• Published 28th Feb 2018
  • 10,422 Views, 615 Comments

Full Circle - Sotharan

  • ...
9
 615
 10,422

PreviousChapters Next
Part V: Daughter of the Sun || Chapter 43: Origins

The next morning the train ride to Canterlot was not long. After less than two hours Sunset found herself standing in the Canterlot train station with Twilight, trying to calm the butterflies in her stomach. Twilight had elected not to be formally received, to make sure the focus was on Sunset’s homecoming rather than on protocol. Sunset and Twilight weaved through the crowd that had exited the train, until suddenly a Royal Guard intercepted them. He saluted them both and cleared his throat. Twilight returned the salute automatically, but Sunset started and only returned the salute after a couple seconds, realizing that Celestia must have told her Royal Guards that she had been adopted.

“Your Highnesses,” the guard said warmly. “If you’ll follow me. Princess Celestia has arranged for your initial meeting in a private room of the train station.”

Sunset shook her head in amazement, but she followed Twilight and the guard to a nearby building. He opened the door for them and gallantly motioned inside. Twilight went right in, but Sunset followed only slowly, still apprehensive.

As she passed under the doorframe and her eyes began to adjust to the light, she saw three alicorns standing just a few feet away, all with happy smiles on their faces. Twilight was standing with her, just to her right.

“Welcome back, Sunset!” said Princess Celestia, and surged forward to embrace her adopted daughter. Sunset allowed the warmth of her pony mother’s embrace to comfort her. She started to feel that everything would be all right. After a moment, Celestia stepped back and nodded to Luna, who also came forward and pulled her niece into a hug.

“Hello, Sunset,” she said softly. “Thank you for honoring my request.”

“Request?” Sunset asked, confused.

“When we first met, in your dreams, I said I hoped to see your face in Equestria one day, even if only for a visit. You have fulfilled that hope, and I thank and welcome you,” Luna said with true affection.

Sunset blinked at her. She had certainly not forgotten when Princess Luna had entered her dreams, but that specific hope that Luna had expressed had slipped her mind. But now she remembered. “Oh…oh that’s right! I’m…glad I’m here. And it’s so good to see you, Aunt Luna. I haven’t had a chance to thank you in person for what you did for me that night. I can’t tell you how much of an encouragement it was!”

“Good,” said Luna, and stepped aside so that the pink alicorn with a taffy-colored mane and tail could leap forward, almost as Celestia had done, and literally sweep Sunset off her hooves into a hug.

“SUNSET!” Cadance cried. “I’M SO GLAD TO SEE YOU!”

Sunset laughed and returned the hug. There was nothing to be afraid of – now she fully understood. “Ha, ha…Cady…can you put me down? I need to breathe!” she said, still laughing.

Cadance put her down immediately. “Hi. Hi hi!” she said again. “Isn’t this great?”

Sunset chuckled again. “Yes! Yes it is. I don’t know what I was so worried about!”

Cadance smiled at her. “Don’t feel bad. Anypony would have been anxious.”

Sunset returned her smile. “I guess you’re right. And thank you so much for forgiving me, and welcoming me! All four of you!” she cried with a sweep of her hoof to take in all of the alicorns. “This return could have been awful, if the four of you hadn’t gone out of your way…”

“But we were rooting for you to come home and to turn from evil the whole time, Sunset!” Cadance said.

“I understand that now. More than you know. I’ll tell you all about the seaponies, Cady, if you haven’t already heard about them.”

Celestia came forward slightly. “May I suggest we do so over lunch? We’ve prepared a bit of a welcome back meal, for you, my little sun. And it is nearly noon.”

“A welcome back meal?” Sunset said tentatively, a bit of her anxiety returning.

“Yes, but don’t worry, it will be just the five of us. We have much to catch up on.”

Sunset’s shoulders relaxed again, and she smiled and nodded.

Celestia turned and led the royal party out of the back door of the train station building and toward a waiting enclosed carriage. After all five had boarded, the carriage departed as a team of proud earth pony guards began the long and winding way up the Canterhorn toward Canterlot City and Castle Canterlot. Sunset remembered that it would take about half an hour to reach the castle. The curtains of the carriage were drawn, as Celestia had suspected Sunset would want some privacy, but instead Sunset not only pulled the curtains open on her side of the carriage, but opened the window and leaned out, looking up the hill.

The city and castle looked unchanged. She was amazed, and shook her head. “I guess I haven’t really been gone all that long,” she mused, as she sat back down and looked at her pony mother.

“Not so long in an absolute sense. But the last three years have been very full for you. The most eventful of your life, I would say,” the white alicorn answered.

“Yes,” Sunset agreed softly.

“I am glad it looks familiar to you,” Luna said, with a funny sort of smile. “When I returned, not only was the castle I had lived in before ruined, but this one was totally new to me. ”She turned and smiled at Celestia. “But Tia, even before my return, had caused apartments to be set aside for me, decorated in my preferred hues, so I quickly felt at home.”

“I suppose I never quite gave up hope,” Celestia said, returning her sister’s smile. “Not for either of you.”

Sunset blushed slightly, but decided the topic gave her a chance to confirm something Twilight had told her. “Mom, Twi told me you kept my room for me. Is that true?”

“Yes, it is. You can stay there tonight, if you like. Though you certainly don’t have to – I can understand it might just be too…odd.”

“I’ll have to think about it,” Sunset said a bit uncertainly.

“Would it help if I stayed with you? We could probably have a second bed moved in there,” Twilight volunteered.

“It might, Twi. That’s definitely a thought,” Sunset replied.

The five ponies chatted about less weighty matters for most of the rest of the trip, until the carriage drew up to the city gates. Once again Sunset leaned out the window and looked up at the high walls and battlements of the capitol city. She felt her heart swell, and she gasped a bit as she saw the banners of the Principality of Equestria fluttering from the twin towers of the gatehouse. She had not expected to be so moved, but the gates were as glorious as she remembered.

As the royal carriage entered the streets of Canterlot, Sunset continued to poke her head out of the window and look at the streets. Gradually she saw stores and roads that she knew and shook her head in amazaement. She did not notice at first that the ponies of Canterlot were looking back at her with curiosity. There had been rumors, of course, that the High Princess’s prodigal protégée was returning, but few had believed it. Eventually Sunset realized ponies were pointing at her and whispering, and she drew back into the carriage, embarrassed and ashamed.

Celestia could almost read her thoughts. “Don’t be discouraged, my little sun. While it is true that some inhabitants of the city and castle may not remember you fondly, none have heard of your theft of Twilight’s crown, or what befall afterward.”

“What? But…how?” Sunset said, truly stunned.

“Only me, my friends, and the three other princesses were present when you stole the crown, Sunset,” Twilight clarified gently. “None of the guards saw, and none of us told them. We’ve been able to keep the entire matter just between all of us.”

“But…the pardon…” Sunset stammered.

“It is on the books, but in a classified section,” Celestia further explained. “So don’t worry. You won’t need to make amends here for anything you did in connection with the mirror world.”

Sunset was quiet for a moment, though the rest of the company could tell she was trying to control her relief. “So – when ponies look at me, they aren’t…”

“They aren’t angry about what happened with my crown, Sunset. They may be a bit worried that you are like you used to be, but you’ll soon show them how much you’ve changed,” Twilight reassured her. “And if it’s any consolation, remember that a fair percentage of the castle staff didn’t exactly have happy memories of me either, when I first came back after moving to Ponyville.”

“Twi, you hadn’t been unkind and condescending,” Sunset scoffed slightly.

“No, I’d been curt and impolite. Trust me – I had some apologies to make too, beyond just my friends from the school.”

Sunset sighed. “Fair enough.”

“We’re reaching the castle gate, Sunset,” said Cadance knowingly.

Sunset shamelessly put her head out the window again, watching with rapt attention as the carriage passed under the even higher castle walls. It slowly rolled to stop and the doors were opened by two members of the Royal Guard. Celestia stepped out of the carriage, followed closely by Luna. Once they were both on the ground, a nearly deafening fanfare was sounded. Knowing what would happen next, Sunset looked up at the highest tower and saw that the steward’s flag had already been pulled down. Now, as the fanfare concluded, she saw her mother’s personal flag rise above the tower: her cutie mark surmounted by a crown. Beneath the golden eight-rayed sun was Celestia’s personal monogram: C P S, which stood for “Celestia Solaris Princeps”. But on another tower, further away, she saw another flag rise – dark blue with silver devices: a full moon, also surmounted by a crown, with a similar monogram of L P S.

“That’s your flag, Aunt Luna!” Sunset cried excitedly. Luna looked over her shoulder at her niece, unable to completely hide her pride and pleasure that Sunset had noticed.

Next Cadence and Twilight went down from the carriage. A slightly shorter fanfare was sounded, and Sunset looked up at the towers. On two of them, two more flags were raised, Cadance’s and Twilight’s. Cadance’s was pink with a crown over her cutie mark, and her monogram was M A P C. Twilight’s was purple with a crown over her cutie mark, and her monogram was T P S. Sunset could hardly contain her happiness. She was truly proud of Twilight, and seeing her flag raised over Canterlot Castle, though Twilight was clearly slightly embarrassed by it, made her feel exhilarated.

Finally, Sunset stepped down from the carriage, fully expecting nothing to happen at all. But to her surprise, a different fanfare sounded – once she had not heard before, though it seemed similar to one she knew. She was startled, but Celestia turned toward her. “You didn’t expect me to make nothing of your new status, did you Sunset?”

“Well…I…had no idea, to be honest,” Sunset said, honestly.

Celestia smiled affectionately at her. “You are my daughter. Though you have not yet been content to accept a crown of your own, I have issued letters patent that you be afforded the rank of a royal duchess. We had to invent an appropriate fanfare, as there has never been one before.”

“Oh,” Sunset blushed crimson. “Uh, thanks, Mom. I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t need to say anything. I know it will be an adjustment. But try to enjoy it a bit. I do love you, after all.”

“Mom!” Sunset protested, conscious of the full company of Royal Guards surrounding them.

Celestia laughed and turned, giving Sunset a nuzzle. Sunset objected further, but didn’t draw away. She also couldn’t completely keep from smiling.

It was then that Celestia’s Chief of Staff, Sir Kibitz, approached the royal party and bowed briefly to Celestia. “Your Highness, welcome back. I have cleared today’s schedule as you directed.” He turned to the other princesses, acknowledging them with a bow as well, which each of them returned. Finally, his eyes came to rest on Sunset. He stared for a second, clearly a bit surprised in spite of having been told that she would be returning today, but then gave her a shrewd, funny sort of look.

“Miss Shimmer,” he said with a slight smile, almost teasingly.

Sunset blushed and bowed slightly in spite of herself. She was quite embarrassed. Kibitz turned back to Celestia. “Lunch is served, Madam. If you all will come with me?” he said, and turned and led the way into the castle.

Sunset looked all around as the royal party entered the central keep and moved through hallways that seemed both familiar and strange. But memories began to return. She saw nooks and statues that she had played amongst as a foal, and remembered the stained glass windows that lined the halls. Twilight fell back to walk next to her, eager to keep her company and to be supportive. It was not long until they reached the Great Hall. Long, grand, and filled with colored light that filtered through more stained glass windows, today the Hall contained only a small table set for five. How many times have I eaten at this table?Sunset wondered to herself. At first it had only been her and Celestia, sometimes joined by Kibitz or Prince Blueblood. Later, Cadance had usually dined with them as well, much to Sunset’s chagrin at the time. Not that she’d been a big fan of Blueblood either…

Kibitz departed, leaving the royals in the hands of Celestia’s chamberlain. Sunset, seeing him turn the corner as he left through the Hall’s massive oak doors, suddenly cried, “Excuse me!” and dashed after him. The other princesses seemed surprised, but Celestia reassured them.

“Let her clear the air with him. She won’t be able to enjoy the meal until she does.”

Sunset caught up with Kibitz at the first intersection of halls. She called out breathlessly, “Kibitz! Sir Kibitz! Please wait!”

He paused and turned to her, erasing the knowing look from his face. She could not perceive the surge of affection he felt at her familiar behavior. Changed or not, Sunset was a force to be reckoned with. “Why, Ms. Shimmer? Whatever can be the problem?”

She skidded to a halt in front of him, huffing and puffing. “Please. A moment of your time,” she asked as she caught her breath.

Kibitz pretended to think for a moment, then simply nodded.

“I…I don’t know where to begin,” she said, suddenly looking a bit dismayed.

Kibitz almost chuckled to himself. She could still get a bit ahead of herself, it seemed. “I find that the beginning is usually a very good place to start,” he said simply.

“Oh…uh, yes. So…when I was here before. When I was growing up…I was real brat. I know that now.” She hung her head. “You deserved better. I know you served in the Army, and won your knighthood on the battlefield. And Celestia trusts you. I’m sorry I didn’t give you the respect you’d earned. I’m sorry I was so spoiled.”

Kibitz didn’t say anything at first. He had to admit he was more moved than he thought he’d be. So, he spoke from the heart, tempering his words with the wisdom of late middle age. “Sunset, what I’m about to say could sound condescending, but it’s not meant to be. All right?”

She looked up and nodded, waiting.

“You were only a foal, and then a filly. And you’d had a lot to overcome.”

“That doesn’t excuse…”

“Please let me finish,” he said firmly, though he had to suppress a smile again at the familiar force of her personality.

“Oh, of course. I’m sorry.”

“Sunset. I have three foals of my own. I know how to be patient with those who are young. Yes, Celestia trusts me. But I trust her, too. She saw something special in you, and that was good enough for me.”

“Oh,” Sunset said, surprised.

He looked at her again for a moment, this time letting a bit of fondness show. “My three little ones are all different, though they aren’t so little now, I suppose. Sunset, are you familiar with the concept of the ‘strong-willed’ foal?”

“Uh, not very familiar, no,” she admitted.

“There are some foals who are difficult to discipline. They like to go their own way, and correcting them can be a real challenge – sometimes almost impossible. They are frustrating and tiring. Sometimes they have to learn lessons the hard way. But none of that necessarily means they are any less loved. And do you know what?” he asked, his eyes twinkling slightly.

“What?” Sunset asked, shamelessly interested.

“When they grow up, while they generally do eventually learn to listen to those who are older and wiser, it is often these ‘strong-willed’ foals who go on to be leaders and visionaries. They don’t accept the status quo, or put up with nonsense. They insist on change when change is needed, and, often, they don’t stop until they get it. We need ponies like that sometimes, Sunset,” Kibitz observed. “My middle foal is like that, and I have a feeling you are, too.”

Sunset blushed and looked away.

“So, don’t be afraid. I do forgive you, and I thank you for apologizing. I know it wasn’t easy. And,” he said, using a gentle forehoof to turn her face back to his own, “believe me when I say that I am truly glad that you are back safely, and that you have learned so much.”

“Thank you,” Sunset said with obvious relief.

“Now, go back to your family and have something to eat. And welcome back.”

Sunset gave him a smile of true gratitude and galloped back toward the Hall. Kibitz allowed himself a true chuckle and continued about his duties.

The rest of the day was full. Lunch was truly enjoyable, and afterward she had spent time individually with Cadance and later Luna, while Twilight conferred with her mother about various matters. She had also run into several other royal household ponies to whom she immediately apologized. To her surprise, they were all as magnanimous as Sir Kibitz had been. There wasn’t time to make it down to the school, though – clearing the air with the teachers there would have to wait for another day.

She had also re-familiarized herself with her room. It was just as she had left it. To her surprise, while it was a bit bittersweet, it was comforting, too. Sunset found that she could have a measure of compassion on her younger self, knowing what she now knew. She still wasn’t sure about sleeping there alone, though, so she did take Twilight up on her offer to have a second bed moved in.


Now it was evening in Canterlot. High in the castle, Sunset entered her mother’s chambers, planning on a quiet night of just being with her. She soon reached the familiar door to Celestia’s personal apartments, and, for the first time in over three years, she knocked without fear or anger – only gladness.

“Come in, my little one,” she heard the voice that was dearest to her in any world call.

Using her magic, she pushed the door open gently and sidled in. She found her mother resting on a white pillow near the foot of her bed. Twilight sat next to her. Both of them smiled at her with undisguised happiness.

“Hi Mom. Hey Twi,” said Sunset simply, and headed to a red pillow next to them both that was clearly for her. With a contented sigh, she made herself comfortable. “So. What’s new?” she asked. She felt a pang of anxiety when Celestia and Twilight exchanged a significant look. “Uh oh,” she observed quietly, her heart sinking.

“Listen, my little sun. I have some things to tell you tonight,” said Celestia softly. “Some of them will be difficult to hear, but some of them will be glad tidings. But there is no doubt that it will be a lot to take in.”

“Will there be no end to serious matters?” Sunset asked with true frustration.

“Yes and no,” said Celestia. “I have learned much in the past few months, and much of what I have learned concerns you. But once you have heard it, I think – I hope – that will be the end of ‘big news’ for a while.”

“Good. Because one day, I want to come here and just hang out with you. Just pass a quiet evening in front of a fire. Is that so much to ask?” she said, raising her voice and looking up at the ceiling.

Celestia looked a bit sad.

“Sorry Mom. I know it’s not your fault.”

“I know. And part of me wants to put this off. But it wouldn’t be fair to keep these things from you any longer.”

Sunset steeled herself. “Ok, let’s get it over with. Lay it on me.”

Celestia didn’t speak immediately. After about 30 seconds of silence, she started. It was clear that what she was about to say was hard to get out. “Sunset, I had always hoped to see you again. And when you returned, I wanted to be prepared to give you some answers. Answers about yourself – where you come from, and what your history is. Well, I have been able to learn a great deal. A great deal more than I once knew.”

Sunset was instantly guarded. “Mom…are you saying…you know more about who my parents were?”

“Yes, Sunset.”

She froze and just looked at her mother, then swallowed. “Oh boy,” she breathed, unable to disguise her fear.

“Sweetheart, please don’t be afraid. Not all the news is good, it is true, but some of it is good. Very good. I promise.”

Sunset was nodding and trying to stay strong, but her eyes were already filling up. “Go…go ahead, Mom.”

“Using time magic, I have been able to determine not only who your parents were, but what happened to them.”
Sunset’s face screwed up. A tear ran down her cheek. “Were?”

“Yes, my most darling filly. I am so sorry. They are in fact gone, as we always suspected.”

Sunset closed her eyes as tears leaked out of them, but she didn’t break down. “Ok. Ok. I can do this. Please, tell me all about them. Tell me what happened to them.”

Celestia and Twilight both moved closer to her. Celestia put out her wing and pulled Sunset and Twilight under it so that Sunset was pressed up against her and Twilight was pressed up against Sunset. She took another deep breath.
“Sunset, your parents were from New Canterlot. That is your hometown.”

“Really? That’s amazing!I’ve never been there.”

“As you are aware, New Canterlot is a colony of Canterlot that lies over the mountains to the north. Your parents lived there. They were both unicorns. Your mother was named Golden Star. She was a pony of rare coloration – her mane, tail, and fur were all the same color – the color of your coat, Sunset – that rare golden color that is so uncommon among ponies. Her cutie mark was a blue eight-pointed star. And you have her eyes.”

Sunset smiled happily, though she was wiping away more tears.

“Your father was called Sunrise Shimmer. He was red with an orange mane and tail. His cutie mark was an orange and yellow sun with five visible rays rising over a horizon.”

Sunset just shook her head in wonder.

Celestia continued. “By all accounts your parents were good and kind ponies who were gifted with magic, just as you are. They were very much in love and married at a relatively young age – 18 to be exact. And you apparently followed their marriage pretty quickly – perhaps a little more quickly than they had planned – but all of my sources tell me…” here Celestia looked deeply into Sunset’s eyes, knowing she was about to tell Sunset one of the most important things she would ever hear, “…that they loved you very, very much and were very pleased with you.”

This was indeed cause for a few bittersweet tears from Sunset. It was a deep, deep relief to know that she had been loved, but of course it made her wish she had known her parents even more intensely than before. Celestia didn’t say anything for a while. She just nuzzled Sunset’s head and mane and waited. Twilight snuggled closer to her too. Once Sunset had recovered a bit, Celestia pressed on.

“It seems that they were moving from New Canterlot back to Canterlot itself. Apparently they were so gifted in magic that New Canterlot, being a young town at that time, didn’t have the resources to teach them. They were coming back to the capitol to get advanced magical training. And, my darling, it was during this move, when you were only a little more than one year old, that tragedy befell. It seems that they elected to take the path over the mountains. It was late spring, so it should have been safe. Unfortunately it had been a hard winter, and the snows had damaged the road. They were crossing a bridge over a deep crevasse when…the bridge failed.”

Sunset was just looking down. She didn’t say a word.

“They must not have known how to teleport yet, or they might have survived. They, and their cart with all their belongings, plunged into the crevasse. It was a 2500 foot drop.”

Again, there was only silence, but Sunset broke it. “How did I survive?”

Celestia sighed heavily. “Little one, I have not had the heart to try to go back to the exact moment it happened. I am afraid…I would be too tempted to try to…save them. ”Celestia sniffed and levitated a tissue to her eyes. Once she had wiped away her tears, she looked at Sunset meaningfully. “You know why we can’t do that, don’t you, darling?”

Sunset looked up at Celestia and nodded sadly.

“It’s not wrong to want to…” Celestia murmured very quietly. “In fact, restraining myself from doing that…is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done.”

Silence.

“I wish it hadn’t happened. As much of a joy as it is to me that you are now my daughter, I wish they had lived.”

Sunset looked up at Celestia. “Thank you,” she said simply. “Thank you for saying that.” Celestia used another tissue to soak up Sunset’s newest round of tears.

“I think there can be only one conclusion as to how you survived, Sunset. One or both of them, as they realized what was happening, must have levitated you away. They saved you, my little sun. They loved you so much.”

This time Sunset did lose her composure and wept. “I’m so sorry, Sunset,” Celestia whispered to her. “It’s not fair. It’s not fair.” It was a few minutes before Sunset was ready to hear more.

“What else?” she asked heavily, not even trying to hide her fatigue.

“That is the summary of the story of your parents. But it isn’t the end of the story of your family. You might wonder how I found out so much about them. Well, there are those in New Canterlot who remember them. In fact, my darling, you have relatives there,” said Celestia, widening her eyes with an anticipatory smile.

“I have…family?” Sunset asked incredulously. Suddenly, her eyes were alight with hope.

“Yes, love. You have cousins, aunts, and uncles. And…you have grandparents!”

Sunset’s mouth was wide open in amazement. “I have grandparents!” she cried with nascent joy.

“Yes. All four of your grandparents live, Sunset. And…” said Celestia, leaning close, “…they are unspeakably excited about meeting you!”

Sunset leapt to her hooves, unable to contain her joy. She made inarticulate sounds as she bounced about the room, almost as Pinkie might have.

Celestia let her exult for a minute or two, then cleared her throat.

Sunset stopped and looked at her. “There’s more?” she cried.

“Yes, darling. No bad news, though. From here on it’s good news, though some of it is still quite serious. Do you want to take a break? Hear the rest in the morning? I wouldn’t blame you.”

“Mom. It’s me,” Sunset deadpanned. Twilight stifled a laugh.

“I figured. Onward then. So. Well. Here’s the part that’s a bit uncomfortable for me.”

“Uncomfortable for you?”

“Yes. Indeed. So. Here goes.” And Celestia proceeded to tell Sunset the story of how she and Star Swirl had dated and even been lovers for a single night. How there had been a foal, how Celestia had many descendents today, and how Sunset, on both her parents’ sides, was one of them. Sunset’s reaction was similar to Twilight’s – amazement, astonishment, joy, and wonder.

“I’m like your great, great…a lot of greats…granddaughter!” Sunset cried with joy, embracing Celestia.

“Yes, my darling. And I am as glad to know it as you. But it gets better. You are, of course, related to my sister as well. And, if my counterpart and I are genetically identical in the human world, you’re even genetically related to…”

“To my mom and aunt in the human world!” Sunset cried again, overjoyed.

“And…”

“There’s more?” Sunset squeaked, her voice getting higher and higher with excitement.

“I have many descendents. I have found over the centuries that they tend to be extraordinary to some degree, perhaps unsurprisingly. For example, all of the Element Bearers are descended from me on one side, though, like you, one of them is my descendent on both sides.”

“Sweet Faust! I’m related to my friends!” Sunset grinned. She started as she realized something. “All of the Element Bearers?”

Celestia smiled at her happily. “Yes, all of them. For the most part quite distantly, it is true, but related nonetheless.”

Sunset looked at Twilight. “Twi. We’re related.” She sat down, overcome by amazement.

“Yes we are, Sunset – but we’re even more closely related than you think. You see, I’m the Bearer who’s Celestia’s descendent on both sides. But beyond even that – your father and my father were first cousins!”

Sunset’s mouth dropped open.

“Yes!” Twilight said, standing up and trotting over to Sunset. “your father’s mother and my father’s father were sister and brother. So we share a set of great-grandparents! We had always wondered what happened to Uncle Sunrise,” she said a bit sadly. “Now we know.”

Uncle Sunrise?” Sunset asked in confusion.

“I think of him as an uncle because he’s a generation older than me, though I know he’s technically my first cousin once removed. I never met him though.”

“So we are…second cousins?” Sunset asked.

“You got it. Isn’t that great?”

Sunset smiled a luminous smile, but it darkened suddenly. Twilight noticed, of course. “Sunset, what’s wrong?”

Sunset sighed heavily. “If I’d only known. Oh Twi. If I’d known you were family, maybe I wouldn’t have tried to steal your crown. And if I’d known the girls were family - even if distantly - maybe I’d have been nicer to them, too. I don’t know,” she finished, shaking her head.

Twilight hugged her. “I know. Don’t worry, Sunset. We’ve all forgiven you. Things have worked out all right in the end.” Celestia hugged her too.

Sunset sighed again, but seemed comforted. "My past is not today…” she murmured to herself.

“Sorry?” Twilight asked.

“Nothing. So, ‘cuz’, this is great. I really am happy about it,” Sunset smiled at Twilight.

“Good,” Celestia interjected. “And…”

“MORE?” Sunset cried.

“Yes. You are both related to Cadance too. She is my descendent on both sides. Most alicorns are, as it turns out.”

Sunset shook her head in amazement. “Wow. That’s really great!”

Celestia smiled, though her face soon became serious again. “There’s one last thing. And again, Sunset, if you want to wait to hear about this…”

“No, Mom. I’m hanging in. Tell me.”

Celestia took a deep breath. “Sunset, with the knowledge I had gained about what had happened to your parents…it has been possible…to…” she couldn’t finish.

“To find their bodies?” Sunset finished for her in a very small voice.

Celestia swallowed. “Yes. And the remains of the cart too. There are some objects that have been salvaged, and now they will belong to you. I know they would have wanted you to have them. But, once we found your parents, Sunset, it became necessary to…”

“To bury them,” Sunset finished again with a grimace.

“Yes. They were my descendents, Sunset. I couldn’t leave them there. I’m sorry we couldn’t wait for you, but we thought you would not want them to be…out there, exposed. Now they rest. In honor and peace.”

“Where are they laid?” Sunset asked sorrowfully.

“Here. In the royal graveyard.”

“Wow. Thank you,” Sunset breathed, amazed.

“As I said, they were my descendants as well as your parents. I could not allow them to be laid anywhere else.”

“Weren’t there questions?”

“There were. But I declined to answer them.”

“So. The matter of your foal, and his progeny – it’s to be kept a secret?” Sunset asked delicately.

“Yes. For now. Only you and the other princesses know. Sunset, I ask that we keep it that way for the time being. I’m still unsure about the ramifications of revealing it all.”

“I understand. And I will do as you ask.”

“Thank you, my darling. So…do you want to go to them?” Celestia asked with great compassion.

Sunset nodded.

“Then tomorrow, we will go together,” Celestia finished.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed the fanfares, flags, and monograms. I do love a bit of ceremony.

Sir Kibitz addresses Celestia as “Madam” the second time he talks to her. That’s roughly in line with the system of address in the British Honours System, which is the one I’m most familiar with. When addressing a sovereign, one refers to the royal person as “Your Majesty” the first time in conversation, and from thenceforth a slightly less formal “Sire” (for males) or “Madam, or even Ma’am” (for females) is sufficient.

I've had some comments about Sunset being related to her friends. I want to stress that, except in Twilight's case, the degree of relation is quite distant. To share a common ancestor after 1,000 years implies no great degree of relation. The main intent was to show how the Element Bearers are exceptional, in part, because they have Celestia as that common ancestor.

“Come in, my little one,” she heard the voice that was dearest to her in any world call – because, of course, it’s the same voice as Principal Celestia’s.

PreviousChapters Next