• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 3,850 Views, 83 Comments

New World, Old Fight - SGTBRONY



A Navy SEAL survives the unthinkable, how will he cope with the fallout?

  • ...
4
 83
 3,850

Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Prairie Fire


Twilight backed away from me, her gaze on the still gurgling, twitching animal behind me, as I tried to find the words to explain what I’d just done. I was at a loss.

I began as gently as I could “Twi?, hey sweetheart are you ok? Are you hurt?”

Twilight's breathing was rapidly accelerating towards hyperventilation, her pupils were dilated, shock was etched on her features, plain as day. I reached for her, trying desperately to bring some comfort, hoping madly that my presence would erase what she‘d just had to witness.

My fingers brushed her coat and the lights came back on.

“Twi-”

With an earsplitting crack and a brilliant flash, I was thrown across the alley into the wall. My head colliding with the bricks, spots exploded across my vision combined with blinding pain, everything tunneled as I struggled to remain conscious.

As the nausea started to overcome me, I realized Twilight was nowhere to be seen. I staggered out of the alley drawing gasps of horror from the ponies who had gathered. I had to find her, the truth had to come out.

Even if she never wanted to see me again.

A small part of my mind kept reminding me that I’d never get to tell her how I felt. It filled me with an emptiness I hadn’t felt in months, I felt cold. It was the same feeling I had right before I sent a round downrange, except this time it was despair, not ruthlessness.

It felt empty and wrong on a level I wasn’t used to. I was rapidly coming to the conclusion that taking a life was the only thing I was good for, and for a long time I relished it. To a degree I still did, I would fight and die to protect these ponies or any innocent for that matter, but faced point blank with the effects of my murderous skills on someone who wasn’t accustomed to it… I felt sick to my stomach. I could still see the fear in Twilight’s eyes, fear of me.

I finally reached the door to the library, I could hear Twilight sobbing upstairs, I took a chance and knocked.

“Spike?!, it’s Mike bro, can you open up?”

I heard rapid footsteps and the door flew open, I’d expected anger from the little guy, I was not, however prepared for the shattered look on his face.

“Mike… you look awful, what the hay happened? Twilight barricaded herself upstairs, she won’t tell me what’s wrong” as he spoke I could see the tears of frustration and worry welling up in his eyes.

I knelt down so I could look him in the eye, “I’m what’s wrong Spike, now grab a quill and take a letter, can you do that for me?”

Spike nodded, grabbed a quill off the desk behind him and stood at the ready.

“Celestia, your presence is required immediately in Ponyville. We’ve had an incident. Mike”

I looked at Spike, “ You got that little guy?”

“Got it Mike”

“Alright buddy, send it”

Spike drew in a deep breath and in a rush of green fire the parchment burned away, I hoped Celestia would step it up, these ponies knew nothing of killing or cruelty and Twilight had just gotten a crash course.

I’d brought a small taste of it here, all the screaming nightmares, blood and last gasps for air, cries for a god that wouldn’t save you, or a mother that couldn’t offer you any comfort, the smell of gunpowder and the tears you shed for brothers lost. They were lucky to not know the pain of holding the hand of a man whose back you’ve watched for a solid year as he bleeds out into the dirt, and there isn’t a goddamn thing you can do to save him, knowing his little girl will grow up fatherless and his wife will always wonder if it was quick and painless.

I was jarred out of my thoughts by a sharp crack as the empty space in front of me was filled with 5 and a half feet of Alicorn.

I bowed “Princess”

She inclined her head towards me and I straightened up, meeting her gaze.

“Michael, what happened?”

I recounted the events from when I’d left the library to when the letter had been sent, Celestia’s mouth was set into a grim line as she listened silently, finally she spoke.

“And Twilight Sparkle witnessed this first hoof?”

“Yes. I... I just reacted, training kicked in and that was it, I'm sorry Princess."

“I understand Michael, but the damage is already done, we must try to pick up the pieces”

I nodded, old habits arose as I delivered my assessment of the situation “Twilight locked herself in her room and sealed the door magically, Spike has been trying to get her to talk to him for awhile now to no avail”

“No matter, I will go and speak with her, we will fix this together” she finished with a half smile wrapping her wing around my shoulders.

“I don’t know Princess, she’s in shock and rightfully so”

She released me and headed for the stairs, as I started to follow but she stopped me with an outstretched hoof.

“I think for the moment, I should speak to Twilight alone”

I was going to protest…after a moments thought I acquiesced with a sigh.

“Very well Princess”

I’m a frogman, we don’t hide from shit, we meet it head on, being ordered to hang back was infuriating to say the least. After about 45 minutes of the unknown the door to Twilights room creaked open and I heard hoof falls on the stairs, I heard Celestia’s voice whispering from the landing.

“Michael?, you can come up now”

Spike gave me a worried look

“Good luck Mike”

“Thanks buddy”

I took a deep breath and made my way up the stairs.