• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 5,998 Views, 257 Comments

Heart of the Cards - AspirantWriter



Looking into incidents that were linked to the recent appearance of cards of unknown origin, Celestia casted a spell in hopes of finding where the cards came from. Instead, she warped a unlikely hero... A duelist.

  • ...
4
 257
 5,998

Chapters Next
Episode 1 [Part 1] - Arrival of a Unlikely Hero

It was a relatively quiet day in Canterlot as many of the royal guard were patrolling the streets. In the past few days, the inhabitants chose to spend their days mostly indoors and only go out if necessary.

It been like this after the previous incident, which the royal guard once again failed to stop the same pony from causing havoc in one the city’s districts.

Almost a week ago, there were sightings of cards of unusual design appearing across Equestra. Little is known about the cards except they seemed to be separated based on the coloring; the most common are brown, green and purple.

While the appearance and wording of the cards were different, they all share the same back design; a black and brown oval swirl at the center.

At first, the cards were seen as harmless and just another thing for collectors, but it was proven wrong rather quickly. There were reports of ponies picking up one of the cards ended being surrounding by a dark aura along with a drastic change to their personalities.

The case in Canterlot was a big concern for one of the royal guard pegasus named Grey Wing let his curiosity got the better of him and grabbed one of them.

Acting as he been possessed, Grey Wing was seen smashing windows, doors and any outdoor object he found, taunting ponies to stop him. He was also seen threatening ponies into giving him any of the strange cards they may have found since their arrival.

When other royal guards tried to apprehend him, they were pushed back by the aura around. Grey Wing claim that he was be beaten in a duel and present a deck that he made using the cards he either collected or stolen. Many however see it as him mocking any attempts to stop him the effects of his aura.

After causing havoc in a district, he usually disappears without a trace, only to reappear in another district the next day. It reached the point that the ruler of Equestria, Princess Celestia, chose to intervene. Much to the shock of everyone, even she couldn’t stop Grey Wing as her magic couldn’t even break through the protective aura.

Back at the royal palace, Celestia plan her next course of action.


Standing in the middle of an ornate chamber holding one of the many cards her royal guard collected, her horn glowed as she channeled a spell into it.

The spell in question was said to help one understand of the properties of an object and its purpose. She has mixed feelings for using the spell though since it was known to be very unpredictable when casted.

Nevertheless, it was worth the risk to Celestia as her horn glowed brighter as she channeled the spell into the card.

“I hope this works.” She muttered as she continues to channel the spell.

Nothing happened for a few minutes as she continued to channel her magic, but everything changed when the card in Celestia’s hoof begun to warp.

Soon, a small rift appeared before in front of Celestia and sucked the warped card from her hoof much to her surprise. It soon glowed brightly to which it blinded her for a few moments.

‘What happened?’

After regaining her sight, she saw that the rift in front of her was gone and instead was an earth pony stallion with a brown backpack. His eyes and coat were dark blue while his mane were black. The most noticeable aspect of the stallion that his flank has disturbingly a black and brown spiral which was similar to the one found on the back of those cards.

However, the stallion had a shocked expression on his face as he quickly scanned his surroundings and then to her. Celestia felt something wasn’t right when the stallion begun to shake as he gazes upon his front hooves with fearful eyes.

“Where am I?! Who are you?! What happened to me?!”

He shouted out in a panicked state as his breathing begun to rise rapidly.

“Calm down. You are in Canterlot.”

Celestia spoke in a kind voice, but it has little effect on the panicking stallion.

“Canterlot?! You mean I am not on Earth?!”

‘Earth?’ Celestia soon realized that the stallion was not from Equestia and was from another world… ‘And I was responsible.’

She then saw the stallion staring at her, retaining his fearful expression. “Who are you?! Are you the one who did this me?!”

“Please calm down. I assure you that it wasn’t my intention to let this happen to you.”

Upon hearing her kind but apologetic tone, the stallion managed to calm down slightly and ease his breathing. However, he remained cautious of the alicorn.

“I am Princess Celestia. And you are?”

The stallion remained quiet for a few moments for he answered. “My name is Dusk. I am a human or I used to be…” He once again gazes upon his front hooves. “My hands…”

“I know you have a lot of questions, but please hear me out.” Celestia then begun to explain to Dusk what was happening in Equestria; from the unknown cards that appeared across the land to her predicament in dealing with Grey Wing which resulted in casting the spell which unexpected brought him here.

Dusk was very quiet throughout the whole explanation, but was listening intently. As crazy as it was for him to learn he was in a world filled with ponies, he couldn’t deny the truth before him despite a part of him tells him it is just his imagination going haywire.

After finishing, Celestia was worried that her explanation would do little to ease him. She after all ended up taking him away from his world and currently has no way to return him back.

It was then he finally spoke as he struggled to get his backpack off. “That is a lot to take in… However, you were taking about those cards…”

Despite no longer having hands, he was surprised he could grab things with hooves as he managed to finally free himself of his backpack.

“What are doing?” Celestia asked as Dusk opened his backpack and was surprised what he was presenting her with.

The first object he presented was something that was something akin to a hoof blade; weapon which was rarely used by her royal guard. Dusk then put it back into his backpack and then taken out a card pouch.

When he opened the pouch and presented its contents, Celestia was shocked to her core for it contain cards which were like those that appeared in Equestria; the back design being a complete match.

“What? How?”

“As awkward as it seems, I guess I have to explain a bit of my life.” Dusk said as he explained everything to Celestia.


She learned that on Earth, a card game known as Duel Monsters which the inhabitants there duel each other; following a detailed set of rules which was respected by all. The game was wide-spread and very popular to the point there were tournaments and leagues. A duelist could gain both fame and fortune if he or she played her cards right.

Its popularity also lead to the rapid development of portable devices known as Duel Disk, which enhances the game by projecting lifelike images of both monsters and effects. Celestia realized that hoof blade-like object was Dusk’s duel disk.

Apparently, Dusk was preparing for a tournament and it packed along with a few pouches of his cards before a rift appeared in his room; the same one that Celestia was created.

After finishing his explanation, Dusk was now putting everything back into his backpack. Celestia was speechless for a minute as she was processing everything she learned in her head.

“Is that what Grey Wing meant by duel?”

“With what you told me, that appears to be the case. It appears in order to stop him, he has to be defeated in a game of Duel Monsters.”

“You are my best hope then.”

“What?”

Celestia took a deep breath before speaking. “I know you may not like it, but you may be the solution I been looking for.”

Dusk was bewildered what she said. “You are asking me, a complete stranger, to help you with your problem? You first took me from my world and now you...”

He was cut off by Celestia. “You are the only one who knows how to play this Duel Monsters. I understand that you are upset of me for taking you from your world, but my guards are powerless in stopping Grey Wing and there are no doubt ponies like him somewhere else in Equestria.”

She looked at Dusk with begging eyes. “Please help me and Equestria. I promise that I will try to find a way to return you back.”

Dusk had a complicated expression as he was thinking about what she said. As much he was upset with her taking him away from his world, a part of himself wanted to help Celestia with her predicament.

He was silent for a minute as he looked upon the ground in deep through.

“I…” Dusk tried to speak, but was interrupted by the chamber door opening up abruptly and saw an pony wearing golden armor rushing in.

“Your Majesty! We have a big problem!”

‘Is this one of the royal guards?’ Dusk thought as Celestia turned her head towards the pony.

“Is it Grey Wing?”

“Yes. He was found near one of the towers. I am afraid to also report that he is also holding your student hostile.”

Dusk notice that Celestia’s expression became on of fear upon hearing the guard’s report.

“Twilight…” She muttered in horrified tone. “Did you report it to Shining Armor?”

“Yes. The captain immediately left with a detachment, but I am not sure how we could deal with Grey Wing now.”

The guard soon caught sight of Dusk, much to latter’s surprise since the former didn’t note his presence.

“Who is this?”

Celestia turned her gaze to Dusk before she turned back to the guard with a small smile.

“The one who could deal the Grey Wing.”

The guard was speechless upon hearing Celestia’s reply; the unknown stallion beside her was the one who stop Grey Wing.

“Dusk…” Celestia looked at him with eyes appearing more begging than before.

“Celestia…” He spoke as he turned towards her. “While I am indeed upset for your action, I understand the predicament that you and your people are facing. I can’t stand people getting hurt, so…”

Dusk finally made a smile after all he been through in a short time. “If you keep your promise, I will help you.”

“Thank you...” Celestia was very happy hearing his words. At long last, there was hope…


At the tower in question, there was a lot of panic as a large crowd gathered around a sensitive situation. They gaze upon a band of royal guards surrounding Grey Wing as he was cornered at the exterior of the tower.

"He looks different now..." One of the royal guard muttered as he look upon Grey Wing. The last time they met, Grey Wing still retain his grey coat and blue mane as before. Now, both his coat and mane were darker than before; disturbingly a good match for his malicious expression.

Behind Grey Wing’s was Twilight Sparkle, Celestia beloved student, who was tied up and wasn’t able free herself with her magic due to the aura emitted by Grey Wing. Her mouth was covered so she couldn’t say a word.

Her tear-filled eyes were focused on her brother, Shining Armor, who was trying in vain to break through the aura with his magic. He been at this for a few minutes, but nothing worked as the magic on his horn begun to waver.

The previous plan for the royal guard was for a group to distract Grey Wing while another rescue Twilight. However, Grey Wing seems to notice and formed a sizeable dome using the aura, which prevented anypony from getting in.

Despite the strength of the aura, it was transparent enough for the ponies to get a good view of what is happening inside.

Shining Armor looked upon Grey Wing with a furious expression as he desperately banged the dome with his hooves.

“Let my sister go!”

“Like said many times before, you have to defeat me in a duel first...”

Grey Wing said as he begun to laugh darkly as he presented his deck of cards. Shining Armor refuse to give in and continue to batter the dome. He was fighting tears as it was always the same thing every time he and his guards tried to stop him.

Every attempt to breach Grey Wing’s aura failed and today, he was being crushed by the revelation he wouldn’t be able save his dear sister from him.

As everypony were muttering out of fear of Grey Wing’s being unstoppable, they were interrupted by a recognizable voice.

“Grey Wing!”

Upon hearing Celestia’s voice, the crowd of ponies spotted her alongside Dusk; an otherwise unknown stallion to their eyes.

The crowd quickly gave them as they approach the dome which Grey Wing was behind. The royal guards there tried to stop Dusk, but Celestia told them that he was with her and order them not to interfere.

Dusk finally caught sight of Grey Wing, who was looking upon him and Celestia darkly as he approached. Soon they were face-to-face; the dome being the only thing separating them.

“Your Majesty. He spoke in a mocking tone. “If you wish to see your beloved student again, then you must defeat me…”

“In Duel Monsters right?” Celestia interrupted him as everypony were confused of what she said.

“Duel Monsters?” Many in the crowd repeated what Celestia said and were questioning what she meant.

As for Grey Wing, he was surprised and intensified his gaze upon her. “Where did you learned that…?”

“From Dusk.” Celestia merely smiled as she gestured to Dusk, who was surprisingly calm despite what he was seeing now.

Soon, everypony were focused on him as he took off his backpack, taking out his duel disk and the pouch that holds his preferred deck.
Those near Dusk were in shock upon seeing his deck as he took it out and inserted into his duel disk.

‘My duel disk must have changed as well.’ Dusk thought as he noticed that the bracer that was meant to fit on a human wrist was now large enough to fit a pony’s hoof.

Everypony were more surprised as Dusk stood on his hind legs as he entered the usual duelist stance and attached the dusk disk to his left hoof.

As for Grey Wing, he was study Dusk extensively from his stance to his duel disk. A few moments later, he laughed as he also stood on his hind legs.

“What is so funny?” Dusk questioned.

“It seems that somepony finally assembled his own deck and have the guts to face me.” Grey Wing replied as something begun to form on his left hoof.

Much to everyponys’ surprise, a something similar to Dusk's duel disk appeared, but was dark grey in color and had jagged edges.

“I can tell from your eyes that you know the rules as well.”

“Don’t worry about me. Worry about yourself.”

“We will see about that.” Grey Wing merely got back on his hooves and walked to the opposite side of the dome, gesturing Dusk to follow.

Following suit, he towards the dome and to everypony’s surprise, Dusk was able to move through the dome without difficulty. The royal guard were flabbergast that the unknown stallion manage to pass through the aura.

Shining Armor tried to follow, but Celestia stopped him.

“Have faith in Dusk.”

Despite being skeptical of the unknown stallion, the captain chose to heed to his Majesty’s words as he watched the two in the dome stand on their hind legs.

Everyponys’ eyes were focused on the scene as Dusk’s and Grey Wing’s Duel Disks begun to emit a multi-colored glow from certain sections.

It was then they heard an unknown voice echo from within the dome.

“Solid Reality Vision Link established.”

Soon, a holographic screen appeared above Dusk and Grey Wing respectively; containing a picture of their faces and a counter; displaying the text, 8000 LP.

Soon, the two drew about five cards from their respective decks as they both shouted out the word that would start everything as everypony continue to watched what was about to come.

“DUEL!”

Chapters Next