• ...
2
 133
 1,619

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #32: Stone Silence

The Prompt: “In a different reality, I could have called you friend.”

Princess Celestia glanced left and right as she made her weekly stroll throughout her garden. Normally, this stroll was simply a time for her to enjoy herself and take some time to herself. She was a Princess, and as such, she was often very busy. Time to unwind was an absolute necessity. Today's trip, however, was quite different.

Celestia stopped in front of the statue she'd come here specifically to see. There it stood, almost unnerving in its current state. The first time she'd turned him to stone, he'd at least been left in a nice, almost joyful pose. That was a benefit of the element of surprise; the victim never saw it coming. This time...the terror and dread on his face almost made her feel bad for him.

He wasn't so bad when he'd first arrived on the scene all those years ago. At first she'd even enjoyed his antics; as long as he wasn't causing direct harm to anypony, she didn't mind watching him play silly pranks and make it rain chocolate milk. It was good, mostly-harmless fun.

Something happened to him, though. Something even Celestia couldn't explain. Before long, silly antics weren't enough to satisfy him. His brand of chaos became more and more harmful and vicious. Gone was the silly Discord she'd known...well, not really GONE, per se. He was still just as silly as ever; the mean streak was new.

She had never thought she and Luna would have to save Equestria from him. He was the ever-present joker, the jocular little draconeequis who never seemed like he'd harm a fly. She supposed that it was power that corrupted him. Not an uncommon situation, the more she thought about it, but an upsetting one, and one that she wouldn't have expected with him.

Celestia placed a hoof on the statue. She looked at it wistfully, remembering what once was. She'd have loved to have prevented whatever it was that had driven him off the deep end. But it was pointless to sit and regret her inaction. Doing so wouldn't change a thing.

Celestia looked into Discord’s cold, scared stone eyes. It was this day, all those years ago, that she had locked him in his previous stone prison. She stared at it and sighed.

"This never would have happened if you had just watched yourself," Celestia said. "The three of us could have watched over Equestria together if that hadn't happened. We could have been friends."

Discord's stone eyes suddenly blinked. Before Celestia could look away, his hypnotic gaze was upon her. Discord chuckled malevolently to himself as Celestia fell under his gaze

"Oh Celestia," Discord said, his grin cracking the stone around his face. "Who says we can't be?"

PreviousChapters Next