• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 809 Views, 68 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Multi-Pink-Cation Problems - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A depressed Shining Armor has to deal with Ponyville suddenly being overrun with Pinkie Pies

  • ...
0
 68
 809

Celestial Advisement

Princess Celestia was just waking up, yawning and stretching as she did. She would have to get up fully soon and raise the sun. It was all part of the same routine: wake up, grab coffee and a donut, raise the sun, and then a proper breakfast with Princess Luna. Then came time for court.

She loved her ponies, and loved some of the ideas they could come up with at times, but more often than not, she wished she did not have to sit there and listen to so many of them complain about one matter or another. Especially when it was a member of the nobility complaining that they were being treated unfairly by not getting as many benefits as they feel their station deserves.

Admittedly, in her darkest hours, there were one or two that she wanted nothing more to do than give a good, swift kick. Maybe if she angled it right, she could punt them clear off the edge of Canterlot.

She never would, of course, but there were times when it was oh so tempting.

A knocking at the door got the princess' attention.

"Sister?" Princess Luna's voice called out. "Thou art awake already, correct?"

Approaching the door, Princess Celestia's horn lit up to pull it open. There stood her sister, with a mug and jelly donut in her magic. Upon seeing Celestia, Luna offered the treat and mug.

This was not something the younger princess had ever done since her return.

"Is something the matter?" Celestia asked as she took the proffered items. She took a bite of the donut, letting the sour-sweet mix of the raspberry jam explode in her mouth. It was quickly followed by a sip of coffee, the warm bitter fluid washing the remnants of sugar from her tongue.

"No," Luna answered once her sister had started being properly sugared and caffeinated. "Or... perhaps, but not in the implied manner?" She shifted, her wings flickering against her side. "May we speak while preparing for the dawn?"

"Of course," Celestia answered. Stepping into the hall, she shut the door behind her and started walking.

Princess Luna fell into step beside her. Her wings gave another flicker at her side and ears twitched back and forth. Luna's tongue slipped out to lick at her lips.

"Thou... hath tutored a great many students in the passing millennia, correct?"

Celestia let out a hum before taking another bit and sip.

"I don't know how many you would consider a great many," she answered. "I have had students, yes. About..."

She had never actually bothered to count them before. Admittedly, over the thousand years, some of the names had faded. But the faces had remained, many of them looking up at her with excitement and enthusiasm.

Except one.

"I believe Shining Armor would be my twenty-sixth."

"Twenty-six?" Luna asked. "So it was not one after another consecutively?"

"No. There were great lengths where I did not take on a student for one reason or another, be it grief, being declined, or not finding one that I thought suitable."

Princess Luna stopped, turning to look at Celestia with her eyes wide.

"Ponies have declined being thy student?!"

Celestia chucked.

"Of course. They are not obligated to accept the offer, and there were times when a pony felt obligations to other matters, which the student position would interfere with." She tilted her head. "However, I believe we are getting off topic."

"Indeed," Luna conceded as she began to walk again. "...How... how is a student selected? How dost thou decided whether a pony should be a student or not?"

Sticking the last of the donut into her mouth, Celestia chewed it slowly as she considered the question. In truth, it had always been more of an instinctive or emotional decision. She would meet a pony, see something in them, and decide it was worth nurturing.

"I suppose it mostly comes down to potential and passion," she finally answered. "Shining Armor, for example, has a large amount of raw power, and has some instinctive desire to help and protect others." Her ears dropped as she sighed. "Admittedly, however, it is not always a successful method."

"A referral to Shining's predecessor?"

"The most recent, but not the only."

'Why are you trying to keep me from getting what I DESERVE?'

With a shake of her head, Princess Celestia pushed the memory away. Now was not the time to dwell on failures.

"Am I correct in guessing that this has something to do with Twilight Sparkle?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow at her sister.

"Thy awareness of such a matter should not be surprising," Luna replied, looking away.

"She had been here quite a few times, and I do tend to get reports from the guards and bits of gossip from the kitchen staff." She smirked. "Especially when it's about my sister and a 'rather adorable' filly that many of them recognize."

Although the report from the guard -- one Aria Blaze -- went less toward "adorable" and more toward "menace."

They continued on in silence, Celestia waiting to hear what her sister would say next.

"When we were spending time with the filly, we... saw something in her that reminded us of ourselves." Luna paused, licking at her lips. "Myself, specifically in the more modern vernacular. Yet, it is uncertain to say specifically what it was. Not too long ago, we entered her dream when she was speaking to Discord." Luna held up a hoof. "It is a matter we will discuss later. However, prior to his arrival, she was having a dream in which she were our student... my student."

"So, you're considering the possibility?" Celestia asked.

"Correct," Luna confirmed. "And to seek your council on the prospect."

The two of them reached the doors to the balcony.

"It is something to put some serious thought into Luna. It is lot of responsibility as you are taking a major role in a pony's education and future. Plus, you must find a balance between authority figure and confidante. However, it can also be very rewarding when you see your student achieve." Celestia smiled. "Plus, I think it might do you some good to interact with more ponies on a regular basis."

Stepping closer, she nuzzled her sister.

"If you decide to, I'll support you," she stated, "and if not, I'll understand. At the end, the decision is up to you and Twilight."

Luna smiled, nuzzling back.

The two parted as Princess Celestia stepped outside, getting ready to raise the sun while Luna stayed back, considering the possibility.