• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,998 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,998

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 1 [Part 3] - Arrival of a Unlikely Hero

“Easy now everyon… pony.” Dusk was trying to calm down the excited crowd around him after his duel with Grey Wing. They continue to ask him questions ranging from his origins to his knowledge of Duel Monsters.

“Dusk.” Upon hearing his name, Dusk turned to see two unicorns approaching him; Shining Armor and Twilight Sparkle.

“I am Shining Armor, captain of the royal guard.” He introduced himself as he put his hoof out for a shake, which Dusk returned the gesture.

“This is my sister Twilight.” Shining Armor then introduced her. “I am in your debt for saving her from Grey Wing.”

“I was doing what was right and I couldn’t stand by while someone’s life is in danger.”

“Someone?”

“Uh… somepony I mean.” Dusk quickly corrected himself, seeing he was no longer dealing with people, but ponies.

“Thank you for saving me.” Said Twilight, who was grateful as her brother towards Dusk. While her eyes were slightly red due crying after she was held hostage by Grey Wing, the spark of happiness returned after the duel.

It was then her full attention turned to his duel disk as she took hold of it. “How did it conjure those monsters? How is it work with those cards? Just what is your relationship with them.”

She was quick to bombard him with questions as she examined the duel disk thoroughly, which made Dusk rather uncomfortable.

“Easy on him Twilight. Dusk has yet to settle down in Canterlot.” Celestia spoke to her student as she approached, who immediately turned her attention to her.

“Princess Celestia!” Twilight shouted as she quickly gives her a hug, which Celestia returned. “You can’t imagine how scared I was when Grey Wing captured me!”

“I was scared as well, but everything is now fine alright thanks to Dusk.”

Dusk can’t help but smile at the scene. It was always a good feeling when helping those in need. It was then he noticed something small moving quickly down the spiral staircaise of the tower.

Much to his surprise, it was small dragon and was running towards Twilight with open arms for a hug, which she quickly returned.

“Twilight! You are alright!”

“Spike!”

“Who is this?” Dusk asked Celestia.

“That is Spike. He is Twilight’s friend and assistant.”

“I don’t recalled dragons being this small through.”

“That because he is a baby.”

Dusk couldn’t make a response as he was trying to process the fact that Spike is considered a baby here despite being able to talk properly and walk upright.

“I want to thank you once more for your help and saving my student.” Celestia said, which broke Dusk from his thoughts.”

“Well I did say I will help you Celestia. But…” Dusk then pointed to the crowd who were chatting about him and the duel. “I think I am going to need help this time. I am not good explaining about myself, especially to large crowds.

Celesita only giggled, she has something planned to make this occasion.


“We have gathered here to mark an important occasion.”

Back at the royal palace, Celestia was addressing a large crowd of ponies in the main hall; many were from the crowd that watched the duel between Dusk and Grey Wing.

A few hours have passed since the duel concluded. News of Dusk and the outcome of the duel has spread cross Canterlot; a unknown hero defeating an otherwise unstoppable villain.

Many were curious of the unknown stallion who played a strange card game, using the very cards that recently appeared across Equestria.

Others were more interested at looking into the strange object that was his duel disk, which could project life-like images of the cards that were played.

There wasn’t time to prepare a formal event, so her staff just spend out invites to everyone.

“We all have suffered from the havoc that Grey Wing caused during the past few days. In my attempts to find a solution to stopping Grey Wing, I have unexpectedly brought Dusk from another world. While he was upset of my action, he understands our plight and agreed to did me. Dusk told me about Duel Monsters, a game from his world and how the cards that appeared in Equestria were related. Not only that, he knew it was the only way to defeat Grey Wing.”

The crowd remain quiet yet were listening carefully as Celestia continues on.

“Today, most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle, was taken hostage by Grey Wing and we feared it would be same thing every time we tried to stop him. It was only due to the effort and courage of Dusk that Grey Wing was finally defeated at last. Fillies and gentlecolts, may I present the hero, Dusk!”

Immediately, the main hall’s doors opened and revealed Dusk with a pair of guards. He walked down the red carpet as the guards moved to their respective post.

Dusk nervously move towards Celestia and stood by her right side, looking upon the crowd before him. The crowd cheered for him, which Dusk was uncomfortable since it was the first time in his life to receive this much attention.

‘This is not helping Celesita.’

“Say something.” She whispered to Dusk, which made him more uncomfortable.

After a few moments, he mustered up his courage and spoke to crowd.

“Well… Like Celestia said, I am from another world known as Earth. Truth be told, I am a human, the primary race of my world. However, I’ve somehow transformed into a pony and I will admit… that I am still trying to adapt.”

Dusk dropped the bombshell of his origins as the ponies were shocked. Of all the things, they never thought that Dusk not from their world.

“While I was mad at Celestia at first for separating me from my home, I could tell that you were all dealing with something that you have no answer for. After my duel with Grey Wing, I realized that I may be needed more than ever. I may not know why Duel Monster cards are in your world or what that wraith was, but I promise to do what I can help everyone… I mean everypony.”

Upon finishing, the crowd once more cheered for Dusk relief a sigh of relief. Speeches isn’t his thing, but he found the event far from over.

Dusk was once again bombarded with questions, but it was about world and his people. After getting away, he then was eating the food that was served in the event; mostly consisting of sweets and cake.

As he was eating, he was then approached by Shining Armor and Twilight with their parents. The parents introduced themselves as Night Light and Twilight Velvet, who were quick to give the deepest thanks to Dusk for saving their daughter. Spike was there as well and gave his own thanks to him.

Dusk sighed with a smile from all the attention and praises he was receiving. Despite everything he has to deal with today and the fact he was indeed in a different world, Dusk nevertheless felt it was a good day.

“This is a lot to take in…” Dusk muttered to himself as he was lying down on the bed in one of the guest rooms in the royal palace. Hours have passed since the event and he was glad to be away from the attention of so many ponies.


It was nighttime and since he doesn’t have a place to stay, Celestia arranged the room he was in to be for his personal use until further notice.

He was at first reluctant to stay in the room since it was more like a suite to him, but the princess insisted and told him to think of it as a reward for his actions against Grey Wing.

The room was in one of the palace’s towers and it consist of a king-size bed, a large wardrobe cabinet, a desk and plenty of windows which gives him a good view of the city. It even includes a private bathroom much to his surprise.

It was the Dusk heard a few knocks from behind the door.

“I’m coming.” He said as he got up and approached the door. When he opened it, he saw it was Celestia.

“Hello Dusk. How are you making out?”

“Alright I supposed. I still don’t think staying in this room would be appropriate. I am just a normal per… pony.”

Celesita merely giggled.

“Don’t think yourself lightly. You are practically seen as a hero for defeating Grey Wing. You being modest is a good aspect though.”

Dusk however was silent for a few moments before asking Celestia a question that was bothering for a while.

“Celestia… Were there cases similar to Grey Wing in Canterlot?”

“No, Grey Wing was the first case. But there were similar cases in other parts of Equestria.” Said Celestia as her once happy expression turned sad.

“So, there are others like Grey Wing around?”

“Yes, but we haven’t heard anything from them.” Celestia answered Dusk. “Detachments of guards were sent to investigate, but they came back with nothing.”

“Is a specific card that does this or could it be any card?”

“I am not sure. I once thought the cards were harmless when they arrived, so I let my ponies collect them if they wanted. It was only a few days later that the incidents begun to arise.”

“I see... Don’t worry. If any similar incidents occur again, then I will do what I can to stop them.”

“Once more, I thank you for your assistance.” A smile returned to Celestia’s face. “Is it possible for you to teach my guards about Duel Monsters?”

“What?” Dusk was very surprised of her request.

“If my guards know how to play, then they would be able to finally handle those like Grey Wing.”

“I am not much of a teacher…” Dusk said shaking his head. “But I do have something that may be useful.”

Dusk walked towards his backpack and begun to search through it. It was then he took a booklet out and presented it to Celestia, which she used her magic to levitate them off his hoof.

“Duel Monster Official Rule Book?” Celestia read the title of the booklet.

“The title is self-explanatory. I already know the rules by heart, so you are free to use them and make copies if necessary.”

“Thank you. If any question arises about Duel Monsters, then I hope you don’t mind answering them.”
“That wouldn’t be a problem.”

With that, Dusk and Celestia decide to call it a night. After Celestia left, Dusk found it awkward at first tying to lie down on the bed as a pony. In the end, he manages and soon found himself having a good night sleep.


“Uh… Its morning already?”

Upon feeling sunlight upon his eyes, Dusk slowly rose from the bed as he stretch his limbs.

If there was any feeling within him that everything yesterday was all a dream, it was gone the moment he opened his eyes and saw he was still in the same room as before.

Just as he got off the bed, there was a knock at the door.

“I’m coming.” Dusk said in a tired tone as he walked towards the door, not yet fully awake.

When he opened the door, he saw it was Shining Armor and beside by a small chest.

“Shining Armor? What do you need? What is this?” Said Dusk as he pointed to the chest in question.

“I am here to bring you these.” After levitating the chest using his magic in front of Dusk, he opened it and revealed it was filled with Duel Monster cards.

“Duel Monster cards? Where did you get them?” Dusk spoke in surprise as he took hold of the box.

“When Grey Wing became corrupted, some ponies were fearful that the cards they collected could possess them. They ended up handing them over to her Majesty for safekeeping. Seeing that you are practically the only expert in this Duel Monster game, she decided to entrust the cards we have to you.” Shining Armor replied.

“What about Grey Wing’s deck?”

“We checked his cards and found there is no magic of any kind lingering in them. Seeing they were safe, we put them in the chest as well.”

“Thank you. While I have a few decks of my own, I can make use of these cards. Maybe I could make decks for you and your guards.”

“As much I want to admit how strange it is to defeat a villain in a card game, I will have little choice if another incident like yesterday occurs again.”

“I found it strange as well, but I will try to help you as best I can.”

“I appreciate your assistance. Especially what you did for my sister.”

Dusk and Shining Armor banter for a few moments before they parted. The latter left to continue his duties while former went to his desk and look through the cards he was given.

The cards in the chest were disorganized however, so Dusk send the time sorting them out based on card type.

Many of the cards Dusk looked through were those he seen back on Earth. While there were the Monster, Spell and Trap cards, he also found Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, Xyz and even Pendulum cards.

Dusk however found a few cards that he never seen before. Among them was a particular card which he felt an strange feeling when he held it in his hoof.

“Number 24: Dragulas the Vampiric Dragon?”

He said the name of the card, which was specifically a Xyz Monster card. But something told him it was more than just that.

‘I should keep eye out for any more of these Number cards.’ Dusk mentally noted as he continued to sort the cards.’

In an hour, Dusk manage to organize every single card from the chest into their respective types and carefully put them back. He then took out a pen from his backpack and started to write down the total cards found in each group.

Despite having no fingers, Dusk was amazed he could hold the pen properly.

“96 Monsters, 57 Spells, 45 Traps, 17 Rituals…”

Dusk was then interrupted once again by a few knocks on the door. When he went to the door and opened it, he saw it was Twilight.

“Twilight? What do you need?”

“I wanted to see if you are available to come to the library.” She said while smiling.

“For what?” Dusk questioned.

“For an interview of course! If what you said yesterday was true, then the both of us have much to learn about each other’s worlds!”

“I was getting the feeling that would happen someday.” Dusk sighed before he smiled. “I am free.”

“Great! Do you mind if you could bring your cards and this duel disk of yours as well?”

“As long they remain intact when you examine them, then that would be fine.”

With that, Dusk went back to his desk and grabbed his backpack on the side, containing his duel disk and decks. Since the chest of Duel Monster cards was small enough to fit, he also put into his backpack while telling Twilight what her brother provided him with.

Dusk soon accompanied Twilight out of his room, then out of the royal palace and finally onto the streets of Canterlot. Many ponies were gazing upon him as he walked alongside the unicorn towards the library.

‘The first of many I suppose…’ He thought as he knew he got the full attention of the city after yesterday. However, he felt that something else was coming…

And he would be needed.

PreviousChapters Next