• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 1,762 Views, 39 Comments

The Final Crusade - Crysta_WildPrint



Scootaloo has some news for her Crusader friends, one that has her rather upset.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,762

Crusader down!

Crusader down!

The day was bright and clear. Birds sung and chimed a chorus of music as they welcomed the morning light. Like any other day Apple Bloom had been up for a few hours on the farm, doing her morning chores before breakfast and heading out to the school house. Taking a moment to sniff the flowers, Apple Bloom smiled to herself thinking “Today is ah perfect day…. for crusadin’!”

As she stepped in she was greeted by her teacher, Miss Cheerilee, as she does with all her students. “Good mornin’, Miss Cheerilee!” She trotted over to her desk and giving a wave to Sweetie Bell, who sat further back in the class room. Taking her seat, she glanced around the room for her other, winged friend, Scootaloo, but the filly wasn’t in sight. It wasn’t too odd, Scootaloo had been known to arrive right when class began and she had a good few minutes.

However those few minutes passed and the orange pegasus had not shown before the school bell chimed. Miss Cheerilee glanced at her attendance list. With a surprised look, she glanced up at her class and asked “Would any pony here know why Scootaloo isn’t here today? Apple Bloom? Sweetie Bell?” Both fillies glanced at each other; Scootaloo has never missed a day of school. Both replied with a shake of their heads. Cheerilee made a mark on her attendance sheet before beginning her lesson for the day.

“Ah hope everything is alright with Scootaloo” Apple Bloom thought as she glanced back to the empty seat then over to Sweetie Bell. Picking up her pencil Apple Bloom began to take notes on the day’s lesson. “Crusadin’ may have to wait another day.”

Later that day, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell met up once school had ended. “So, what do you think happened to Scootaloo, Apple Bloom?” Scratching her head with her hoof, Apple Bloom gave a defeated sigh, “Ah don’t know, Sweetie, she seemed fine yesterday. Hopefully she is not sick or somethin’.”

“Well, what should we do? We were going to do some crusading today.” Sweetie Bell practically squeaked. Scratching at the ground Sweetie Bell formed an idea, “What if, we go check up on her, see if she is ok ourselves?”

“That’s a great idea Sweetie Bell! We can go over to her place.” Apple Bloom bounced at the idea.

“Do you know where she lives?” Sweetie Bell asked. “I don’t think I’ve ever been over to her place.”

“Yea, Ah’ve been there once when she forgot a few things for trying out being pet groomers that one time. I wasn’t allowed inside unfortunately.” Apple Bloom grimaced at the memory.

“Oh Yea, I remember that one, didn’t turn up so well” Sweetie Bell chuckled. “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Sweetie Bell yelled and off they ran towards the location Apple Bloom remembered their Pegasus friend lived.


Coming to a stop at a simple little house at the far side of town, the two fillies walked towards the door. The yard was bare of any semblance of activity, save for the flower bed and small garden. Apple Bloom walked up to the door and gave a hardy knock. The two girls waited patiently for the sound of hooves approaching the door, but none came. The two girls glanced at each other before trying to knock again, but with no result.

After a few more attempts, both girls sighed, defeated. “Ah guess no pony’s home” Apple Bloom spoke first before turning away from the quiet house.

“Yea, I guess you’re right.” Sweetie Bell trotted behind her. “I hope everything is alright.”

“Ah bet it is. We just have to have faith that Scootaloo is just fine. Why don’t we hit Sugarcube Corner for a little treat? Ah’m sure we can come up with some great ideas for crusadin’ and bring them up to Scoots tomorrow.” Apple Bloom suggested, lightening the mood.

“Yeah! I heard Pinkie Pie was making something new today, I wanted try some.” Sweetie Bell picked up the pace. Both fillies made their way through town, spirits high and worries past, confident that they’d see their feathered friend tomorrow at school.


The next day both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell met outside the school house. “Those fruit tarts Pinkie made were really something weren’t they!” Sweetie Bell chimed with a small bounce. She licked her lips feeling as if she could still taste them.
“Uh Huh, They sure was. Ah was able to save some ah had brought home for Scootaloo. It sure was a bit hard convincing Big Mac not to eat them all. “Apple Bloom replied, opening her saddlebag to show off her goods.

“I hope we do see Scootaloo today. I’m just so excited to try out some of those new ideas we came up with yesterday.” Sweetie Bell opened the door to the school house, both fillies trotted through the door, greeting simultaneously “Good Mornin’ Miss Cheerilee!”

Cheerilee chuckled, “Good Morning to you too, girls.” She watched as they both went to their respective seats before turning to the board to add a few more notes to the agenda for the day. A few minutes passed as the bell rang right as the last student entered the door. Both girls beamed for a moment to see that it was, indeed, Scootaloo. But their faces feel with concern from the long face that their pegasus friend displayed.

Head down, eyes trained to the ground, Scootaloo approached Cheerilee and handed her a small note before proceeding over to her seat. Slumping into her chair, Scootaloo rested her head on her desk with a sigh, a blank look upon her face, though a slight puffiness was evident around her eyes. Apple Bloom gave Sweetie a concern looked from what they were witnessing from their usually proud and enthusiastic friend

Cheerilee read over the note, her ears feel back for a moment before nodding in understanding. She looked up to Scootaloo, calling to her softly, “Scootaloo, I’d like talk to you during recess.” The only response she received was a brief nod from the orange filly, before Cheerilee proceeded with the day’s lesson.

Not nearly soon enough, recess came around. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell got out of their seats and began to make their way to Scootaloo. “Girls” They both turned to Cheerilee, stopping in their tracks. “Now’s not the right time. I need to talk to Scootaloo, alone.”

Both fillies let out an awwwww. “But Miss Cheerilee” Sweetie Bell began.

Cheerilee shook her head “Not now. Just go out to play, you guys can catch up later.”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell walked out of the class room, Cheerilee followed to close the door behind them before turning to Scootaloo to talk.

“Ah sure hope Scootaloo is alright, She looked really sad in there.” Apple Bloom kicked a rock as she and Sweetie Bell made their way to a table.

“I wonder what happened. I don’t think I have Ever seen Scootaloo so down, Do you think it’s really bad?” Sweetie Bell hopped onto the bench, bracing her head upon her hooves.

“Ah don’ know, Ah really just don’t know, Sweetie.” Apple Bloom followed Sweetie Bell’s lead. They both sighed, staring off as their other class mates played and had fun.

“You know what I think,” An arrogant voice piped up behind them, make both fillied grimace in annoyance. “I think Scootaloo is in big trouble. That yesterday she played hooky and that note was her parents telling Cheerilee of the deed that she had done. I bet Cheerilee is telling her punishment right now.” Diamond Tiara pranced by with her pal Silver Spoon, both laughing at the girls as they walked by.

“Now hold yur horses!” Apple Bloom yelled out, jumping onto the table. “Ah know Scootaloo and Ah know she wouldn’t have missed class if it weren’t for a good reason!”

“Yeah! You two better stop spreading lies like that. You don’t know what’s going on at all!” Sweetie Bell added in.

“Oh, like you two don’t.” Diamond Tiara smirked at the two defensible fillies. “There’s only one reason Miss Cheerilee would keep anypony from having their recess and that’s if a certain pony has been bad.” Both Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon trotted off before either Apple Bloom or Sweetie Bell could have another word.

Apple Bloom hoped off of the table, kicking the ground in frustration at the two snobby ponies. “Those jerks. Ah just hate how they act some times. It just gets me all steamed up.”

“I know, just try not to let it get to you. You know what they said isn’t true. We know Scootaloo better than they do.” Sweetie Bell comforted Apple Bloom.

“Ah know, Ah Know. It’s just not right, Ah tell ya.” Apple Bloom shook her head disapprovingly. “But you know what, enough of them. What should we do about Scootaloo?”

“Well, we got the treats from Sugarcube Corner. I’m sure that would cheer her up.” Sweetie Bell pondered, regaining her cheerful pitch again. “We’ll try catching her once school ends and find out what happened. I’m sure we can cheer her up.”

“Ah reckon you’re right.” Apple Bloom looked up at Sweetie Bell. “Ah just wish we could be in there right now, cheerin’ her up. Ah just don’t like seeing her so down an’ not bein’ able to help.”

Soon recess was over and Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell trotted in, seeing Cheerilee give Scootaloo a small pat on the back before going back to the board. Scootaloo was facing away from the door, head resting on her foreleg. Apple Bloom wanted to go over to her but as she glanced over at Cheerilee she was given a shake of her head, indicating that she should give Scootaloo some space.

As Apple Bloom looked over to her feathered friend, she saw as Scootaloo drew in a deep breath, rubbed her eyes on her leg before resting her head back down facing the blackboard. Her eyes showed a tint of red. Apple Blooms heart ached. Glancing back to Sweetie Bell, both exchanging worried glanced before turning their attention to Cheerilee as class started up again

Time passed too slowly for the crusading trio, but eventually school came to an end. All their class mates rushed out of the building, all rushing off to cause mischief or have adventures of their own. The three crusaders walked slowly out of the building, both Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell watching Scootaloo, waiting for the right moment to speak.

Once outside, the trio stopped, Scootaloo sat on the ground, head hung low. Apple Bloom sat next to Scootaloo, Sweetie Bell sitting on the other side of their friend. Apple Bloom tilted her head downwards trying to get some eye contacted with their downed friend. “How’re ya doin’, Scootaloo?” She inquired.

“Not great…” Scootaloo grumbled back, head tilting to as to avoid Apple Bloom’s gaze.

“We got you some fruit tart from Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie made them.” Sweetie Bell offered with a bit of an upbeat tone as Apple Bloom slid the bag over to their orange friend.

“Um, thanks.” Scootaloo didn’t give the package any mind. “I’m just not hungry right now.” She sighed. “Can we perhaps talk at the club house?” She pleaded softly.

“Sure” Apple Bloom got up, grabbing the bag of tarts to put in her saddle bags before all three made their slow trek all the way over to their club house at Sweet Apple Acres.

Once there, the three place their saddle bags next to the door. Scootaloo sat in the middle with both her friends once again taking up the spots right next to her.

“Would you mind tellin’ us what’s wrong, we just hate seein’ you so down.” Apple Bloom gave Scootaloo an encouraging nudge before wrapping a hoof over Scootaloo small shoulders. She could feel as Scootaloo took in a deep yet shuttering breath. The young filly sat quiet for a few moments, biting her lower lip as her two companions waited patiently for a reply, trying not to pressure her for answers.

Another shutter, another staggered deep breath. The girls huddled around as a small sniffle emitted from their orange companion. A single tear drop fell to the ground as Scootaloo attempted to hide her face a little more.

“I… I’m” Scootaloo began, trying to collect herself to share the news she dreaded the most. With a grimace, followed by a few more tears she continued.

“I’m…. going to be moving…. in a month… away from Ponyville... to…to… Fillydelphia. “