• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,998 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,998

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 9 [Part 2] - Never Assume on Appearance Alone

“That was a good rest...”

Dusk yawned as he rose up from his bed and stretched his limbs.

It was only yesterday that he had his first encounter with Zecora, which many of his friends view only as an evil enchantress. At least Twilight have some doubt on the true nature of the zebra.

“Maybe I should look for Zecora again.” He muttered to himself while putting on his usual deck strap.

Dusk doesn’t like it when his friends blindly believe in their own assumptions than finding out the truth. The faster that he learns what Zecora truly is, the faster that everything would return back to normal.

Just as he was about to open the door, he heard several frantic knocks coming from the other side.

“Dusk! Wake up!”

“Twilight?”

Realizing that the unicorn was in a state of panic, Dusk wasted no time and quickly opened the door.

“Twilight, what is goi...” The stallion stopped mid-sentence when he caught sight of Twilight’s horn. “What the...”

Somehow, her horn was not only soft and wobbly, but was also covered with blue dots. Based on its condition, it was no shape to channel magic whatsoever.

As much as he found the sight of Twilight’s now wobbly horn to be funny, Dusk kept himself from laughing for the unicorn’s sake.

“What happened to you?” Dusk asked Twilight. “Did one of your experiments backfire or something?”

“No! It was like this when I woke up!” She replied. “What about you Dusk? Are you feeling well?”

“From what I can tell, I’m as fine as I can be.” He stated. “Twilight, you were alright yesterday.”

“Maybe it is some sort of illness I caught overnight? That means there should be a book here that could provide a cure!”

Twilight then quickly bolted out of the room and rushed downstairs, which Dusk followed suit. While he had planned to find Zecora, the stallion decided to remain with Twilight and help her if possible.

At the moment, the best they could do was to look up a cure from the many books that are related to illnesses and medicine. Spike with them to help as well, but he ended up laughing at Twilight’s wobbly horn, which she as expected didn’t find amusing.

Despite their efforts, they found nothing that has any connection to unicorn’s condition. At the same time, the main room of the library was now a mess as books were scattered across the place; floor, tables and even the stairs.

It isn’t like Twilight to be this messy with her books, but today was an exception since she was more focused on returning her horn back to normal.

“No no no no no! None of these books have a cure!” Twilight cried in a frustrated tone. “Ugh! There has to be a real reason for this! An illness?! An allergy?!”

“Easy now Twilight.” Dusk tried to calm down. “I’m sure it is...”

“A curse!” Spike interrupted as he was reading a green-covered book.

“I said a real reason.” Twilight said back. “Something that points to something real.”

“Mind if I see that Spike?”

Dusk asked the baby dragon for the book, which he was more then willing to oblige. He raised an eyebrow when looked upon the title.

“Supernaturals: Natural Remedies and Cure-alls That Are Simply Super...” Dusk then tried to pass the book to Twilight. “This could be a good lead.”

“Are you serious? Dusk, the word supernatural refers to things like ghosts and spirits and zombies, which are as make-believe as curses.”

The unicorn however disagreed with the stallion as she pushed the book back to him. She wasn’t interested in even skimming through the contents.

“That book is just a bunch of hooey!”

“But what if you're wrong, Twilight?” Spike agreed with Dusk, seeing that he was on to something. “What if this really is a...”

“Ah pfurse!”


“Huh?”

Everyone turned to see it was Pinkie Pie, but they were taken back by the state of her tongue that was sticking out of her mouth. It was also covered with blue dots, but its most noticeable aspect was that it was now too big to fit back into her mouth.

“A purse? How could it be a purse?”

Spike said to himself, misunderstanding what Pinkie was actually trying to say.

“Pinkie, what happened?” Twilight asked.

“Pee pah Zthecora! Sthe put a cursthe on me!”

Pinkie tried to speak, but her large tongue made it difficult for Twilight to understand properly. Not only that, she also ends up spitting a lot whenever she talks, which were all directed to Spike unfortunately.

“Hey, say it, don't spray it, Pinkie!”

Moments later, he and the other ponies heard a loud thud coming from outside. Dusk went up to the window to see what it was, only to be startled by Rainbow Dash banging into the window.

“Ow! Oh! She's...”

Dusk could see that the pegasus’s wings were now inverted and were now positioned close to her belly. As a result, Dash couldn’t fly properly and was now very likely to crash into something.

“...trying to say... Ow!”

Dash was trying to explain what Pinkie said, but she ended up banging into the window again. Surprisingly, the window was quite sturdy if it could withstand repeated hits.

“Zecora... Ow!”

Dash bumped into the wall before she the bashes through the door in blinding speed, which knocked it off its hinges.

“She slapped us all with a... Ow!”

Her constant crashing was put to an end when she crashed into the shelves and got caught the library’s ladder in the process.

“Curse!” Dash finally manage to finish what she was trying to say just as Dusk rushed to her side and helped her back on her hooves while trying to get the ladder off her.

“I'm afraid I have to agree.”

At that moment, Rarity then walked into the library and everyone was startled to see that the fashion pony’s coat became something akin to long dreadlocks. The same applied to her mane as well, which covered her whole face and she tried to blow it off in vain.

“Woah...” Dusk muttered as Twilight and Spike yelled in surprise at their friend’s state.

“I hate to say I told you so, Twilight, but I told you so!”

Upon hearing a high-pitched voice, everyone quickly turns to see it was Apple Bloom. They all gasped when they saw her back was Applejack, who was now the size of an small apple. Even her cowboy hat even strunk with her.

“You get to be kidding.” Dusk was very shocked to see the state that the farm pony was in. For something like that to happen, it would have to be the work of magic.

“It's a curse, I tell you!” Applejack exclaimed as she jumped into the air.

At the same time, Fluttershy walked into the library and stood by Rarity’s side. Remarkably, there was no physical changes of any kind on her body.

“But Fluttershy seems just fine!” Twilight said.

“Yes, there doesn't seem to be a thing wrong with her.” There was a hint of envy in Rarity’s tone.

“Fluttershy? Are you okay?” Twilight asked the shy pegasus, who merely shook her head.

“Is there something wrong with you?” Fluttershy nodded.

“Would you care to tell us?” The unicorn tried get answers, but the pegasus only shook her head again.

“So... you're not going to tell us?” Fluttershy nodded once more.

“Yes you're not, or yes you will?” As the pegasus shook her again, Applejack was getting annoyed at her friend’s silence.

At that point, she jumped off her sister’s back and ran across the table to get Fluttershy to speak.

“Good gravy, girl! What's wrong with you?!”

After a few moments, Fluttershy finally gave in and spoke in deep male voice, which shocked everyone around her.

“I don't want to talk about it.”

Unable to hold it in him any longer, Spike snorted before he burst into laughter. The stallion however made a disapproving expression.

“This is hilarious!” He said before laughing again. “Look at all of you! We got Hairity, Rainbow Crash, Spitty Pie, Apple Teeny, Flutterguy, and... Ow!”

The baby dragon was interrupted when Dusk lightly hit him on the side of the head.

“Spike, this is not the time to be laughing.”

“Oh come on Dusk! Don’t you have a sense of humor?”

“I do have a sense a humor Spike, but it only applies when we are all find it funny.” Dusk replied as he pointed to each of the mares. “If you haven’t notice already, everypony here don’t find their condition amusing. Not one bit.”

“At least you are taking this seriously.” Twilight sighed in relief at Dusk’s consideration. “Now Spike, start looking for more books so I can find a cure!”

Spike only groaned, but he obeyed Twilight’s order.

“Eh Dusk, could you help me?”

He turned to Dash and saw that somehow, the pegasus got her head through one of the step openings and was struggle to get free.

“How did you manage to do that Rainbow?” Dusk sighed as he grabbed hold of the ladder and hold it still while Dash pulled her head. After some trouble, she manages to finally free herself.

“Thanks.” Dash took to the air again, but couldn’t even hover properly due to her misplaced wings. “I think we'll find a cure to this curse at Zecora's place!”

“It is not a curse!” Twilight stated as the pegasus ended up crashing backwards into another shelve before flying around the library wildly.

“I agree with Dash!” Applejack called out. “We'll bring Dusk to Zecora's and he’ll force her to remove this hex!”

“It's not a hex either!” Soon enough, all the mares begun to bicker with each other like they did yesterday.

Dusk only shook his head at the scene and was about to leave the library before he was stopped by Apple Bloom.

“Dusk, where are you going?”

“To meet with Zecora. I’m not sure what really happen today, she may know.”

“But she was the one...”

“No Apple Bloom. Not until I hear from Zecora herself.”

Dusk shook his head again in annoyance. He was getting tired hearing the girls’ assumptions about Zecora without going through the trouble of getting actual proof.

“I don’t believe in assumptions until I see proof. I don’t know if those girls are actually cursed or Zecora is really an evil enchantress, so I’m going to find the truth. One way or another.”

With that said, Dusk turned around and again tried to leave the library if not for the filly intervening once more.

“Wait Dusk, can I join you?” Apple Bloom requested.

“Really Apple Bloom?” He looked at her carefully before sighing. “Very well, but I want you to stay close to me when we are in the Everfree Forest. Got it?”

“Got it.”

“Good. Try to keep up.”


Soon enough, both the stallion and the filly exited the library and ran at a steady pace towards the outskirts of the Everfree Forest. Just as the two entered the forest however, they stopped in their tracks when they heard a shout.

“Stop right there!”

“Applejack?” Dusk said as he saw the tiny farm pony popping out from the top of Apple Bloom’s mane. “I see you come to join us.”

“What are you thinking Dusk?! Letting my little sister join you when you confront Zecora!”

“Look, I know your concerns but...”

Applejack however wasn’t listening for she then turned her attention to Apple Bloom.

“As for you missy, Turn around right now!”

Apple Bloom however only made a mischievous look and chose to defy her big sister. It helps that she now gigantic compared to Applejack.

“No!”

“No?!” Applejack was shocked at Apple Bloom’s refusal. “You can't ignore a direct order from your big sister!”

Before she could start arguing with, Applejack was then picked up by Dusk, who then put her into one of his empty deck pouches on his strap.

All the pouches were designed to not fully enclosed by the sides, so Applejack would still have air to breathe. However, there were very little she could do inside to hinder Dusk or Apple Bloom the slightest.

“What are you doing Dusk?! Let me out of here!” Her yells were muffled as she pounded from inside her leathery prison.

“Sorry Applejack, but we going to meet with Zecora whatever you like it or not.”

Dusk apologized as he and Apple Bloom continued on their search for the zebra and hopefully get the answers they seek.

“You will let me out of her right now! You hear me!” Applejack continue to shout at the stallion. “You two are going to regret this! Aw... Pony feathers...”

Upon realizing that neither he or her little sister were going to listen, the tiny farm pony had no choice but to reluctantly gave in. She remained quiet as the stallion and filly and traveled down the path that Zecora likely took yesterday.

Luckily for them, that was apparently the case when they came across a large that was re-purposed into a hut. It was decorated with a number of coloured bottles hanging from the branches and there was African-like mask placed above the entrance.

“This must be the place.” Dusk muttered while Apple Bloom left his side and went up to the window to see what was inside. “Wait.”

He rushed up to the filly and ended up looking through the window as well. There, he saw there were much more on the sleeves along with books. On the walls were masks like the one outside; each one different in design and size. In the middle of the room was an iron cauldron.

Dusk soon notice that a zebra with a several golden rings around her neck and a pair of golden earrings, who currently reading a book. From the pattern of her stripes and the mohawk, he saw it was indeed Zecora.

“There she is.” Apple Bloom whispered. “What do we do now.”

“Isn’t obvious?” Dusk replied as he walked towards the door. While the filly was worried, he assured her that he will protect her if something goes wrong.

After knocking on the door a few times, Zecora opened the door and greeted the two.

“Ah greeting. May I know the names of the two I am meeting?”

“Well, my name is Dusk and the one with me is Apple Bloom.” Dusk told the zebra. He was a bit surprised that she spoke in rhyme, but he kept it to himself.

“Oh, hello.” The filly nervously said.

“Hey! Have you forgotten somepony?!” Applejack shouted to the stallion from inside the pouch.

“Oh sorry.”

Dusk quickly opened it and put his hoof close enough for the tiny pony to jump on. With that, Applejack finally have a close-up look on the supposed evil enchantress.

“Oh my... Who is the little one before my eye?”

“The name’s Applejack and I demand you remove this curse!”

She shouted at Zecora, but she wasn’t very intimating with her now high-pinched voice and miniaturized size.

“Sorry!” Dusk quickly apologized for his friend’s outburst. “She’s just cranky today. If you let us in, I’ll explain everything.”

With that said, Zecora agreed and let the ponies into her hut. Dusk then provided the zebra a brief yet detailed explanation of what happened to his friends and how most of them think they were cursed by her.

After listening to the stallion, the Zecora made a thoughtful expression as quickly realize what the so-called curse was.

“Ah, I see that all your friends are affected by Poison Joke.”

“Poison Joke?” Dusk was confused what that was until he recalled Utopia’s warning about the blue flowers from yesterday.

The same ones that the mares ended up stepping on at the time.

“Wait a minute. Are you referring to those blue flowers from before?”

“That is correct. Upon contact, they cause symptoms akin to a joke. In a way, they are similar to Poison Oak.”

“Wait... Is that why you were avoiding them yesterday?” Apple Bloom asked the stallion, who nodded in response.

“Are you kidding me?!” Applejack exclaimed while standing on her little sister’s back. “You are saying everything that happened to me and my friends is caused by a flower?!”

“I assure you it is no curse.” The zebra assured her. “In fact, I know a way to make it disperse.”

“So there is a cure?” Apple Bloom said as Zecora went up to one the sleeves and pulled out a book with mouth.

“What you seek is within this book. Take a look.”

Passing the book to Dusk, who grabbed it with his both his hooves while standing on his hind legs.

“Supernaturals: Natural Remedies and... Looks like I was right after all.” Dusk said much to Apple Bloom’s and Applejack’s surprise.

“What are you talking about?” The filly asked.

“There is a copy of this book in the library. I believed it would lead to a cure to everypony’s condition, but Twilight didn’t believe me.” He replied. “She told me this book is nothing but nonsense. Then again, she doesn’t believe in the supernatural.”

“Really? I would have thought she would know better than to judge a book by its cover.”

“Likely not the case today Zecora. But I will be sure to tell her that when I meet her again.”

“Would you please just find this cure already Dusk?!” Applejack yelled out in annoyance. The faster she could return back to her normal size, the better.

“Easy now Applejack.”

Dusk first opened to the table of contents to find any page related to Poison Joke. Soon enough, he skimmed through the pages until he reached the right one.

“Ah here it is. Interesting... It seems that you have to take a bubble bath laced with various herbs.”

“Ah... What?” Apple Bloom was somewhat dumbfounded that the cure to everypony’s condition was something so ordinary.

“So are you able to mix up this bubble bath or at least provide us with the herbal solution?”

Dusk asked Zecora, who gave him both good news and bad news.

“That would not be a problem. Unfortunately, I can’t do so right now for I’m missing a key item.”

“And what would that be?” The stallion asked.

“A kind of herb that I hope to obtain from Ponyville during my visits. Strangely, all the stores that would sell them are closed shut.” Zecora sadly replied.

“We can take care of that Zecora. We’ll get that herb for you.” Dusk declared to the zebra, which in turn made her quite happy.


After providing them with a list which provide details about the required herb necessary for the cure, the three ponies then left Zecora’s hut.

“So Applejack?” Dusk asked her. “What do you think of Zecora now that you meet her?”

“Well, she’s... She isn’t what I expected.” She replied. “I’ll admit isn’t as bad as I thought she would be.”

“She is quite nice.” Apple Bloom commented.

“Glad you two now see Zecora that way.”

Dusk is relieved that the two’s perception of the zebra has changed for the better. The only things left now is to get the herb needed for the cure and convince the rest of his friends’ opinion on Zecora.

“Now lets...”

He suddenly went silent when he felt senses suddenly flare up. Very soon, he scanned his surrounding with a serious expression on his face.

“Applejack? What is wrong with Dusk?”

Apple Bloom was startled by his sudden change in behavior and worriedly asked her sister.

“Dusk, please don’t tell there is a...”

“Number?” The stallion answered for her. “I’m afraid that is case...”

Before they knew it, the three suddenly felt a cold feeling behind them. Turning around, the ponies saw there was a black aura covering both the door and windows.

“Well I be... Seems you are smarter than I thought.”

Looking up, Dusk, Apple Bloom and Applejack saw a cloud of the black aura forming into a humanoid wraith. Its figure appeared to be slime-like and there was a freakish grin on its otherwise featureless face.

“Ahhh!” Apple Bloom was scared by its appearance and quickly got behind of Dusk. It was the first time she seen a Number after all.

“It is a pity to see that this Zecora isn’t anything like the rumors said...” The Number states while crossing its arms. “I will see to that she does becomes the evil enchantress that all you ponies fear so much.”

“I’m not afraid of rumors and definitely not you. Duel Disk on.”

Dusk declared as he materialised his duel disk on his right hoof. He then turned his head to the filly, who was looking at what he just did in amazement.

“Apple Bloom, you and Applejack go back to Ponyville and get that herb. I’ll handle this Number!”

“But...”

“No Apple Bloom!” Applejack scolded her. “Numbers are very dangerous! Dusk is the only one right now who can handle it.”

After some hesitant, the filly finally relented and rushed down the path back to Ponyville with her sister, who was back in her mane.

Dusk kept a close on the Number in case it tried intercept the two, but it merely struggled as he watched the two leave his sight.

“Those two are little threat to me...”

It stated as it jumped down to the ground, which Dusk quickly back away to give himself some distance.

“Sure they would tell the truth of that zebra, but it would all for naught when I have her in my grasp.”

The stallion could a muffled banging coming from inside Zecora’s hut. From what he could tell, the zebra realized she was locked inside and wondering what was going on outside.

“Oh, don’t worry. She can still see outside despite what I did to the windows.” The Number said as a duel disk designed like a half circle appeared on its left arm. “I wish for her to see her only hope being crushed to pieces before her eyes.”

“We will see about that.”

Dusk checked through his pouches and found that the only deck he has with him was his Six Samurai deck.

‘Just my luck...” He realized that he forgot to grab his Galaxy deck just before he left the library. ‘Can’t be helped...’

As he placed the deck into his duel disk, he notice cards beginning to materialize and bundle together into a deck in front of the Number.

“You wish to make a last stand eh... Very well.” The Number stated as it grabbed and inserted the deck into its duel disk. “I am Number 30... The last Number you will ever face.”

“You are not the only Number I faced.” Dusk refuted. “And I know for sure you will not be the last.”

Both quickly enough activated the functions of their duel disks as the computerized voice echo across the Everfree forest.

“Solid Reality Vision Link established.”

After that, the holographic screens which display their respective pictures and Life Points appeared above them. Dusk and Number 30 then drew their respective cards and shouted the usual word at the start of all duels.

“DUEL!”


[Dusk’s Life Points: 8000]
[Number 30’s Life Points: 8000]

[Turn 1: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 5]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 5]

“I’ll take the first turn. Draw!”

Dusk drew his card and examined his hoof to see what he could do to start the first turn.

“Here goes. I summon The Six Samurai – Kamon in Attack mode.”

On his field then appeared a orange-coloured samurai whose armor appeared to be partially made from sticks of dynamite. Unlike the rest of the Six Samurais, he doesn’t have any other weapon with him.

[The Six Samurai – Kamon] [ATK: 1500] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 3]

“Next, I equip him with Legendary Ebon Steed.” Dusk activated the card, which then a black horse wearing darkish armor appeared next to Kamon.

“It can only be equipped a “Six Samurai” monster, but the equipped monster gains 200 ATK and DEF.”

Kamon quickly got onto the horse’s back as his strength rose up.

[The Six Samurai – Kamon] [ATK: 1500 (+)> 1700] [DEF: 1000 (+)> 1200]

“I then set two cards face-down and end my turn.” The stallion said as he placed the cards into the duel disk, which appeared on his field face downwards.


[Turn 2: Number 30]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 2]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 5]

“Like that monster is going to help you. Draw!” Number 30 mocked Dusk as it drew from its deck. “I summon Acid Slime in Defense mode.”

Appearing from a portal in front of the Number, a blue slime with an organic component in the center then emerged onto the field on its four appendages.

[Acid Slime] [ATK: 800] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 3]

“Then I activate the Spell card, Slime Base. Now I can Special Summon a “Slime” monster from my hand. Come forth, Clone Slime.”

Next Acid Slime then appeared a green slime shaped like a ghost with frail arms. It was kneeling on the ground with its arms crossed in a protective stance.

[Clone Slime] [ATK: 0] [DEF: 0] [Level: 2]

‘What is its planning?’

Dusk wondered in his head why Number 30 is going defensive with weak monsters. However, he knew better than to underestimate his opponents; especially a Number.

“I then end my turn with three face-downs.” The Number set the remaining cards in its hand onto the field.


[Turn 3: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 2]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 0]

“It’s my turn. Draw!” Dusk drew his card and after looking at it quickly, he played it. “I summon Shien's Daredevil in attack mode.”

Appearing on his field was a muscular samurai who lacked armor on his chest and arms. He had a bold smile on his face as he drew his dual katanas.

[Shien’s Daredevil] [ATK: 1600] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 4]

“When this card is successfully Normal Summoned, a Bushido Counter is placed on it. Not only that, Shien’s Daredevil also gains 300 ATK as long it has an Bushido Counter attached to it.”

That very samurai glowed brightly as it received his Bushido Counter and received the boost to his power.

[Shien’s Daredevil - Bushido Counter 0 (+)> 1]

[Shien’s Daredevil] [ATK: 1600 (+)> 1900]

“Now let us battle! Kamon will first attack your Acid Slime!”

Dusk pointed to the specified slime as the orange samurai rode his steed towards it. Grabbing one of the dynamites on his armor and lighting it, he threw it at the slime and blew into pieces.

However, the stallion felt a slight burning sensation as a piece of Acid Slime struck him on the face.

“Agh!”

[Dusk’s Life Points: 8000 (-)> 7200]

“My Life Points...”

“When Acid Slime is destroyed in battle and sent to the Graveyard, you take 800 points of damage.” Number 30 explained as it then pointed to one of its face-downs. “With its destruction, I can activate this Trap!”

The face-down flipped up and the picture glowed brightly, signifying that the effect is occurring.

“Broken Blocker! When a Defense Position monster I control is destroyed in battle and its DEF is greater than its ATK, I can Special Summon up to 2 monsters with the same name as that monster from my Deck in face-up Defense Position!”

Two cards slipped out of the Number’s deck and flew into its hand. Soon enough, it played those cards and immediately on the field were two more Acid Slimes.

[Acid Slime] [ATK: 800] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 3]

[Acid Slime] [ATK: 800] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 3]

‘Well that complicate things...’

Dusk saw that he would have to destroy those Acid Slimes to reach Number 30, but he would take damage in the process. It seems that part of Number 30’s strategy involves inflicting to his Life Points while protecting his own.

“My Battle Phase is not over! Shien’s Daredevil will attack your Clone Slime!”

Dusk wasn’t sure what Clone Slime could do, but he has to risk it. The muscular samurai charged at the green slime, ready to cut it into pieces with his katanas.

“Not so fast!” Number 30 grinned as it pointed to his attacked monster. “I activate Clone Slime’s special effect.”

“What?” Dusk was surprised to see Clone Slime suddenly changing both its colour and shape.

“When Clone Slime is selected as an attack target, you can send this card to the Graveyard...”

The Number took the card and send it to its Graveyard. In the process, a card then slipped out of its Graveyard and Number 30 immediately placed on the field.

“If I do, I can select 1 "Slime" monster in your Graveyard and Special Summon that monster in same battle position as Clone Slime; becoming the target for your attack!

“That would mean...”

The stallion realized what the Number brought forth as the Clone Slime transformed itself into the Acid Slime that was previous destroyed.

[Acid Slime] [ATK: 800] [DEF: 1000] [Level: 3]

The cycle repeats itself as Shien’s Daredevil struck down Acid Slime and Dusk once more was struck on the face by a portion of the destroyed slime.

“Egh!”

[Dusk’s Life Points: 7200 (-)> 6400]

“I... I end my turn.” Dusk shook his head to rid himself of the slight pain on his face that came from the effects of Acid Slime.


[Turn 4: Number 30]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 2]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 0]

“It is my turn now. Draw!”

Number 30 grinned as he looked upon the card he drew. “I play the Spell, Contingency Fee. Now you must draw until you have six cards.”

“What?”

Dusk was confused why the Number would replenish his entire hoof. Nevertheless, he complied and drew four cards from his deck.

“You shouldn’t think of it as a gift because the next effect of Contingency Fee now activates!” The Number stated. “For every card you just drew, I gain 1000 Life Points!”

“Impossible...” Dusk muttered as he watched its Life Points rise up by 4000 points; half of its original amount.

[Number 30’s Life Points: 8000 (+)> 12000]

“That is not all... Next activate my Trap, Gamble!” Number 30 continued on as it pointed to the now faced-up card. “It can only be activated when my opponent’s hand or your case, hoof has six or more cards and my hand is two or less...”

“You toss a coin and call either heads or tails...” Dusk called out for he knew the effects of this Trap card. “If you call it right, you draw until you have five cards in your hand. Call wrong however and you have to skip your next turn.”

“But I feel lucky today. I call heads.”

Number 30 snickered as a coin appeared in its hand and immediately tossed it into the air. As the coin descended, the Number grabbed it and placed it on the top of his left hand.

Upon revealing the side that the coin landed on, the Number 30 grinned once again.

“I told you I was feeling lucky. Its heads!”

The stallion only groaned as Number 30 drew a total of five cards from its deck; no longer in a disadvantage when it came to the number of cards in hand.

“Now that is done with, let us truly begin!”

Number 30 exclaimed as it pointed to its two Acid Slimes. “Now, I overlay my two Level 3 Acid Slimes!”

Dusk quickly realized what it was bringing forth as the two slimes transformed into a pair of blue lights that now spiralled in the air. At the same time, Number 30 opened its mouth and exhaled a black cloud that begun to circle around the vortex that appeared on his field.

“With these two monsters, I build the Overlay Network! Xyz Summon!” The Number’s voice was heard from the black cloud instead from its other body.

The pair of lights were the first to enter the vortex and it was only when black cloud finally entered that the vortex finally exploded.

“Fear me! Fear me! Fear me! Woe upon those who stand before Number 30, Acid Golem of Destruction!”

Emerging from the portal was now a large mechanic golem with two Overlay Units spinning around it. A mix of dark cyan, purple and black colours, its form had dozens of nozzles that appears to be leaking out some kind of acid. On its right side was a design similar to a ribcage, which helps bolster its frightening appearance along with its menacing teeth.

[Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction] [ATK: 3000] [DEF: 3000] [Rank: 3]

“So you finally revealed your true form...” Dusk muttered at the golem, whose size is twice the size of Zecora’s hut.

“Behold your end!” Number 30 shouted as it pointed its nozzle fingers at Kamon. “I will destroy that samurai with Acid Splash!”

Unleashing a powerful stream of acid at Kamon, the orange samurai quickly avoided the attack by jumped off his steed. The steed however was enveloped by the acid and dissolved into nothing.

“What happen?!” Number 30 yelled out as it saw that Kamon survived the attack at the cost of its equip card. However, Dusk still took Battle Damage.

[The Six Samurai – Kamon] [ATK: 1700 (-)> 1500] [DEF: 1200 (-)> 1000]

[Dusk’s Life Points: 6400 (-)> 5100]

“When a monster equipped with Legendary Ebon Steed is destroyed, the equip card is destroyed in its place.”

The stallion explained why his samurai was about to survive the Number’s attack.

“Why you... I end my turn with three more face-downs!” It growled in annoyance before its secondary body set the cards onto the field.


[Turn 5: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 6]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 2]

“It’s my turn...”

Dusk was about to draw before he heard a shout coming from his right. He turned to see it was Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie and Fluttershy; Rainbow Dash was strangely missing.

“Dusk!”

The unicorn quickly called out as she saw that stallion was dueling a black wraith-like figure. Looking up on the holographic screen above it, she saw the name, Number 30.

“A Number!? At a time like this!?”

She shouted out, which in turn scared her friends. With what she and the others have to deal with today, she doesn’t want anything that would make it worse as it is.

“Oh, it seems you have now an audience.” Number 30 said to Dusk. “However, I cannot allow any inference.”

The Number’s secondary body raised both its arms mechanically and created a blackish barrier around Number 30 and Dusk. The barrier however is transparent enough to see what was going on inside.

“Ahhhh!”

Everpony turned to see it was Rainbow Dash, who unsurprisingly flying out of control due to her inverted wings. Unfortunately, she ended up slamming into the barrier hard and skidded slowly to the ground.

“Ow... Who put... That there...” She groaned in pain as her friends help her back up on her hooves.

“Wthe ah minate! Thet canh be igh!” Pinkie said when she looked upon the screen and saw that the Number’s ridiculous amount of Life Points.

“What do you mean?” Rarity didn’t understand what Pinkie said until the party pony moved the hair out of her face and pointed to the holographic screen above Number 30.

“What!? Why that Number’s Life Points so high!? 12,000!?”

“Better question, where is Apple Bloom and Applejack?”

Fluttershy asked everypony in her now-manly voice. Looking around, she quickly heard some banging coming from the tree hut, unaware it belonged to Zecora.

“Hmm... Based on your stupid and laughable conditions, I surmised that you wish to see Zecora eh?” Number 30 guessed correctly, though the mares were less than amused of its comment on them. “Sorry, but she is busy at the moment.”

It chuckled when its old body pointed to the tree hut. Realizing that Zecora was inside, the mares ended up imagining the worst-case scenario.

“Does that mean that Apple Bloom and Applejack are inside with Zecora...” Fluttershy muttered in assumption.

“Maybe it be that Zecora is holding them as prisoners?” Rarity followed up. “But doesn’t explain why that Number is here though.”

“It could be that Zecora is league with that Number!” Dash claimed as she recovered from the previous impact. “I knew she was wicked!”

“Oe myee shee ie actaely teh numere iself!” Pinkie made her assumption despite the difficulty that came with her tongue.

“Zecora is the Number itself?” Twilight was at least able to make out what her friend was saying. “Pinkie, that is completely ridiculous.”

“Ugh...!”

Dusk was getting annoyed that most of the mares have the wrong idea regarding Zecora. As much he wanted to explain the truth about the Zebra, he has to focus on the duel.

At least it pleases him that Twilight was trying to be reasonable on the true nature of Zecora.

“As I said before, it is my turn. Draw!”

Upon drawing his card and scanning his hoof, he chose to start his turn by playing a monster.

“I summon a Tuner monster, Shien’s Squire in Defense mode.”

Soon, a monkey wearing a suit of Japanese-style armor and wielding a small spear appeared next to Kamon. Fluttershy couldn’t help but gush a little at the little monkey, who was kneeling and was using the shaft of its weapon as a shield.

[Shien’s Squire] [ATK: 300] [DEF: 700] [Level: 1]

“Tuner? That must mean...” Dash caught on what Dusk was planning to do.

“I’m tuning my Level 1 Shien’s Squire to my Level 4 Shien’s Daredevil!” Dusk shouted as the two monsters jumped into the air. The monkey turned into a star and made a green ring as the samurai move through it. Stopping halfway through, he then turned into four stars which then lined up with the ring.

“Never yield against the unrelenting storm! Witness power born through unity!” As expected, a beam of light passed through the ring before enveloping it and the four stars.

“Synchro Summon! Stand Strong! Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En!”

The powerful red samurai emerge from the pillar of light and landed on Dusk’s field. Already knowing its capabilities, Shi En is welcome sight to the mares.

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 2500] [DEF: 1400] [Level: 5]

“Next, I activate my face-down, Fusion Sword Murasame Blade and equip it to him.” Dusk said as the sword as about to appear in Shi En’s left hand. “He gains 800 ATK and as long it is equipped to him, the Fusion Sword Murasame Blade cannot be destroyed by card effects.”

“Clever, but that card doesn’t help if its activation is negated!”

Number 30 exclaimed as its secondary body activated one of its face-downs. “I activate Jammer Slime! By discarding a “Slime” monster in my hand, I can negate the activation of Spell or Trap and destroy it!”

After flipping upwards, the purple slime appeared from the Trap and flew towards Fusion Sword Murasame Blade just as it was finally materializing.

“Activate Shi En’s special effect!” Dusk countered. “Once per turn whenever my opponent activates a Spell or Trap Card, I can negate the activation and destroy it!”

The samurai was about to strike down the slime with the katana in his right hand, but he was stopped when a number of chains wrapped around his limbs and then the rest of his body.

“What? How?”

Dusk was shocked to see Shi En unable to use his special effect as Jammer Slime struck Fusion Sword Murasame Blade. Since the equip card’s effect was negated during activation, its protective effect was active and thus destroyed it.

“I activated my other Trap card.”

Number 30 said it gestured to newly faced-up card on his field.

“Fiendish Chain. As long this card is on the field, Shi En cannot ever use its special effect or declare an attack. Your monster is essentially just dead weight!”

“Oh no...” Twilight muttered in worry that the Number manage to deprive Dusk of one of his ace monsters.

“If that is case, then I will then use Kamon’s special effect!”

Dusk declared as the orange samurai took another dynamite off his armor and prepare to light it.

“When I control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, Kamon can once per turn destroy a face-up Spell or Trap card on the field! And choose I’m free Shi En from your chains!”

After lighting his dynamite up, Kamon threw it at the face-up Fiendish Chain. However, Number 30 chuckled as its other body activated another face-up.

“Are you serious...” Dusk was both shocked and annoyed that his moves were being countered in quick succession.

“You activated another Trap! Fake Trap!” The Number yelled as the faced-up Trap card swiftly moved in front of Fiendish Chain and shield from the explosion.

“When my opponent destroys any number of Trap cards on my field, Fake Trap gets destroyed in their place!”

“Egh... I switch Kamon to Defence mode then.” Dusk’s dynamite-wielding samurai soon kneeled on the ground on one knee as he changed to a defensive stance.

“Then I play the Spell, Monster Reincarnation. By discarding a card from my hoof, I can return a monster from my Graveyard back to my hoof.”

Dusk send the card of his choice from his hoof and placed it into his Graveyard. When that was done, a card then slipped out of the slot and the stallion add it into his hoof.

“And I choose Shien’s Squire.”

“Hah! Like that little thing could do you anything good!”

Ignoring the Number’s taunts, Dusk merely set a card face-down on the field. “I end my turn with a face-down.”


[Turn 6: Number 30]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 4]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 2]

“Let us end this! Draw!”

As Number 30’s other body drew from its deck, the Number itself begun to emit some acidic fumes from its vents.

“Trap card open, Session Draw.” Dusk said as one of his face-downs revealed itself. “During my next Draw Phase, I can draw another card and if I draw two monsters with the same Levels, I can use them for an Xyz Summon.”

“If that is so, then I’ll activate my special effect. During my Standby Phase, I have to detach an Overlay Unit from myself or I take 2000 damage.”

“So you have an upkeep cost?” Dusk noted. “I think its obvious what you plan to do.”

“No quite...” Number 30 replied. “I chose not to detach any Overlay Units!”

“What!?” Rarity yelled in surprise. “But you would...”

“I’m not the one who going to take the damage... Your friend will!” With that said, the last face-down the Number had flipped upwards. “I activate Barrel Behind the Door!”

Appearing from the Trap’s picture was a golden and ornate gun barrel, where the acidic fumes from Number 30 entered it through the muzzle.

“Whenever I take damage from a card effect, my opponent takes the damage instead!”

“Ah man...”

Dusk groaned just as the purple beam of energy was fired from the barrel and struck him. The force of the blast was strong enough to knock him to the ground.

“Egh!”

[Dusk’s Life Points: 5100 (-)> 3100]

“Dusk!” All the mares cried out as he got back up. The stallion shook his body a bit to get the dust and dirt off his coat.

“Don’t give up! You have to save Apple Bloom and Applejack!”

“Save us? What are you talking about Rainbow Dash?”

Surprised to her Applejack’s high-pitched voice from behind, the pegasus turned around to see it was Apple Bloom with a pair of side pouches which were filled with herbs.

On her head was Applejack herself, who looked at her friend with a skeptical expression.

“Me and my little sister are fine as dandy. Besides the Poison Joke affecting me of course...”

“Apple Bloom! Applejack! You two are alright!”

Twilight cried out in joy, a feeling that was shared with the rest of the mares.

“Of course, why did yo... Woah!”

Apple Bloom stopped talking as her attention was now focused on the duel between Dusk and the Number.

She was there during the Summer Sun Celebration, where she watched the same stallion duel Lyra, who was possessed by Number 22 at the time. Seeing the holograms really excited the young filly and thought she may never experience such a thing again until now.

“Where were you two? We thought you were held by Zecora?” Rarity said.

“Zecora?” Applejack quickly realized that her friends have yet to learn the truth. “I know this may surprise you all, but Zecora isn’t really that bad.”

“Wat ar yeu alkin aout?” Pinkie struggled to say due to her tongue.

“Uh, where that start...”

As Applejack was now explaining to her friends about the true nature about Zecora, Number 30 continued his turn.

“So those two came back... Whatever!” It said as its other body played the card it drew. “I activate Pot of Greed, which lets me draw two more cards.”

After the cards were drawn, Number 30 pointed its finger-like nozzles towards Shi En.

“Begone samurai! I attack Shi En with Acid Splash!”

Upon releasing another stream of acid at the chained samurai, Dusk quickly activated another of his face-downs.

“I activate Rising Energy! By discarding a card from my hoof, I can increase Shi En’s ATK by 1500 till the End Phase.”

Just as he paid the cost, Number 30 merely laughed.

“Not going to happen, I play the Quick-Play Spell, Trap Booster! By discarding a card, I can then play a Trap from my hand!”

After its other body discarded a card to its Graveyard, the slot suddenly begun to glow. “By the way, when Draw Slime is sent to the Graveyard, I can draw a card from my deck.”

After drawing from its deck, the Number then played the Trap of its choosing. “I then play from my hand the Trap card, Curse Transfer!”

Dusk was startled to see some electricity emit from his Trap card as it slowly begun to vanish.

“This only activates when my opponent activates a Trap card. That Trap’s effect is not only negated, but Curse Transfer’s effect then becomes the negated effect!”

“Wah!?”

Dusk could only watch was Number 30’s Trap begun to take the form of Rising Energy.

“Now Curse Transfer’s effect becomes Rising Energy’s own! By discarding a card, I can increase my own ATK until the End Phase by 1500!”

After another of its cards were discarded, the Graveyard glowed once more. “Since I discarded another Draw Slime, I can draw another card from my deck.”

As the Number’s other body drew the card, Number 30’s true form gained a substantial boost in ATK thanks to Rising Energy.

[Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction] [ATK: 3000 (+)> 4500]

Apple Bloom gasped in shock just as Number 30’s stream of acid became larger and more potent.

Despite the setback, Dusk regained his composure and quickly discard a card from his hoof.

“I activate Shien’s Squire special effect! By sending that card from my hoof to the Graveyard, Shi En cannot be destroyed in battle for the rest of the turn!”

A spiritual form of that very monkey appeared in front of Shi En and formed a protective dome around the samurai. While it ensured Shi En’s survival against Number 30’s attack, it nevertheless inflicted much damage to Dusk’s own Life Points.

“Ah...”

Dusk struggled to keep his balance as he felt the acidic feeling on his body. Hologram or not, the sensation is as real as it can be.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 3100 (-)> 1100]

“You...” It was angered that Dusk manage to ensure that his monster remained on the field despite his efforts.

“I set these cards face-down and end my turn! You just delayed the inevitable! I will crush you on my next turn!”

Number 30 set the last two cards in its hand face-down on the field. Since the turn has ended, Shien’s Squire vanished for its effect on Shi En has expired. At the same time, the effects of Rising Energy wore off as well.

[Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction] [ATK: 4500 (-)> 3000]

The Number was right though on the stallion’s situation. As it stands, Dusk only have his next turn to win this duel.


[Turn 7: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 3]
[Number 30’s Cards in Hand: 0]

“Wow... I am surprised to hear that... Oh no!”

After hearing everything about Zecora from Applejack, the rest of the ponies turned her attention back to the duel.

Twilight however horrified to see that Dusk was on the verge of losing due to the drastic differenence between his and the Number’s Life Points.

“How... How is he going to turn this around?!”

“I’m sure he can!” Apple Bloom said. “Remember what he did during the Summer Sun Celebration?”

The mares recalled back to the time where Dusk duelled against Number 22. The stallion was on the verge of defeat, yet he changed everything in a single draw.

A miracle draw...

“Have faith in your deck...” Twilight whispered the words that Dusk told her before. She at first thought it was sheer luck, but started to realize it was something much greater.

“Its my turn. Draw!” Dusk called out as he drew from his deck. “Due to the effect of Session Draw, I can draw another card from my deck.”

After drawing again, Dusk made a smirk when he examined the two cards.

“While don’t meet the requirements to use Session Draw’s other effect, I have what I need.”

“Don’t make me laugh! Look at our Life Points!” Number 30 stated. “There is no way you can turn this around!”

“Sorry to disappointed, but thanks to you, I can finally activate this Trap!” Dusk refuted much to everyone’s surprise. “I activate Life Equalizer!”

When the Trap was finally faced-up on Dusk’s field, two bolts of green energy shot out from the card. One of the bolts struck the stallion while the other struck the Number; the former made a sigh of relief as the latter groaned in pain.

As for the ponies, they were astonished as they witness Dusk’s Life Points raising up and Number 30’s own taking a steep dive.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 1100 (+)> 3000]

[Number 30’s Life Points: 12000 (-)> 3000]

“Impossible?!” Number 30 roared in anger. “What have you done?!”

“Life Equalizer can only be activated when the difference between our Life Points is 8000 or more.”

Dusk explained the Trap’s effect.

“When activated, our Life Points then becomes 3000, regardless of the original amount. This Trap card is very situational, but I have this in my deck for rare occasions like this.”

“Incredible! He just took away most of its Life Points in one move!” Dash cheered.

“He also raised his Life Points as well!” Rarity followed up.

“That is not all. I activate Kamon’s special effect once again!” Dusk said as he pointed to Number 30’s faced-up Fiendish Chain.

The specified samurai once more prepared another stick of dynamite and threw it at the Trap. Unlike what happened last time, the Number was unable to counter it and watched its Fiendish Chain was blown to pieces.

“Since Fiendish Chain is now destroyed, Shi En is now free!”

The stallion pointed to the red samurai, who manage to break free from the chains entangling with his newly gained strength.

“Let’s end this... Since I have at least two “Six Samurai” monsters on the field, I can Special Summon Great Shogun Shien!” On Dusk’s field then emerged a fiery portal, which a powerful shogun emerged; donned in a set of fearsome red armor and dark violet cape. He pointed his katana at Number 30 as he stared at it with his glowing red eyes.

[Great Shogun Shien] [ATK: 2500] [DEF: 2400] [Level: 7]

“Woah...” The ponies looked at the inspiring warrior that was Shien in awe. Twilight in particular look at it in amazement since she never seen him play this card during their practices.

However, she couldn’t help but assume that there was a relation between him and Shi En. Since their names were virtually identical, it was obvious there was a connection with the two.

“What is point of that? Your monsters are no match against me! Even if you somehow overpower me, I can’t be destroyed by a non-Number!”

Number 30 called out to Dusk, who retained both his composure and smirk.

“Not for long! Next, I play the Spell, Riryoku!”

Upon playing the card, a glowing orb of energy appeared on Dusk’s field and before the Number could react, it was covered by a greenish aura.

“No...!”

“Riryoku allows me to halve the ATK of one monster on the field and transfer them to another monster till the End Phase.” The stallion told it as the Number felt its strength being sapped. “You may be powerful, but you are still affected by card effects! I will take your ATK and give them to Shien!”

“Ugghh...!”

The aura around Number 30 drained his strength before moving towards the orb. The orb in turn flew towards Shien and entered his chest, granting him the power that was drained from the Number.

[Number 30: Acid Golem of Destruction] [ATK: 3000 (-)> 1500]

[Great Shogun Shien] [ATK: 2500 (+)> 4000]

“Impossible...” Number 30 muttered as it realized that it was now weaker than Dusk’s Shi En and Shien.

“Now Shien! Attack Number 30 with Shogun’s Swordplay!”

“No!” Number 30 defiantly said as it activated one of its face-downs. “I activate Negate Attack...”

“You have forgotten Shi En’s special effect! Once per turn, I can negate the activation of Spell or Trap and destroy it!”

Shi En dashed in front of Shien and slashed the Trap into several pieces; clearing the way for the shogun.

“Ha! I already anticipated that move! Now I can safely activate my Mirror Force!” The Number declared as its original body prepare to activate it. “Now all your face-up monsters in Attack mode are destroyed!”

Much to the Number’s and the other ponies’ surprise, the Trap failed to flip upwards as it was then covered by blue aura that was similar to flames.

“Come on! Activate already!”

“I’m sorry Number 30, but Shien also have a special effect!” Dusk called out to it. “As long Shien is on the field, you can only activate a Spell or Trap card each turn!”

“What?!” Number 30 cried in shock as there was nothing it could do to stop the shogun’s attack, who then deliver a series of powerful yet precise slashes throughout its form.

While Shien wasn’t about to destroy the Number, he nevertheless taken almost all of its Life Points away.

[Number 30’s Life Points: 3000 (-)> 500]

“This can’t be...”

“This is the end! Shi En! Deliver the final blow to Number 30!” Dusk yelled out.

“...HAPPENING!” As Shi En charged forward, the Number tried to swipe him away in defiance. However, the red samurai merely jumped up to avoid the attack and delivered an overhead blow onto Number 30’s head.

“AGGGHHH!”

[Number 30’s Life Points: 500 (-)> 0]


[Winner: Dusk]

Number 30’s monster form slowly crumbles into nothing as the holographic functions of the duel disks begun to shut down.

As the holograms and screens begun to vanish, the wraith form of the Number reappeared to give out one final cry before it disappeared without a trace. The same applied to its original body and duel disk; both silently faded from existence until the only thing that remains was the deck itself.

“It’s over...”

Dusk sighed in deep relief that he manages to defeat the Number despite the trouble it brought him. He turned towards his friends, who were now rushing up to congratulate him for his victory.

“That was awesome!” Apple Bloom said in excitement. “I wish I could see more of these duels!”

“I’m sure I can arrange something.”

Dusk chuckled tiredly as he turned his head to Twilight and the other mares. “Glad you all manage to get here safely. I’m surprised though that you manage to find me though.”

“Well, it is quite easy when he you hear explosions from a distance.” The unicorn told him. “I’m more surprised what Apple Bloom and Applejack told me about Zecora. Is she really nice?”

“You will see soon enough.”

Dusk then pointed to Zecora hut, where door and windows were no longer covered by Number 30’s aura. Quickly opening the door was the Zebra, who was deeply relieved that she was finally free.

“Ah, free at last! Locked inside my own home, I was aghast!”

“Good to see that you are alright Zecora.” Dusk called out to her. “By the way, these are the rest of my friends.”

Zecora took a good look at the mares and saw they were indeed the ones she meets yesterday. While the mares in turn were cautious to meet zebra face-to-face, Applejack reassured them that everything will be alright.

“Ah, it is you pony folks. I did tell you before that those leaves of blue were no joke.”

“Yeah, yeah, we get it! Can you please cure us already?!” Dash cried out as she tried to flew up to Zecora, but accidentally passed her and banging into the hut instead. “Ow!”

“I’m very sorry about her. She and the others are not a good mood when the Poison Joke effect.” Dusk apologized for the pegasus’s behavior.

“That I can’t argue, but was that shadow? The one that almost brought me much woe?”

“The Number?” Dusk scratched the back of his head. “Well, I will tell everything you want to hear inside.”

He told the zebra as he picked the cards that Number 30 once used. “Believe me, you are going in for a surprise.”

When everypony was inside Zecora’s hut, Dusk explained his tale as of now to the zebra. She was indeed very surprise to hear that the stallion was a being from another world; a human from Earth. He also explained about the Numbers, what they are capable of and how they could only be stopped by beating in Duel Monsters.

Seeing that Duel Monsters was also found on Earth, Zecora asked the former human if he has any links to the Numbers. Dusk assured her that he was clueless when he arrived to Equestria and been trying to learn about the mysterious beings since then.

As the rest of the mares, they were slightly unnerved by the decorations that Zecora had throughout the interior of her hut. Only Apple Bloom and Applejack were alright since they already gotten use to it.

After telling Dusk that she is in his debt for freeing her from Number 30, she then turned to Apple Bloom and Applejack regarding the herbs needed for the Poison Joke cure. Just as the she and Dusk hoped, the two manage to obtain the requested herbs.

In time, Zecora was preparing to mix up the cure and when she was doing so, Dusk told Twilight that the cure was inside the supernatural book; the one she claimed was nonsense.

“I told you that book was a good lead...”

The unicorn felt a bit embarrassed that for all her book smarts and logic, the stallion resolved everything by following his own intuition and instincts.

When the cure was finally finished in the form a bubble bath solution, the mares were quick to thank her and realized she wasn’t an evil enchantress after all. Soon enough, Dusk and Twilight decided to bring Zecora to Ponyville and explain the truth with the ponies there.

At expected, the ponies who were outside were fearful when they saw Zecora; running all over the place and going back indoors. Luckily, the stallion and unicorn manage to convince everypony about Zecora’s true nature and get them to accept her who she is.


With the issue with Zecora’s presence in Ponyville positively resolved, Dusk and the others were now the town’s spa. For the stallion, this was a new experience for he never been into one before, even when he was still back on Earth.

Zecora was there to pour the cure into one of the spa pools, which mares were more than eager to go into.

“Miss Zecora, I would love to get the recipe for this bath. It's simply luxurious!”

One of the ponies working at the spa asked her. She had an azure blue coat, a rose-coloured mane and had a white lotus with pink outlines for a cutie mark.

Dusk was standing beside Apple Bloom; the two watched as the cure took effect and all the mares returned back to normal.

“Applejack! Hey, where's Applejack?” The filly worriedly asked, which the mares in the pool begun to panic, fearing that their tiny friend ended up getting submerged.

“Don’t worry, she’s fine.” Dusk quickly told everypony. “I prepared a bucket filled with warm water for her to use.”

“He’s right.”

They all turned to see was indeed Applejack, who near the pool and was back to her normal size. The side effect however that her flank was now stuck inside the bucket.

“I'm right here, little sis. I ain't tiny no more!” She said before gazing upon Dusk. “As for you, we are going have a little chat on what it’s like being trapped in a pouch!”

Dusk made a nervous laugh since he knew it would take some effort in getting Applejack to go easy on him.

“Oh! I have never felt so lovely in all my life!” Rarity was deeply relieved that her coat and mane were back as it was use to be.

“Oh, my gosh! I never realized how horrible it is not to be able to talk!” As for Pinkie, she was very happy that she could speak normally again. “I mean, I love talking so much, and when I couldn't talk anymore, my tongue was all 'ehhhh'! It was the worst! Don't you agree, Fluttershy?”

“Yes.” The shy pegasus politely replied in her normal voice, which made everypony and even Zecora laugh.

Dusk only smiled happily that everything today was going to end in a good note.

His friends were back to normal, Zecora became their newest friend and he put a stop to another evil Number before it wreaked havoc.

PreviousChapters Next