especially Moondancer. Basically, I helped Sunset to see that I had some regrets too. She was feeling a bit lonely in that.”

Celestia laughed mirthlessly. “Oh, I’ve a few regrets I can share with her too. And I will, when the time is right. But all this sounds like a normal, healthy, growing friendship. Surely this is not what is troubling you?”

“No. Just as Sunset and I finished our discussion, Adagio Dazzle came in. She’s doing so well, Celestia! We chatted for a while when she made a comment that…” Twilight’s mouth moved soundlessly. She was having trouble describing how horrified she had been. Celestia watched her, patiently waiting for her to finish her sentence. “…that filled me with horror and sadness,” Twilight concluded. Now Celestia was looking at her with concern.

“It’s not what you’re probably thinking. She’s not backsliding, or anything like that. Her comment was totally innocent. Just information. But the implications, which Sunset and I carefully confirmed over the next few minutes, were just…disastrous.”

“What on Equus did she say?”

“She said she and her sisters had only been in the mirror world for a few years. Seven, to be exact,” Twilight said, looking at Celestia meaningfully.

“But that would mean…” Then Celestia’s eyes went wide. “OH NO. No, Twilight, tell me it isn’t so!”

“I wish I could, but it’s the truth. Somehow, the Sirens got thrown forward in time. And they don’t know it.” Twilight’s eyes filled with tears of compassion.

Celestia sat down, staring out her window with wide-eyed horror and shaking her head. Twilight gave her time to digest the news.

At length Celestia spoke again, her eyes searching the night as though for answers as she shook her head. “I cannot believe this is what Star Swirl intended.”

“No, I don’t think so either, though you, of course, actually knew him and I did not.”

“Yes, and he was not cruel. Decisive, firm, stern – yes, but not cruel.”

“Do we even know that he intended the Sirens’ exile to be permanent?”

“No. In fact we know very little of his true intentions or plans with regard to that entire situation. You see, during that time Luna and I were getting ready to fight Discord. We were learning how to use the Elements. The Sirens were a problem, but Star Swirl decided to deal with them himself to leave Luna and me free to try to overcome Discord. Discord was the priority, you see. Arguing ponies didn’t matter that much when you couldn’t even plant crops without them turning into…well…whatever suited Discord’s whims.”

Twilight nodded, listening carefully.

“Not long after Star Swirl banished the Sirens, Luna and I were able to overcome Discord. We thought we would have peace, but the seaponies attacked us almost immediately. Though we were able to overcome them, Star Swirl fell in that battle. He was able to turn the tide, though, and many lives were saved, on both sides, frankly.”

“On both sides?”

“Yes. His final spell inflicted heavy losses on the seaponies. They retreated, but they lost fewer than they would have if they had fought on.”

“But he died?”

“Yes, one of the final shots of the battle. To this day, I do not know if he got careless or if it was a lucky shot. But an arrow struck him in the heart, and he died before I could reach him.”

“I’m sorry. I know you cared about him a lot.”

“He was my best friend at that time, other than Luna. His death was a terrible loss for all Equestria.”

Twilight didn’t know what to say.

“All of those events happened in just a few days. So there was no time to discuss the spell that sent the Sirens to the mirror world, and no time to discuss his ultimate intention for them. On top of that, it was not long after that that Luna…gave herself over to the Night Mare.”

Twilight boggled. “ALL of that happened in such a short time?”

“Yes.”

“You must have felt so alone! You lost Star Swirl, and then Luna almost right away?”

“Yes. And I confess, the loss of them both…I was overcome with grief. But I had a new realm to rule and order. The chaos that Discord had wrought took years to undo. Decades. I had no time for anything but setting right what he had done. So many ponies were in great need, and I had no one to help me. I thought about the Sirens from time to time, but even if I had wanted to bring them back from exile, I would have had to pass though the mirror to search for them. I couldn’t leave Equestria back then, Twilight. Not even for a few days. There was just too much instability, and there was no one to raise the sun or the moon. So, I trusted Star Swirl – that his spell had taken care of the matter. At any rate, I knew the Sirens were in a world with food, air, water, and other beings. They would not be alone, and they would survive.”

Twilight nodded, still listening.

“When you came back from the mirror world the second time and told me they still lived, I confess I was surprised. I concluded they must be immortal, or at least very long lived. But now… not much is known about the Sirens, Twilight. They are probably the best source of information about themselves.”

“Well, they aren’t Sirens anymore. Adagio says that the gems were what made them Sirens. Without them, in the mirror world they are normal humans. Here, she says they would be seaponies.”

“I see.”

“Adagio says they were essentially weapons. Their king used powerful magic to create the gems and asked for volunteers to wield them. The three of them stepped forward – they were all from noble seapony families that had fallen on hard times. Their families looked at the gems as a chance to restore their families’ fortunes.”

Celestia just shook her head in amazement.

“Adagio actually doesn’t think they’d be welcome to return home in any event. She implied that failure would have been a capital offense.”

Celestia sighed heavily. “The king of the seaponies at that time was a wicked, paranoid being. After we won the battle against them – the one in which Star Swirl died – we heard little of them. All I know is that shortly thereafter, there was a revolt and the king was overthrown. A generation later, I sent an embassy to them, to try to find a peace between us. But the ponies I sent found nothing but ruins – abandoned houses and courts. No one knows where they went.”

Twilight was quiet. “So, even if they had wanted to go back…” she mused after a moment.

“Yes, it is likely they would have found only an empty land – or sea, I should say.”

Twilight turned to Celestia with a determined expression. “Celestia, Adagio and her sisters are very sorry for what they did. But they have made it clear that they did not kill anypony – here or in the mirror world. Nor did their actions lead to anyone killing anyone else, as far as they know. Do you think that’s true?”

“I think so. The effect of the Sirens was to foster anger and mistrust. To stir up old enmities. But Star Swirl was able to banish them before they got out of hoof. And it’s my understanding that in the mirror world, they were considerably weakened.”

“Yes. Plus, when one is under the effects of the Rainbow Wave, one cannot lie. That’s what Sunset says, anyway.”

“Luna has confirmed that to me,” Celestia agreed.

Twilight nodded. “So, I think we have to conclude that their crimes, while significant, probably did not merit permanent exile or being thrown forward in time by over a thousand years!”

Celestia’s head fell. “No, Twilight. I understand what you are saying, and I agree. Once they know what has happened, their punishment will be excessive. It will not fit the crime.”

“Except trying to take over Canterlot High. Adagio has been very honest with me about that. They certainly were trying to take control of the entire mirror world, and then they would have tried to come here to do the same thing.”

“But you have forgiven them for that, no?”

“Yes, I have. Again, I wonder if I had the authority…”

“When it comes to the mirror world, Twilight, I trust you far above myself.”

“Well, then that leaves us in an extremely difficult situation. I want to offer the Sirens the chance to return to our world. Actually, we’ve already noted that they aren’t Sirens anymore. Adagio has asked that they simply be called seaponies. And they would seriously consider coming back. I’ve asked. But if we allow them to return, we must tell them about the time displacement. I don’t know how they’ll handle that. I think I’d go crazy.”

“Actually I think we will have to tell them in any event. It’s part of treating them with the respect we would use with anypony,” Celestia said.

“Then how are we going to do this? They’re going to be devastated!” Twilight lamented.

Celestia took a deep breath. “I will come.”

You, personally?” Twilight exclaimed with wide eyes.

“Yes. I will come to the mirror world, and I will tell them personally. This will help them to understand how seriously I take the matter, and how earnest we are about taking care of them. Also…it is high time I came to Sunset.”

Twilight looked uncomfortable. “Celestia, Sunset is still…anxious about seeing you again. She has succeeded in forgiving herself, for the most part, except where you are concerned.”

“I know. But Twilight, you must understand. I am now certain that I should have gone to her as soon as I learned that you had reopened the portal.”

“Celestia, shouldn’t she come to you? I know you’ll forgive her, but it was she who left – she who betrayed you. I’m not trying to be hard on her, it just seems more appropriate.”

“Twilight, Sunset is your friend now. I can tell how much you care about her. If she were to falter, and you felt there was any hope for her, would anything hold you back from seeking her? From trying to help her?”

Twilight paused as she grasped what Celestia was saying. “No. No, nothing could hold me back. I see. I understand.”

Celestia continued. “When Sunset first passed through the mirror, I desperately wanted to follow her and bring her back. At that time, though, Luna had not yet returned, you had not yet ascended, and Cadence was not yet ready to rule. I could not follow her. The first time the portal opened again, when you were visiting for the Princess Summit, I had actually planned to pursue her. That was what I would have announced the first morning of the Summit, and I would have left the Summit in Luna’s hooves. But Sunset’s theft of your crown pre-empted me. I had to let you go in my place, and I’m glad I did – I think you handled that matter better than I would have.”

“I don’t know…”

“No, I am quite sure of it, Twilight. Remember, I am no longer bound to the Elements. As painful as it has been for her, being struck by the Rainbow Wave was exactly what Sunset needed, and that is something I could not have done for her.”

“You’re right. Even she would say that you’re right, actually.”

“But as soon as you discovered you could reopen the portal with the journal, I should have gone for her. I…wanted to respect her wishes – to let her come to me when she was ready. And while I still do, now I think it is more important to demonstrate how much I love her by pursuing her.” Celestia paused and sighed. “You see, Twilight, the mirror world’s Celestia has set an example for me by doing something I wish I had done long ago. She adopted Sunset.”

“You…wanted to adopt her? But what about her parents?”

“Sunset has no parents, Twilight. She is an orphan.”

Twilight’s eyes widened and she fell back on her haunches. “Oh my goodness! How could I not have known that? I need to ask her more about her past – how can I be a good friend to her if I don’t even know something as basic as that?!”

“Well, she is usually quite private about it. When she was going through her arrogant stage, her lack of known parents concerned her greatly. She wanted to be of high birth, and had no way to establish her lineage. I don’t think she was trying to hide it from you, Twilight, but she has probably become accustomed to not mentioning it.”

“Still – I should have asked! Why hasn’t this been on my mind?”

“Twilight, do not be hard on yourself. You have had many matters to attend to in the past three months. It has been a busy time.”

“I suppose. So, she came to you as a…foundling, I guess?”

“Yes. She was found alone on the slopes of a nearby mountain as hardly more than a foal. She was brought to me. I was unable to determine who her parents were, and she could not talk yet, except that she was able to say her own name. But I perceived great potential in her, so I decided she should be raised in the Court as my ward. As she grew, she and I became closer. I cared for her deeply, and my love for her was truly like that of a parent. I actively considered adopting her formally, but I did not." Celestia's head fell. "I was concerned about favoritism and issues of succession. And, I must admit to you and to myself that I was afraid of getting too close to anypony, because of what had happened with Luna.” Celestia sighed heavily, then frowned. “That was foolish of me, Twilight. I feel now that if I had allowed myself to express my love to her as a mother would, and faced my own fears of getting hurt, it might have helped her to stay on the path of good.”

“You can’t know that for sure.”

“True, but I suspect it. Sunset has always felt lonely, but has only been able to admit that to herself since she was hit by the Wave.”

“Yes, she has told me about that.”

“In any event, I will go to her. I will forgive her, and embrace her, and comfort her, and tell her how proud I am of how she has changed – if she will forgive me. And I will adopt her. She has the mirror world’s Celestia when she is there – but she will have me when she is here. Also, I would like to meet the other Celestia, and thank her.”

Twilight started to smile. “Now that I think about it, Celestia, I think you’re right. Sunset will be surprised at first, and a little frightened, but she does need you. I’ve been worried about how you two haven’t formally made up yet, to be honest. And I think adopting her will mean a great deal to her. I know she is very grateful to the Celestia and Luna of the mirror world.”

“Good. But Twilight, there is something else I must tell you. It comes up because of the adoption matter. It is actually even more appropriate that I adopt Sunset that you know.”

“Uh…ok…”

“Please sit down. This will take a while. And I must be honest with you, Twilight. What I am about to tell you may change your perception of me, of your own life, and of those around you. But I cannot justify keeping it to myself any longer.”

Twilight’s eyes widened again, but she sat down as Celestia asked.

“Twilight, by now you know that I am far from perfect.”

Twilight gave Celestia a lopsided smile. “Perhaps. But I still think you’re pretty amazing.”

“Thank you – I appreciate that. Nevertheless, what I am about to tell you may…well it may not be easy to hear.”

“Ok.”

“You see, Star Swirl and I…were more than just friends.”

Twilight boggled again.

“Yes, it’s true. I’d actually been romantically interested in him for a long time, but it took him a while to ‘come around’. He was always so busy on some new spell or project. He was a bit like you used to be, Twilight – didn’t always have time for relationships, until I finally was able to convince him that they had great value. That relationships, in fact, are what life is really all about in the end.”

Twilight continued to stare in amazement and acute interest.

“Well, we started to be coltfriend and fillyfriend in the last year before he died. We had too short a time together, Twilight.” Celestia sighed unhappily. “Still, that year was wonderful. But we were quite chaste you know. Things weren’t quite as codified as they are now, but even then it was frowned upon to be…intimate...if one was not married. Well, after Discord was defeated, the night before the battle with the seaponies…we…faltered.”

“You don’t mean…”

“Yes, Twilight. It was just the one night, and we certainly planned to make it right by getting married right away, but…,” here Celestia’s tears began, “as you now know, Star Swirl died that very next day!”

Twilight started to cry too. “Oh, Celestia! That’s so awful!” She wrapped her forelegs around the larger alicorn and held her.

“Yes…it still hurts after all these years,” Celestia cried. “I miss him so much!”

Twilight held Celestia for a few minutes, as she brought herself back under control.

“Thank you, Twilight. It’s so nice to be able to talk about it. Besides you, only Cadence and Luna know.”

“You’re welcome. I’m glad to be here for you. And I don’t hold what you and Star Swirl did against you – maybe you made a mistake, but an honest one, I think. It’s clear to me how much you loved him.”

“Thank you. That’s not the end of the story, though. You see, there was a foal. Apparently I was quite fertile that night.”

“A FOAL!” Twilight cried, amazed beyond all amazement.

“Yes, a foal. And this is where I made a true error, Twilight. I thought I had to hide the pregnancy and the foal. You see, Equestria was in complete disarray, as I have already mentioned. I thought I needed to appear perfect to retain the confidence of the three tribes. So, instead of owning up to my lack of judgment and setting an example for taking responsibility, I decided to use magic to hide that I was pregnant, and I gave up the foal, a colt, for adoption.”

“Oh my goodness!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Yes. Now I made sure that the colt, a unicorn, was adopted by a wonderful pair of unicorns who had not been able to have a foal of their own. And, of course, I kept track of him and did what I could to make his life as happy as I could. But I never told him who his true parents were, and I still regret that. In any event, I have carefully tracked his descendents for these many years.”

Twilight was beginning to absorb what Celestia was telling her. And, as intelligent as she was, she was beginning to suspect what Celestia was about to say.

Celestia knew her well. “I think you know where I am going with this, Twilight. You see, I have many descendents even today. Guess who one of them is.”

“Sunset!” Twilight breathed with a broad smile.

“Yes,” confirmed Celestia, this time with a smile of her own. “In just the past month, using time magic, I have been able to determine who her parents were, and it turns out that both of them were my descendents. They were not closely related to each other, but this does explain Sunset’s potential. I have found, over the years, that my descendents often are more powerful than the average pony. But when two of them marry each other and have children, those children are usually even stronger.”

Twilight was absolutely astounded. “I…wow. I don’t know what to say.”

“I’m not finished.”

“What?! There’s more?!”

“Yes, and this I think you will enjoy. You see, Twilight, Sunset is not the only pony who has demonstrated high potential who is descended from me…” said Celestia meaningfully.

Twilight leapt to her feet, her eyes widening further and a brilliant smile breaking across her face. “Are you saying…that I…that I am descended from you too?!”

Now Celestia smiled at Twilight with great affection. “Yes, my dear. Both of your parents are descended from me, and therefore, so are you.”

Twilight pranced around the room with joy. “Oh this is so wonderful! I’m so happy! It’s like a dream come true!” She rushed back over to Celestia and hugged her.

“Actually, you and Sunset are quite closely related. Second cousins, I think.”

Twilight almost exploded. “Oh, it keeps getting better and better! And this means Luna and I are related too!”

“Yes, Twilight. Not to mention Cadence. And here’s one last surprise. While they each have only one parent descended from me, all your friends are my descendents too. This may be part of why they are so exceptional, and why they wield the Elements so well.”

Twilight started prancing again. “I don’t know what to say! This is so incredible! My friends – I’m related to them too! This is so wonderful!”

Distantly related, but it is wonderful, it's true,” Celestia agreed. “But please – let me be the one to tell Sunset about all this. I want to do it in my own time, and when she is ready. Can you do that for me, Twilight?”

“Of course!”


“Luna, may I speak with you?”

“Of course, my sister. Please, come in and make yourself at home.”

Celestia cantered into her sister’s apartments, noting and enjoying as always the rich, subdued, deep blue décor favored by the Princess of the Moon. She sat down on her usual pillow, which was the only light-colored object in the room.

“Tea?” asked Luna pleasantly.

“Please,” said Celestia with undisguised eagerness.

Luna smirked fondly and turned to a small stove in a far corner of her room.

“Luna, you should let the house staff get it,” Celestia said, concerned that Luna would put herself out for her.

“No, sister. It is my privilege to prepare tea for you personally,” said Luna over her shoulder.

“Oh. Well, thank you very much then.”

“You are very welcome. Now, I know you well. I can tell you have come to discuss a serious matter, and you are concerned that it will distress me.” Luna turned back to face her elder sister, having used her magic to light a small fire in the stove. The water was heating.

“I can hide little from you, Luna. And I rarely try. Indeed, I am here to discuss a very serious matter. Perhaps one of the most serious I have ever raised with you.”

Luna nodded. “I am prepared,” she said, sitting down on her own favorite pillow, just a couple feet away from Celestia.

Celestia decided to plunge ahead. “Luna, I am here to discuss the fate and future of Sunset Shimmer.”

“Ah, I see.”

“First, I would like to know where you stand regarding her.”

Luna was silent in thought for a moment. “I have told you about how I went to her in her dreams, when she was still recovering from the Rainbow Wave. At that time, I sensed in her a deep sorrow, and a desperate desire to repent and reform. Since then, by all accounts, she has demonstrated that these feelings and desires were true. She has turned back to the path of good, and has even behaved with great heroism. I am very pleased with her progress. Deeply pleased, actually, deep down in my own heart. To be honest, Tia, I feel that Sunset and I have much in common, and, if it were possible, I would look forward to knowing her better.”

Celestia nodded. “Good. I think your views of her are accurate, kind, and compassionate. So, I will proceed with a proposal that I must bring before you. You see, Luna, Sunset came to me as an orphan. She was found on the slopes of a nearby mountain, nearly frozen to death. I have only recently been able to determine who her parents were. Alas, they are long dead, as I have always suspected. They perished when a bridge fell from beneath them. I am not certain how Sunset survived, except that perhaps they levitated her away at the last second.”

Celestia shifted slightly and continued. “She was very young – hardly more than a foal. Once she had recovered, I began to sense her potential. It was astounding, Luna – very much like Twilight. I took it upon myself to train her. And, subconsciously at first, but later consciously, I tried to be something like a mother to her as well. She was my ward and grew up in the palace, and eventually attended my school and then became my personal apprentice. You know how that turned out.”

Luna nodded, a bit sadly.

“Sister, I am over 1,000 years old. But I still make mistakes. With Sunset, I did at least two things wrongly of which I am aware. First, when she and I argued the day she left, I lost my temper. I still cannot believe it. The only thing I can surmise about my behavior is that I cared for her more than I was willing to admit, and was terrified of losing her. So, I tried to frighten her into submission. I promise you if she had apologized, even halfheartedly, even for a second, I would have relented. Actually, knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone completely to pieces if she had. I almost did anyway. And as soon as I heard she had overpowered the guards, I searched for her myself, with the intention of apologizing and rescinding her banishment as soon as I found her. But she was already gone,” Celestia lamented.

Luna looked at her sister compassionately.

Celestia collected herself and continued. “The second way in which I erred was much earlier on. Luna,” said Celestia, looking her sister straight in the eye with great seriousness. “I should have adopted her.”

Luna considered this. At last she nodded. “Perhaps so. Why did you not?”

Celestia’s face became irritated, but Luna could tell she was angry at herself. “Fear, again. What else? Fear about how the nobles would react. Fear about how the earth ponies and pegasi would react. Fear about questions of succession, especially since I knew Sunset had the potential to become an alicorn, but I could not guarantee that it would actually happen. And lastly, fear about caring for someone that deeply – because then, if I were to lose her…”

Luna’s eyes filled with tears. “That fear is partly because of my failings, sister,” she said a bit bitterly.

“Partly,” Celestia acknowledged gently. “But you know that I am not blameless in that situation either. I feel that I have learned little, Luna. I am still trying to protect myself. Sunset needed a mother. Desperately. I tried to do that for her, but only partway. I tried to have my cake and eat it too. It was the wrong answer. In the end, I failed to create a place of safety and unconditional love for her, and I fear that made the difference.”

“You cannot know that for certain,” Luna warned, being well acquainted with regret.

“Can’t I? Perhaps not. We will never know.”

Luna stamped about a bit. She was deep in thought. At last she turned to Celestia. “Promise me you will not beat yourself up about this for the next thousand years. You are not perfect, Tia, and I do not expect you to be.”

“I will try,” said Celestia, nodding. “It is impossible to know the answer, so wasting time and emotional energy on it is unwise. I know that.”

“Good. If it means anything, I suspect Sunset herself would object to you blaming yourself for something you cannot know for certain. I think she has come that far, and it would probably pain her if you were to, frankly, indulge yourself in that kind of guilt.”

“You are probably right. Nevertheless, I am certain that losing my temper, not adopting her formally, and especially banishing her in my anger were serious errors in and of themselves, whatever their consequences. And I wish to right them.”

Luna seemed surprised. She stopped in her pacing and sat down heavily. “You wish to adopt her even now,” she stated in wonder.

“Yes. Very, very much. I think it would go a long way to healing the past, the present, and the future between her and me.”

Luna considered this. The tea kettle began to whistle. She rose and cantered to the stove. The question of Sunset’s adoption hung in the air between the two sisters as Luna prepared a tray. Presently, she returned, holding the tea service tray in her magic. She set it down between their pillows and poured, adding precisely the correct amount of sugar and cream to her sister’s tea. Celestia waited patiently. Luna could not be rushed. They both took a sip of tea. Celestia smiled. It was her favorite blend, and Luna had prepared it perfectly. She took this as a sign that Luna was not angry with her – as Luna had intended.

“You are here to ask for my support.” Luna stated simply and tersely, taking a sip of tea.

Celestia could only nod. In spite of Luna’s calm and the tea she felt her stomach contract with anxiety.

Luna looked up at the ceiling a bit airily for a few seconds. Finally, she looked back down at Celestia and deadpanned, “Very well, it is given. You should do it.” And she took another sip of tea nonchalantly.

Celestia was surprised, even taken aback. “You…don’t have to decide so quickly, Luna. This is a remarkably weighty matter – surely you would like to sleep on it, consider the possible…”

“No. I do not need to do those things,” interrupted Luna, shaking her head with pursed lips.

Celestia’s mouth opened and closed a few times.

Luna looked at her sister with an expression that was a mixture of affection, mild disappointment, and tease. “Tia, surely you don’t think I haven’t already considered this matter?”

Celestia froze. Then, she had to admit, “Well, to be honest, Luna, that is what I thought.”

“Celestia, Celestia,” Luna teased a bit haughtily, shaking her head, “sometimes you still treat me as though I am still a filly, though I know you do not mean to.” Her face softened. “This possibility occurred to me as soon as I learned that Sunset had been an orphan, which was some time ago. I have already considered nearly everything you have just told me, and already formed my opinion and recommendation. Would I be a good sister and co-ruler if I had not?”

“Well, I suppose not…but Luna, I don’t expect you to…divine my personal preferences…”

“Tia, this action would make Sunset my niece. Don’t you think I want to be a proud and doting aunt?”

“I had hoped you would be. I’m just, flustered I guess…but what about the succession? Luna, I love you so much, but if I adopt Sunset, I want to do it fully, or I have learned nothing. Alicorn or not, I would want to make her my full daughter, with all the rights and privileges thereof. You would be displaced in line for the throne…”

“And do you not know, sister, that I no longer desire it? No. I have no ambitions for the throne, Tia. I have left that far behind. I am quite content to be Princess of the Moon, and Mistress of Dreams.”

Celestia paused, but continued, needing to be reassured that Luna had completely considered all possibilities. “But Luna, if something happened to me, that means…”

“That Sunset Shimmer could one day be my superior? Yes, I know. I am confident, however, that she would never abuse her position with regard to me. And I am also confident that if I am gentle, nurturing, and kind – as I know you will be – I can forge a relationship of trust with her. In such a situation we would face our…grief over your loss together, and I would advise and mentor her. There is even the possibility that she would want to step aside in my favor, though I would probably counsel her against that.”

Celestia shook her head in amazement, but pressed on. “That addresses the official side of that matter, but what about the personal side? Sunset is an adult – she does not need to be cared for quite as a filly would be, but still…would you be willing to step into my place? To be like a mother to her yourself?”

“I would. I would do it gladly, and also to honor your memory and your love for her.”

Celestia sighed heavily. “These things…are not easy to talk or even think about.”

“No. But that is part of the burden of leadership.”

Celestia looked at Luna again. “You are certain, Luna? Because, if so, I mean to depart with Twilight for the human world as soon as possible.”

Luna smiled broadly. “I am not only certain, I am excited and happy. When you speak with her, please let Sunset know…that I love her too, and that I will be so glad to become her aunt.”

Celestia grinned joyfully. “Oh, Luna, I cannot tell you what this means to me. I am no longer afraid. After a thousand years, I have my sister back, I have an adopted niece, my student has become an alicorn and a princess, and now I will have my own daughter. And it sets my heart at ease to know that you want to be family to her too.”

Luna nuzzled Celestia warmly. “I do. It will be a joy.”

Celestia returned her sister’s affection. “I am reminded – I wish to discuss this with Cadence as well.”

“That is wise. But I have no doubt that she will agree with me. She too has no designs on the throne of Equestria.”

“Then I will leave for the Crystal Empire tomorrow. Do you mind covering Day Court for me?”

“Not at all.”

“Thank you Luna. Then let us go over a couple matters that will be brought before you.”

Author's Note:

I really love this chapter, again because of the import and honesty of the conversation between Twilight and Celestia. Celestia isn’t perfect – but she’s learning to face her mistakes.

Another twist! I like the idea that Star Swirl and Celestia were romantically involved. I know he started out as her teacher, but as she grew into adulthood, and he grew older, there was an attraction they couldn’t deny. I especially like the idea that she had to convince him that romance was worthwhile. He was just too busy! Lol!

I like that Celestia underestimated Luna, but also that Luna wasn’t upset with her about it. It’s some good sister-sister interaction, I hope. And I think Luna truly would want to be close to Sunset, since they are both reformed villains. "

PreviousChapters Next