• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,998 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,998

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 4 [Extra] - Twilight's Spellbooks

Outside the library, Dusk and Twilight took their positions as the latter placed the duel disk on her left hoof. Since Dusk already explained its functions back at Canterlot, she has a good understanding how everything worked.

Applejack, Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie were standing near the entrance as they anticipate was about to come.

“Ah finally!”

They soon joined with Spike and were relieved when they saw he isn’t holding onto the muffins anymore. The baby dragon was rather excited of seeing the images created by the duel disks up close.

While Spike watched Twilight and Dusk duel, it was using game mats and the only time he seen the holograms was when the stallion dueled Grey Wing. He was however high up in the tower throughout the duel occurred, so he never got to see the holograms close up.

While he heard about Dusk dueling Number 22 and Number 40 during the day they arrived at Ponyville, he never had a chance to see either of them.

“So Spike, just how good is she in playing Duel Monsters?” Dash ask the baby dragon.

“Oh, Twilight could hold her against Dusk, but she never won against him when he gets serious. The only times she won is when Dusk is going easy on her and using a deck of random cards.”

“Well, Dusk know every bit about the game after all.” Applejack said as she and others turned Dusk and Twilight, who were activating their duel disks. “Looks like it is about to start.”

“Hope you are ready Twilight. Don’t expect me to go easy because you are my friend.”

“Not to worry. I am confident that I will best you this time Dusk.”

With their duel disks to emit their usual glow, the computerized voice soon made its announcement.

“Solid Reality Vision Link established.”

Moments later, the holographic screens displaying their respective pictures and Life Points appeared above their heads.

“DUEL!” Dusk and Twilight called out as the former drew his cards while the latter used her magic to drew her own, which acted as her “hoof” as she levitated the cards in front of her.


[Dusk’s Life Points: 8000]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Life Points: 8000]

[Turn 1: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 5]
[Twilight’s Cards in Hoof: 5]

“I will take the first turn. I draw!”

Upon drawing his card, Dusk examined his hoof and made his move.

“I summon Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki in Attack mode.”

The four-armed samurai appeared on Dusk’s field with its weapons ready. Twilight recognize the monster since she watched Dusk duel for the first time.

[Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki] [ATK: 200] [DEF: 2000] [Level: 3]

“If Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki is Normal Summoned, I can Special Summon a Level 4 or lower "Six Samurai" monster from my hoof.”
Dusk stated its effect as he then played another card.

“Through Kageki’s effect, I Special Summon Legendary Six Samurai – Enishi in Attack mode.”

To the left of Kageki appeared a fellow samurai in a aggressive stance, wearing green armor and wielding a nodachi.

[Legendary Six Samurai – Enishi] [ATK: 1700] [DEF: 700] [Level: 4]

“Not only that, Kageki gains 1500 ATK if I control another face-up "Six Samurai" monster with a different name.”

Kageki was covered in an electric aura as its ATK rose up.

[Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki] [ATK: 200 (+)> 1700]

“I set two cards face-down and end my turn.” Dusk set two cards into his duel disk and gestured to Twilight to start.”

“He is using that Samurai deck.” Applejack noted, which she and the others remembered the time when Dusk duelled against Lyra possessed by Number 22.

Spike merely look on in awe as he finally saw the holograms of the monsters in full detail.

“It is truly life-like isn’t it.”

“I’ll say Spike, but I am really want see what Twilight has in store.” Pinkie said as she gazes upon the unicorn.


[Turn 2: Twilight Sparkle]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 2]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 5]

“Alright, I draw.” Twilight drew a card using her magic, which levitated alongside with the rest of her cards.”

“Hope you are ready Dusk because I play the Field Spell, The Grand Spellbook Tower.”

Placing the card into the slot that opened to the right of the duel disk, the entirety of Ponyville was changed as the houses became large modern structures. The most astonishing thing was that behind Twilight was a vast unique-looking tower that stretches to the sky and had strange objects circling around the spire.

“What the…?!” Dash yelled out as she saw Ponyville disappear before her eyes and the feeling was shared with her friends. While they seen what a Field Spell could do, they never expected it to change the very environment itself.

“Don’t worry, it is all just an illusion.” Spike reassured the mares.

“You know about this Spike.” Fluttershy asked the baby dragon.

“Of course, I was there when Dusk dueled Grey Wing in Canterlot.” The mares soon remembered what Twilight told them during the Summer Sun Celebration over a week ago.

“He played his own Field Spell and changed all of Canterlot into what I saw as a rundown forest. It was only when the Field Spell left the field when everything returned back to normal.”

Spike explained as he and others soon notice a crowd slowly building up to the left of Dusk and Twilight.

“With a Field Spell like that, we are definitely going to get everypony’s attention.”

Dusk then turned to the crowd as they murmuring what was going on. “Don’t panic everypony. What is happening now is just an illusion and all your homes are intact.”

“Wait, are you…” One of the ponies notice what he and Twilight were doing.

“Yes, they are dueling!” Pinkie stated to the crowed. “Just a friendly game of Duel Monsters!”

“You are all free to watch if you want.” Twilight said as she then played a card.

“Now then Dusk, I summon Amores of Prophecy in Defense mode.”

On her field then appeared a green-haired man with a ponytail and he wore an ornate outfit with a blindfold. In his left hand was a bow which red symbols of different types circle around it.

The monster then kneeled down and used his bow as a makeshift shield.

[Amores of Prophecy] [ATK: 600] [DEF: 2000] [Level: 3]

All the ponies showed some amazement upon seeing Twilight’s monster. Rarity however had ideas popping up in her head after seeing Amores’s outfit.

“What a remarkable design…”

“I activate Amores’s special effect.” Twilight called out. “Once per turn, I can reveal a "Spellbook" Spell Card in hoof to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Spellcaster-Type monster.”

“Spellbooks?” Dash said as she remembered the name of Twilight’s Field Spell. “Dusk, I know Twilight is a bookworm, but didn’t expect you to go so far to personalize Twilight’s deck.”

The crowd were surprised to hear that Dusk actually made a deck for Twilight, which the stallion merely smiled.

“It is how I am.” He said before he turned back to Twilight. “So, what “Spellbook” are you going to show me.”

Twilight then raised one of her cards and flipped it over, which Dusk saw it was Spellbook Organization.

“Now I can Special Summon Hermit of Prophecy in Attack mode.” Twilight then played another card.

Soon, an old bearded magician wielding an elegant staff appeared on her field as blue symbols encircled around him. His outfit was a purple robe and pointed hat which as ornate as Amores.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 1200] [DEF: 700] [Level: 3]

The ponies in the crowd look in awe at the ongoing duel. While worried that Dusk was dealing with another possessed pony like what happen to Lyra over a week ago, they were relieved to hear it was just a friendly match.

There were those in the crowd who were more interested what kind of cards Dusk give to Twilight.

“Now I play Spellbook Library of the Crescent.” Twilight stated as a rift opened above and revealed a darkened pillared room. In the center of the room was a crescent moon and was surrounded by small objects that are similar to the ones around the Tower.

“If I have no "Spellbook" Spell Cards in my Graveyard, I reveal three "Spellbook" Spell Cards with different names from my Deck and you have to randomly pick one of them to add to my hoof.”

Twilight took out her deck and after a quick look, took out three cards and revealed them to Dusk.

The stallion saw that the cards the unicorn chose were Spellbook Star Hall, Spellbook of Wisdom and Spellbook of Power.

Twilight then flipped the cards over and briefly shuffled them before separating them.

“Pick one Dusk.”

She gestured to her cards, which showed only the back and prevented the stallion which was which.

“I pick the center card.” Dusk pointed to the specified card, which Twilight then added it to her “hoof”.

“I then placed the other two cards back to my deck and shuffle.” The unicorn then shuffled the other two cards back to her deck and returned it back to her duel disk.

“For the rest of the turn though, I can only activate "Spellbook" Spell Cards, but since I played a “Spellbook” Spell Card, Hermit’s special effect now activates.” Twilight gestured to the magician as the symbols around glowed in power.

“Every time a “Spellbook" Spell Card is activated, Hermit’s Level goes up by 2 and it ATK goes up by 300.”

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 1200 (+)> 1500] [Level: 3 (+)> 5]

“Oh, Twilight’s Hermit still isn’t strong enough to go up against Dusk’s monsters.” Fluttershy said worriedly.

“Don’t worry.” Applejack said. “Twilight always have a plan of some sort.”

“Next I play Spellbook Organization, which I look at the top 3 cards of my Deck then return them to the top in any order.”

Twilight drew her cards from her deck and Dusk notice that she moved the first card to third and the moved the third card to first.

“Don’t you think you went too far in personalizing her deck?” Dash noted as Twilight placed her cards back on the top of her deck in their new positions. “We all know she loves reading, but for you to add a card related to organizing...”

Dusk merely chuckled as he kept his attention on Twilight as he knew what was coming next.

“Since another “Spellbook" Spell Card was activated, Hermit’s Level and ATK goes up again.” Hermit on Twilight’s field gained more power as the symbols around him glowed once again.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 1500 (+)> 1800] [Level: 5 (+)> 7]

“Now Hermit is strong enough.” Applejack stated to her friends as they saw that Twilight’s monster now could overpower Dusk’s own.

“Now Hermit! Attack Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki!”

Hermit of Prophecy chanted in incantation as magic begun to build around his staff. Soon, he pointed the staff at Kageki and unleashed an orb of energy, which engulfed the samurai and destroyed him.

Dusk braced himself as he was the first in the duel to take damage.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 8000 (-)> 7900]

“Alright, Twilight has taken the lead!” Pinkie cheered out along with the crowd.

“That may be, but it is far from over.” Dash said as she notice Dusk pointed to one of his face-downs.

“Trap Card open! Shien's Scheme!” Dusk called out as the card flipped up and the picture shimmered.

“If a "Six Samurai" monster I control is destroyed by battle, I am able to Special Summon up to two "Six Samurai" monsters from my hoof.”

“Two more monsters?” Twilight yelped out as the stallion then placed his monsters onto his duel disk.

“Appear, The Six Samurai – Irou and The Six Samurai – Yariza!”

Irou, the same blindfolded samurai that Twilight saw back at Canterlot appeard on Dusk’s field.

[The Six Samurai - Irou] [ATK: 1700] [DEF: 1200] [Level: 4]

While she saw Dusk played Yariza during their practices, she never seen him as a hologram before. He wore dark blue armor with a cable attached to side, which was connected the yari spear he wields.

[The Six Samurai - Yariza] [ATK: 1000] [DEF: 500] [Level: 3]

“None of your monsters are strong enough to beat Hermit though.” Twilight stated the oblivious, but Dusk chuckled instead.

“I activate one of Enishi’s special effects.” The stallion pointed to the samurai. “If I control 2 or more face-up "Six Samurai" monsters excluding Enishi, it gains 500 ATK and DEF.”

“What?” Twilight was shocked as Enishi was surrounding by bright aura as he raised his blade.

[Legendary Six Samurai – Enishi] [ATK: 1700 (+)> 2200] [DEF: 700 (+)> 1200]

“Well, it looks like Dusk will make a comeback on the next turn.” Dash said while the crowd chatted amongst themselves of the Twilight’s setback.

“Okay, I place a card face-down and end my turn.” She then placed her last card into her duel disk.


[Turn 3: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 0]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 0]

“Dusk and Twilight don’t have any cards in their hooves.” Applejack said. “Looks like it comes to the luck of the draw from here.”

“It is now my turn. Draw!” Dusk drew his card and looked at Twilight’s face-down.

‘That is no doubt the card I chose for her when she activated Spellbook Library of the Crescent. Don’t know what exactly it is though, but I have to risk it.’

He then pointed to Hermit of Prophecy. “Enishi! Destroy the Hermit!” The samurai then dashed towards the magician and jumped into the air to deliver a overhead slash.

However, Twilight wasn’t startled and quickly pointed to her face-down. “I activate my face-down.”

The card flipped upwards and Dusk gasped in surprise upon seeing it.

“Of all the cards I have to select, I had to be Spellbook of Power.”

Twilight giggled at his response. “Sorry, but that is how it is. When Spellbook of Power is activated, I target one Spellcaster-Type monster I control.”

Soon, an orange crystal-like book with almost transparent pages appeared in front of Hermit and he grabbed it. Upon opening it, he then was surrounded by fiery aura much caught the attention of all the ponies.

“Until the End Phase, my monster gains an additional 1000 ATK!” Twilight said as the crowd gasped upon seeing the aura around the magician grow in size.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 1800 (+)> 2800]

“Woah!” Rarity was startled by the powerful fiery aura emitting from the magician. Even if it is just an illusion, it looked like the real thing to her.

“Since another “Spellbook” Spell Card was played, Hermit’s special effect also activates.” Twilight smiled as her magician got even stronger.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 2800 (+)> 3100] [Level: 7 (+)> 9]

“What? Would that mean…” Fluttershy muttered as Enishi delivered the blow, but Hermit repelled him with his staff.

Muttering a quick incantation, the empowered magician unleashed a large orb of fire which struck the airborne samurai and destroyed him.

“Ah!” Dusk felt the blast from the attack as his Life Points drop for the second time in a row.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 7900 (-)> 7000]

“Not only that Dusk.” Twilight said as she took out her deck. “When a monster affected by Spellbook of Power destroyed a monster in battle, I can add one "Spellbook" Spell Card from my Deck to my hoof.”

She then took a card out of her deck and returned the latter back to her duel disk.

“What a surprise! Twilight is staying a step ahead of Dusk!” Pinkie stated out, effectively being the announcer for the duel.

“Don’t underestimate Dusk.” Spike said as he remembered the practice duels that Twilight had with the stallion. “He always a knack for turning things around.”

When the mares turned to Dusk and wasn’t fazed by his setbacks.

“You want a surprise Pinkie, how about this?”

Dusk pointed to Yariza as the samurai prepared his spear, which didn’t escape Twilight’s attention.

“What are you doing? Yariza can’t take on Hermit!”

“He is not going to attack Hermit. He is going to attack you Twilight!”

Her eyes widened as she remembered the card’s effect.

The samurai jumped into the air and threw his yari. Despite the weapon phasing through her as it was a hologram, the unicorn nevertheless felt the impact as her Life Points finally dropped.

[Twilight Sparkle’s Life Points: 8000 (-)> 7000]

“Wha… How?!” Dash yelled out as Yariza grabbed his cable and pulled his yari back to him just before he touched the ground. “How did you do that Dusk?”

“Yariza’s special effect.” Dusk said. “While I control a face-up "Six Samurai" monster with a different name, he can attack my opponent directly. Which means that even if Twilight has monsters on the field, Yariza would just bypass them.”

Twilight shook her body as she recovered from the attack.

“I forgot how troublesome that card is…”

“Now you know. I end my turn and with that, Hermit’s ATK returns back to normal.” Dusk said as the fiery aura around the magician slowly vanish.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 3100 (-)> 2100]


[Turn 4: Twilight Sparkle]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 1]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 1]

“Looks like Dusk and Twilight are now even.” Pinkie said.

“Its my turn. I draw.” Twilight she drew the card and then pointed to her Field Spell.

“I activate Grand Spellbook Tower’s special effect. Once per turn, if I have a Spellcaster-Type monster either on my field or in my Graveyard, I can take a “Spellbook” Spell Card from my Graveyard and put to the bottom of my deck.”

A card slipped out of her Graveyard slot and she moved it to the bottom of her deck. “After that, I draw one card.”

Looking at the card she drew, Twilight smiled and played it. “I activate Spellbook of Secrets.”

A book similar to Spellbook of Power appeared on the field, but it was white instead. It flipped a all its pages before vanishing.

“With its effect, I can add one “Spellbook” card from my deck and add it to my hoof.”

Twilight again took out her deck, took out the card she wanted and placed the deck back in place.

Dusk notice though that the card she took was the one at the bottom of her deck.

“Okay, just how many card related to books does Twilight have in her deck?” Dash said with a raised eyebrow.

“Must be plenty.” Applejack told her friend. “Then again, those cards making that magician of hers stronger.”

“Since I played another “Spellbook” Spell, Hermit’s effects activate once more.” The crowd looked at awe at Twilight’s Hermit as the symbols around him seems to glow ever brighter with every “Spellbook” played.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 2100 (+)> 2400] [Level: 9 (+)> 11]

‘Is this going to be Twilight’s plan?’ Dusk mentally noted. ‘Is she just going to keep playing “Spellbook” cards to constantly power up Hermit?”

“Next, I play Spellbook of Knowledge.” Now on Twilight’s field appeared another Spellbook. It was red yet it did the same routine as the Spellbook of Secrets.

“To activate it, I send Amores to the Graveyard…” Twilight gestured to the specified monster as he vanished in a flash of light. “Now I can draw two more cards from my deck and as you expect, Hermit’s effect activates.”

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 2400 (+)> 2700] [Level: 11 (+)> 12]

Everypony begun to cheer for Twilight for she not only has the field advantage, but she also has the hoof advantage.

“Now I summon Spellbook Magician of Prophecy in Defense mode.” A young magician wearing a blue ornate robe and hat appeared on her field kneeling.

[Spellbook Magician of Prophecy] [ATK: 500] [DEF:400] [Level: 2]

“Are you okay Rarity?” Flutershy asked the unicorn, who was looking closely at Twilight’s new monster.”

“Of course I am! Just look at their outfits!” Rarity pointed to the magicians. “The design! The style! If I were to redesign them for a pony…”

The rest of her friends didn’t know what to Rarity, but they mentally wish her luck in designing which would be a rather unique line of clothing.

“When this monster is successfully Normal Summon, I can add a “Spellbook” Spell Card from my deck to my hoof.”

“You are not going to stop throwing Spellbooks at me, aren’t you Twilight?” Dusk said as the unicorn took the card she wanted from her deck.

“Well, you were the one who made this deck after all. And I hope you handle another Spellbook of Power.”

Twilight then played the spell as the orange Spellbook reappeared in front of Hermit and he was enveloped in the same fiery aura as before.

“Hermit not only gains 1000 ATK, but his special effect activates as well.”

Hermit’s power rose to new heights, but his Level remained the same for it has reached its maximum.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 2700 (+)> 3700 (+)> 4000]

“Look at that, Dusk is indeed about to get a big whooping!”

Pinkie yelled as everypony were shocked of how powerful Twilight’s monster became in a few turns.

“How’s this? Hermit will now attack Yariza!” The magician chanted and then launched an orb of fire towards the samurai.

“Sorry Twilight, but that is not going to happen. I activate Yariza’s effect! Irou!”

The ponies were astonished to see the blindfolded samurai move front of Yariza and took the blow from Hermit, which resulted in his destruction.

Dusk however still felt the blast of the attack and the damage inflicted to him. He also fell to the ground, but was able to retain his balance.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 7000 (-)> 4000]

“It is like before…” Twilight muttered, recalling the duel back at Canterlot.

“Indeed. All my “Six Samurai monsters” such as Yariza all share a certain effect. If Yariza would be destroyed, I can choose to destroy another face-up "Six Samurai" monster I control instead.”

Dusk stated as the smoke cleared and showed that Yariza still remain standing due to Irou’s sacrifice.

“It is like the bond between close friends, where they would risk even their lives to protect one another from harm.”

Everypony felt moved from Dusk’s words while his friends each made a warm smile, remembering how the stallion chose to sacrificed his prized possession to Number 40 to ensure their safety.

“Your deck is really something Dusk.” Twilight said.

“No doubt it is.” Dusk replied. “However, since Hermit failed to destroy a monster in battle, the second effect of Spellbook of Power doesn’t activate.”

“I guess I’ll set a card face-down then.” The unicorn then placed a face-down. “I end my turn.”

Soon, Spellbook of Power wore off and Hermit’s ATK dropped back to normal.

[Hermit of Prophecy] [ATK: 4000 (-)> 3000]


[Turn 5: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 1]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 2]

“It’s my turn. Draw.” Dusk looked at his card and played it.

“I activate Pot of Greed, which I can draw two more cards.”

Drawing his cards, he examined them and smiled, seeing it was time to turn the duel to his favor.

“I am impressed Twilight. You manage to not only get Hermit this strong by just using its effect, but to also push me back like this.” Dusk complimented before smirking. “But its time for the reversal.”

It was then he played the card he drew. “I summon Tuner monster, Kagemusha of the Six Samurai in Defense mode.”

The green armored warrior appeared on Dusk’s field as he kneeled down with his spear ready to block.

[Kagemusha of the Six Samurai] [ATK: 400] [DEF: 1800] [Level: 2]

“Tuner monster?” Pinkie questioned, which was equally shared with her friends and the crowd of ponies.

Only Twilight and Spike knew what it was; the former’s eyes widen as she realizes of Dusk’s intention.

“You are going to…”

“Indeed Twilight. I’m tuning my Level 2 Kagemusha of the Six Samurai to my Level 3 The Six Samurai - Yariza!”

Everypong watched as Kagemusha and Yariza jumped high into the air; the former jumped much higher than the latter.

They were surprised to see Kagemusha turned into two stars, which then made a pair of glowing green rings. Yariza move into the rings until stopping at the center, which he turned into three stars and formed a straight line within the rings.

“What is going on?” Dash muttered as she can’t help but look at the spectacle.

Her attention soon turned to Dusk as she and the others notice he begun to make a chant.

“Never yield against the unrelenting storm! Witness power born through unity!”

The ponies when then startled upon seeing a pillar of light shot through the rings. The light engulfed the stars and soon expanded to the rings.

“Synchro Summon! Stand Strong! Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En!”

The crimson armored samurai appeared from the pillar of light and descended onto the ground with its wings with his katana drawn.

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 2500] [DEF: 1400] [Level: 5]

“Woah…” Spike muttered as he finally got to see Shi En close up at last. He would never forget the monster that lead Dusk to victory against Grey Wing and rescued Twilight.

“That… That…” Dash slowly said before she jumped into air in excitement. “That was so cool! Did you see how fast that beam of light moved and how that monster appeared from it?!”

“I know! It was amazing!” Pinkie was just as joyous as Dash in seeing the Synchro Summon and jumped into the air.

“Well, seeing how attention-grabbing that was...” Applejack said as looked at the awe-stricken crowd. “That so-called Synchro Summon reminded of you, Rainbow Dash.”

Back at the duel, Twilight gazes upon the samurai that helped Dusk in defeating Grey Wing. “It been a while saw Shi En, but he doesn’t have enough ATK to defeat Hermit.”

Dusk made a light laugh as a reply. “I know and that is why I have saving this Trap for this occasion.”

He then pointed to his one of his face-downs. “I activate the Trap, Fiery Fervor!”

After flipping upwards, a fiery vortex emerged from the card and surrounded Shi En as he made a battle cry.

“What is going on?” Twilight was startled as she looked upon Shi En’s fiery form with his eye burning brightly.

“When activated, Fiery Fervor equip itself to a face-up monster I control. When my opponent controls a monster with ATK higher than that the equipped monster's original ATK, its ATK becomes double the its original ATK during the Damage Step.” Dusk explained.

“That would mean…” The unicorn realizes that since Hermit has higher ATK than Shi En, the latter would gain double ATK if they battle.

“Yes. Shi En, attack Hermit of Prophecy with Fiery Blue Flame Strike!”

Empowered by the Equip Trap, Shi En’s katana became embedded with flames as he charged at the Hermit.

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 2500 (+)> 5000]

Instinctively, Twilight ended up activating her face-down.

“I activate Spellbinding Circle! As long this card remains on the field, a monster you control cannot attack or change position and I choose Shi En!”

As the card flipped up, a magical circular seal emerged from it and flew towards Shi En as he was charging.

“Oh, looks like Twilight is still a step ahead of Dusk!” Pinkie call out before she notices Spike facepalm his forehead. “What is wrong Spike?”

“I can’t believe Twilight just wasted that card.” He said, which caught the mares’ attention.

“Why is that?” Rarity asked before looking back at the duel and at Twilight.

“Wait, what is with Twilight?” She said and the others turned to the unicorn, who now had a horrified expression.

“No, wait!” Twilight cried as she just remembered Shi En’s effect and realized her mistake.

“Too late Twilight!” Dusk stated as he pointed to Shi En. “You activated Shi En’s special effect. Once per turn, when my opponent activates a Spell or Trap Card, I can negate the activation and destroy it!”

Everypony gasped as Shi En cleaved the magical seal in half before it struck him, which shattering it into many pieces. Upon reaching Hermit, the magician tried to fight back yet the samurai merely slice though his spells. Delivering a horizontal slash on Hermit’s chest, Shi En jumped back to Dusk’s field before the magician exploded.

As the battle was over, Shi En’s ATK return back to its original state.

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 5000 (-)> 2500]

Twilight however not only lost a powerful monster, but also a significant amount of her Life Points.

[Twilight Sparkle’s Life Points: 7000 (-)> 5000]

“Oh my.” Fluttershy muttered seeing Twilight losing her advantage.

“That is what I call a reversal!” Dash said as she was in awe at Dusk regaining the initiative in the duel.

“Twilight, how did you forget about Shi En’s effect?” Spike said to the unicorn. “We both seen it before.”

“I don’t know. Dusk didn’t use it during practice and I… uh…” Twilight always had good memory, but she couldn’t find the right words to explain this blunder.

“If you knew, you would have saved Spellbinding Circle for a turn when Shi En wasn’t able to use his effect.” Dusk lectured her. “Try not to forget next time Twilight. I set a card face-down and I end my turn.”


[Turn 6: Twilight Sparkle]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 1]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 2]

“Its my turn now, but thanks for the advice. I draw.” Twilight said as she draws her card, trying to think of a way to make up for her mistake.

“I activate Grand Spellbook Tower’s effect. I return a “Spellbook” Spell card to the bottom of my deck and draw one card.

After doing just that, Twilight looked at her newly drawn card and smiled as she saw her chance to make her own reversal.

“I reveal three “Spellbook” Spell cards to you Dusk.” The unicorn flipped over three of the four cards she has and the stallion saw it was Spellbook of Wisdom and two Spellbook of the Master.

“Why would Twilight do that?” Applejack said. “Wouldn’t that help Dusk know what she is going to do next?”

The crowd begun to chatter at what Twilight’s intention of showing most of her cards, which she merely smiled.

“By doing this, I can now Special Summon High Priestess of Prophecy in Attack mode!”

“What?!” Everypony yelled out as a female magician appeared on her field. She wore a very ornate white outfit and bright aqua symbols circle around her.

[High Priestess of Prophecy] [ATK: 2500] [DEF: 2100] [Level: 7]

“Another marvelous outfit!” Rarity said with stars in her eyes upon seeing Twilight’s new monster. Her friends however remained focused on the duel.

“I now activate High Priestess of Prophecy’s special effect. By banishing one "Spellbook" Spell Card in my hoof or Graveyard, I can destroy a card on the field!”

Dusk’s eyes widened as he knew what her target was as a card slipped out of Twilight’s Graveyard and she put it away.

“Say goodbye to Shi En!” Twilight called out as the High Priestess chanted an incantation, which the same aqua symbols around her then appeared around the samurai.

Shi En groaned as his body begun to become enveloped by an aqua-coloured aura and when the magician finished her chanting, the samurai exploded into nothing.

Since Shi En was destroyed, Fiery Fervor on the field was also destroyed; the card shattering into pieces.

The ponies gasped at Twilight’s own reversal, which left Dusk’s field wide open.

“Wow! After her blunder last turn, Twilight just regained the advantage!” Pinkie called out as the ponies cheered for the unicorn. “However, its not over yet!”

“Indeed…” Dusk muttered as he knew he was open for a direct attack.

“I am not sure about your face-down, but I am sure it is a Trap.” Twilight looked at the stallion’s last face-down and she played one of her cards. “I play Spellbook of Wisdom.”

An aqua-coloured Spellbook appeared in front of the High Priestess and it opened by itself. Gazing upon the flipping pages, the magician was soon imbued with new power.

“For this turn, High Priestess of Prophecy can either be unaffected by Spells or Traps and choose Traps.” Twilight said as she then played another card. “Next is Spellbook of the Master.”

A dark blue Spellbook appeared before the magician and the same thing occurred, but she was instead covered by a darkish aura.

“If you control a Spellcaster-Type monster, I can reveal one other "Spellbook" card in my hoof.”

Twilight revealed once again the other Spellbook of the Master in her “hoof”.

“Now I target 1 "Spellbook" Normal Spell Card in my Graveyard and this card's effect becomes the targeted card’s effect. The card I am choosing is Spellbook of Power.

The aura covering the High Priestess of Prophecy soon became fiery as the spell is now coping the effect of Spellbook of Power.

[High Priestess of Prophecy] [ATK: 2500 (+)> 3500]

‘This is gonna suck.” Dusk mentally noted as Twilight prepare to attack him directly.

“High Priestess of Prophecy! Direct Attack!”

The magician chanted as a trio of large magical orbs slowly appear above her head. Stretching her arms towards Dusk, the orbs were soon fired and engulfed the stallion in an explosion.

“Agh!” The blast was strong enough to push Dusk to the ground.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 4000 (-)> 500]

The crowd of ponies grew ecstatic seeing Twilight take a massive lead in the duel. She smiled when she turned to her friends and saw they were cheering for her.

“Incredible, Twilight!” Pinkie cried out. “There is no doubt she has this duel in the bag.”

“I don’t believe it. Looks like Twilight might actually beat Dusk.” Spike said.

“I think Dusk might have taught Twilight a bit too much.” Fluttershy stated out.

“It is more like the student surpassing the teacher.” Applejack smiled.

“Wait a minute…” Dash felt something wasn’t right. “Why didn’t you use that other Spellbook Twilight? You would have beaten Dusk.”

The crowd soon realized that the peagsus was correct for they also saw Twilight’s second Spellbook of the Master.

“Dash is right.” Rarity agreed. “If you used it and copied that Spellbook of Power like before, then you would have won.”

Twilight however shook her head. “Unfortunately, that isn’t possible. Spellbook of the Master’s effect also states it can only be used once per turn.”

She turned her gaze to the Dusk, who was getting up and shaking himself. “I end my turn Dusk.”


[Turn 7: Dusk]
[Dusk’s Cards in Hoof: 1]
[Twilight Sparkle’s Cards in Hoof: 1]

“Of all the duels we had since last week, this is the first time you actually pushed me to the corner.” Dusk said proudly as he looked at the unicorn with a smile. “Seeing how you picked up everything I told you about Duel Monsters in such short time makes me very happy.”

“Thank you Dusk.” Twilight replied. “I know you said that you think of yourself not much of teacher, but you were always patient and provided me with tips whenever I need it. I think you have potential to be great teacher in the future.”

Dusk smiled after hearing her compliment, but knew the duel was not over yet.

“I appreciate what you say about me, but I will state once more that you have a long way to defeat to me. Draw!”

Dusk drew his card and smirked after seeing what it was.

“Watch closely Twilight and see what one can do if they place their faith in their cards.”

He said as he pointed to his last face-down. “I activate Backs to the Wall.” The card flipped up and revealed it was a Trap Card.

“First I pay until I have 100 Life Points left.” Many ponies gasped as Dusk was essentially giving up much of his Life Points, which is already very little.

[Dusk’s Life Points: 500 (-)> 100]

“Now, I can Special Summon as many “Six Samurai” monsters as possible from my Graveyard.” Dusk stated which caused to ponies to gasp even louder than before.

“What?!” Twilight cried as five cards slipped out of Dusk’s Graveyard and filled in all his Monster slots on his duel disk.

“Return my samurais!” Dusk yelled as his field was soon filled with the monsters he played throughout this duel. Their weapons were drawn and were prepared for essentially was the final battle.

Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki] [ATK: 200] [DEF: 2000] [Level: 3]

[Legendary Six Samurai – Enishi] [ATK: 1700] [DEF: 700] [Level: 4]

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 2500] [DEF: 1400] [Level: 5]

[The Six Samurai - Irou] [ATK: 1700] [DEF: 1200] [Level: 4]

[The Six Samurai - Yariza] [ATK: 1000] [DEF: 500] [Level: 3]

“Woah…” Spike muttered as he never seen Dusk summon so many monsters in a single turn. “I guess that why that card is called Backs to the Wall…”

The mares didn’t say a word, but mentally agreed with the baby dragon. It was indeed a card that would Dusk a chance at victory even at the verge of defeat.

“Since I have already a diverse number of “Six Samurai” monsters on the field, the effects of Kageki and Enishi now activates.”

The two samurais in question gained their respective boost in their stats.

[Legendary Six Samurai – Kageki] [ATK: 200 (+)> 1700]

[Legendary Six Samurai – Enishi] [ATK: 1700 (+)> 2200] [DEF: 700 (+)>1200]

“Now I play Blustering Winds, which until my next Standby Phase, increase 1000 ATK and DEF of a monster I control and I chose Shi En.”

A gust of wind soon appeared and encircled Shi En’s body, empowering him.

[Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En] [ATK: 2500 (+)> 3500] [DEF: 1400 (+)> 2400]

“I don’t believe it…” The unicorn was shocked of Dusk’s reversal just as she was about defeat him.

“Sorry Twilight, but this duel is mine. Shi En! Attack the High Priestess!”

Shi En charged at the magician with his katana infused with wind. The High Priestess tried to repel him with her magic, but the crimson samurai broke through and cleaved her across the chest.

“Ugh!” Twilight covered her eyes as her monster was destroyed.

[Twilight Sparkle’s Life Points: 5000 (-)> 4000]

“Its not over yet! Yariza! Attack Spellbook Magician of Prophecy!”

Yariza jumped into the air and threw his yari at the kneeling magician which pierced through his chest; his form breaking into pieces of light.

“Now for the climax! Kageki! Enishi! Irou! Direct Attack!”

The remaining samurai rushed Twilight and hit her with their weapons. Hologram or not, the unicorn was ultimately knocked to the ground in defeat.

[Twilight Sparkle’s Life Points: 4000 (-)> 2300 (-)> 100 (-)> 0]


[Winner: Dusk]

Everypony were in shock to see the outcome of the duel. Many thought Twilight would be the winner, but Dusk changed everything on the last turn.

In truth, they didn’t favor one duelist and were more into the duel itself and how entertaining it was. The crowd erupted into a loud cheer while the holograms begun to disappear and Ponyville reappeared once more.

“Dusl Disk off.” Dusk as the duel disk vanished from his left hoof after he took out his deck.

He moves up to Twilight and helped her back up on her hooves. “You put up a good duel Twilight.”

“I know.” The unicorn sighed, but with a smile. “But I was hoping to at least win a duel against you at your best.”

“I had many years of practice and I had my share of duels before coming to Equestria.”

The stallion stated, but he then reassured Twilight.

“However, you had really had me back there despite only having a week’s practice. I see you have the potential to be a great duelist if you still wish to play Duel Monsters.”

Twilight was about to say something, but she was interrupted by Spike who approached with the rest of their friends in two; all giving praise to how the duel went.

“That was an awesome you two. I was hoping you would beat Dusk, but you nevertheless did good Twilight.”

“Wow! You and Dusk were amazing! Now I am really interested in having my own deck!” Pinkie yelled in an excited tone.

“Look at the crowd! You drove them all wild! Why can’t I grab their attention like you two did?” Dash pointed to the still jubilant crowd.

“Well, I am sure you can if you play Duel Monsters like Twilight here.” Applejack said, smiling at the unicorn. “You were so close in beating Dusk.”

“I’m glad you two had fun. Though I wish you played cute monsters.” Fluttershy timidly said.

“As for me, seeing the outfits that Twilight’s monsters just gave me ideas for on a new clothing design.” Rarity said happily.

Dusk and Twilight merely smiled at their friend’s reaction to the duel. While they would no doubt going to get plenty of questions for the next few days, it was still a good way to end a otherwise complicated day.

PreviousChapters Next