• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,999 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,999

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 8 [Part 1] - Sleepover Mishaps

A week has passed since the incident up the mountain. While Fluttershy manage to convince the dragon to leave despite her timid nature, but Twilight took a big step forward for she defeated not only Number 8, but also gained the support of Number 102 as well.

Since Twilight was the one who defeated Number 8, Dusk felt it was appropriate to that she should have ownership of the Number and its deck. However, the unicorn pass on the offer and let him keep the cards instead. To her, having Number 102 and the new “Star Seraph” cards were reward enough.

If there was greater reward for her, it would be praise from Celestia. Upon returning from the mountain, Dusk quickly wrote his report regarding Twilight’s duel and her new Number. After Spike send it, he received the princess’s reply on the very next day.

In the reply, Celestia showed her amazement and congratulation that her own student not only defeated a Number, but now has one of her own. The Princess also gave thanks to Dusk for being a good teacher to Twilight, seeing that the unicorn’s skill in Duel Monsters came from him.

By having a Number in her possession however, Twilight was now had the strange ability to grab onto things with her hooves. She found it awkward at first, but manage to get use to it thanks to Dusk’s assistance.

As of now, Twilight had no trouble using her newfound ability in pulling books out of the sleeves, writing with a quill and even drawing cards from her deck.

While she made extensive notes on what it was like to use her hooves in such a manner, Twilight still prefer to use her magic when it comes to object manipulation.

For the rest of the week since then, it was relatively peaceful for everypony in Ponyville. The weather during those times were clear and sunny; perfect for anypony to spend his or her day.

Until now...

“Do we really need to have a storm today?”

Dusk asked to Twilight, who was beside him as they looked through the library’s window. Outside, the pegasuses were covering the sky with rainclouds and was turning a beautiful day into a storm.

“Well, the pegasuses skipped a scheduled sprinkle last week, so they need a downpour to make up for it.” Twilight replied.

“But I must admit, my people would love have the ability to control the weather like these pegasuses.”

“Wait, humans cannot manipulate the weather?”

“No.” Dusk shook his head. “On Earth, the weather is beyond our control. The only thing we can do is predict the weather and prepare ourselves. If there is a drought, we’ll ration our water supply. If there is a flood, we’ll evacuate and then rebuild our homes.”

“So... Earth is like the Everfree Forest?” Twilight followed up. “But how does your kind thrive in such an environment?”

“That is true. The plants and animals on Earth don’t need human intervention and can take care of themselves. And how we thrive?” Dusk stated with a hint of pride in his voice. “Humans are resourceful and creative. Through determination and technology, we have weathered through every disaster that came our way.”

He cleared his throat before continuing on.

“While humans may lack the abilities that those in Equestria have, we always find a way to rise up in the end. The same applies to me. I maybe now a pony, but I am still human in both heart and mind.”

“Wow...” Twilight looked at the former human in amazement. “I’m sure our kind would have a lot to learn from each other.”

“If our kind ever meet, I’m sure that would be the case.” Dusk soon heard the sound of thunder from outside, which signalled that the storm has just begun.

“Looks like it starting. Wait a minute....” Dusk notice that two ponies were still outside despite the heavy downpour. “Is that Applejack and Rarity?”

“Huh?” Twilight quickly looked out as well and was surprised to see it was indeed them. Applejack took shelter beneath a picnic table while Rarity strangely let herself be exposed to the rain and wind.

“Why are those two still outside at a time like this?”

“I don’t know, but they need to get indoors before they get sick.”

Both Dusk and Twilight then went to the door and upon opening it, they both called out to Applejack and Rarity.


“Applejack! Rarity!”

The two ponies outside manage to hear Twilight’s voice despite the wind and thunder. They quickly turn their gaze to the library as Dusk and Twilight beckon them to come in.

“Get inside you two! Now!”

Dusk shouted to Applejack and Rarity, who both then ran towards the library as fast as they could.

“Whoa, nelly.” Applejack however stopped by the door just as Rarity manage to get indoors. “Is inside a tree really the best place to be in a lightning storm?”

“Don’t worry Applejack.” Dusk assured her. “The library apparently has a lightning rod for an occasion like this.”

“Come on in.” Twilight urged her to come inside.

“Hah! We are most grateful for your invitation.”

“Thank ya kindly for yer hospitality.”

Rarity and Applejack was very relieved to be indoors and out of the ongoing storm. However, the latter was quickly stopped by the former for her muddy hooves.

“Uh, do be a polite house guest and go wash up please, won't you?”

‘Can’t agree with that.’ Dusk thought as he knew anypony would make a fuss if somepony brought in mud into their household.

“If I gotta spend one more second with that fussbudget Rarity today, I can't be held responsible for what I'm gonna do.”

Applejack muttered to herself as she went back outside to wash her hooves.

‘Did something happen to them?’ The stallion notice that there was some tension between the two ponies. It was almost like Applejack and Rarity no longer enjoy each other’s company.

Dusk kept it in his mind as Twilight started a conversion with Rarity.

“Some storm, huh? The Pegasus ponies sure have outdone themselves this time.” She said. “I hope you and Applejack don't have any trouble getting home.”

“It may indeed be a problem.” Rarity replied in a somewhat nervous tone.

“Well, you're welcome to stay if need be. Spike is away in Canterlot on royal business. Only me and Dusk are alone tonight.”

Suddenly, Twilight gasped for an idea came into her head.

“You and Applejack should totally sleep over! We'll have a slumber party!” She clapped her hooves in excitement. “I've always wanted one of those.”

“Slumber party?” Dusk found the notion to be awkward for him despite the fact he was Twilight’s roommate since coming to Ponyville. Then again, he never been to a slumber party before.

Rarity only blinked a few times before Twilight’s words finally sunk in.

“Oh! Uh, goodness. Uh, I do believe I have another engagement scheduled for this evening that completely slipped my mind until just now.” She hastily said before laughing awkwardly. “Ah, silly me, I can't possibly stay here all night... With Applejack.”

She muttered out the last part, which Dusk managed to hear while Twilight went up to one of the library sleeves and pulled out a book with her magic. After opening it, she showed the book’s contents to Rarity and Dusk.

“Slumber 101: All You've Ever Wanted to Know About Slumber Parties, But Were Afraid to Ask.”

“I’m a bit surprised that you have such a book with you.”

“My own personal copy Dusk. It's a fantastic reference guide.” Twilight stated. “You should see the table of contents. I've been waiting for a chance to use it, and today is the day! This is gonna be so great!”

“Yes, uh, great...” Rarity made a nervous laugh as she looked out the window, where Applejack was struggling to use a hose to wash the mud off her hooves.

“I guess I leave you girls to enjoy yourselves.” Dusk was about o go back to his room when Twilight stopped him.

“Wait. You should join in the fun as well.”

“I’m not sure... I doubt I’ll fit in with your activities”

The stallion turned to her with a look of uncertainty. He found it awkward to be the only boy in an otherwise all-girl slumber party. While he never been to one, Dusk had a good feeling what activities the girls would do.

“Don’t be silly Dusk. I know you’ll have fun as well.” Twilight insisted. “Please?”

Seeing how much the unicorn wanted him to join in the slumber party, Dusk finally relented to her.

“Alright. I’ll join...” He sighed as Twilight clapped her hooves in joy.


For the next few minutes, Twilight brought down a few pillows from upstairs while Rarity apparently somehow had some green facial mud with her.

Sitting on the pillows, Rarity was the first to put some of the mud on her face before doing the same for Twilight. Dusk was also sitting on a pillow, but didn’t partake in the activity and was instead looking through the slumber party book.

‘Makeover huh?’ The stallion thought as read through the other activities listed in the book.

They include ghost stories, making s’mores and games such as Truth and Dare. Surprisingly, instructions on having a pillow fight were in the book as well.

Dusk soon heard a gasp and turned to see it was Applejack, who was looking at Rarity and Twilight in surprise.

“What in tarnation?” She said to Rarity in an annoyed tone. “Now wait just a goll-darn minute. Ya make me wash the mud off my hooves, but it's okay for y'all to have mud all over yer faces?”

“Silly! This is called a mud mask.” Rarity stated. “It's to refresh and rejuvenate your complexion.”

“We're giving each other makeovers!” Twilight giggled as she lifted the slumber party book from Dusk’s hooves and presented it to Applejack. “We have to do it, it says so in the book.”

“Slumber 101: Everything You...”

Upon reading the title, Applejack flinched.

“Oh hey, heh, would you look at the time. I gotta skidaddle on home quick.” Pretending she was looking at a watch on her right hoof, she tried to excuse herself. “I'm powerful late for, uh, fer somethin'... Uh, good night.”

‘That is one of the poorest excuses I have ever heard.’

Seeing that Applejack apparently wanted to be away from Rarity, Dusk now had a good feeling that something indeed happened between her and Rarity.

And she would have gotten her wish if not for the sound of thunder scaring her back into the library.

“Or maybe I'll sit here for a spell.” Applejack said.

“Hurray slumber party!” The unicorn cheered as she clapped her hooves in excitement.

Moments later, Rarity rubbed some facial mud on Applejack’s face and then placed cucumber on her eyes.

“What in the world is this for?” In her mind, the latter was confused why the former covered her eyes with pieces of vegetable.

“To reduce the puffiness around one's eyes, of course.” Rarity sighed out in response.

“Puffiness-schmuffiness!” Applejack used her tongue lick the cucumbers off her eyes and ate them. “That's good eatin'!”

Before long, she begun to munch on the spare cucumbers that were in a bowl, which the fashion unicorn watched with a deadpan expression.

“I hope they don’t cause any trouble tonight...” Dusk muttered quietly as he was worried that the two may get into a fight before bedtime. “Maybe I can help resolve this.”

At the same time, Twilight giggled as she looked through her slumber party book.

“Hee-hee! Isn't this exciting? We'll do everything by the book, and that will make my slumber party officially fun.”

“Did you hear that, Applejack?” Rarity stated. “You certainly would not want to do anything that would ruin Twilight's very first slumber party, would you?”

“Of course not, 'n you wouldn't either, I reckon?” Applejack then asked the same thing.

“So do we have an agreement?”

“You betcha.”

‘Well, they could resolve their differences themselves.’ Dusk was optimistic until as he saw Applejack then spitting into her hoof before offering a hoofshake to Rarity. ‘Then again... Maybe not.’

“Oh! Gross! You know, there's messy and there's just plain rude.” Rarity said in disgust.

“You know, there's fussy, 'n there's just plain gettin' on my nerves.” Applejack talked back.

“Fortunately, I can get along with anypony, no matter how difficult she may be.”

“Oh yeah? Well, I'm the "get-alongin-est" pony you're ever gonna meet.”

“That's not even a word.”

“Can you...” Before Dusk could do anything, Twilight suddenly popped out behind the two arguing ponies and brought them into a group hug. Apparently, she has yet to notice the bad mood between Applejack and Rarity.

“This is going to be the bestest slumber party ever! Yay!” Thinking of her slumber party, she cheered once again.

“Yay...” Applejack and Rarity wasn’t as enthusiastic as their friend, but they cheered regardless.

‘I think it would be best if I stay in the slumber party.’

Dusk had a feeling that he would be needed to mediate Applejack and Rarity, especially since he notice the two mares glaring at each other.

‘Hope they don’t cause Twilight too much grief...”

PreviousChapters Next