• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 809 Views, 68 Comments

Friendship is Shining: Multi-Pink-Cation Problems - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A depressed Shining Armor has to deal with Ponyville suddenly being overrun with Pinkie Pies

  • ...
0
 68
 809

Lonely Librarian

A Pony Among Zebra by Wandering Wonder, Shining Armor read, looking at the book floating before him. Non-fiction, adventure, W. He set it down in one pile before picking up another book.

Daring Do and the Griffon's Goblet by A.K. Yearling. Fiction, adventure, Y. He set that with a different pile of books.

A Study on Changeling Culture and History by T.R.C.C.E.A (The Royal Canterlot Cultural Educational Academy). Reference, foreign culture, C.

A sigh escaped the stallion as he got tired of sorting. The rest of them could wait for later.

Although he did not really end up doing anything else.

Some minutes later, the bell rang as the door was opened. Two figures stepped in, carrying shopping bags with them.

"We're back!" Spike called out.

"And they had tortillas!" Sonata added, holding up one bag in particular. "We're having tacos for lunch!"

After the rest of the groceries were put away, the three of them got to work on lunch. Spike sliced the vegetables, and used his flame-breath to roast the peppers. Sonata shredded the cheese, humming to herself as she worked the block along the grater. Shining Armor watched the rice and black beans, stirring them occasionally. The air of the kitchen took on the aroma of cooking, making mouths water and stomachs growl.

Finished with the cheese, Sonata Dusk made her way over toward Shining Armor. She flipped her dual-blue mane and leaned against the stallion, looking up with her big, raspberry eyes.

"So, how are you doing?" she asked.

Anger flared in Shining Armor's chest at the question, muscles tensing as his ears pulled back. With a huff, he turned his attention to the rice, stirring it again (probably harder than he needed to).

"Why is everypony acting like I'm in some fragile emotional state?"

"Because we care about you?" Spike answered from his spot at the cutting board. "Because you've been depressed since Twiley went back to Canterlot with Mom and Dad?"

"Because we are your friends and want you safe," Sonata said, leaning closer and making her eyes wide and puppy-like.

Those eyes and the caring sentiment snuffed out the anger and frustration. It kind of made it hard to be angry when a pony was being adorable and trying to help because they cared.

A sigh escaped him as he pulled the spoon out and tapped it on the side of the pot.

"It's not that big a deal," he stated. "Yeah, I miss having Twiley around, but I still have Spike. And yeah, I'm sad she's left, but she's safe in Canterlot with Mom and Dad." Shifting, he looked at the other two. "Everypony is making a big deal out of it. I'm still eating, sleeping, and properly grooming myself. Okay, I've been slow about my work, but I'm still doing it. There's nothing to worry about."

Putting the knife down, Spike turned to face Shining.

"Except that's not true." Hopping off his stool, the young dragon walked over. "You've been sleeping in a lot, and don't eat nearly as much as you normally do."

Shining, shifted, looking away. As much as he wanted to, it was nothing he could deny. He was waking up later than he normally did, and then it would take him a while to get up the energy and desire to get out of bed. Yes, he ate, but it was more necessity than anything; waiting until he was nearly famished, then eating enough to not so much feel full, as no longer hungry. Besides, everything was kind of... bland? Not really the best word. He could taste the food, but it just did not appeal to him.

Taking a hold of a spoon, Sonata stirred the black beans. She licked at her lips, glancing at the unicorn stallion beside her before looking away again.

"Believe it or not, I'm a little jealous," she said softly, a blush forming across her blue muzzle.

"Jealous?" Shining asked. "Of what?"

"How close you are to your family. Especially Spike and Twiley."

The blush grew brighter as she looked at the pot. She licked her lips before speaking again.

"I never really knew my parents. Don't remember anything about them. It was just me and my sisters, pretty much relying only on each other. We did a lot together, struggling against the world" A grin spread across Sonata's face as she raised the spoon above her head like a scepter. "Nothing in the worlds stood in our way!"

"Hey!" Spike yelped out, as beans were flung at him.

"Oops," Sonata said with a giggle. "Sorry." She set the spoon down.

"Anyway," she continued, "even though we only had each other, we never really got along." Her ears pulled back, pinning against her head. "Like Dagi. Fine, she was the oldest, and she was the leader, but that didn't mean she had to be so bossy all the time!"

She stuck her nose up in the air.

"Do this!" she said in a falsetto. "Do that! Obey me! Blah-blah-blah! Crush you like a bug!" She stomped her back hoof against the floor with a loud thud!

"And then there's Aria," Sonata continued in her normal voice as she scowled. "Always trying to be tough. Always being pissed off! Always making fun of me!"

Her scowl deepened.

"Growl, growl," she rasped out. "That's stupid. You're stupid. Need to be reminded to breathe. Bet you'll die in a kitchen fire the first day you're on your own!"

She suddenly turned toward the window.

"Well I'm getting along just fine on my own Aria!" she shouted, pointing. "I haven't burned down anything yet! So, up yours, Aria! UP! YOURS!"

The room suddenly went incredibly quiet. Shining Armor and Spike stared at Sonata, eyes wide and mouths hanging up as they processed the outburst. Realizing this, a fresh blush appeared on her face. She let out a chuckle as she rubbed the back of her head.

"Sorry," she said. "Guess I got a little caught up in the memories."

She gave a small cough.

"My point is that even though we were always together and relied on each other, I don't think we even liked each other, much less loved each other." She wrapped one of her forelegs around herself. "Seeing how much you three love each other, how much you care for each other..." her ears pulled back. "I kind of wish we had that."

The room grew quiet once more as Sonata stood there, seeming lost in though. This time, it was not her who broke the silence.

"Do you miss them?" Spike asked.

"Well... yeah," Sonata answered. "But like I said, we were together our whole lives. Just because I miss them doesn't mean we actually loved each other. It's like if you have a rotten tooth and the dentist pulls it out. You don't wish you still had the tooth, but you still keep sticking your tongue in the spot it used to be."

It was an odd simile, but one that Shining Armor could kind of relate to for the most part. When he was a colt and losing his baby teeth, he never actually missed the lost tooth, but he did tend to stick his tongue into the gap and feel at the soft spot. Most foals probably did the same. He had never had a rotten tooth, but most stories made it sound like they hurt. So, a pony that would have one would probably be relieved to have it gone, but still have that foal-like interest in tonguing the gap.

The pain in the mouth would be gone, but the hole where it had been would still exist.

"Well... did they say good-bye when you decided to move to Ponyville?" Spike asked.

"Sort of. Dagi told me not to screw it up, and Aria said not to burn any buildings down."

"...At least that means they don't want you to die?" the young dragon suggested.

Sonata snorted, but said nothing else.

Shining Armor licked his lips.

"Uhm... I'm sorry that you don't really get along well with your sisters... but... maybe they'll realize how much you mean to them now that you're apart?"

"I doubt it," Sonata sighed. "But thanks."

Turning to them, she smirked.

"Now enough mushy stuff. Let's make tacos!"