• Published 4th Jul 2017
  • 2,520 Views, 137 Comments

The Lavender Arrow - DisneyFanatic23



Based on Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Black Arrow." During a civil war in medieval Equestria, Spike doesn't know who he can trust when outlaws accuse his guardian Tirek of being responsible for his father's death.

  • ...
5
 137
 2,520

Ghastly Gorge

"Ya sure we're goin' the right direction?" Applejack asked.

"Yup," Spike said, the map in front of his face. "We're going right where the map says we're going."

She frowned. "Let me see that for a sec."

He tugged the map away from her. "I know where I'm going!"

"Spike."

"If there's one thing us dragons are equipped with, it's a flawless sense of direction."

"Spike!"

"And I can assure you, we're going exactly where we should be…"

He screamed as his foot fell beneath him. Applejack reached out, caught him and pulled him back onto the ledge.

"Can't ya watch where you're goin' for two seconds?!" she exclaimed. "Ya almost fell into that…gorge."

She paused as she looked out at the vast rocky chasm they had come to. It was at least a thirty-foot-drop and it stretched on for miles. She gave the dragon an angry look.

"Spike," she said slowly, "where did ya lead us?"

He bit his lip. "Ghastly Gorge?"

Gripping the front of his shirt, she pulled him to her face. "You lied to me!"

"I didn't lie!" Spike said, holding up his claws. "I'm still taking you to Applewood! We're just taking a little shortcut."

She scowled. "Don't think I don't know what you're tryin' to do! You're gonna try and warn Lord Tirek's army about the ambush!"

"Well, what do you expect me to do? They could die!"

"Spike, my feelings for Lord Tirek aside, this idea of yours is just plain stupid! See, if you—OW!" She drew back her hoof, releasing him. "Did you just bite me?!"

"Dragon's gotta do what a dragon's gotta do!" Spike said as he raced to the edge of the gorge.

Before Applejack knew it, he was climbing down the rocky wall. Groaning, she went to climb down after him.

And here I thought he was helpin' me, she thought, but here I am doin' all the work!

"Spike, do ya have any idea how long it's gonna take to climb down here?" she asked, retracting her back hoof as a rock gave out from beneath it.

"As long as we're down in time to warn Uncle Scorpan," Spike said as he reached out for a ledge.

He yelped as his other claw slipped. He would've plummeted to his doom had he not managed to grab hold of Applejack's long tail. She gritted her teeth together at the sudden yank.

"Swing me over to that ledge!" Spike said, pointing. "It's big enough for the both of us!"

Sighing, she swung her tail, bringing him close enough to the ledge to grab it. As he hoisted himself up, Applejack carefully made her way over.

"There are a number of ways this can go wrong," she said, placing one back hoof on the ledge.

Spike sat down to catch his breath. "You're just scared that we're gonna fail."

As she set the rest of her hooves down, she shook her head. "I'm just sensible enough to know that we are gonna fail."

He shrugged. "As Uncle Scorpan once told me, it's better to die trying to do the right thing than to never try at all."

She blinked. "That's…actually good advice." She shook her head again. "But that's not the point. The thing is that we are…"

The sound of hundreds of hooves caused her to trail off. The two of them gazed down to see an army of stallions marching through the gorge, all clad in armor, carrying various weapons and flags bearing the image of a mare in the moon, the Lunarian symbol. At the head of the army was Sir Scorpan. Having never seen Lord Tirek's brother before, Applejack cocked her head curiously.

"How the hay is that gargoyle related to that centaur?" she wondered aloud. "They look nothing alike!"

"That's Uncle Scorpan!" Spike exclaimed. He took a deep breath and prepared to shout. "H—"

Applejack's hoof was shoved into his mouth as she pulled him behind a large boulder that was conveniently sitting on the ledge. He was about to bite down on her hoof again when she pointed across the gorge.

On one of the other ledges, there was a flash of lavender behind a shrub. Spike and Applejack looked all around and saw other small specks of color hidden in shrubs and behind large rocks. The army below didn't seem to notice.

"They have the place surrounded," Applejack whispered. "If we try and warn yerr uncle, we'll give our position away to the outlaws. That's what I've been tryin' to tell ya! Look at where ya've got us!" She gestured upwards. "It'll be impossible for us to make a quick getaway! Unless ya want both of us skewered by them arrows, we gotta keep quiet!"

Suddenly, she felt something long and wet run along her hoof. Squeaking, she removed it from Spike's mouth and attempted to shake off the slobber.

"Now you're just bein' gosh darn childish!" she hissed.

"You're the one who's childish!" Spike said. "To be hiding here like a little filly!"

Growling, she said, "A little filly who has more common sense than a little boy who thinks he's all grown up when he isn't! Or did ya forget that I'm older than ya?"

"Stop treating me like I'm a baby! I get enough of that at home!"

"Maybe if ya stopped actin' like one…"

"So you want me to just sit here and do nothing like some coward?"

"At least ya'd be a live coward!"

He stood up. "How dare you call me a…?"

There was a scream from down below. Forgetting their argument, Spike and Applejack peered out from their hiding place. An arrow had shot one of the soldiers down below, right in the shoulder. As the rest of the army looked up, a sea of arrows came raining down on them. The outlaws were shooting from above. Some of the archers from Lord Tirek's army attempted to fire back, but the outlaws were protected by their rocks.

Pegasi, and Gilda the griffon, swooped down on the army, dropping boulders onto them. Soldiers were crushed and pierced.

"Retreat!" Scorpan shouted.

But it was too late. Most of his army had fallen, and were lying either dead or dying on the ground. Scorpan looked down at the soldier who had been shot first.

It was Mr. Cake, the baker. The arrow had gone straight through his shoulder, and he was writhing in pain. With heavy eyelids, he gazed up at the gargoyle.

"T-Tell," he said in a raspy voice, "my wife and…k-kids that I…l-love them."

Shocked at this, Scorpan stared at the baker as his eyes closed. Determined, Scorpan scooped up Mr. Cake and threw him over his shoulder.

"You can tell them yourself," he said, and started carrying the baker through the next attack wave.

Up above, Twilight Sparkle was concealed inside a shrub. Although her hood was over her eyes, she could see the battlefield perfectly. Her lavender arrow was aimed at Sir Scorpan's back. Thinking about how he had betrayed her, she magically pulled back the bowstring.

Then she saw him pick up the baker, along with some other soldiers who were wounded. Stunned at this action, Twilight hesitated.

Applejack had also been watching the gargoyle in stunned silence.

Spike, meanwhile, had spotted the lavender hood of Twilight's cloak poking out of the bush across the way. Narrowing his eyes in determination, he unslung his bow and reached back towards his quiver.

When Applejack turned to him, he had already nocked an arrow.

"Spike, don't!" she shouted.

She tackled him hard, causing him to release the bowstring. The arrow flew across the chasm, but missed Twilight's hooded head by a few inches. It bounced off the rocky wall. Twilight's head turned in the direction of the onlookers, but hers wasn't the only one.

"There!" some pony cried.

Applejack and Spike jumped as arrows began flying towards them.

"We gotta get outta here!" Applejack exclaimed.

"But Uncle Scorpan could be killed!" Spike said.

Grabbing his tail in her mouth, she hoisted him onto her back. "If we stick around any longer, we'll be killed!"

She leaped up onto the rocks and started climbing. Her head and hooves twisted as arrows struck all around them. Spike was unable to fire in return, as he had to keep his arms around his companion's neck. They were nearing the top when one arrow slashed through Applejack's left foreleg.

"Ow!"

"Don't shoot!" a voice cried.

It was Twilight. Rainbow Dash flew over to her.

"What gives, Twilight?" she asked.

"That's Spike," she whispered.

Rainbow's eyes widened. She turned to address the other outlaws. "The intruders are not to be harmed!"

Applejack heard this last order as she got her grip on the final ledge and pulled herself up. Wincing slightly at the pain in her leg, she dashed towards the woods. They were prevented by Gilda the griffon as she dropped from above and aimed her bow at them.

"Stay where you are!" she commanded.

Scowling, Spike leaped off of Applejack's back and towards the griffon, surprising her and his companion. With a mighty yowl, he bared his claws and tackled Gilda to the ground. She cried out as he began clawing at her face.

"Spike, wait!" Applejack shouted, rushing forward. "She doesn't wanna hurt us!"

But the dragon didn't listen as he took in a deep breath. The mare's eyes widened when she realized he was about to breathe fire.

"Spike, no!"

He choked as she grabbed him and carried him into the forest. He writhed and protested in her grasp, but she ignored him. Finally, when they were far from the gorge, he bit down on her hoof, forcing her to drop him.

"What is wrong with you?!" she yelled, cradling her hoof.

"What's wrong with you?!" Spike shouted as he stood. "Those soldiers were under attack, and you chose to run away like a coward!"

She huffed in disbelief. "Call me a coward, will ya? That there griffon would've just let us go peacefully if ya hadn't charged at her with yerr claws! Ya could've killed her with your fire breath and she would've been helpless to stop ya!"

Putting his claws on his hips, he said, "At least she would've died an honorable death in battle, as every soldier should! When someone attacks you, you fight back! That's the knightly way! That's the noble way!"

She shook her head. "All this talk of knightliness and honor and nobility, yet ya would defend the ones who had murdered your father!"

He slapped himself in the forehead. "Not this again!"

"Well, excuse me, but if I ever discovered who had set fire to my house and caused my parents' death, I wouldn't rest until that person was brought to justice!"

"And you forget that these people you think killed my father are also the people who raised me, who played with me, who've made me who I am today!"

"Yeah," she said with a snort. "They've turned ya into a blind, ragin' ninny." She crossed her hooves. "And I bet if your dad were around today, he'd be ashamed to see what you've become."

His eyes widened, then narrowed into a scowl. "How dare you?" He poked her in the chest. "You can insult me all you want, but don't you ever, ever, insult my father!"

"Ya already have!" she shouted, giving him a shove. "By refusin' to avenge him!"

"I would've if you had let me shoot that conniving scoundrel Twilight Sparkle!"

She groaned in fury. "Fine! Believe what ya will about Lord Tirek murderin' your father! Whether or not it's true," she said, pointing to herself, "don't forget that Tirek's still the one who kidnapped me and held me against my will!"

"And how do I even know that's true?!"

Taking a step back, her jaw dropped in appalment. "You callin' me," she said, glaring, "a liar?"

"Well," Spike said, crossing his arms, "how much do I really know about you? I only just met you yesterday! For all I know, Discord could've been right about you being a criminal! You could've stolen something from Uncle Tirek, or done something even worse! Whatever the case, you probably deserve whatever punishment Uncle Tirek has in store for you! Heck, that story about your parents might not even be true!"

Her hoof went to her locket. His words cut through her like a knife, but she did not let her pain show. Her face grew red as her blood boiled in anger.

"I may not have been honest with ya about a few things, Spike," Applejack said, her voice becoming dangerously low, "but never about this. But, if ya really want me to be completely honest with ya, let's start with this." She stepped forward. "You are, by far, the most ignorant, arrogant, selfish, reckless, downright pigheaded person I've ever had the displeasure of meetin'! And I'm sorry I ever asked for yerr help!"

"Well," he said, stomping his foot, "if you despise my company so much, why don't you just go your own way then?!"

"Okay, I will!" she shouted in his face.

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

They glared at each other for a long while before spinning on their heels and walking in opposite directions. They had only taken a few steps before Spike turned back around.

"Midnight Castle is the other way!"

Applejack turned around too. "Then Applewood must be this way!"

"Right!"

"Right!"

Still fuming, they passed each other. A few seconds later, they stomped back towards each other.

"You still have my bag!" Spike shouted, holding out his claw.

"Take it!" Applejack yelled, dropping the knapsack to the ground. "I don't want anything of yours, anyway!"

"Good!" he said, not taking his glare off her as he stooped down to pick up his bag.

"Good!"

They continued on their separate ways. Then Applejack paused for a moment and turned back to him.

"If you're not gonna take me to Applewood," she shouted, "you could at least do me the courtesy of tellin' me the rest of the way!"

"Here!" Crumpling up the map, he tossed it over his shoulder. "Find your own way!"

"Thank you!" she grunted as she picked up the paper ball.

"You're welcome!" he yelled, not looking at her.

As she opened up the map, she kept walking. Then she glanced back at Spike's retreating figure.

"Ya…sure ya won't need it?" she said, her voice softening a bit.

"I'm sure!" he shouted.

She looked nervously at the map. "Midnight Castle's…a lot further from here."

"I'll be fine!" He held up his bow. "I'm armed!"

Gulping, she tried to ignore him. But as she stepped down on her left foreleg, a shooting pain went up it.

"Ow!" she exclaimed, wincing.

Spike stopped and glanced over his shoulder. He saw that she was rubbing her left foreleg along her back one. Upon squinting, he noticed a small trickle of red.

"Are…you okay?" he called to her.

"I'm fine!" she said, her tone sounding forced..

He bit his lip. "You…sure about that?"

"Sure as I'll ever be!" She darted her eyes at him. "I'll be even surer once I'm as far away from ya as possible!"

He scowled. "I…guess I'll just get out of your mane then!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

But as they attempted to get away from each other, their paces became slower with each step. They kept glancing back at each other, and would quickly look away upon making eye contact. Spike tried to keep his eyes on the path ahead while Applejack had her gaze locked on the map. However, despite being out of each other's sights, they were not out of each other's minds.

He's hurt, Spike thought. He'll never make it back with that leg.

He's even further away from home than I am, Applejack thought. He'll never make it back without a map.

Those outlaws are everywhere. He'll never be able to defend himself with that measly little knife.

This forest is dangerous. He'll never be able to defend himself if he can't shoot straight.

He's helpless without me.

He's lost without me.

At the exact same moment, they stopped, unsure of whether or not to press on. Ultimately, it was Spike who decided to run back to Applejack.

"I made you a promise to take you to Applewood," he said, panting, "and I'm going to keep it!"

Applejack tried her best to hide her smile as she faced him. "Sure you're not just doin' it for the knighthood?"

"N-No," he said, circling his foot in the dirt. "I just figured that…since I've taken you this far, it only seems fit that I should take you the rest of the way. And," he said with a slight blush, "you have saved my life on more than one occasion…including just now." He puffed up his chest. "And my Dragon Code dictates that I must repay the favor!"

She could not control her smile anymore. "Maybe ya are a noble dragon after all."

They stood there for the longest while, grinning at each other, both blushing. Spike then frowned when he remembered her leg.

"Did one of those arrows hit you?" he asked.

Glancing down at her injured foreleg, she quickly hid it behind the other. "Just a scratch."

He shook his head. "Don't try to act tough. That's my job." He held out his claw. "Let me see."

Hesitantly, she placed her hoof in his claw. He rolled up her sleeve, making her blush even harder, as he examined the slash across her leg.

"Luckily," he said, "the arrow didn't strike deep enough to hit any bone. We should still bandage it up before it gets any worse."

"There's no need for that," she said, attempting to retract her hoof.

But he held on tight. "Do you trust me?"

She didn't know whether it was the sincere tone of his words, or the soft gaze he was giving her, or the strong but careful way he was clutching her hoof. Either way, despite everything that had occurred between them, only one answer was clear.

"Yes."

Author's Note:

In case you hadn't seen my note on my Power Ponies fic, I've recently started a new full-time job at a nursery school, which has taken up most of my time. Hence, updates on all creative projects will be less frequent, but I will try my best to work on all of them at my own pace.
This was one of my favorite scenes in the book. Not the ambush, but the moment where Richard and Joanna attempt to go their separate ways but find excuses to keep coming back to each other. It was just so cute and showed how despite all their arguing, they couldn't stay away from each other!