• Published 8th Aug 2017
  • 589 Views, 9 Comments

Primordial Conflict - Jumping Jack



A young mare must journey Equestria in order to fulfill a universally unavoiadable fate along with seven others in order to prevent the disruption of universal law. All the while trying to prevent a dark force from acquiring their elements.

  • ...
1
 9
 589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Homes Where the Heart Is

Chapter 28: Homes Where the Heart Is

I found myself soaring across space once more. My eyes closed as I was sleeping peacefully. There was no wind, but my cloak hoodie was acting like it was. Yet, despite feeling like I was soaring, I was going nowhere. Between me and our bright blue planet was the moon. In the far distance were the three shooting stars. Time was at a standstill, yet I felt at peace. Suddenly, I saw Sharp Eye appear. She floated above me, also in a deep sleep. Then, Catlyn. She soared a distance away from us. Then, there was Zalas. She soared over us before matching our pace. Next, a white wisp appeared along with a purple and yellow one. The last remaining three none of us knew about. But I'm guessing these creatures were also in a deep sleep. How bizarre. All seven of us together. Four of us friends and the other three either foe or friend.

"I'm impressed by all of you." A voice echoed. I wasn't sure where it was coming from. Was it from space itself? Was it in my head? It was hard to tell. "You've all come into your own. Except for one. Bearer of fire. Have you opened your heart to your element?" I opened my eyes. I admired the stars above. I didn't move, but I responded to the voice.

"Why would I, to one who has no care for even my own wellbeing?" I stated. The voice chuckled.

"Din is an angsty one. Always wanting to fight. Butt heads with authority and more importantly, wanting to strive for her own path." It said. "You can relate to that, can't you?"

"But I'm a pony. Din is a being of the stars. Ouroboros's creation. She has a mind and will of her own. She has even took it upon herself to threaten my friends and the princesses. How can I open my heart to one who has no intention of working together?" I replied. The voice sighed.

"This is quite the conundrum. This shouldn't be this difficult for you both. Kindred spirits, after all." I remained quiet for a bit before speaking.

"I've seen what the others have done. How Gaia and Aquarius both manipulated Sharp Eye and Catlyn. How Ventus goaded Zalas to embrace her anger and hatred to everypony. Shiva tried to kill me on the train when I first started. Tenebres, while brief, has shown a childish side that even Din could match up to. As for Lux... I have yet to meet her." I frowned. "But I can only imagine what those three have promised to their own vessels." I found myself soaring up above everycreature, unable to move or do anything. I came to a stop.

"Hmmm... now that I take a closer look, you are quite the curious one indeed. Ahh. But then that would explain a lot. Din cannot control you as easily as you think she can." the voice said.

"You quiet your tongue, oaf!" I heard Din say. She appeared next to my body as a floating wisp. "I'll have no more interferences from anybeing! Ouroboros included!" she hissed. I hummed. What did she mean by anymore interferences? Din must have heard my thoughts. "It shouldn't be that hard to explain, vessel. What you call lazing about is what I call cautious observation. And I count over several hundred times that Ouroboros or my sisters decided to walk in on my domain!" Din gave a frustrated groan. "This one needs to stop wandering off into the others. I'd rather avoid seeing my sisters's faces!" The voice hummed.

"Come now, Din. Your temper doesn't befit a queen of fire. Hasn't he taught you that?" the voice asked. Din's wisp flared a bit.

"That fool was just that. A fool through and through! He has also taught me many other things that have been working in my favor!" I could imagine her grinning. "I may have lost more times than I could count. But this time, I'll be the apex of the world! Not Lux! Not Ventus! Not Shiva! Me!" Din floated over me. "With this vessel, I can do just that! It'll be my time to shine brighter than any star! As it is my rite!" She then gasped. "You!?"

"Am I late for the meeting?" a familiar voice said. A massive dragon serpentine curled around the moon before looking down at us. Ouroboros blinked in acknowledgment. "You've come a long way. Yet you and Din still do not have harmony. How odd. Everycreature else has befriended theirs. I figured you two were a match made among the heavens." He chuckled.

"Not funny." Both Din and I said in unison. The voice chuckled.

"You're right. Two peas in a pod." it said. Ouroboros leaned down to us, his giant green slit eye dilating.

"Din. Dear daughter. Why must you make things so difficult for everybeing? Your very existence relies on your co-operation. No balance. No realm to claim your own." he said. Din growled.

"Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm... But the many times you've promised any of us anything has always been nothing! You continue to feed us this lie and don't expect one of us to catch on?!" she barked. Ouroboros gasped.

"My, my. Your vessel hasn't opened her heart to you, yet she has been absorbed into your imprinting." Ouroboros smiled. "I must admit, Din. You may have 'lost', as you would say, to your sisters before. But the vessels you picked have been remarkable. I can only imagine what the next one would be." The serpent sighed. "Is what I would hope. But it appears that after this, there'll be no more instability. It has been written in the stars." The voice spoke.

"Ah, them's the breaks, Ouroboros. All your hard work being led to this. Perhaps in the next eon or so you'll have a newfound idea." It said. Wait a minute... why does it sound like we are just broken toys? My eyes darted in thought.

"No." I said suddenly. I felt all eyes on me. "No. We are not going to be tossed aside like puppets or broken toys. I can't believe what I'm hearing. But if this is how cosmic beings play with their creations, they won't look at the one defect out of the several zillions of creations out there who will just end up putting them in their place." I then shifted, finding myself to move as I sat up and floated with my hooves dangling. Ouroboros's eyes widened, and the voice let out a surprised gasp. "I think I can sympathize with Din's argument here. Her resistance is valid. If I was in her hooves, I would be just as angry. I don't fight authority, but I will call it out if it stinks. And the very beings who seem to have the sole purpose of maintaining our realms are sitting on their asses and watching a sport. Or a cartoon. Whatever the hell you may think of it." I put a hoof to my chest. "I won't stand idly by and be tossed aside. My name is Quiet Fire. I am a pony of Equestria. A descendent of a primal and Starswirl the Bearded. The vessel of Din. I maybe an ant to your magnifying glass, but I do not care for the slightest of mismanagement."

I turned to Ouroboros. "You screwed up, Ouroboros. You're the sole reason we are in this. And there isn't denying it. You got sloppy. You got bored. Somebeing slipped by you and now you are in a scramble to fix it. By pulling us and your 'daughters' out of a toy box. Instead of doing anything to help, you made up bylaws. You then imprinted them into the seven in hopes that continuing to feed them sweet promises that'll never happen as a means to cover up your own actions." I looked at the serpent stoically. I wasn't afraid. I wasn't panicking. I was calm. Collected. Annoyed. "Considering what you'll say at the end of this, it'll decide whether or not I take these bits of info I've absorbed to take to someone of a higher power than you. The Goddess of Creation." I don't know what came over me. That title popped into my head instantly. It was as if something was guiding me to say this. Something... cosmic. I could see Ouroboros shift and growl.

"How do you...?" he began. I tapped my head.

"I don't. The mortal me anyway. The primal me is racking the noggin' up here. But everything the primal says or does, will be transferred over into the mortal me. So, even if you tuck me away into a corner, I will always remember this beyond time. And since Din has already absorbed what I've gathered, she will take it with her till the end of creation. And if the instability happens again, the next vessel she picks, considering her luck so far, would already probably usurp the bylaws. Then, the Elements of Power will be free to do whatever. Sail the stars. Claim their domains. But they will never claim this realm. For I will remain forever the observer of it." What has gotten into me? It was like as if something else had taken over. A different me. But... it's still me. Ouroboros narrowed his many eyes.

"I do not think you heard me, Fie. I've stated that this would be the last because of you. You are the key to forever keeping the stability of the realm." he said. "Starswirl was a fool for doing what he did. A mere mortal mating with a primal. The notion is insulting. But, it did spark a big debate amongst my peers. This... accident is just happenstance. Unintentional and unwelcoming, but now we get to fully test this hybrid." I shook my head.

"I can play that game for many eons, Ouroboros. But it's you who are going to suffer from all of it. Because there is one thing you didn't account on. The primal who he fell in love with." I smirked. Ouroboros balked. I never seen a massive serpent reel back in shock before.

"But... how... I thought..." he began. I tapped my head and grinned.

"Starswirl taught me what it was like to be in the realm of the mortals. The lives and life he preserves and protects. You should have appreciated it more, Ouroboros. What your own 'mother' charged you with." I said. "Starswirl and I couldn't have worked out, like you said. But we both knew who we were. And you created me to absorb and gather info for you to solidify your own bylaws. Mortals are fascinating creatures. You'd know that if you weren't so high up here to even listen to anything. The many times balance has been broken and you've only ever watched." Ouroboros hissed and growled. I wanted to panic. I wanted to scream. But whatever had a hold of me kept me calm. Reassured. And even warm.

"You know the very rules of balance. You know our position and status, yet you choose to out me as the cause of it all?" he growled. I then looked over to the shooting stars. Ouroboros glanced at them. "And what do they matter?" he growled again. I looked back stoically.

"It matters because they are the enforcers. These 'Archbeings' are going to arrive into the realm soon and when they see how poor you have managed this realm, we'd have to start over. And I have to say, your 'mother' doesn't like starting over." The voice guffawed.

"Hah! She's got ya' there!" it said. Ouroboros hissed.

"Silence, oaf!" Ouroboros rose up all six vessels and they faced me. "You were created by me and I can do what I please with my own 'gifts'. Each one imprinted with my own bylaws. You are no exception. How can you be? I doubt Starswirl even considered that much." he said. "The seven stars are no different from you." My cosmic possession caused me to roll my eyes and motion at the six.

"True. And Starswirl didn't account for it, like you said. But there is a special form of cosmic power that not even you could manage." I then felt myself go limp and suddenly float and dangle. My eyes widened as I saw a distorted and slightly invisible transparent form of a pony walk forward. No distinct features. No mane or pupils. Not even a tail. It was like looking at a blank slate. "A loophole in your bylaws. That was something Excalibur figured out." The mouth didn't move from the figure, but it mimicked my voice. "Do not underestimate the mortals you rule over, Ouroboros. Take it from the very being you created to gather as much info for you. If you can't even listen to your own rules, then why should Din? Why should any of them?" Ouroboros snapped his massive jaws at the figure. A loud clap echoed throughout space, which I didn't think was possible.

"You dare speak of such a thing in front of mortals?? You need to take your own advice, Equulie. Granted that the seven are competitive from their previous hosts, two have chosen very evil hearts." He said, a massive grin spreading across his face. The transparent figure turned back to look at me.

"Then perhaps we can make a bet." she said. "Quiet Fire. I have to thank you for being who you are in all of this. I've never experienced such a warm heart before. Warmer now thanks to Din. You both have been tasked by Ouroboros and even your princesses. Conflicting in nature. But your hearts are driving each other forward. Closed off as they might be, you two do need to achieve more than friendship and harmony." She nodded. "Achieve that and ascension. I'm willing to bet that you can stick it to Ouroboros and change the entire fundamental laws of our universe." The figure rubbed her chin. "It's going to be a long and difficult journey to achieve that at all. And unfortunately, I cannot help you in the slightest. Meerly observe. But something about you, Quiet Fire, I don't think the very form of creation has ever accounted for." The figure then turned to Ouroboros. "If both Quiet Fire and Din can achieve their union ascension and rewrite the bylaws, you'll be out of the job." Ouroboros's eyes glinted as he lowered himself to the figure.

"An interesting proposition you make. Fine. I would enjoy seeing this mortal and my daughter try to achieve even the slightest hint of primal comprehension to push me aside. If they do, I will gladly accept. But if they cannot handle it during the deadline, then I will continue as planned." He then rose up a bit over the six. "Take heed, daughters. Your very own has challenged each and everyone of you for domination and ascension. You will continue to follow the bylaws in the midst of mortals and this realm. However, there is only one rule in this betting game." he grinned. "Tackle it however you please. The one who can put Din in her place shall be granted their own realm full time. This... I will officially promise." Din growled.

"Keep talking, wyrm. As if your words hold any meaning anymore. But fine. If my own sisters want to have at it with the very queen of this realm, I welcome it." I heard the sound of hooves smacking together. "I will agree to this bet, Equulie. I've beaten four of you already! What's the worst they can do that they couldn't before?" I balked as Ouroboros grinned and a giant claw rose up, snapping loudly across space as I saw the auras of the six flare brightly.

"I like your fire, Din. I'm can almost start calling you my favorite. But you are currently in the host of primal blood. It's only fair if the others get a power boost as well." he said. Equulie turned to me. She flashed and I saw Twilight Sparkle in front of me, her motherly smile spread across her face. She tilted her head slightly.

"I have full faith in you, child of the stars. You as well, Din. I wish I could help more, but I am not supposed to exist." she said. I then shook my head slightly.

"W-wait a minute! Hold on! I... I can't get a say in this!? I'm the one at the center of it all!" I protested. Din sighed.

"Please, vessel. Don't ruin my glorious moment to put my sisters in their places. Grubs beneath my hooves!" she cackled. The figure of Twilight Sparkle waited for me to speak, as did Ouroboros. Realizing they were, I quickly responded.

"I... I'm just one pony. I don't... even know how to handle all of this information... and the worst part of it all is that I don't even get to have a say in me being forced into another primal game??" I then frowned and shook my head. "Why is it me!? Why me!? Why am I the one to be the center of it all!?" I felt my frustration increase. "Rrrrghhh!! Damn it! And damn you, Ouroboros! Damn all of you!" I couldn't think straight. I didn't ask for any this!! Why the hell should I cave in and be an obedient doll to cosmic beings? I looked at the figure, Equulie, and glowered. "Just like Princess Celestia you are making a huge gamble on me. On any of this! I didn't realize primals were about as dumb as us mortals. You know what? I agree with Din. Let the whole damn universe come at us!" I then felt my body move and I heard another shocked gasp from the voice and Ouroboros. Equuile, in Twilight form, had a pleased smile as I had the will to throw out my hoof and point at Ouroboros. "Watch, Ouroboros, as your favorite 'toy and daughter' kick your ass to the ends of the universe!! I'll make you regret slacking off on your cosmic duties to keeping our realm safe! And I'll make it ten times worse because you decided to toss me into all of this!!" I stared down the serpent coldly and gritting my teeth. The halberd suddenly formed into my hoof and I curled my hoof around it. It flashed as Din formed into a physical being of how I see her in my head. She had a calm look. Her eyes studying. I then looked up at her in the corner of my eye. "Din, I still don't trust you to be anything but a damned heartless being that wants to kill me and my friends at a drop of a hat. But... for once, I'll give you a break from me complaining in regard to you wanting to fight back. We aren't going to be set aside like some broken toys!"

Din suddenly smiled. Albeit, in her usual evil way. But then she unfurled her wings, staring up at the serpent.

"We finally agree on something, vessel. Then, let us show no mercy to those that oppose us. They will bow before the might to the apex of the world!" Equulie was smiling from ear to ear. She then turned to Ouroboros.

"The bet is on, Ouroboros. Hopefully, this'll be a lesson for you not to slack off ever again." she said. Ouroboros reared back and laughed. It echoed and boomed throughout space.

"It's adorable that you all think you can best me. I'm just trying to correct my own mistake. Is that not enough to warrant forgiveness?" he said coyly. The voice finally spoke after being quiet for a while.

"I don't know, Ouroboros. I hope you know why I'm here. I'm here as a messenger from the Archbeings themselves. You are being asked for by the Courts. I, as well as they, know what you have been up to." The voice said. Ouroboros clicked his tongue and slumped.

"And I was just getting to the good part. Very well." He looked down at us. "Play nice, girls. I'll be back before mid-Spring. And Fie?" I narrowed my eyes at the serpent. "May the best primal win."

~~~***~~~

The train clattered and a slight bump shook me awake. I looked around at the dark cabin, hearing the quiet snoozing of my companions. I winced as I rubbed my cheek. I was still sore from the Bugbear fight. No pony was seriously hurt, surprisingly. I used my magic to reach for a candle and lit it, sliding out of the bed and yawning. I leaned over to take a look outside. We were day two on the train. I was surprised how long it took to get from Neighagra Falls to Canterlot. It was still dark out, but the clock over the window read it was very early morning. I looked over to the sleeping lumps of my companions in their bed. Scribble slept in the bunk next to mine. He was hugging his journal on his chest as he snoozed soundlessly on his back. Thi slept in the bunk above him and was sloppily sleeping in a position I thought was a little too uncomfortable, the blanket wrapped around one hind leg, her entire lower body resting on the side and her upper body somewhere on her back and side. Cloudchaser and Flitter slept in their bunks next to theirs. I sighed and blew out the candle before quietly making my way to the exit of the cabin. I snuck past the sleeping ponies as quietly as I could before reaching the back end of the train. I closed the door behind me and leaned over the railing, watching the passing mountains and valley expanse. The snowfall gentle as it blurred past me.

My mind went back to that summon dream. Did I really just declare an all-out war against the six other power elements and Ouroboros himself? I wondered if the others could hear the conversation as well. It was hard for me to tell, but I can only assume they did. I thought back to Sharp Eye. Appleloosa's own griffon helper. Catlyn, the stalwart and adventurous Captain of the Black Whiskers. Zalas, the disgraced but loyal follower to Quetzalcoatl. I still don't know who the other three are and if they have any real clue as to what is going on. I sighed again and held out a hoof. A snowflake fluttered onto my flack and I studied it. Each snowflake was unique. They aren't the same, as for what I had learned in school. The ponies up in the Weather Factory certainly were skilled enough to make billions of these beautiful crystalline like flakes. I blew the snowflake and it fluttered out of my hoof and back into the wild.

What is going to happen to me? What will I become? How can I even begin to start on anything? This was all so... exhausting and frustrating. Why does it have to be me? Why couldn't it have been anypony else? I curled my hoof around the railing and gripped it tightly in frustration.

Hmhmhm. You shouldn't worry your pretty little fire streaked head, vessel. There is no backing out of this. And there is definitely no alternative to it. If I had picked anycreature else, they wouldn't hold up the end of the bet. Din said boredly. I blinked and found myself in the pitch black of Din's domain. I looked over my shoulder to face her. She was... tinkering with something? I narrowed my eyes and saw her messing with a strange, cube like rock. It glowed with a warm amber glow and looked unusual in design. An etch that seemed to have no real direction.

'What are you doing?' I thought. Din tapped the cube.

Something Equulie gave to me the first time I've met her. She gave each of us these cubes that if we could open, we would be able to gain the insight necessary to become our better selves. A stronger, and ascended version of our power is locked in these little spectacles and I plan on using it to my full power. She grinned as it creaked and shifted in the air, her levitation trying to work it. It was almost comical to see her stick her tongue out in concentration. I stood up and walked over to her, sitting down and looking up at the cube. Din grumbled something as she shook it, shifting and twisting it. If I can... just get this open, I'll have the upper hoof against my newly gifted sisters. Their granted power will be no match for ascension. She then blinked and looked to me, frowning and moving the cube away from me. What do you want, anyway? This better be good if you are trying to distract me from besting my sisters. She growled. I rubbed the back of my head.

'I still don't understand how I end up here. Why do you all act like I need something when I 'wander' into the domains?' I asked. Din snorted.

A vessel appearing into a domain requires a desire to ask something of their element. Power, questions. The usual mortal curiosities. But seeing as you just mindlessly wander in on me and my sisters, you wind up exposing yourself and me for that matter. I do not like being disturbed. She growled and waved a hoof in no particular direction. The many times I've had to kick out Ouroboros and the other vessels from walking in on me. The nerve. I slumped and shrugged.

'Whatever you say, your majesty.' I thought sarcastically. Din scoffed and brought the cube back in front of her.

If you got nothing else to say, then leave. I didn't ask for you to show up here when I start conversation. she said. I snickered suddenly.

'You? Wanting to start a conversation with me? Usually, you just cackle like an evil bitch and have a diehard or not at all attitude. Did that whole meeting give you a different perspective?' I asked. Din shook her head without missing a beat as she studied the cube.

Never the thought, vessel. The meeting was pointless and only meant to rub it in my face. That damn serpent and the bulbous oaf. If anything, it just fired me up, as you mortals say. My sisters were given a gift from the serpent and I only have you. You alone with my power can best them, but this time, I need a different approach. If only this damned cube would make sense! She growled as she non-chalantly spoke, shaking the cube in frustration. I looked at her with a slight gap. Did she just... acknowledge me in something? And is she... really preparing rather than lazing about in my head? If what she says is true, then the other times before, she would have been indeed cautiously observing. Now that I think about it, her reaction and combat prowess are quite honed. Could she have been... observing and honing her instincts? Something her previous host had taught her I can imagine. Din frowned.

I can hear your thoughts, you know. If it'll make you go away quicker, I do not care for acknowledging your own skills. They are beneath me. Anything to go against any primal power requires my help and I'm the one doing the driving most of the time. And while I would love to do nothing but just rest and conserve my power, it's difficult to manage when your mind is a total mess of clutter and insatiable want for another. My previous hosts are not of your concern. We are in the now and I'm going to punch that serpent in the face one way or another. she said, twisting and turning the cube. There were several loud clicks and Din grinned triumphantly. She continued to twist and turn before growling. She then waved a wing towards me. Begone already. I need to focus. I blinked and found myself staring back out over the railing of the train. I tossed my hood up and sighed.

'I guess there isn't anyway of backing out of it anymore. I'm locked in and even if I could, there wouldn't be anyway to stop whatever is going to arrive come summer time. I heard the door behind me open and I saw Thi walk out. She smiled.

"There you are. Was heading to the washroom when I saw your bunk empty. Enjoying the view?" she asked. I didn't say anything and went to look back to the passing scenery. I heard Thi shift a bit before leaning over the railing with me. She glanced at me worriedly. "Fie... are you still upset about me lying to you back in Trottsberg?" she asked. I almost forgot about that. Her bringing it up brought back my mood. But, even if I could try to stay mad, it was impossible to. I just sighed and shook my head.

"Thi. There were a lot of things I expected of you when we first met. I knew you were trouble and yet, you went out of your way to befriend a hopeless mess of a pony like me. Am I any better if I continued to stay mad at you? I'm still unsure if I can trust you fully right now. But I don't want it to really change who we are as friends. It's part of the dynamic. We make mistakes and then apologize to continue on. I'm just waiting on a proper apology. But no, Thi. I can't be mad at you. I'm mad at the fact that you were living your best for the sake of my own and I was left rotting away in Ponyville." I explained. Thi bowed her head and ruffled her mane.

"I..." she began. She groaned and sighed before looking out at the scenery. "You're right, Fie. I'm a total mess up of a pony myself. I should have written back to you when I had the chance. Trust me, I had several letters waiting to send back to you, but I just lost track of time as I was being hunted by the Triad. Those guys are relentless." she said. I nodded.

"Well, at least you took care of their watchdog." I said. Thi gave a stoic and contemplative look.

"I'd always hope it would be like those cartoons or movies where the villain would perish from their own misstep. Many times have I witnessed Marrow Bone, General Lilac and even Moonlight Sonata from suffering fates that should have killed them. But then they show up a month or so later, back at it with another scheme." she said. I looked to her.

"This Moonlight Sonata. What is she like?" I asked. Thi tapped her head.

"Completely cold and insane. She doesn't show any emotion to anything. Considering she's the queen to her kingdom, Euclides, and the very founder of the Triad. I don't think there is a single ounce of pony behind those eyes." she said. I rubbed my chin.

"Hold on. If the Triad have been around for centuries and the founder is still living... did she find an artifact long ago to gain immortality? Is that why she keeps coming back?" I asked. Thi shook her head.

"Immortal and invulnerable are two different things. She isn't invulnerable to suffer injuries. But she is, indeed, immortal." She shivered. "It's almost strange for me to say it. But she's a natural born alicorn, like Celestia and Luna." she said. I balked.

"You're kidding?!" I exclaimed. Thi shook her head.

"If I was, you could buck me off this train right now. I don't know if Moonlight Sonata comes from the same place as Celestia and Luna did. Wherever that would be. But she isn't quite as regal as our two rulers. Sure, she may look elegant, but again, she's a ruthless and cold tyrant who is out to invade Equestria. It doesn't help that the Kingdom of Fenice is in partnership with the Kingdom of Euclides. All that crystal tech being made and exchanged. Equestria is only barely scratching the surface with their discoveries. But anything we have now is all thanks to Pony Land." she said, withdrawing her arc pistol and aiming it down sights into the railroad. "Even our illegal arc weapons. Harnessing the might and resources from our neighbors. It's pretty clever, don't you think? Export the resources to your neighbors, make a demand and profit from it. Sell well in the market and then create overseas business into Mainland Equestria. The Triad have their hoof already at the door. It's just a matter of when they'll buck it down and rain arc fire." She sighed and holstered it.

"Arc ammo is surprisingly easy to make as well. Just a simple bit of arcane powder grinded down from an elemental shard, compressed into a brass shell and then sprinkle in some phoenix ash and seal it with a rubber head. Press it and voila. One single arc bullet with whatever element you have. Just one shard from an elemental crystal can make up to seven boxes of arc ammo." She motioned in front of us. "Which, like the Pocketgold, is native to Pony Land." she snorted. "Glad you were able to burn those bushels back there. Don't want anypony going through what we went through." I looked at her and was almost unsure if I should ask or not.

"Thi? What did you trip out about?" I asked, giving into the temptation. Thi rubbed her chin.

"Can't really recall. Though, I remember a lot of spinning and laughing. It was also pixelated and everything was moving at like a strange pacing. There was also a dog? I only remember snapping out of it after bumping into you." she said. I snickered and that got Thi to smile. She then sighed and put a hoof on my shoulder. "Fie. I really am sorry about missing out on six years of your life. Honestly, I know I kind of offered friendship back in CSGU, but I truly did see you as one once that whole situation with Butcher was handled. Even more so after they tried to defame you." She grinned and playfully slugged my shoulder. "I honestly wouldn't have held it against you if you didn't go through with my dumb antics. But the fact you stayed to ensure I wouldn't get myself killed... I always liked that about you. And I was glad I was able to solidify it after words. But... I just got caught up in everything over in Pony Land that thinking about the time we could have been spending would be in a whole lot of trouble if I let the Triad had their way." she said. I sighed and shook my head, smiling.

"I appreciate you too, Thi. Even though you were always a pain in the ass and reckless, I always thought you were a good pony at heart." I said. Thi grinned.

"Probably that Hoofington instinct you have." she snickered. I chuckled and slugged her back.

"Nah. Just a mare's intuition is all." I said. I then furrowed my look. "But... even if you spent six years trying to stop the Triad from knowing about me, it's already gone down the drain. If it wasn't the news following our odyssey, it would have been Zalas bringing me back to Marrow Bone, who I'm certain had already called in the founding of another element bearer." Thi nodded sadly.

"Yeah. That sucked to have happen. But now there isn't going back. We have to remain vigilant from this point onward. The Triad are indeed planning to invade Equestria. And with the discovery of the Elements of Power, I can only assume they are going to actively look for them and either break their will to work for them or will keep them contained until they would be used." she explained. "We need to let the others who we know already to be on guard." I rubbed the back of my head.

"I think... they already know." I said. "Well, partially. But for certain they will now." Thi looked at me worriedly.

"What do you mean?" she asked. I looked over to see the sun peeking over the horizon. I motioned with my head.

"I'd rather have everypony in on this. Let's head back and I'll explain then over breakfast." I smiled and rubbed my stomach. "Could do with some hotcakes."


I sat at the bar table, looking down at my uneaten hotcakes. Usually, I’d be digging in. But somehow, I wasn’t feeling so hungry. Cloudchaser and Flitter sat next to eachother, Cloudchaser sitting next to me, while Thi and Scribble were at the table behind us. Both were drinking coffee while Cloudchaser dug into her oatmeal and Flitter tenderly eating cereal. I could tell, I was getting worried glances from them.

I sighed and turned around in my stool, peeking out from under my hood.

“What’s the matter, Fie? You usually dig in before saying anything.” Cloudchaser stated as she looked at me. I nodded.

“Yeah… well… I’m not as hungry as I thought.” I said. Scribble sipped his coffee before looking at me.

“Then perhaps, whatever you need to get off your chest would suffice?” He asked. I nodded again. I then told them everything that I had dreamt of. How I was having a reoccurring dream of walking on the moon. The supposed meeting of Ouroboros, the seven and another cosmic being in attendance. The revelation of Equulie and how she has been appearing to me in form. When I got finished about declaring Din and myself against the others, my friends grew quiet. Flitter broke it.

“But… we are already friends with Gwyen, Catlyn and Zalas aren’t we?” She asked. I slumped and nodded.

“Yes. Their hosts. Gaia, Aquarius and Ventus have been given a second chance of coming at us. I’m… I’m not sure how I can face them when spring hits. Would we end up clashing again, but more intense this time? They’ll for sure take over their bodies to get a chance at us.” I sighed. “I’m such an idiot… but what else could I have done? I don’t think I was given so much of a choice. And I went along with this dumb bet.” I then hugged myself. “What is going to happen to me? To this world? To our realm? If I fail…things would go back to normal… but what would happen to me and the six others? I… I’m terrified of the aftermath…” I felt something soft and warm comfort me. I looked up to see Cloudchaser wrapping a wing around me and smiling.

“No worries. If that ever happened, we wouldn’t let you vanish or anything worse. Knowing Princess Twilight, Celestia and Luna are doing what they can in order to counter any influence, we’ll work just as hard for the sake of everycreature. Including you.” She said. I gave a soft smile and a blush. Flitter peeked around her and smiled.

“We got this, Fie! Through thick and thin!” She said happily. Scribble gave a small smile.

“Having a cosmic force to go up against. It’ll be quite tricky. So long as we stick to our guns, I believe you can work something out.” He said. Thi smirked and pointed at him.

“Oh, trust me. I have plenty of them ready to rain arc fire.” She rubbed her chin. “I wonder if there is a way to infuse the arc ammo to injure primals.” I looked at each of them and found my determination increasing.

“Thank you, guys. I don’t know what I’d do without you all by my side.” I said softly. The bartender behind us turned on the radio as he was wiping glasses.

”Good morning denizens of Equestria. Anchor Press bringing you more news from coast to coast. Our field journalists have been hard at work getting you the truth and more. We’ll begin today with what’s going on in today’s World Letter News. This just in, Equestrian Ministries Incorporated has released an official statement debunking the claims presumed to point evidence of criminal involvement in smuggling and native site desecrations. However, recent pieces of a cargo ship belonging to Equestrian Ministries has been washing ashore with relics of ancient past.

“No word on any denying or confirming the evidence against Equestrian Ministries have been filed or proven in the court of law. In other news, the roads between Fillydelphia to Manehatten to Appleloosa and more have been a lot safer thanks to the combined efforts of the Hunters Association and Animal Collection guild and volunteer fighters under their majesty’s name. The H.A.A.C. have agreed to a full term partnership with the volunteer fighters and have created the now known Realm Defense Force. Dedicated to bringing peace and harmony to the lands from both monstrous or incomprehensible. To any travelers out on the road and planning to travel, be sure to thank our chimera cross bearing individuals as they work diligently to maintain the safety of our roads.

“In political news, Princess Miamore Cadenza of the Crystal Empire has declared a threat has been made towards the Frozen North. No official word of the group responsible for the threat, but to any who want to travel to the Empire are required to undergo multiple inspections. Princess Celestia and Luna have agreed to send forces to aid in our neighboring lands to ensure proper safety and protection is guaranteed to all. Prince Rutherford has also declared a threat has been made against Yakyakistan and have currently closed off any roads leading to their lands in an effort to prevent any dangers from getting in or out.

“The Dragon Lands own Princess Ember has agreed to aid in keeping the lands safe, providing aid where she can with her own forces. Yet, tensions between Equine and Dragon have been mixed and has led to questions if our allies are worth the trouble. The Changeling Kingdom’s own King Thorax has begun to amass an army, waiting to provide any effort against the threat towards Equestria. They have also begun negotiations with a way to help the Dragon Kingdom from stepping out of line. The Duke and Duchess of Saddle Arabia remain neutral, but plan to defend and aid should the time be called upon” There was an audible sigh from Anchor Press. "My dear viewers and listeners. It is no surprise that we are waging a war against forces we cannot understand. And with the sudden threats against our neighbors, it is unknown who is responsible for all of this. But if you have been listening to the words of a news pony and his crew, know that we will bring you the truth, unveiling the darkness that clouds our peace and harmony. I once again, thank each and everyone of you for maintaining that hope and tranquility we continue to strive for in dire times. And now, to the final report of the news.

“Our fire maned hero and her companions have been recently sighted in Manehatten, with the exclusion of her griffon friend absent. Witnesses have reported that the mare has been seen having the time of her life in a little district known as Little Neighpon. It gives us all a reminder that even those who bear the very elements protecting us are just like you and I. Her vigilance in combating the powers beyond our mortal coils continue to inspire many to this day. And citizens can rest easy that even through the toughest and darkest times of our lives, we must continue to be our best selves. Fire bearer. If you are hearing this, we all will take your example and continue to uphold our pledge to our country. Our neighbors. Our home. Thank you for your time, listeners. We will return to you with the afternoon news.

“You know, a bird once told me that even through the tears, a rainbow will always glimmer inside of it. To show you how special and loved you really are. Didn’t think so? Well, how about a Songbird Serenade to tell you other wise.” Anchor Press went quiet and music began playing. I looked to my companions. We all had the same thought. On top of cosmic forces acting like we are playthings, our Pony Land neighbors are waging war. And there is going to be a stark difference between the QLF one and an all out one. Thi sighed.

“So, what’s next on the agenda? Find the other bearers as usual? Do we have any idea where they could be?” She asked. Scribble pulled out the three scrolls and rolled them out for her.

“We were hoping to ask you that.” He said. Thi scanned the scrolls and tapped her chin.

“Hunh… I’m not quite sure what the cry of this maiden is. Nor what the shackles mean.” She hummed and tapped her hoof. She then slumped and shook her head. “Shiva’s sounds too vague. Let’s see…” she looked to the other. “Where day turns to night… embrace the dark…” she scrunched her muzzle in thought. “That… honestly could be anything. It does sound like there is a direct area that is an eternal night. But that only makes me think of Nightmare Moon. Hang on…” she then shifted to the last one. “Where the goddess of creation lies… The Unknown Alicorn.” She said. Flitter cocked her head.

“The Unknown Alicorn?” She asked. Thi nodded.

“Somewhere in Pony Land, there is a ruin with a decrepit unmarked statue of a regal alicorn. No pony knows who she was. Nor what they could make of the ruins around her fallen statue. The place she lies has been known to flood. I’ve only see it in passing during my time there. But it was underwater. You could see the statue, as if the alicorn was ascending out of the water. There is a symbol on the pedestal of her statue that, from what I’ve learned, dates all the way back to the creation of our land. Not the first Hearths Warming. I’m talking like the actual time when this world was probably just a hunk of rock.” She sighed.

“That is going to be tricky to do. We have to travel to and from Fenice and Euclides to arrive at it. It marks the border between the two.” Cloudchaser shook her head.

“I am going to need a good solid minute before heading back out to sea.” She said. Scribble nodded.

“The Triad are a threat. And we’ll be walking into their territory as well as their neighboring kingdom. I’d say we have to prepare well in order to arrive there. Otherwise, this whole fate of Equestria will end as quickly as Thi’s ammo consumption.” He said. Thi nodded before blinking and looking up at him with a frown.

“You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take. I’d rather ensure I have a point zero-zero one percent chance.” She said. The intercom over us crackled.

Now arriving at Canterlot Station. Please return to your seats. Thank you. It crackled. Thi stood up and stetched.

“Good to be home.” She said.


The winterland of Canterlot. Exactly as we had left it. Well, aside from the now patched up hole the Roc left. It almost felt so surreal. It has only been a month, but it felt like a life time since I’ve stepped hoof into Canterlot. We walked from the station to the center plaza of the capitol town. Yet, something seemed a bit different. Thi noticed it as well as she looked up to see a hanging banner.

“Join the Hunters Guild today to enroll in benefits and to serve and protect our great land. Found off Oak Wood Street.” Thi looked to Scribble, who was studying it as we walked under.

“Seems H.A.A.C. is really taking the initiative on this one. Thankfully, I’m going to head by M.E.S.S. HQ to deliver my research and the Pocketgold sample. Might run into Quill Weaver while I’m there.” He said. He then pointed down. “We’ll meet back here. Handle any unfinished business before we depart for Hoofington.” I snickered and saluted.

“Sir, yes sir.” I said. Scribble rubbed the back of his head, looking bothered by the response before turning and trotting down the street. Thi sighed and shrugged.

“Can’t help but wonder what goes on in that head of his.” She said. I cast a sideways glance and smirked. She then returned my look and rolled her eyes. “What is it with everypony making something out of that? Can’t a friend just question about her other friends? Geez.” She said. I snickered and pat her shoulder.

“Relax, Thi. I didn’t say anything at all.” I said coyly. Thi glared at me and I looked to Flitter and Cloudchaser. “Well, I hope you have your reports ready.” I rubbed my foreleg a little. “We’re going to see Captain Cloud Fire.” Thi tilted her head.

“You sure about that? I mean… no offense, but I’m not sure how any of this is a good idea.” She said. I looked over my shoulder to her and nodded.

“You’re right… but… lately I can’t stop thinking about them. I… I want to see how they are doing. Just a quick ‘hello, hi’.” I said. Cloudchaser smiled.

“Don’t worry, Fie. As much as I admire the captain. We won’t let her do anything towards you.” She said. I shook my head.

“I’m not worried about any of that. What I’m worried about is… how it’ll be after.” I said. Flitter smiled.

“Then we’ll just have to find out ourselves.” She said. I nodded. I turned and faced the castle. Taking a deep breath, we trotted down the street and onto the main road to Canterlot Castle. The massive alabaster walls and towers loomed high over head. We made it to the bridge when two guards put their halberds in front of us.

“State your business.” The one on our right asked. I was impressed. These were mean looking guards. Thi cleared her throat.

“Well, hello boys. Nice looking spears you got there. But you don’t need to worry. I’m sure you heard of Quiet Fire and her friends?” She began. The guards scowled and I could see Thi’s look went from calculative to contemplating.

“No pony past this point. A threat has been made to Canterlot and unless we see some proper papers, we have to ask you to turn around and come back when the threat has de-escalated.” He growled. Thi looked to me and shrugged.

“Quiet Fire?” A voice said. We looked past the guards and we could see, to our pleasant surprise, Starlight Glimmer. She was accompanied by Sunburst and Trixie. Starlight smiled. “Well, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes.” She said, trotting over to us. She put a hoof on the shoulder of the guards. “It’s okay, boys. They are with us.” The guard turned to her.

“I’m afraid I cannot allow them to pass. Not until the threat has been dealt with.” He said. Trixie frowned.

“But they are the ones dealing with it.” She stated. “Yeesh, you can’t even take a simple walk around the garden without being unaccompanied by a guard.” She said with a grumble. Sunburst trotted over to us.

“We were just talking about you. It’s great to see you in good health.” He then looked to the guard. “Uhh… they are free to walk in. Guests of honor. They helped Canterlot and the princesses with the Roc attack.” He said. The stallion snorted.

“No papers. No entry. Simple as that.” He said. Wow. A guard sticking to his guns. I can admire that. But this was beginning to get on my nerves. I felt a surge of energy and stared at the stallion. The stallion balked and quickly stood to attention. “M-my apologies, Fire Bearer. P-please head on through.” He said. I slumped. All I was doing was just trying to show proof I’m somepony of importance. But why was he showing so much terror? My friends and the others exchanged glances before Starlight shrugged and waved us in.

We walked towards the entrance as Starlight studied me.

“So, I’m pretty curious. What is it like to go primal mode?” She asked. I blinked and looked at her, unsure if she used Primal conveniently or otherwise. But seeing her curious smile, I shrugged.

“Just happens. Sometimes I’m not in control. I’m told it also happens when my desire to be courageous and protect others manifests.” I said. Trixie trotted next to us.

“Is it true what they said? That you were able to make clones of yourself? Something that you’ve learned here in Canterlot?” She asked, a giddy smile on her face. I balked.

“How’d you know that?” I asked. Sunburt adjusted his glasses.

“One of Anchor Press’s field journalist has been tailing you since you fell the roc. They’ve been documenting everything.” He said. I furrowed my look and turned to my companions.

“I knew it.” I then looked around. “Where have they been hiding? How are they able to keep under low profile? How were they able to manage to follow us without dying?” I asked. Starlight giggled.

“Relax, Fie. They don’t mean any harm. And how we knew this is because we caught one of the field journalists camping out in one of the closets of the castle. She’s been tasked with keeping reports up with the princesses and political situations. It’s not just her. They have several ponies out in Equestria right now documenting it all.” She opened the door to the castle as we walked in and stopped in the foyer. “They use a potion of invisibility or a spell to mask their presences. If you haven’t seen the one tailing you, then they’ve been keeping far back enough to keep tabs on you and what goes around you.” She explained. Trixie rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, that’s all cool and all. But I still want to know how you are able to make clones of yourself! Starlight won’t teach me that spell.” She said. Starlight arched a brow at her.

“Because it’s an advance spell. And right now, you are trying to focus on transfiguration. I don’t want to see an amalgamation of my friend, thank you very much.” She replied. I rubbed the back of my head.

“W-well, I wouldn’t mind telling you. But I’m only back here for one reason. Is… Captain Cloud Fire around?” I asked in hesitation. Sunburst stroked his beard.

“She might be out doing morning drills with the guards. Perhaps you can find her out in the courtyard.” He said. Trixie sighed and tipped her hat.

“Alas, duty calls and the Great and Powerful Trixie is left to simple magic instead.” She said. I smiled.

“You know, I do appreciate stage magic too. It’s kind of how I am able to clone myself. I took inspiration from stage magic and mixed in illusion. Though, it took me a good while to even make one without burnout for five minutes.” I said. Trixie beamed and excitedly pushed past Starlight, catching an annoyed look from her friend before speaking.

“You have to tell me more! The Great and Powerful Trixie has ideas for her next tour. And a cloning one would do wonders!” She said.

“Okaaaay, easy there, girl.” Starlight said, pushing Trixie aside. “Let’s just save that thought for now and continue with what we were tasked to do.” She turned to me. “As Sunburst said, you’ll probably find Captain Cloud Fire out in the courtyard. Other than that, the only thing that has changed is the sudden disappearance of Ouroboros.” She furrowed her look. “He hasn’t shown up around you earlier or any time between your travels, has he?” My friends and I shook our heads.

“Not since the Manechester Tower incident.” Flitter said. Sunburst sighed.

“This is quite concerning. I’m not sure what that entails.” He said. Starlight rubbed her muzzle.

“Great… cosmic being of the universe gone missing. What could possibly go wrong?” She said with a groan. I rubbed the back of my head.

“I… have a good idea of where he might be.” I began. “But… I want to check up on something first. Later, we can all reconvene in the throne room.” Starlight smiled in relief.

“Good. Well, I guess we’ll see you later then.” She said. I smiled and nodded. The three trotted back towards the exit of the castle. I took a deep breath and turned to the double, winding stairs leading up to what would be the ball room. Making our way up and through the massive, empty room. I looked down the stairs as we passed by a bush. An open, circular courtyard had guards split up and doing separate routines. I scanned the area. No sign of a familiar pegasus. I hesitated as I walked down the stairs with my friends behind me.

I hope I wasn’t making them too anxious. When we got to the bottom of the stairs and looked around, Flitter nudged me and pointed to our left. There she was. The cold and stoic Captain of the Royal Guard, leaning against a statue and… snoozing? I exchanged glances with my friends, who shrugged. Cloudchaser smiled and waved at me to go on. I took a deep breath and walked over to her.

I tilted my head as I got closer to her. Cloudchaser’s words echoing in my mind.

I bet she hasn’t had a decent night's sleep.

I bit my lip, feeling my hesitation get the better if me. I raised my hoof towards her before stopping, pulling it back and sighing. I then yelped and tripped over myself as I saw her eyes shoot open and look at me. I fell to my haunches and rubbed my flank, wincing. I looked back up to her and felt small all of a sudden. My mother yawned and pushed herself off of the statue, rubbing her eyes before studying me. She then looked past me to my friends and narrowed her eyes before looking back at me.

“You’re back.” She began. I hesitated, giving a nervous smile.

“I-I am.” I stuttered. Our eyes met. I felt an overwhelming anxiety as she stared into mine. She then walked past me, looking towards the courtyard.

“Walk with me.” She said. I looked to my friends. They gave me encouraging smiles to cheer me on. Thi, however, was looking cautious, narrowing her eyes at her. I took a deep breath and followed after her. She trotted around the circular courtyard, eyeing the guards that were sweating and grunting from whatever drill they were running. I furrowed my look and glanced at her.

“You uhh… look tired.” I said. I facehoofed. Good one, Fie. My mother remained stoic as she stopped and turned to observe the ponies cantering back and forth.

“It has been taxing, to say the least. A threat has been made towards Canterlot and our neighbors. Not something I can really sleep on so much.” She said, yawning a bit. I looked at her worriedly. Come on, Fie. You’re here for a reason. Don’t blow it. I let out a soft exhale before turning to her.

“Mom. I…” I hesitated. My mom eyed me.

“Been… a while since I’ve heard that.” She said. I winced and sat on my haunches, bowing my head.

“Yeah… it has…” I said, rubbing my foreleg. My mom then crossed a foreleg over the other.

“Well. Since you are here, clearly you want to tell me something. I have time before the next drills.” She said. I looked up at her. Has she been trying to maintain sleep between everything?

“How… much have you slept?” I asked. My mother shifted, her eyes studying me. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking right now.

“A minimum of fourteen minutes between drills and only ten at night drills. Maintain hygiene during afternoon drills and finished for next day drills.” She said. I looked at her in awe. I then furrowed my look.

“Mom… that still is unhealthy.” I said. My mother narrowed her eyes at me.

“And why should that concern you?” She said. I winced and rubbed the back of my head. I darted my eyes in thought, uncertain of how I should go about this. Screw it, just hail mary. I sighed.

“I’ve been… thinking about you a lot. Not just you. But dad too. And my siblings.” I stood up to face her properly. “I… just wanted to check up on you and see how you are doing before I… I head to Hoofington to check on them.” My mother continued to eye me. Studying me.

“You’ve been through quite a bit, haven’t you.” She stated. I didn’t say anything. She motioned for me to follow and I walked with her as we moved to the next drills. “You know, I am well aware of what you’ve been up to. The news and journalist have confirmed a lot of the rumors. I’m… impressed.” She said. I looked at her. Impressed?

“Impressed with what?” I asked, narrowing my eyes slightly. My mother looked over to the next group of guards practicing with halberds.

“Your courage. Your desire to help others. It was… far more inspirational to the troops than anything.” She said. “At first, I was uncertain as to what Ouroboros sees in you. Perhaps… he had a bit more insight than me.” I tilted my head. That sounded strange. She yawned softly this time, shaking away her tiredness. I bit my lip before speaking.

“Mom… I… I came from you, right?” I asked. She arched a brow at me.

“Of course. I don’t see how you aren’t my child.” She said. I rubbed the back of my head.

“Well… what if… we weren’t… supposed to exist. Me and dad.” I began. My mother studied me again. It was getting a bit uncomfortable with the amount of studying she was doing.

“I find the idea to be a little odd. Did something happen to Wild?” She asked. I shook my head.

“No. At least, I hope not. I… I may have saw him at the Manechester Tower incident.” I stated. My mother nodded.

“Ever the one to aid where he can.” She said. She then sat down on her haunches and looked at me. “Quiet Fire. I am not going to judge you for anything. I don’t have time to do so. You have something you want to tell me.” She said. I slumped.

“Yes, but I just wanted to-“

“Then what is it?” She cut me off. I frowned.

“Why are you like this?” I asked. My mother remained stoic.

“Why am I acting like I always do? Why you can’t seem to understand why I am the way I am? How I failed as a mother?” She asked. I winced. That… stung a little more than I thought. But then… did that mean she was having those thoughts as well? I didn’t say anything but she took my reaction as a yes. “The fate of our realm is in danger. Equestria’s allies have been threatened and we are in a state of mass panic. Trying to manage things here among everywhere else has been exhausting, I will not lie. But I remain who I am. For if I do not, then I am no better than the scum your father brings into the court daily.”

I looked at her worriedly. My mother shook her head slightly.

“Do not begin to understand now. You’ve made your point quite clear the last you were under our roof. It’s too late for me to manage you. So, I will do what I do best. Maintain Equestria’s sword and shield.” I felt my frustration rise. I groaned and stomped my hoof.

“But that’s the thing! I’m not a filly anymore! I’ve grown up!” I began. My mother arched a brow.

“Have you?” She asked. I felt the sting but I stood my ground. I growled before finding myself calming. I sighed and bowed my head.

“You know what? I did grow up in my own life. Moving to Ponyville was the best thing to ever happen to me. I made new friends. I helped out the community. I was a good neighbor. But… the life I left behind was shattered. And I’ve been too lazy to patch it up. And I was afraid that repairing it now wouldn’t fix anything.” I met her gaze. “I shattered your world when I rejected your change. I was a filly back then. I didn’t know better and I was just really frustrated with you. Angry even. You were supposed to be my mother and you treated me like them.” I motioned to the guards.

“I didn’t want to be a Canterlot Guard. I wanted my own life. Not your life. And not dad’s. Look where it has gotten you. Restless sleep. Constant drills! Managing everything until your mental health drains and kills you!” I motioned to the opposite direction of the guards. “There is something bigger than you can manage out there waiting to arrive. It wouldn’t matter how much you trained and endured your troops and military. You’ll wind up sleeping way more than twenty-four minutes a day. I may not have understood what you were going through or what your position means to Equestria! But I do now!” I pointed to Cloudchaser in the distance.

“That pony over there got me to realize that. She explained to me how you are who you are.” I lowered my hoof. “She picked me up when I was in a very poor state of mind. She told me that we had to be our best selves. And I… I realize that now with you.” My mother narrowed her eyes slightly. “I’m not… expecting forgiveness. You have every right to be the way you are towards me. You tried to be my mother and I rejected it. And now…” I chuckled weakly as I withdrew my quarterstaff and placed it in front of me. “Now karma decides to throw the entire problems of the universe at me. I’ve become a plaything to cosmic beings. I’ve become a puppet to be made by my element. I’m now being hunted by a shadow organization that will not hesitate to kill to get to any of the seven, including me. I… I don’t think I’ll be around when summer happens…”

I didn’t see a reaction from her, but at this point, I’m already this far in. Might as well keep barreling through the clutter that is my family life.

“Mom… I… I’m here because I did want to check up on you. I am…” I slumped at the realization. “I’m trying to… be a daughter to you.” I groaned. “To you and dad. Which is why I’m heading to Hoofington as I said. I want to… see how my siblings are doing. I just… it’s been so long since we’ve ever spoken… it’s probably too late for anything to be patched up.” There was silence. I shut my eyes tight, a groan of embarrassment escaping me. I then felt a hoof under my chin that gently lifted me up. I met my mother’s gaze again. Stoic. But now, softer.

“Quiet Fire. I understand where you are coming from.” She said. "You have had a big responsibility thrown onto you without a second notice. And life has thrown a lot of things at you. But I've been following your exploits. How you've settled Appleloosa. The High Seas. Even the Nilneigh Islands. How you and your friends have been lending a hoof to the ones who cannot fight back against the forces of the primals." She brushed my bangs away. "When I was growing up, it was just me and my younger brothers. I had a lot of responsibilities back then and it shaped me into who I am now. I never got your adolescent life you had. I... realized that when you were beginning to... feel comfortable. Wild Fire and I had many chats and letters about the situation. We devised a... well a reformation plan. You always liked playing with sticks and pretending them to be swords. How you enjoyed those silly cartoons about knights and other supernatural stuff." I furrowed my look worriedly. "I guess... I got the wrong tells. Or maybe I didn't and it was just something I needed to back off from. Seeing you struggle with yourself and your life, we felt doing those would shape you into gaining self-respect and confidence in yourself. So that you would gain that courage to finally get what we couldn't. We wanted you to get into the Canterlot Guard so I could have you move closer to my job." I blinked in confusion. My mother remained stoically soft. "Hoofington has been under a lot of vicious gang violence lately and as heroic as your father is, he is just one pony. He wanted to move us out of there before there was no way out."

"B-but then dad is out there handling everything by himself? That's insane!" I stated. "Why wouldn't he come with us? You make it sound like he is shackled to Hoofington." My mom hummed as she pulled away and looked over to a vine covered statue of a pony.

"I do not know myself. I've had my own discussion with him about it. But he always just says that he has 'unfinished' business." She glanced down at me. "Perhaps you can try to get the answer out of him." I blinked.

"You haven't been able to recently?" I asked. She shook her head.

"He's gone dark for quite a while now. I am worried, but I cannot let it prevent me from performing my duty to Equestria." She put a hoof to her chest as she looked at me. "Your father and I knew who we were marrying. There were no regrets. Us having children was something I wanted." I balked.

"You wanted? But... well..." I rubbed the back of my head. "I just always assumed... that you had kids because you both thought it'd just be something to do and not bother with again?" She flicked my horn and I hissed, rubbing it.

"Quiet Fire, you are the third and youngest child. If we had Blitz Fire and called it there, he would be the one in the Canterlot Guard. When we had Heart Fire, we realized that we would have to work harder to provide and ensure both would be well educated and able to prepare for when we let them out into the world. When we had you, Blitz and Heart were well off on their own, only popping by when they had time. We wanted you to have a better future and life. And... I thought it would be fun to have my own daughter by my side in the Royal Guard." I stared in awe. I was feeling more than embarrassment. The guilt was also increasing.

All these years, I was contempt with my actions. I convinced myself they deserved it. But why? Why was it supposed to me? Why not Blitz? Why not Heart? I wavered my expression.

“S-so… you didn’t want Blitz or did you want him in the Royal Guard? W-what about Heart?” I asked. My mother sat up straight as she replied.

“At first, Blitz Fire had us in high spirits when he wanted to be a knight like in his favorite comic book. We did our best to enroll him into classes about being in such a position. But as he grew older, he… well… he wound up having some friends who got him into… a proposition he couldn’t refuse.” She sighed. “Is what I always told myself. But he wouldn’t hear any of it and continue to do it for a long while. Your father talked me into letting him figure his own life out and I focused on Heart more. But she was also well under her own way out of adolescence then. She would have done well as a stock broker, but she figured a company in a certain profession would provide better income, as she says.” She looked at me. “Again, Wild told me that she would have to figure that part of her life out.

“You still had a future that you could choose. As contempt with where you were, you had so much more potential than wasting away at home.” She rubbed her foreleg, still remaining stoically soft, but her cold expression seemed to change to a slight regretful expression. “I didn’t realize all that potential would be fighting for our realm. I only ever wanted to see you succeed. I never took your toys or games away because it would discourage you from reaching it. But… Wild said I had to be a bit stricter this time around.” My mother grew silent.

I glanced and noticed that we had caught some interest from the guards who were still in drills. Their eyes glancing over to us. I sighed and rubbed my own foreleg.

“I’m sorry mom… I really am an idiot. I was a total brat and needed to be pushed in the right direction. I did always wonder why you went from stone cold sparring Captain of the Royal Guard to concerned mother. It didn’t… make sense at all to me.” I sighed. “And I don’t think I ever will at this point. We’re too far gone in this making up thing.” My mother rose my head by the chin to meet her gaze again. There was a small smile now and I don’t know why that caught me completely off guard.

“Perhaps… it isn’t too late as I thought it has.” Her smile vanished as quickly as it appeared to me. Back to her usual stoic self. “I’m glad you went out of your way to check on me. I can nap a bit easier to know you are still in good health. I’m willing to give a second chance to start over. Perhaps as more than a mother. As a friend?” I felt my mouth creep into a smile. I don’t know why I was so relieved to hear that. All this anxiety and built up scenarios that have been running through my head for this very meeting have been cast aside. It’s been years. And if my mom wants to give it a shot, I’ll accept her this time. Not as a mother now as it is already too late for that. But as a friend. I then hugged her and she stiffened.

“I missed you, mom. I’d love to start over as friends.” I said, nuzzling under her chin. My mother was dumbfounded. Her hoof out behind me, hesitating at what to do. She slowly brought her hoof onto my back, softly hugging. I could see her struggling with a thought before she shut her eyes and hugged me properly. We held the hug for a good bit before pulling away. I smiled up at her and I saw her eyes widen. Her surprise turning into a respectful smile, brushing my bangs away.

“You’re growing your mane out. Taking after your father?” She asked. I chuckled and shook my head.

“I might cut it a bit. Didn’t know dad grew his out.” I then furrowed my look. “Which… I’ll have to ask what is going on with that.” My mother then reached into her utility pouch and brought out a small parcel box. She held it up to me.

“You still are working for the Ponyville Express, correct? Can you… please deliver this to Wild? It’s something I’ve been meaning to give him but alas, never could have the time”. She said. I smiled and nodded, pocketing the parcel into my saddle bag. My mother then looked past me and stood up. “What are you all gawking at? Gather by the stairs of the courtyard. All of you. I’ll give you more work than what you all already have for staring off into space.” She commanded. The guards that had seemed to watch our reconciliation had immediately stood to attention before scrambling towards the courtyard stairs. She then put a whistle to her mouth and blew it before shouting. “That goes for all of you! Double time it!” The guards that were doing their own separate drills panted and dragged themselves over to the stairs.

My friends had to climb back up the stairs. I looked to my mother and she nodded at me.

“You picked out good friends, Quiet Fire. And I’m hoping I can be just as much an ally to you.” She said as we walked over to the gathering troops. I pat my chest reassuringly.

“I had a lot of time to think. This is something I do want to have happen. I just couldn’t… find the right way to get it.” I said. She gave another soft smile.

“Just remember to never let your guard down. Ponyville ponies have a tendency to hurt themselves under stressful situations as well as have poor on the fly judgement.” She said. I nodded with a grin.

“I have you to thank for me not being so careless.” I said.


Me and my friends trotted through the hall towards the throne room. Cloudchaser smiled at me.

“How are you feeling, Fie?” She asked. I looked up at her.

“Never better. I feel like I had a massive weight lifted off of my shoulders.” I replied with a small smile as I opened the door to the throne room with my magic. Thi shrugged.

“I’m just glad we didn’t have to do anything drastic.” She said. I snickered.

“More like you have too. Mom may think you are okay being around me, but you are still on the watch list.” I said with a hoof wiggle. Thi slumped and pointed at me.

“When you bond more with your mother, maybe you can talk to her about that. I’m not the enemy.” She said. Flitter giggled.

“Nope. You are Equestria’s biggest gremlin.” She said. Thi looked up at her with an arched brow.

“Gremlin? Me?” She then rubbed her chin. “You know, thinking about it more, I think I prefer that than local terrorist.” She said.

“Or perhaps, stalwart ally.” A voice said. We looked to see Princess Celestia at her throne with Princess Luna by her side. She unfurled her wings and smiled at us. “Welcome back, my subjects. I pray your journey has been well?” Thi shrugged.

“If you call combatting the gods and a shadow organization, then yeah. I’d say it’s been pretty kick ass.” Thi said non-chalantly. Cloudchaser and Flitter bowed before the throne while Thi and I remained standing, unsure if we should follow suite. Princess Luna waved a hoof.

“No need for formalities here. You may rise.” She said. The sisters exchanged glances before doing so. Princess Celestia walked down the steps to us.

“We’ve been following your odyssey with the news. It is good to see you all in good health.” She looked between us. “Where is Silver Scribble?” I motioned behind us.

“Handling his organization duties while we have time.” I then sighed. “Princess Celestia? Princess Luna? Is it alright if I can have everypony gather here? Twilight and her friends. My mom… err… Captain of the Royal Guard in attendance? I figured I would update everypony in person. It’s… going to be a long one.” I said.

PreviousChapters Next