• Published 4th Jul 2017
  • 2,519 Views, 137 Comments

The Lavender Arrow - DisneyFanatic23



Based on Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Black Arrow." During a civil war in medieval Equestria, Spike doesn't know who he can trust when outlaws accuse his guardian Tirek of being responsible for his father's death.

  • ...
5
 137
 2,519

Escape

Spike was awoken by a sudden crash. Sitting up in bed, he glanced around the small room. After concluding that it was nothing, he shrugged and lay back down.

Then his earholes picked up on the faint sound of hoofsteps, but there was something strange about them. With every step of a hoof, there was a slightly muffled step that didn't sound like it came from a hoof at all. Spike kept his eyes open in alertness.

It was strange that Tirek should have him sleep in this room, for it was rumored to be haunted. Some believed it was the ghost of his father, or mother, or one of Spike's long-departed ancestors. There was no telling who, for the castle was very old.

Spike didn't believe in ghosts, but he couldn't help wondering if his father's spirit had come to haunt him.

"F-Father?" he whispered.

There was another crash and an eerie moan, as if someone were in pain. Spike's eyes opened further, for the sounds seemed to be coming from the walls.

No ghost, he thought, but perhaps a secret passage within the walls? Is someone in that passage now?

That idea was even worse than a ghost, for ghosts could do no real harm. A real person could.

Then he heard a slight click! This was followed by a low creak, as if a door were opening.

Reaching down, Spike felt for his bow.

Then there was another series of clicks! These came from the doorknob, which was shaking and twisting. Something slammed shut while something else creaked open.

Finally getting ahold of his bow, Spike sprang out of his bed and fumbled as he searched in the darkness for an arrow.

"Whoa, whoa, Spike, relax! It's me!"

Looking up, Spike squinted in the darkness. He could make out the faint outline of a pony.

"Applejack?" he said. "Is that you?"

He turned to the candle on his bedside table and blew gently on the wick, setting it aflame. The room instantly lit up and Spike could see his friend standing in the doorway. Applejack grinned at the sight of him.

"You're okay!" she exclaimed, shutting the door behind her.

"So are you!" Spike said, happily running to her.

They threw their hooves and arms around each other.

"I thought I'd never see you again!" Spike said.

"Me too," Applejack whispered, tightening her squeeze. "I was worried you might be dead!"

"Dead?" he asked, pulling away to look at her questioningly. "Why would you think that? You're the one who was locked up. Wait. How did you even escape the tower?"

She shrugged. "'Twas nothin'. When the guards brought me my meal, I grabbed one of their maces and…" She shook her head. "That's not important. Spike, I overheard Tirek talkin' to Discord. I think he means to kill you!"

He blinked. "Kill me?"

"At least…that's what I think he said. They were talkin' about movin' ya to another room so things would be 'easier,' and then Tirek said somethin' about doin' what Discord should've done to Twilight Sparkle, and that you were no longer of use to him and then he made a threat against Discord's wife and…"

Spike glanced around the room as everything clicked into place.

"He did try to kill me," he murmured. "Or someone just did. Before you came, I heard movement in the walls. I think there's a secret passage somewhere in this room, and whoever was in it meant to kill me!" He froze. "That's why…Uncle Tirek…moved me to this room."

Devastated, his head fell onto Applejack's chest, which caught her by surprise. "Oh, AJ, you were right all along! Uncle Tirek is a villain! A horrible villain! He probably murdered my father too! And he sent an assassin after me because I was so close to finding out! I can't believe I didn't trust you before! I'm so sorry, Applejack! Can you ever forgive me?"

Her face had turned as red as an apple from the way his face was buried in her chest. Then she smiled and gently rubbed his back.

"Of course I do, Sugar Cube," she whispered.

He smiled. "You broke out of your cell, risked your life to come and save me." He looked up at her. "I've never had a friend like you, AJ. I owe you so much now, I don't think I'll ever be able to repay the favor at this rate."

She giggled. "You can repay me the favor by helpin' me get outta his castle and then to Applewood like ya promised."

"Right." He gasped. "The murderer! He might still be in the passage! Quick, lock the door!"

She raised an eyebrow as he raced to the key hanging on the wall. "Won't that just lock us in with the killer?"

"More like prevent him from escaping," Spike said as he locked the door. "Got a weapon?"

She pointed to her belt. "Just this mace I grabbed from one of the guards."

"Good." He blew out the candle and whispered, "There's two of us and one of him now. When he comes out of the passage, we'll surprise him and then use the passage to escape."

Applejack placed her hoof on the handle of the mace. "But where does the passage come out?"

"Don't know," Spike said, getting his bow ready. "We'll just have to be on high alert."

Nodding, she drew the mace from her belt.

"Get down," Spike whispered.

They sat on the floor and leaned against the bed so their silhouettes could not be seen. With their weapons in hoof—and claw—they waited in silence.

At the sudden sound of hoofsteps, Applejack felt Spike's claw take her free hoof and give it an assuring squeeze. She resisted the urge to smile, knowing there were more pressing matters to deal with.

"That's strange," Spike whispered. "The hoofsteps seem to be…fading away."

Applejack listened intently. "You're right. Suppose he gave up?"

He shrugged. "Maybe he heard you were in here and got scared."

"Uh-oh." She bit her lip. "If he's workin' for Tirek and he heard I was in here, then…"

A sudden shout made them jump. "WHERE IS SHE?!"

Outside, there was a scuffle of many feet running about, along with many frantic voices.

"The prisoner's escaped!"

"Find that mare!"

"Apple Jewel has escaped!"

Applejack stiffened. "Oh no. We're done for."

"Don't worry, AJ," Spike said, sighing in relief. "They're looking for some pony named Apple Jewel, a mare. They'll be too busy chasing her to pay any attention to us. We could use this as an advantage for our escape! Come on, Applejack! Applejack?"

But when he looked to his friend, he did not see the happy expression he had expected. Even though it was dark, he could still make out her dour face in the moonlight.

Her face. He relit the candle with his breath and brought it to his friend's face. Only now did he realize just how feminine it looked. The muzzle wasn't broad and firm like a stallion's, but round and smooth, like a mare's.

For the second time that night, his mind was blown out of proportion.

"Why," Spike said, his eyes wide in surprise, "you're not an Applejack at all, are you?" He stood up. "You're an Apple Jewel!"

Closing her eyes and letting out a sigh, Apple Jewel removed her cap, releasing a magnificent head of long, yellow hair. Spike watched in awe as the strands of gold fell down her shoulders in a messy, but luscious shower.

"Yes," the mare said. "My name is Apple Jewel of the Apple Clan. And yes, I'm a mare."

Spike then remembered hearing that name somewhere else before. "Y-You're the mare I'm supposed to marry, aren't you?"

Apple Jewel nodded. "That's why Tirek brought me here. I didn't wanna marry someone I didn't love, so I escaped. I thought ya'd be cruel like Tirek but then I ran into ya and…"

She buried her face in her hooves and spoke rapidly. "I wanted to tell ya the truth, I really did, but ya know it's death for any mare who dresses like a stallion and I didn't know if I could trust ya and ya said ya didn't like mares and I thought it was for the best cuz ya didn't wanna marry me anyway and we couldn't stand each other but then we got to know each other and oh, Spike, I'm really sorry for lyin' to ya! I know ya must be really upset with everyone else lyin' to ya and I can understand if ya never wanna talk to me or trust me again but I really don't wanna lose havin' ya as a friend because I…" She sighed. "Well, doesn't matter."

She waited for him to yell at her, to scold her, to break into tears even. Instead, she got silence. Confused, Apple Jewel opened her eyes to look at him. To her surprise, he didn't appear upset at all. Instead he was…grinning.

"Spike?" she said, cocking her head. "You okay?"

In truth, Spike had never felt better.

For a moment, he forgot about all the peril they were in, his heart pounding hard inside his chest as he took in the sight of the mare before him. In the dim candlelight, her freckles glowed against her orange cheeks, and her emerald eyes glistened. Her long hair framed it all perfectly, giving her a semblance of the sun setting against the evening sky.

The realization of her true sex, and all they had been through together, suddenly made her the most beautiful creature Spike had ever laid eyes upon.

"Why are ya lookin' at me like that?" Apple Jewel finally asked.

"Huh?" Spike shook his head. "Sorry, it's just…you're a mare."

She blinked. "You're…not mad at me?"

"Mad? How can I be mad? This is wonderful! I'm not crazy!"

"Huh?"

He blushed fiercely. "I mean…" He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "You're pretty cool, for a mare." He winced. "That's not to say mares can't be cool, I just mean…uh…"

Apple Jewel giggled at his behavior, which made him blush harder. He could not remember a time he'd been more tongue-tied.

"So I take it ya don't mind the fact that these past few days a mare's been savin' yerr behind?" she asked coyly.

"No! On the contrary, it actually…"

A thump on the door caused them to turn towards it.

"SPIKE!" Tirek's voice hollered. "OPEN UP! GIVE US THE MARE! WE KNOW SHE'S IN THERE!"

"Oh, yeah," Spike said. "We're supposed to be escaping. Right." He stood up. "You barricade the door. I'll try to find the passageway."

Apple Jewel went to work without argument. Spike scanned the floor for any loose boards. Finding none, he looked around the room. When he did, he saw that Apple Jewel had already moved the dresser in front of the door.

"Wow," he said with a grin. "You're pretty strong."

She beamed. "Thanks."

They locked gaze for a moment, until another fierce knock reminded them of the situation. Apple Jewel went for the bookcase standing against the wall, but when she gave it a push, it wouldn't budge.

"Give me a hand with this," she said, grunting as she pushed again. "This is heavier than it looks."

Walking under her, Spike helped push the bookcase. Then he noticed something odd about it.

"Hey, look," he said, pointing to the edge of the case. "No wonder it won't budge. It's lodged into the wall." Upon squinting, he noticed a thin line in the wall along the edge of the bookcase. "This has gotta be the entrance! Quick, pull out all these books!"

While Spike began throwing the books off the shelves, Apple Jewel rolled her eyes. "Of course. It's always the bookcase."

As annoyed as she was by this cliché, she joined him. The knocking on the door grew louder.

"OPEN THIS DOOR, SPIKE! OR WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO BREAK IT DOWN!"

"He's not kidding!" Spike whispered. "Hurry!"

"Why ya got so many books in here? I thought this was a guestroom!" Apple Jewel said.

Then Spike's claw pulled out a copy of The Adventures of Robin Hood, but it only tilted forward slightly, making a clicking sound. He and Apple Jewel took a step back as the bookcase swung open, revealing a doorway to a darkened stone tunnel.

"There is a passageway!" Apple Jewel exclaimed.

Just then, Tirek's claw crushed through the top of the door.

"And just in time, too!" Spike whispered, grabbing his bow and quiver. "Quick, grab the candle and let's go!"

Snatching the burning candle from the floor, Apple Jewel raced to the passageway with Spike. The dragon shut the bookcase behind them just as Tirek made another hole in the door.

"It won't be long before he figures out we discovered the passageway," Spike whispered. "Let's move. Quietly."

They hurried their pace, but not fast enough to make too much noise. When the entrance was out of sight, the two of them decided it was safe to slow down a little to catch their breath.

"That was close," Apple Jewel said. "So…any idea where this tunnel lets out?"

"We'll find out soon enough," Spike said, squinting into the vast darkness beyond the dim candlelight. "But it looks like we might have a bit of a way to go."

"At least we've lost Tirek. For now." She sighed. "Just once I'd like us to have a moment where we're not runnin' away from someone or somethin'!"

"Right."

He looked up at her face, admiring how pretty it looked. Had she always looked that way, or was he only noticing now that he knew her true sex? Then again, even when he had thought she was a colt, he had thought her aesthetically pleasing.

"So…since we might have some time," he said, lacing his fingers together nervously, "exactly…how much of what you've told me about yourself is true?"

She locked eyes with him, hers holding a great amount of guilt.

"I know why you lied about being a mare," Spike said assuredly. "Especially the part about you being my betrothed. But now that I know, I think we should be completely honest with each other from now on."

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath. "That story I told ya about my parents was true. They were star-crossed lovers, both comin' from powerful families." She snorted. "I know, sounds weird considerin' the Pears and Apples are farmers, but still very rich."

He cocked his head. "How rich?"

With much hesitance, Apple Jewel knelt down and whispered in his ear. His eyes widened upon her answer.

"Wow," he murmured.

"Yup. When apples and pears are high in demand, we get a lotta compensation for 'em."

"No wonder Tirek wanted me to marry you."

She nodded. "Not to mention my brother's a knight loyal to Celestia, and my grandfather, Sir Grand Pear, is loyal to Luna."

"But why, though? I mean…I've never really known which side to take in this war, but…don't farmers need sunlight to grow their crops? Why would he be on Luna's side?"

"Rivalry," Apple Jewel muttered. "As much as the Pears and Apples got along before the war, Grand Pear was secretly jealous of how well the Apples were doin' in business. Luna understood that well. So she promised Grand Pear that she could use her magic to make his pear trees grow bigger and stronger than the apple trees, sunshine or not."

"I see," Spike said with a nod. "Money, plus you come from two families connected to Celestia and Luna."

She shook her head. "This is about more than just money and politics. Tirek wants to get his hands on somethin' else, somethin' much more powerful."

He looked at her intriguingly. "Like what?"

Apple Jewel looked on ahead. "When my parents had their secret weddin', they had it on the border between the Apple farm and the Pear farm. They sealed their vows by plantin' two seeds: an apple seed on the Pear side, a pear one on the Apple side.

"Not long after my older brother was born, a tree sprang out from the ground. Or rather, it was two trees, entwined together, formin' the shape of a heart. What was even more remarkable was that despite the trees comin' from two different seeds, they both grew apples and pears."

"Wow," Spike said in awe. "That is pretty amazing, but…why would Tirek care about a tree that grows two different kinds of fruit?"

"Oh, that's not the only magical thing about it. Ever since the tree came up, all the trees at Sweet Apple Acres, that's the name of my farm, have always been rich with apples. For every apple we picked, another would appear. Even in winter, the apples stayed on the trees and never went rotten. That's how we've made most of our fortune.

"And get this. One time, my little sister fell ill and the doctors said there was no cure for her. But the minute after she had some of the fruit from our parents' tree, she was outta bed and fit as a fiddle! It was a bonafide miracle!"

She turned to Spike. "So ya see that's what Tirek is really after. He believes that tree holds the secret to eternal life. When my parents died, they divided their fortune and land into thirds between me, my brother and sister. My sis and I get control of our inheritance once we're of age, or married, whichever comes first."

"And let me guess," Spike said. "Your third of the land is where the tree is."

She shook her head. "That tree belongs to the Apples and the Pears. Neither of us can really own it, or control its magic. In fact, we're still not even sure how it works. But Tirek thinks that by marryin' me to you…"

"Your inheritance becomes mine," Spike finished for her. "But since Tirek is my guardian, he'll have control of my inheritance until I become of age."

"At least a third of Sweet Apple Acres will be his." She stopped in her tracks. "Unless…he plans to gain control of all the land if he…"

He already knew what she was going to say. "We'll get you back home. We can warn your siblings before Tirek tries anything with them."

She sighed. "I hope you're right."

As they continued to walk, Spike bit his lip nervously. "So, uh…when you were captured, you really must not have wanted to marry me, huh?"

She glanced sideways at him. "Don't take it personally. It was all arranged against my will. Not to mention I was already engaged to some pony else."

He halted. "E-Engaged?"

"To Sir Trenderhoof. I would've been married to him two days ago had Tirek not caught me."

His heart sank upon hearing this information. Despite his sadness, he continued to follow her.

"Well," he said quietly. "Sir Trenderhoof is…very lucky to have you."

She stopped and turned to him. "Ya think so?"

"Yeah. I mean…who wouldn't wanna marry you?"

Apple Jewel's heart fluttered hopefully at what this could mean. However, she tried her best to contain her excitement as she placed a hoof on her hip.

"And exactly what would make someone wanna marry me?" she said, smirking slightly.

"I mean you…that is, you…" Twiddling his fingers, Spike stared down at his feet. "These past few days, we've gone from enemies, to friends, to enemies, to friends again. You've saved my life on countless occasions, shown me how…how brave and smart and caring you are. Applejack…do you mind if I still call you that?"

She chuckled. "Go on. It's kinda grown on me. I never really liked the name Apple Jewel anyway."

"Right. Anyway, Applejack, you've proven to be the best mare…the best pony I've ever met. Even before I…before I knew that…"

She stooped down to his eyelevel, still grinning brightly. "What are ya tryin' to say, Spike?"

He gulped. "I'm saying that…now that I know what you really are…"

"Yes?"

"And…I know we've only known each other for a short while, and I don't want you thinking I'm being too forward with this!"

She leaned closer. "Yes?"

He winced. "All I'm saying is…you're an incredible person, Applejack, and…I think…if ever I was to…to marry, it would be to," his eyes slowly rose to meet hers, "you."

They stared at each other for a long while as tears began forming in Applejack's eyes.

"Oh, Spike," she said through her elated sobs. "I would too!"

He blinked. "You…you would?"

"Yes!" She threw her hooves around him. "Yes, I would marry you!"

"Really?" He wasn't sure whether to be happy or befuddled. "But…what about that Trenderhoof guy?"

She shook her head. "I never loved him, Spike. It was arranged by my brother. I was only runnin' back to him out of hatred for Tirek." She pulled away to look at him. "That was before I met you. Spike, you are the bravest, noblest, sweetest boy…male, I've ever met."

He smiled enormously. "I am?"

She snorted. "Of course, you're still a bit of an idiot, but I love ya all the same!"

Both of them froze the moment she uttered the "l" word. Applejack put her hoof to her mouth. Then Spike grinned again.

"I love you too, Applejack."

Crying out in happiness, Applejack hugged him again and Spike hugged her back. They held each other close, relishing in the feel of each other's warmth.

"If we ever make it out of here alive, Applejack," Spike whispered, no longer able to hold back the tears, "I'll marry you."

She sniffed joyfully. "Then here's hopin' we make it outta this alive, cuz the answer is yes."

A slipping noise startled them, reminding them of their situation. Looking down the dark passage, they saw nothing, but that didn't mean they weren't in danger. Applejack quickly blew out the candle and pulled Spike to the wall, pressing them both against it.

They stood very still, trying hard not to breathe too loudly. They listened as hoofsteps came. They were the same uneven hoofsteps Spike had heard earlier. With every passing second, they grew louder, closer.

Then they stopped. Spike gripped Applejack's hoof, both of them holding their breath.

"BOO!"

Screaming, Spike leapt into Applejack's hooves. There was a hearty laugh.

"Oh, ho, ho, ho!" Discord said, snapping his fingers to light a torch hovering beside him. "So sorry! Couldn't resist!"

Scowling, Spike jumped onto his feet and whipped out his bow. "It was you!"

Applejack drew her mace while Spike nocked an arrow.

"Tirek sent you to kill me!" the dragon shouted.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Discord said, taking a step back. "Relax!" He stroked his beard, as if contemplating something. "Maybe I was sent to kill you. And maybe I should let Lord Tirek know of your whereabouts."

Spike pulled back his bowstring while Applejack raised her mace.

"Which means," Discord said, turning his back to them, "you two lovebirds best not be here when I get back."

The lovers exchanged a confused look.

"I'm…sorry?" Applejack said.

"You heard me," Discord said, crossing his arms. "Tirek really can't say I disobeyed his orders if you gave me the slip."

Applejack and Spike lowered their weapons.

"Huh?" the latter said.

Rolling his eyes, Discord shouted, "Ugh, can't you turtle doves take a hint? Go, already!"

They didn't have to be asked twice. Out of the corner of his eye, Discord saw Spike's claw take Applejack's hoof as they ran swiftly down the tunnel.

He looked down at his own claw, remembering the first time it had held another mare's hoof in the same way.

As they turned a corner, immersing themselves in complete darkness, Applejack glanced back.

"Ya sure we can trust him not to follow us?" she asked her dragon.

"At this point, what have we got to lose?" he replied.

Upon hearing footsteps above them, Applejack quickly shushed him. They listened to the muffled voices.

The only words they could make out were from someone shouting, "We're under attack!"

"Another stroke of luck," Spike whispered. "Now the guards have the attackers to distract them, allowing us to escape."

"Assumin' we ever find the exit," Applejack said, feeling the stone wall. "How much further?"

"Hang on. I think I see light up ahead. Right there, around that corner!"

They raced to the faint blue glow up ahead. When they turned the corner, they quickly stopped in their tracks. There, standing in a doorway to a dimly lit hall, was a Diamond Dog guard, and he was looking in their direction.

As they prepared their weapons, they noticed something off about the guard. Instead of attacking right away, he ran his paw over his helmet and then placed his other on his hip as he thrust that hip to the side. Then he ran both his paws over his hips and wore an expression of discomfort.

"What the hay's he doin'?" Applejack whispered.

"Rags!" a gruff voice called. "Quit admiring yourself and get your butt upstairs! We're under attack!"

The guard jumped and ran off. Confused, Applejack and Spike carefully approached the doorway. Reaching out slowly, Spike's claw made contact with what appeared to be glass.

"This must be one of those trick mirrors," he said. "On one side, it acts as glass you can see through, but on the other, it acts as a mirror. That guard was looking at his reflection, not us."

"Then this must be the way out," Applejack said, touching the glass.

Having the same idea, they pushed forward. The glass opened up like a door. Sticking his head out, Spike glanced up and down the hallway. He recognized it as the West Corridor on the second floor. Seeing that the coast was clear, he gestured for Applejack to come out.

"Now what?" Applejack whispered, closing the mirror. "We can't just take the stairs and walk out the front door."

"We won't need a door," Spike said, eying a window.

She followed his eyes. "Oh no. Didn't ya here? The castle is under attack! Even if the dogs don't spot us, who's to say the attackers won't, hmm? And how do we know they'll be on our side?"

"You got a better idea?"

She tried to think of an argument as he hopped onto the ledge of the window and looked down.

"See? The moat's right below us. We'll have to jump for it."

She shook her head. "You can't swim. It'll be like the river all over again."

"No, it won't." He met her eyes. "Because this time, I know you'll be there to make sure I won't drown."

She beamed at him. A series of battle cries from outside made them jump.

"It's our only chance!" Spike exclaimed, outstretching his claw. "Let's go!"

Taking his claw, Applejack climbed onto the window ledge with him. But as she attempted to lean forward to look downwards, something knocked her back.

"Ow!" she cried out, rubbing her forehead. "What the…?"

She reached out her hoof and touched something solid, like a wall. The outside view of the forest rippled before her eyes.

"What?" Spike said. He reached out his claw, but it touched nothing. "I don't understand."

Groaning, Applejack smacked herself in the forehead. "Discord's spell! I completely forgot! When Tirek asked him to make sure I didn't escape again, Discord must've put a force field around the castle to prevent me from leavin'!" She huffed. "No wonder he let us go so easily."

Spike leaned his head out further, far past where Applejack had gone. "Strange. It doesn't seem to work on me."

"Yeah, looks like…" Her eyes moved slowly towards him. "Spike, I can't get outta here, but you can."

He turned to her. "W-What are you saying?"

Climbing back down to the floor, Applejack said, "Ya need to get to Applewood, find my brother, Sir Big Macintosh."

His eyes widened as he caught her implication. "Applejack, you can't…"

"Tell him I'm Tirek's prisoner. My brother has a lotta friends. He'll find a way to save me."

"No, Applejack," Spike said, shaking his head. "I can't leave you here. Not with him."

"Spike," Applejack said, grabbing his shoulders, "we can't fight Tirek on our own, and only one of us can escape tonight and get help. Besides, if ya stay here, Tirek'll kill ya."

"And what about you?" His eyes filled with worry. "Tirek won't be happy that you tried to escape again."

She shook her head. "I'm too valuable to him. He won't kill me."

He placed his claw over his hoof. "That's not what I'm worried about."

"I'll be fine, Spike. I can handle myself. But right now, you're the only chance either of us got."

Glancing down at the moat, he said, "But I can't swim!"

"Kick yerr legs, push yerr arms against the water, keep yerr head above the surface it's not that hard!" Taking a deep breath, she tried calming herself. "There's no current like in the river. You'll make it."

"Even if I do manage to find your brother, who's to say he'll believe me? I mean I am Lord Tirek's ward. He could think I'm leading him into a trap!"

"Then give him this." Removing the apple-shaped locket containing her parents' portraits, she placed it around his neck. "Then he'll know I sent you."

Touching the locket, he said, "He might think I stole it from you!"

She sighed. "Then tell him this." She whispered in his ear, making his nose scrunch in confusion. "Trust me. He'll know what it means. He'll believe ya."

Still, Spike shook his head. "No. No, no, no. I swore I'd serve and protect you."
"This is the only way you can protect me, Spike!" Applejack said, tightening her grip on his shoulders. "If ya stay here, you'll die, and then I'll have no way of escapin' at all…"

"No!" he shouted. "I can't leave you!"

"Spike, this is no time for your silly Dragon Code…"

"This isn't about the Dragon Code or you saving my life anymore, AJ! I can't leave you here not knowing what's going to happen to you!" He touched her face. "I love you!"

Touched by his declaration, Applejack firmly pressed her lips against his. Shocked at first, Spike kept his eyes open for a moment. Then, as he relaxed into the kiss, they slowly closed.

He recalled the first moment their lips had touched, but this was completely different. Back then, she had just been trying to save his life. This lip-lock was passionate, personal. With one small touch, all the emotions that had been welling up inside them both these past few days were released.

He wanted this kiss to last forever, but sadly, Applejack pulled her lips away.

"I love ya too, Spike."

Then she embraced him, placing her head on his shoulder. She clung to him tightly, which made Spike feel assured, but also concerned, for there was something off about this hug.

Then she whispered in his ear, "That's how I know you'll come and find me."

In a split-second, he realized too late what this was.

A hug and kiss goodbye.

Her hooves were pushing on his chest before he could respond. Spike let out a cry as he fell backward out of the window and plummeted towards the moat.

Up above, he could see the arrows flying back and forth between the castle and the forest, but could not see the shooters. He saw Applejack's face peek out of the window before he hit the water.

Spike instantly shut his mouth as he was suddenly encased in darkness. Trying to remember Applejack's advice, he began kicking his legs and moving his arms about. It seemed to move him a little, but he was still sinking fast.

Looking up at the blur of the moon in the sky, he concentrated on moving towards it. Just keep kicking up, he thought. Keep kicking up.

Then he felt something brush against his leg. Spinning around, he saw nothing. His head ached from lack of oxygen, and he still had a long way to go. Sweeping his arms up and to the side, he attempted to hoist himself upwards. He cheered internally, for the surface was getting closer.

Then something struck him from the side. This time, when he looked, there was a crocodile swimming away from him.

Of course, Spike thought with a mixture of annoyance and fear. Only Discord would fill a moat with crocodiles.

He squeaked inside his throat as the crocodile rounded back towards him. Panicked, Spike kicked his legs and swept his arms faster, but his lack of experience and air was making it difficult.

The crocodile's tail struck his stomach, sending him backwards and forcing his mouth open. Spike quickly closed it, but not before taking in a huge gulp of water. His chest was burning and his vision was becoming blurry. The crocodile was coming for him again, his jaws wide open.

No, no, no, Spike thought. I can't die like this, not while AJ is still in trouble. She needs me.

Suddenly, there was a flood of golden light. The crocodile recoiled in fear and swam away. Spike then felt himself rising towards the surface. The faded moon looked so close.

But his mouth couldn't hold the air in any longer. It opened up and water came flooding down his throat. Spike could hear his slow heart beat as everything went black.

The last thing he remembered was the feel of hooves wrapping around his middle.

Author's Note:

One thing I felt Robert Louis Stevenson could've improved on in his story is the motives behind the characters. For example, when Hatch (Discord) found the lovers in the tunnel and then let them go, there was no given reason for this act of mercy (at least that I saw). And Richard's (Spike's) reason for leaving Joanna (Applejack) behind was because she had fainted and he couldn't carry her. Honestly, could you imagine Applejack fainting at the very moment of escape for no good reason other than plot convenience? And I could not imagine Spike simply leaving her like that, unconscious or not. So I did something that might be more in character for both of them.