• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,999 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,999

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 6 [Part 1] - Boastful Performance

A week have passed since Gilda came to Ponyville and the incident involving Number 60. While the griffon has already denatured town, it was a relief to everypony that she left on good terms with Rainbow Dash.

Half Coin also left Ponyville, where he would travel to other places to see if they are anypony in need of his skills. However, the pegasus promised that he would come to Ponyville again in the future.

Before he left though, Dusk presented the pegasus Number 60’s card and told him it was his to keep. Many ponies were surprised, but saw it was reasonable since Half Coin was the one who defeated Number 60 in the duel. He was reluctant at first, but Half Coin soon agreed when Dusk stated he would need all the help he could get against any Number he may come across.

While everypony resumed their everyday lives since Half Coin and Gilda left Ponyville, Dusk was an exception. He was now giving Duel Monster lessons to Applejack, Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie.

After completing his friends’ respective decks and handing them over, Dusk attempted to setup a weekly timetable for lessons. Since each of the mares have different responsibilities and schedules, the stallion thought that tutoring them individually would be the best choice.

However, they all wished to learn Duel Monsters together and instead tried to make compromises with their respective schedules. After some discussion, everypony agreed that early in the evening would be perfect. By that time, they have would have already finished their tasks and would be free for the rest of the day.

Almost like a usual school routine, Applejack, Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie would meet up with Dusk on the weekdays. While Twilight already have good grasp on Duel Monsters, she sometimes come to the lectures to check up on her friends and see how Dusk handles himself.

Today however was start of the weekend, so there was going to be no lecture today and it was to the stallion’s relief.

“Thank eh... Celestia that it’s the weekened.”

Dusk muttered as he stretched his limbs after getting out of bed. Upon looking at the clock, it was close to 12:00 PM.

“I slept in.... Those lectures really took it out of me.”

He then recalled what he been doing the last five days. The stallion had no trouble teaching Duel Monsters to one pony, but he found teaching a whole group to be more tiring than he thought.

It was more troublesome when it came to the practical part of the lectures; using the decks first hoof.

While Rarity could use her magic to hold her cards, the Applejack, Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie did not have the same luxury. Since they didn’t have a Number to support them, they could “grip” the cards in the same manner as Dusk and Half Coin.

At first, the four tried to use their mouths, but it was impractical in a duel since they wouldn’t be able to see their cards or set them down properly. Dusk also frowned on this method since the cards would inevitably be damaged by their teeth and saliva.

Much to Dusk’s surprise, they were able to use their tails as an appendage to grab hold of their cards. Dash on the other hoof was able to overcome this issue by using her wings to pick up her cards and hold them.

It was troublesome at first, but the pegasus manage to get use to it. Fluttershy could do the same thing, but had more difficulty doing so.

As for Applejack and Pinkie, they asked Dusk if he could design something that could act as their “hand” while they use their tails to play their cards.

Seeing it was now the weekend, he would more than enough time to design a card holder for them.

“Maybe a good meal will get my brain running.” Dusk then left his room and went downstairs.

Upon coming down, he saw Twilight preparing a spell while Spike watched closely, standing near a mirror and a chart.

Much to Dusk’s surprise, a glow appeared on the baby dragon’s nose which a black mustache appeared.

“Ha ha! You did it!” Spike cheered as he looked at his mustache. “Growing magic, that's number twenty-five. Twenty-five different types of tricks and counting.”

Twilight only blushed upon hearing her assistant complimenting her.

“Well, you are quite skilled in magic after all Twilight.” The stallion said to the unicorn, which startled her.

“Oh Dusk, you’re finally awake.” She recovered quickly and smiled at him. “I was just practicing some trick with Spike.”

‘That is an understatement if I heard one.’ Dusk thought as he watched Spike looked at himself in the mirror before he turned to him.

“And I think this is the best trick so far. What do you think Dusk?”

“Well Spike... I think that mustache will get somepony’s attention one way or another.” Dusk offered his opinion.

“You said it.” Spike then looked back at the mirror. “Hello, Rarity. What's that? Aw, it's nothing, just my awesome mustache.”

“Really Spike?” Dusk sighed while Twilight made a amused smile. “Looks alone will not get Rarity’s attention.”

“Sorry, but Dusk is right Romeo. As attractive and enticing as you look, it's just for practice, and it's got to go.”

“Wait!” Spike protested as he covered his mustache, but it was in vain as it vanished without a trace. “Aw, rats…”

Dusk and Twilight merely made a friendly chuckle upon seeing his disappointment.


“Twenty-five, Twilight. Twenty-five different kinds of tricks and counting.”

“Spike, you already said that back at the library.”

After going out for lunch at a café, Dusk, Twilight and Spike were now taking a walk through Ponville.

“I know, but its amazing.” Spike stated proudly as he turned to Twilight. “I thought unicorns were only supposed to have a little magic that matches their special talents.”

“True, for ponies whose talents are for things like cooking or singing or math...” She replied back. “But what if a unicorn's special talent is magic?”

“Like you, Twilight, and you know a ton of magic.”

“Oh, Spike, stop. I'm sure there are lots of ponies right here in Ponyville that know just as much magic as me.”

“Even if that is true Twilight, you will be always an outstanding unicorn. One-of-a-kind I would dare say.”

Twilight can’t help but blushed after hearing Dusk’s compliment of her abilities.

“Gangway! Coming through!”

Turning to the direction of the voice, the three notices two unicorn colts rushing towards their position. Dusk, Twilight and Spike brace themselves for impact, but the stallion and unicorn were fine as the colts merely passed them.

The baby dragon on the other hoof wasn’t as lucky as he tackled by one of them. However, the colts didn’t stop in their tracks and Spike ended up going on a ride. Dusk and Twilight gave chase.

Spike managed to convince the two unicorn colts to stop, but he was flung forward by a few meters in the process.

‘I recognize these two.’ Dusk thought as he now got a good look at the two colts. One have a orange mane and opal coat while the other have a turquoise mane and amber coat. Their cutie marks were a pair of small scissors and a snail respectively.

“Ah. Its these two.” Due to his reputation, he became quite popular with colts and fillies in Ponyville. It was a challenge though to remember all their names by memory though, but he managed.

“Alright Snips, Snail. Just what is going on?”

“Dusk!” The two colts turned to him and were excited to see him, but they nevertheless answered his question.

“Didn’t you know? There's a new unicorn in town!” Snails said.

“Yeah! They say that she's got more magical powers than any other unicorn ever!” Snips followed up.

“Really?” Twilight was quite surprise to hear there is another unicorn with a greater talent in magic than her.

At the same time, Spike recovered and was now walking towards them.

“Aw, no way, that honor goes to Twilight here.” She blushed once more from Spike’s appraisal.

“Well, we’ll see if this unicorn as skilled as the two of you claim.” Dusk said to Snips and Snails. “Where is she?”

“She's in the town square. Come on!”

“Yeah! Come on! Whooo!”

With that, the colts soon ran off to the town square and Dusk, Twilight and Spike followed suit.

The three arrived in the square in less than a minute, they saw a large crowd has gathered in front of a carriage.

Since the crowd was packed, Dusk and Spike have to lightly push their way to front. By coincidence, Applejack, Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie were in the front as well.

At the same time, they all heard a loud voice coming from the carriage itself.

“Come one, come all! Come and witness the amazing magic of...” Everypony watched as the carriage then transforms into an elaborate stage. “...The Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Seconds later, a burst of glittering smoke appeared on the center of the stage and emerging from it was unicorn with a azure coat and pale blue mane. She was wearing a pointed hat and cloak, which were both purple and adorned with star patterns. While briefly visible, her cutie mark was a star wand with a light blue wave of magic to its right.

“Watch in awe as the Great and Powerful Trixie performs the most spectacular feats of magic ever witnessed by pony eyes!”

She exclaimed to the entire crowd in a dramatic tone as she stretched his front hooves to the air. The sound of trumpets then erupted from the stage along with a colourful spectacle of fireworks.

“Trixie is definitely an attention grabber...” Dusk noted. “But she is also full of herself.”

“Indeed. What boasting.” Rarity agreed with him.

“Come on, nopony's as magical as Twi... Oh!” Spike soon realized who he was talking to as he coughed. “Hey, Rarity, I, uh— Mustache!”

‘Really Spike?’ Dusk shook his head as he saw Spike quickly ran off.

“There's nothing wrong with being talented, is there?” Twilight approached the two ponies with a concern look.

“Nothin' at all...” Applejack said as she watches Trixie used her magic to make a bouquet of flowers appear. “Except when someone goes around showin' it off like a school filly with fancy new ribbons.”

“Just because one has the ability to perform lots of magic does not make one better than the rest of us.” Rarity said in agreement, which made Twilight feel uncomfortable.

“Especially when ya got me around being better than the rest of us.” Dash stated, but she made an awkward laugh when Applejack looked at her with disapproving eyes. “Eh, I mean, yeah, uh, magic shmagic. Boo!”

Trixie however didn’t take what Dash said lightly. “Well, well, well, it seems we have some neighsayers in the audience.”

“She made a pun...” Dusk had to hold back a laugh as the unicorn continue to boast about her abilities.

“Who is so ignorant as to challenge the magical ability of the Great and Powerful Trixie? Do they not know that they're in the presence of the most magical unicorn in all of Equestria?”

“Just who does she think she is?” Rarity said after she made a rashberry.

“Yeah! Since we all know that Twilight here is...” Much to Dusk’s surprise, Spike popped up back in the front again.

“Spike! Shhh!” Twilight however quickly silenced the baby dragon and pushed him out of the crowd. Wondering what was going on with her, Dusk secretly lean his ear towards the two.

“What? What's wrong?”

“You see the way they reacted to Trixie? I don't want anyone thinking I'm a show-off.”

‘So that’s why...’ Dusk now realized why the unicorn was being anxious as of now. At the same time, Trixie did the same routine with her pose, trumpets and fireworks.

After that, Dash flew to stage and was now face-to-face with the blue unicorn.

“So “Great and Powerful Trixie”. What makes you think you're so awesome, anyway?”

“Heh, why, only the Great and Powerful Trixie has magic strong enough to vanquish...” Trixie exclaimed dramatically. “The dreaded ursa major!”

More fireworks were fired as an image of a bear then appeared in the air.

Many ponies in the crowd were in awe of the claim, but Snips and Snails were now like completely starstruck.

“When all hope was lost, the ponies of Hoofington had no one to turn to, but the Great and Powerful Trixie stepped in, and with her awesome magic, vanquished the ursa major and sent it back to its cave deep within the Everfree Forest!”

‘Really?’ Dusk found such a claim to be unbelievable as he looked at the bear, where an image of Trixie now appeared and defeated it with her magic.

“That settles it.”

“Trixie truly is the most talented, the most magical, the most awesome unicorn in Ponyville.”

“No, in all of Equestria!”

Snips and Snails however completely took in every word Trixie said and believed what she did was true. Dusk only shook his head on how impressionable those two colts were.

It was at the same time Twilight sand Spike were back in the front.

“How do you know? You didn't see it!” Spike exclaimed; not liking Trixie’s claim one bit. “And besides, Twi...”

Twilight silenced him once again by literally zipping the baby dragon’s lips with her magic.

“It's true, my enthusiastic little admirers. Trixie is most certainly the best in Ponyville.”

Everypony in the crowd were silent as Dusk swore he heard a cricket chirping. He turned to his friends and saw that they all have unpleased expressions expect for Twilight.

“Don't believe the Great and Powerful Trixie?” She chuckled. “Well then, I hereby challenge you, Ponyvillians. Anything you can do, I can do better.”

Trixie boldly exclaimed to the crowd.

“Any takers? Anyone? Hmm? Or is Trixie destined to be the greatest equine who has ever lived!?”

Once again, she did her pose as the trumpets played and fireworks were launched from the stage.

“Okay... I’m reaching my limit here...” Dusk muttered as the unicorn on stage was now getting on his nerves.

Spike then unzipped his mouth as the spell Twilight casted on him wore off. Seconds later, he was now on his knees as he clung to the unicorn’s hooves.

“Please! She's unbearable! You gotta show her! You just gotta!” Spike cried as he begged Twilight to stand up to Trixie’s boasting.

“There's no way I'm going to use my magic now, Spike.” Twilight quietly refused. “Especially since...”

At the same time, Trixie was scanning the crowd before she gazes on Twilight. “Hmm, how about you?”

Twilight only gulped in response.


“Well, how about it? Hm?” The boastful unicorn questioned her. “Is there anything you can do that the Great and Powerful Trixie can't?”

“I...” Twilight couldn’t find the right words to say, but was relieved when Dusk stood up for her.

“Don’t... She isn’t interested in your so-called challenge.”

He and Trixie had something akin to a staring contest for a few seconds before the latter turned her attention to Applejack.

“Well, little hayseed?”

“That's it! I can't stand for no more of this!” With that, the farm pony then walked up on stage as Spike cheered for her.

“Can your magical powers do this?”

Applejack then give an impressive performance by doing various lasso tricks including pulling an apple from a tree and into her mouth. As expected, the crowd cheered in excitement.

“Top that, missy.”

“Oh you’re of little talent.” Trixie remains confident as he used her magic to took off her hat, making her horn visible. “Watch and be amazed at the magic of Trixie!”

Using her magic, she made the rope move in a manner of a snake moving in tune to a charmer. With her attention on its movement, Applejack wasn’t prepared when the rope then entangling her legs.

As a finishing touch, Trixie made the other end of the rope put an apple into the tied-up pony’s mouth. The crowd laughed and cheered at the scene.

“Once again, the Great and Powerful Trixie prevails.” She boasted as Applejack had to hop off stage due to her entanglement.

It was then Dash flew up stage once again to face Trixie. At the same time, Dusk was helping Applejack remove the rope tied to her legs.

“There's no need to go strutting around and showing off like that!” The peagsus exclaimed. “That's my job!”

Dash then flew into the air and showed the crowd multiple aerial tricks which includes spinning around a windmill, going through clouds and creating a rainbow when he descended back onto stage.

“They don't call me "Rainbow" and "Dash" for nothing!”

Despite the cheering of the crowd, Trixie wasn’t fazed or daunted.

“When Trixie is through, the only thing they'll call you is loser.”

Using her magic again, she manipulated the rainbow above Dash and whirl it around her. The pegasus yelled as she spun into the air and then back to the ground disorientated.

“I think I'm gonna be sick...” Dash muttered as Applejack came by to help her up.

“Seems like anypony with a dash of good sense would think twice before tussling with the Great Trixie.” She then created a storm cloud near the pegasus and struck her frank with a bolt of lightning.

Trixie laughed and the crowd laughed with her. Dusk and the others in the other hoof were not amused one bit.

“What we need is another unicorn to challenge her.” Spike stated as he gestured to Twilight. “Someone with some magic of her own.”

“Yeah! A unicorn to show this unicorn who's boss.”

“A real unicorn to unicorn tussle.”

Applejack and Dash were in agreement, but it made Twilight more uncomfortable than before.

“Enough. Enough, all of you. I take your hint, but Rarity is above such nonsense.” Rarity though misunderstood Spike and thought he was referring to her. “Rainbow Dash and Applejack may behave like ruffians, but Rarity conducts herself with beauty and grace.”

“Ooo, what's the matter? Afraid you'll get a hair out of place in that rat's nest you call a mane?” Trixie said to her in a taunting manner, which struck a nerve with a fashion unicorn.

“Oh, it. Is. On!”

Rarity soon approached the stage.

“You may think you're tough with all of your so-called powers, but there's more to magic than your brutish ways. A unicorn needs to be more than just muscle.” She used her magic to pull on of the curtains off the stage. “A unicorn needs to have style.”

Wrapping herself with the curtain, Rarity then used her magic to alter the clothing in a set of beautiful clothing. At the same time, she also changed her hairstyle.

“A unicorn is not a unicorn without grace and beauty.” She stated as the crowd look at the dressed-up unicorn in awe. Trixie however has something else in mind.

“Rarity won't let Trixie get the best of her!” Spike said with confidence. “She's strong, she's beautiful, she's...”

Seconds later, there was a flash of light on the stage and everypony gasped upon seeing what happened to Rarity.

“Quick! I need a mirror! Get me a mirror!” Rarity cried out. “What did she do to my hair? I know she did something terrible to my hair!”

“Nothing.”

“It's fine.”

“It's gorgeous.”

Twilight, Dash and Applejack said respectively to ease the unicorn. However, Spike was bluntly honest.

“It's green.” The mares give the baby dragon an unpleased look as Dusk merely facehoof himself. “What?”

“Ugh, no.” Rarity’s eyes teared up as she finally got a glance of her new hairstyle. “Green hair! Not green hair!”

Dusk was watching her run off the stage as she cried her eyes out. “Such an awful, awful color!” Rarity however ran pass a pony with green hair, who felt insulted and walked away.

“Well Twilight, guess it's up to you.” Spike kept on trying to get Twilight to take action. “Come on, show her what you're made of.”

“What do you mean? I'm nothing special.” She remains reluctant though.

“Yes, you are! You're better than her!”

“I'm not better than anyone!”

“Hah! You think you're better than the Great and Powerful Trixie?” Trixie approached Twilight from stage. “You think you have more magical talent? Well, come on, show Trixie what you've got. Show us all.”

“Who, me? I'm just your run-of-the-mill citizen of Ponyville.” With the crowd paying attention to her, Twilight was eager to leave. “No powerful magic here. I, uh... I think I hear my laundry calling. Sorry, gotta go.”

After making her rather poor excuse, Twilight quickly bolted out the crowd.

“Twilight?” Spike muttered in shock just as Dusk gave Trixie a glare for how she acted. After that, the stallion took off and run after Twilight.

“Twilight?”

Dusk opened the door to the library, which he assumed it was going to be where the unicorn would likely be.

He was correct in his assumption for he saw Twilight who was about to grab a book from one of the shelves.

“Dusk?” She was startled by his arrival. “What are you doing here?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” The stallion said as he approached her. “I wanted to check on you after you ran off.”

“Oh that... It’s just that I...”

Twilight tried to make an excuse, but Dusk looked at her with a serious expression.

“Twilight, I know what is bothering you.” He stated much to her surprise. “While you are very skilled in magic, I know you’re not the type to show off.”

“But you seen my friends hated her bragging...” Twilight said with doubt in her voice. “If I show off my magic in front of them...”

“And what? They would stop being friends with you?” Dusk replied as he rubbed his hoof on the top of her head. “Don’t be stupid. They will not abandon you and neither will I.”

“But...”

“Twilight, you are overthinking about this matter with Trixie. You are nothing like her. She merely uses her magic just to be the center of attention and to feed her ego. You use your magic to help ponies in need; the opposite.”

The unicorn remained quiet, but she took in the stallion’s words and feeling less anxious than she was before.

“Like you said, there is nothing wrong being talented and you put your own talent to good use. If you don’t believe me, just talk to your friends. I assure you that they will not look at you in the same way as they did to Trixie.”

Dusk then took a deep breath and hoped what he said would help ease Twilight’s worries.

“Thank you.” The unicorn said with a smile. “Now I feel better already.”

“No problem.” The stallion made a smile of his own. “Feel free to share any worries with me. I’m a good listener.”

PreviousChapters Next