• ...
2
 133
 1,618

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #41: Sisterly Bonds

The Prompt: Celestia remembers.

Princess Celestia smiled lightly, looking at the pony sitting across from her. "You really want to hear that story again?" the sun princess asked, her multicolored mane flowing despite the lack of breeze in the room. The pony across from her nodded eagerly.

"Alright," Celestia said, getting comfortable. "If you insist. Once, years ago, there were two mares who were very close friends, and yet their rivalry was as strong as their friendship. Their names were Meadow Breeze and Mint Leaf, and the two of them lived with their younger sisters."

------

Meadow Breeze ran through the meadow, trying to gather up all of the flowers in the area before Mint Leaf could. It was imperative that she succeeded in this task; Mint would never let her live it down if she lost a single competition to her. That was the way she always was, but to be fair, Meadow was the same way. The two were fiercely competitive, and bragged about every single victory they held over each other.

"Hey Meadow!" Mint said, running up to her. "Fifty-five!"

"Fifty-five too!" Meadow responded. It was then that her little sister, Winter Breeze, galloped up to her side, holding a flower in her mouth.

"Hey Meadow!!" Winter said, bouncing excitedly. "I found this flower and-"

"Fifty-SIX!" Meadow boasted, lifting a confused Winter onto her back. Mint scowled.

"You can't count your little sister's flower!" Mint said, stomping a hoof. Suddenly, she was met by her own little sister, Tea Leaf.

"Minty!" Tea called. "Check out this flower I-"

"FIFTY-SIX TOO!" Mint shouted, hoisting Tea onto her own back.

"I thought little sisters didn't count in this?" Meadow said, sneering.

"They do now!" Mint shot back. Winter and Tea just looked at each other and shrugged. They were used to their sisters being like this by now.

"There's only one way to settle this!" Meadow said. "A two-on-two competition! Me and Winter versus you and Tea! Best sister team wins!" Winter tilted her head. She wasn't much for competition, especially not with her family or her close friends.

"It's on!!" Mint responded. "And we WILL win!" Tea looked down at her sister, wanting no part of this. But it was too late; the older sisters had made their minds up.

By the afternoon, the two older sisters had set up a big obstacle course. Mud puddles, barrels...even huge vats filled with grapes, meant for making grape juice. Every single thing that the two could think of to compete against each other with was included.

"First to the finish line after completing all the obstacles wins!" Meadow said, getting nose-to-nose with Mint.

"We'll see you at the finish line!" Mint responded, pushing against Meadow's face. The two stared each other down until their little sisters nudged them apart. After a countdown, the two older sisters bolted into action, pulling Winter and Tea along. Each one tried to finish the obstacles by themselves, but found that they were spending too much time concentrating on the other to be able to finish their tasks properly. It was only with the help of their little sisters that they were able to make it past each part of the course.

Midway through the course, Meadow and Mint had actually all but forgotten about trying to beat the other. By this time, they were having far too much fun just finishing their tasks with their sisters. Winter and Tea were very pleased with this change; they didn't get much sisterly time since Meadow and Mint were always too busy trying to beat each other at everything. As the two pairs of sisters reached the finish line, there was no ore vicious competition, no more desperately trying to prove dominance. It was replaced with happy laughing and wonderful sisterly bonding.

------

"The actual winner of the race was lost in time," Celestia said, grinning. "I was there to witness it...but I won't divulge that information, because it would ruin the spirit of the story. Ever since that day, the two pairs of sisters made sure to repeat this activity each year. It eventually attracted more and more pairs of sisters, and that is how the tradition of the Sisterhooves Social came to be." Luna beamed back at her older sister as she finished her story.

"That's so nice," Luna said. "I wish I could have been around to see it." Celestia nodded.

"No worries, little sister," Celestia said, as she got up and indicated for Luna to do the same. "We'll make up for it with a victory this year." Luna smiled at the other ponies waiting at the start line. Some seemed in awe of the two; others were just getting ready for the race.

"Let us do this, big sister," Luna said with a smile. The race started, and they were off.

------

"And that is the story of how Luna and I were banned from the Sisterhooves Social," Celestia said, smirking. Applejack tilted her head.

"Well...with all due respect, Princess," Applejack said, "Ya kinda shoulda expected it...Ah mean, you an' Luna kinda are real powerful an' such. S'a bit'f an unfair advantage." Celestia shrugged, a small smile crossing her face.

"But it was fun, yes?" Celestia asked. Applejack couldn't help but nod. It had been quite the interesting sight.

PreviousChapters Next