• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 3,842 Views, 83 Comments

New World, Old Fight - SGTBRONY



A Navy SEAL survives the unthinkable, how will he cope with the fallout?

  • ...
4
 83
 3,842

Chapter 9

Better and better.



I awoke…softly, just a brief moment’s transition that made all the difference in the world, hell, I hadn’t woken up that easy in years. I tried to move and discovered that I was held fast by a gently snoring purple unicorn, Twilight looked angelic despite her bed head, and the way one of her eyes is half open…. she’s drooling a bit… That’s just damn adorable in any man’s military.

Last night hadn’t gotten quite as interesting as I would’ve liked, we kissed for what seemed like hours before Twilight said she had some “Research” to do on the subject before we got any more “familiar“, I’m not sure if I’m to be turned on or terrified…

I couldn’t bear to wake her. But as I shifted I felt her tense then relax, her eyes fluttered open, brilliant violet pools that held all the wonders of the universe and the answers to life’s questions rolled into one. I wanted to tell her that right in that moment she and everything she was represented my salvation, that I stood in awe of her kindness, beauty, intelligence and grace, being a guy got in my way so I said…

“Mornin”.

She stretched and smiled down at me managing to be cute AND sexy at the same time, (no mean feat if I do say so) “Good morning Mike” and then I watched her remember the previous nights events, her eyes went wide(er) and she bounced out of the bed and around the room.

“yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes”

“Um Twi?-”

“YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES”

She was on a roll so I just let it ride, truthfully I’d never had anybody react to me quite like she did, not even Jess had lost her mind like this, I imagine living in the world we did will erase the wonder and leave everyone jaded. Twilight’s pure unbridled (no pun intended) innocence and joy was infectious, hopping off the bed, I scooped her up in my arms and planted a kiss on her nose.

“I love you Twilight”

“ I love you Mike, Celestia’s sun above you have no idea how long I’ve been wanting to say that to you”

I was about to reply when yesterdays events came flooding back, oh holy shit, what about the Diamond Dog I’d killed?, it was right about then I spied a note bearing the Royal seal resting on the windowsill. I snatched the note up and all but tore it open, my eyes flying over the ornate, flowing script.

Michael-

I will try to convey what went unsaid last night as concisely as I am able. I am, if I may be so bold, exceedingly impressed with you yet again. You demonstrated great poise befitting your prior occupation in dealing with a threat to an innocent and also a great deal of kindness in handling the aftermath, as such any lingering questions as to your character have been utterly erased in my eyes. I will admit I was a bit taken aback, albeit pleasantly by the feelings that blossomed or revealed as it were between Twilight Sparkle and yourself due to this terrible turn of events. Taking a life is never a pleasure Michael, but as you and I both know intimately, sometimes it is wholly necessary in order to safeguard all that is good and right with our world. I have interceded on your behalf with the Ponyville Royal Guard detachment, do not fear any reprisal for defending my student, for that you will have my everlasting gratitude and admiration.

The day may yet come when all of Equestria will need courage like yours.

Sincerely

Princess Celestia Everfree
Regent of the Sun
Co-ruler of the sovereign nation of Equestria

P.S

I will be keeping Spike here with me for the next day or so. I have found over my long life that new romance tends to flourish with less “Interruptions” as it were.


“Holy shit” I breathed

Twilight perked up “Mike?, what’s wrong?”

I handed Twi the note and sat down hard on the floor, I had been terrified at Celestia’s potential reaction to what had transpired, what that might have been I had no idea but I didn’t expect this by a country mile. I expected to never see the ponies I’d grown so accustomed to nor the one I’d grown to love ever again.

“This is good right?” Twilight asked, her violet coat a bit paler than usual.

“ I guess so, at least I wasn’t banished forever or something goofy like that” I said trying to make light of the very real fear I’d felt only moments ago as I climbed back into bed, “ I don’t know about you but I’m thinking 2 or 3 more hours of being exceedingly lazy sounds like a plan”

Twilight sighed happily then slipped back under the covers, leaving the letter on the nightstand and working her head under my arm to rest it on my chest.

“It only makes sense he he”

It wasn’t long before she began to drift, her half-closed eyes told the same story as every other poor soul who’d been awoken prematurely. I took to running my fingers through her beautiful mane, a thought crossed my mind that maybe she’d like a song, I never thought much of my voice but Jess had always liked it when I sang her to sleep.

I drew in a breath and started softly.

“ Natalie Wood gave her heart to James Dean

The high school rebel and the teenage queen

Standing together in an angry world

One boy fighting for one girl

I wanna be loved like that

A promise you can’t take back
If you’re gonna love me

I wanna be loved like that

Daddy never gave mama a diamond ring

But mama never wanted for anything

What he gave her it came from the heart

In a bond that was never torn apart

I wanna be loved like that

A promise you can’t take back

If you’re gonna love me

I wanna be loved like that

I paused for a second and glanced down, Twilight was awake and staring up at me.

“Please, Mike finish the song?”

I smiled “You got it sweetheart”


“An old man kneeling all alone

Plants his flowers in a garden of stone

For seven years now she’s been gone

And his devotions still going strong

I wanna be loved like that

I wanna be loved like that

A promise you can’t take back

If you’re gonna love me

I wanna be loved like that”

No sooner had I finished than I heard sniffling, I looked down to see tears flowing down Twilight‘s cheeks

“Twi? What’s the matter?” I asked, alarmed.

“T-that was a beautiful song Mike, is that how you feel about me?

I tried to chuckle, to do anything other than lay myself bare but fuck it.

“Absolutely, Twi when I look at you I see my future, a future without bloodshed or suffering, I see peace Twilight. Long overdue peace, I love you Twi.

Her eyes brimmed with tears threatening to fall, “I love you too Mike”

I closed the gap between us slowly and pressed my lips to hers, the kiss was heavenly and broken waaay too soon.

“How bout I go make us some breakfast little lady, and then back to bed?” I said, bouncing my eyebrows for emphasis.

Twi giggled, “Sounds perfect, but first….”

Then she threw a pillow at my head and bounded out the door and down the stairs.

Adorable.

Exactly five minutes later….

Kitchen + two inept cooks, carry the one, = pure horror .

Twi and I dashed out the front door of the now smoke filled library, sounding for all the world like two escapees from a TB ward. I leaned forward and spit into the dirt before shooting Twilight a sheepish look.

“I suppose eating out wouldn’t be a terrible idea”

She raised an eyebrow, “Ya think?”

After opening ALL the windows in the library and hanging an “out to lunch” sign, we tripped off to the café just up the street. Eager for some normalcy after the previous days.. complications.

Who the fuck was I kidding?