• ...
2
 133
 1,618

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #66: Left Out

The Prompt: Apple Bloom is an only child.

“Apple Bloom, I’m really sorry, but…”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it, Sweetie Belle,” Bloom said, looking down. “Tain’t yer fault or nothin’.”

“I know, but I’m still really sorry,” Sweetie said, feeling sheepish. “Rarity and I never…”

“Ya never miss the Sisterhooves Social,” Bloom said. “Ah know, Sweetie. Ah ain’t gunna be mad at ya over it.” Sweetie sighed. She could tell when her friend wasn’t being totally honest. She could also tell when it wasn’t a good idea to press the issue, though.

“…I’ll see you on Sunday then?” Sweetie asked. Bloom nodded. Sweetie offered a hug, which Bloom half-heartedly accepted. She released the hug and trotted off towards home, looking back momentarily before she vanished over the hill. Bloom kept up a smile until Sweetie couldn’t see her any longer, then let it fade and headed towards home.

———

“Bloom, honey? Can we come in?”

Bloom didn’t reply at first. She wasn’t really in the mood to talk to anypony, let alone her parents. After all, all of this was their fault. If they’d just had another daughter before they had her, she could have been going to the Sisterhooves Social too.

“C’mon Bloom, you awake?” her father’s voice called. Bloom sighed heavily, then answered.

“Yeh, Ah’m awake,” Bloom muttered.

“Can we come in?” her mother asked quietly.

“Fine,” Bloom said. She knew they probably wouldn’t stop until she said yes. The door creaked open, and her parents walked in. They sat on either side of her.

“What’s wrong, sugarcube?” Bloom’s mom asked. “Ya came home from school an’ jus’ came straight up here without even as much as sayin’ hello. That ain’t like ya.”

“Nothin’s wrong, ma,” Bloom lied, not looking up.

“Now now, that don’t sound like a ‘nothin’s wrong’ voice,” Bloom’s father said as he fiddled with her bow.

“S’jus’…” Bloom started. She interrupted her thought with a sigh.

“Jus’ what?” Bloom’s mom asked gently.

“…Ah wanted ta have a sleepover t’night,” Bloom said. “But nopony can come on account’f the Sisterhooves Social is t’morrow, an’ Sweetie Belle an’ Rarity’re in it, an’ when this happened las’ year Ah was able ta hang out with Scootaloo but then she was adopted by Rainbow Dash’s parents an’ now she an’ Rainbow’re goin’ t’morrow too, an’ they all gotta prepare b’forehand an’ wake up real early so they cain’t come over t’night, an’ it ain’t fair!” Bloom’s parents looked at each other, then back to Bloom.

“Well…what if ya have the sleepover t’morrow?” Bloom’s dad offered.

“It ain’t jus’ that though!” Bloom whined.

“Well then, what else is it?” Bloom’s mom asked. Bloom stared straight down at her mattress.

“Tain’t fair,” Bloom said. “Sweetie’s got an older sister, an’ now Scootaloo’s got an older sister, an’ Ah don’t got no older sister ta compete in the Sisterhooves Social with or nothin’ else!” Bloom’s parents looked at each other again.

“Well, sugarcube,” Bloom’s dad said. “We can do stuff with ya, ya know. An’ so can Granny Smith.”

“Tain’t the same,” Bloom said quietly. “They got big sisters an’ Ah don’t got any. They get ta have all the fun, an’ they’re all special cause they got older sisters ta do stuff with an’ Ah don’t.”

“Bloom, honey,” Bloom’s mom said, putting a foreleg around her. “That don’t mean they’re more special than you. Yer still real special, an’ ya don’t gotta have a big sister fer that.” Bloom’s father nodded, bringing a foreleg around her as well.

“But Ah want somepony ta hang out with when Sweetie an’ Scootaloo’re busy,” Bloom said. Bloom’s parents looked to each other again, and smiled.

“An’ it’s gotta be a big sister?” Bloom’s dad asked. Bloom nodded.

“Yer sure?” Bloom’s mom asked. Bloom nodded again.

“Ah guess we shouldn’t tell ya what we found out t’day, in that case,” Bloom’s dad said with a grin. Bloom looked up.

“What’re ya talkin’ ‘bout?” Bloom asked.

“Well,” Bloom’s mom said, taking Bloom’s hoof. “Mebbe ya cain’t have a big sister. That don’t mean ya cain’t have a sister at all though.” Bloom looked up to her mom, tilting her head. She glanced down at the hoof her mom was holding, as she placed it gently on her belly. Bloom blinked a few times before things started making sense.

“Yer…” Bloom said, her eyes getting big. Her mom and dad both nodded.

“Got a few months ta wait fer yer sister,” Bloom’s dad said. “Plenty’a time fer ya ta learn how ta be the big sister yer talkin’ ‘bout wantin’.” Bloom hugged her mom tightly, as her dad joined the embrace.

PreviousChapters Next