• ...
2
 133
 1,618

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #1: Silence Isn't Golden

The prompt: Write a Rainbow Pie story in which one (or both) of the characters does not utter a single word of dialogue for the entire story.

"So, what do you wanna do today?" Rainbow Dash asked, trotting along. She and Pinkie were always able to find a good time in nearly anything. It was a dynamic that she really enjoyed about how they were as a couple. It was often to the point where they didn't even need to communicate with each other. One would see an opportunity for a good time, and the other would catch right on. Not that there was a lack of communication; Pinkie always saw to that. The day that Pinkie had trouble communicating was the day that...well, it was nearly impossible to even draw a proper metaphor, because it simply didn't happen. Pinkie was Pinkie, and Pinkie always talked endlessly.

Except for right now, apparently. Rainbow found the lack of response from the pink baker unsettling. It had been nearly 5 seconds since the pegasus had asked her question. By this point, she would have already been buried in verbiage from her hyperactive partner. This time, though, the earth pony's lips remained sealed. Rainbow glanced to her side, just to make sure that Pinkie hadn't zoomed off after a butterfly or gone to greet some other pony in the distance. These were, to Rainbow, the only likely solutions for the lack of response.

Yet there she was. Bouncing alongside Rainbow. Wordlessly. Impossibly, inconceivably wordlessly. It wasn't right. Something was just wrong.

"Uh, hello? Equestria to Pinkie?" Rainbow said. Pinkie, who had been looking a little bothered by something while bouncing along, gave Rainbow a cute little smile, her eyes opening wide with excitement. This confused Rainbow even more. She looked so happy, and yet she refused to speak to her.

"I said, what do you wanna do today?" the blue pegasus repeated. Pinkie just bounced along, completely nonresponsive. Rainbow sneered a bit. Were they in a fight? She hadn't remembered doing anything to insult her love, and Pinkie wasn't an easy pony to upset. Even if she was, she'd often tell Rainbow exactly why she was upset. They didn't keep secrets from each other. At least, they hadn't ever done so. Maybe she was keeping a secret right now? It wasn't like her, but then again, it was next to impossible to predict the pink pony's actions.

"Okay, what did I do wrong?" Rainbow asked, a bit of venom in her tone. She hated being told that she had done something wrong, especially when she didn't even remember what it was that she'd done. Pinkie simply continued bouncing along. This frustrated Equestria's fastest pegasus to no end.

"Come on, Pinkie, talk to me!" Rainbow said, a bit louder. "What did I do?" Pinkie turned to her and gave her the same smile and the same excited look that she had earlier, but still said nothing. Rainbow waited to see if she would answer, and when it became evident that she would not, she sneered.

"This is ridiculous!" Rainbow shouted. "I don't even know what I did wrong, and you won't even tell me! Come on! Out with it!" Her wings flared up as she shouted, hoping to maybe intimidate her partner into spilling the beans on what this apparent fight was all about. Still, the pink baker remained silent. Rainbow was beginning to shake with frustration; this would not stand.

"Was it when I caught you with that rubber cupcake prank earlier this morning?" Rainbow asked. She knew that Pinkie always took pranks in stride, but she was reaching for straws here. The lack of the ever-present ramblings of her love was really getting to her. Pinkie's lack of response to this relieved her a bit. That WAS a good prank, and she knew Pinkie would appreciate it. Yet she still had to get to the bottom of this, or it would just eat away at her.

"Was it when I said that I didn't want to go visit Applejack the other day?" she asked tentatively. Pinkie had really wanted the two of them to deliver her special apple muffins to AJ, knowing that she would just love them and that a visit from two friends was better than a visit from one. The pegasus just didn't feel up to it that day, though. And besides, it was right smack dab in the middle of her naptime. Pinkie still refused to answer, and Rainbow's anger started to rise again.

"Tell me what's wrong!" Rainbow shouted. "I can't take this anymore! You have to speak! You always speak! Constantly! You never even stop when I ask you to! Why aren't you speaking now??" Pinkie bit her lip a bit as she bounced along, but still refused to give the blue pegasus an answer. Rainbow rose into the air, flying around to Pinkie's front. The two were nose-to-nose now.

"Speak up!" Rainbow shouted. "Why aren't you talking to me? You haven't said a single word to me since we left Sugarcube Corner! Was it something I did there? I can't even remember doing anything wrong there! I went to your room, I said hello, we kissed, we went downstairs, we said goodbye to Mrs. Cake..."

Rainbow paused right then and there. She briefly looked up to the sky, as if thinking of something. Finally, she looked back into Pinkie's eyes. Her eyes narrowed, and she sighed an exasperated sigh. She finally knew what she had done.

"...Pinkie."

Pinkie giggled and hugged Rainbow tightly. The blue pegasus restrained the urge to shout at her, and took a moment before she finally hugged back. She shook her head as she did so. Pinkie could be frustrating, but she loved her anyway. And if there was one thing she'd learned from all of this, it was that Pinkie took jinxes seriously.

PreviousChapters Next