• Published 8th Aug 2017
  • 589 Views, 9 Comments

Primordial Conflict - Jumping Jack



A young mare must journey Equestria in order to fulfill a universally unavoiadable fate along with seven others in order to prevent the disruption of universal law. All the while trying to prevent a dark force from acquiring their elements.

  • ...
1
 9
 589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Sharp Eye, Heralder of the Earth

Chapter 15: Sharp Eye, Heralder of the Earth

I sat tiredly at the bar, groaning as my head was killing me. Din was really agitated last night and there was no way to really tell her to simmer down. I would always be met with a swear or thrown back out. I sighed and the bartender handed my order of blueberry hot cakes and milk. Nothing like starting the day with hotcakes. I used my magic to move the utensils to cut into the cakes, chewing down and perking up with more energy. I licked my lips before digging back in, finishing my breakfast rather too quickly. Thi was next to me, drinking coffee and chatting to Galavance, who was seemingly on edge right now.

“Relax, Gal. We have it under control. Need to properly revitalized yourself before taking on a big problem.” She explained. Galavance sighed and shook her head.

“I just can’t stop thinking about it. The moving foliage, the Thunder Bird. Even the buffalo. They are at war with each other and we are just sitting here eating… pancakes.” She said frustratingly. I took a little offense to that.

“They are hotcakes. Pancakes are good, but they don’t have the fluff and bounce of hotcakes.” I said, rubbing my stomach. Sweet, sweet fullness. Galavance grumbled and took a sip of her own coffee. I saw Cloudchaser and Flitter finally walking into the saloon, both yawning.

“Morning, everypony.” Flitter said, rubbing her eyes. Cloudchaser took a seat next to me and I flushed as the pegasus mare waved at the bartender.

“Eggs and toast pleased. Sunny side up.” She said. I don’t know why I suddenly had to urge to greet her.

“G-goodmorning, Cloudchaser.” I squeaked a bit. Cloudchaser yawned and ruffled her mane.

“Morning, Fie.” She said. The bartender was quick with her order. Flitter ordered a daffodil sandwich. Galavance darted her look between us as we enjoyed our breakfast. She then groaned in frustration and slammed her claws down on the table.

“I can’t sit idly by! We need to go now!” She snapped. Scribble softly pat the head of the griffon with his journal as he walked by, causing her to blink and rub her head.

“Careful, Galavance. Your griffon pride is showing.” He said. He then looked to us. “Ladies. I think I have an idea on how we can traverse the canyon without being attacked by the foliage.” Thi stretched and turned around on the stool, kicking back.

“Knew you could figure it out, egghead.” She smirked. Scribble flipped through his journal before stopping on a page.

“There’s a way I can use the rock runes to make an even more potent form of the magic. But requires the help of a unicorn.” He looked between me and Thi. “It requires you to know the same spell as etched in the rock. Since two of our delightful friends are unable to properly wield arcane, we’ll have to use another method.” He looked to me and I blinked.

“Uhhh… what are you getting at?” I asked, narrowing my eyes suspiciously at him. Scribble pointed to his back.

“We use a small speck of Din’s power to enhance the spell and it’ll keep the foliage at bay. A fire shield in a sense.” I sighed.

“That sounds like a good plan. If only Din cared enough to do anything aside from torment and intimidate me and everypony else.” I said with a bow of my head. Scribble nodded.

“Which is why you need to explain the situation to her. She appears to be more than willing to cause whatever mayhem against her sister. If we can use that to our advantage, we’ll be able to stop Gaia and Sharp Eye.” He explained. I sighed and looked at him with worry. He then gave me a surprising reassuring smile. “Don’t worry, Quiet Fire. We won’t let Din get in the way. She doesn’t have to do much of anything either. Just the way she likes it.” I looked to the others. Aside from Galavance who was looking confused and still frustrated, the rest were giving me confident and reassuring smiles. I took a deep breath and blinked.

I found myself looking at the back of Din again. She seemed relaxed. Though, her expression remains stoic and angry mixed. She cast a sideway glance to me.

The stallion is brave to suggest an idea. And loath I am to give you mortals any proper credit, he speaks wisely. I will do so under the condition that I burn the heart of Gaia. With her heart destroyed, she’ll know her place. She then grinned evilly at me. Don’t die, vessel. I have so many ideas of what I want to do with this realm. I blinked again and found myself back in the saloon with everypony looking at me. I rubbed the back of my neck.

“She uhh… heard your proposition, Scribble. But she states under one condition. We reach the heart of Gaia and allow her to burn it. I… am not sure how that’ll turn out. But Din says it’ll quiet Gaia down. In a sense.” I explained. Scribble nodded and everypony let out a relieved sigh. I don’t blame them. Scribble then took out three smooth stone rocks. Their runes glowing amber. I then felt a surge of energy and my body moving against my own will. My horn aimed at the runes and a magical wave of fire swooshed over the runes. Their glow now glowing brightly. Scribble pocketed the stones and pat my shoulder. I felt the energy leave me and I sighed again.

“I hope you know what you are doing, Silver.” I said. Thi then got up and nudged a shaking Galavance. She looked up and blinked quizzically.

“C’mon, Deputy. Time to protect and serve.” She said with a wink. Galavance beamed and got up, hurrying out the saloon without giving us any time to react. Cloudchaser shrugged.

“Times a wasting I guess.” She said.


As we left Appleloosa, we were greeted by Sheriff Silverstar. He eyed us carefully.

“Words been goin’ around that ya’ll know what’s causin’ the troubles.” He said. Galavance nodded.

“Yes, sheriff! We are on our way to the Red Canyon to put an end to this phenomena.” She explained. Sheriff Silverstar brushed his mustache and wiggled it in thought.

“Well, ‘ah can’t stop ya’ll even iffin’ ‘ah wanted too. More folk have been disappearin’ an’ Lil’ Braveheart took off in tha’ middle of tha’ night. Had a vision where her father an’ the rest of tha’ tribes were gatherin’ in the middle of canyon. ‘Ahm guessin’ that’s where tha’ war is takin’ place.” He spat on the ground. “Not sure how a dream can cause somepony to rush off in tha’ middle of tha’ night. When you folks are out there. Please, make sure everycreature is home safe.” We all looked at each other before Thi sighed.

“That’s a tall order, but we’ll humor you. We’ll do our best to manage. Right, Gal?” She looked to the griffon. Galavance balked.

“Huh?” She asked. I smiled.

“You helped us with the investigation. You have a better idea of what’s going on. Sheriff Silverstar has his hooves full. It’s time you finally be the deputy you were brought on to be. Serving and protecting the fine folk of Appleloosa.” Galavance looked between us before turning to Silverstar. He smiled under his mustache and pat the griffon’s shoulder.

“‘Ah’ve raised a fine deputy. Now git. ‘Ah gotta’ calm tha’ mob.” He said. We looked over our shoulder and saw a protest crowd beginning to form once again in front of town hall. Galavance put on a determined look and nodded, tipping her hat.

“I won’t let you down, pardner.” She said. Silverstar tipped his own hat and cantered past us. Galavance darted her eyes in thought before tapping her badge nervously before putting on a determined face and clutching the bag. I smiled as I motioned for everypony to follow and we took off galloping down the dirt path. It took us thirty minutes of galloping to reach the canyon entrance. I came to a screeching halt, nearly having Thi and Scribble run into me. I noticed that bridge from last night was now cut. I furrowed my brows and looked over the ravine.

“That’s odd.” Galavance said as she examined the cut rope. Flitter then furrowed her look and pointed to the other post. An arrow was wedged into the post. There was a note hanging from it. She pulled the note off and read it.

“Turn back now. Mother Earth lies beyond. All are no longer welcome. Trespassers will join the earth.” She looked to us quizzically. Cloudchaser frowned.

“I’ll bring the bridge up. Galavance, care to help?” She asked. Galavance nodded and the two flew down the ravine. We watched as they took the ends of the bridge and brought it back up. Suddenly, a long, wooden tendril shot out, causing Cloudchaser to yelp and loose her grip on the bridge. I balked and was about to turn to Scribble for help, when my body moved on it’s own and I felt a surge of energy. My horn concentrated a ball at the tip and when I took aim, a fire beam shot out and sliced the tendrils.

The beam traced the cliff side, slicing any that were beginning to poke out.

Don’t try to stop me, sister. You’ll rue this very day when I reach your heart!

Din cackled maniacally. I heard a distant cry of pain in the back of my mind. I rubbed my temples once Din finished gleefully causing Gaia pain, allowing Cloudchaser and Galavance to tie the bridge to the posts. I then felt Galavance pick me up and flew over the bridge while everypony else followed. Making it to the other end, we saw the entrance way beginning to close with brambles and brush. Scribble shot forward, tossing up one of the rocks and then crushing a smaller one in his hooves. He hurled the fire at the brambles, causing them to catch on fire and fall apart. We saw the tendrils come back out, ready to put the fire out, when the smooth stone fell back down in between the opening and it shattered. A bright flash of magic popped and a fiery spectral bubble prevented anymore foliage from growing.

I heard another distant cry of pain in my mind. We hurried on through the entrance and I gasped at the sight. The whole canyon was full of green and lush foliage and trees. Thi frowned as she carefully watched her step.

“Eyes open, everypony. It’s a canyon. Don’t let the foliage fool you into thinking it’s solid ground.” She said. Taking her advice, we began our descent into the canyon. It was hard to find any form of direction in this place. Scribble had the brilliant idea to rig his ethereal reading crystal to harmonize with the proper alignment of the canyon… whatever that meant. But he took the lead and we followed. Luckily, no accidents aside from the sudden appearances of the rock birds and sludge monsters. We made quick work of them as we rounded a corner. A pathway leading down and circled.

Following the path and repeating our usual encounters with Gaia’s underlings, we began to see a clearing after crossing a root bridge. Cloudchaser furrowed her brows.

“Uhh… guys… I don’t want to alarm, but…” she flew over to a tree and brushed the bark. Her look grim. We walked over to her and I gasped, my eyes widening in terror. There were many lumps in the trees that dotted our current path. Upon closer inspection, the lumps weren’t just natural birthmarks. Flitter gave a terrified gasp.

“Is that… Luck String?” She asked horrified. There was no doubt about it. The agonizing imprint of Luck String’s face jutted out the side of the bark. Along with several other ponies. Immediate dread washed over us. Galavance looked around, her breath getting heavier.

“N-no… it can’t be…” she shuddered. Scribble grimly brushed what appeared to be a massive wooden rock.

“It’s not just the ponies…” he said. I looked and felt my dread increase. The wooden rock like branch was a buffalo. We continued walking the path, seeing more and more petrified unfortunate ponies and buffalo imprinted into sides of trees and whatever. Thi growled.

“Guess the war never happened. Or it was about to.” She said. Galavance looked at us.

“We have to help them! We have to find a way to get them out of there!” She said as she hurriedly brushed a tree to find anything that could help. I was about to interject when a voice called out to us.

“There isn’t any point to do so. Gaia made it clear. Once they’ve joined her garden, they will forever bloom.” We looked around. It was hard to gauge where the source of the voice was coming from. The wooden jungle was thick and heavy with cover. Flitter flew up a bit and motioned around us.

“Sharp Eye! You have to stop this! This isn’t the way to help anypony!” She called out exasperatedly. We heard the shuffle of branches all around us.

“You can’t talk me out of it, Flitter. Such a shame. You have so much potential. You could have been my student.” Sharp Eye’s voice replied. Cloudchaser darted her eyes, scanning the area.

“As if I’d let my sister join you. She looked up to you! And you’re just going to throw away all your hard work over what?! Because some companies wanted to have more apples?!” She exclaimed. There was a loud screech of anger that had no particular direction around us. I darted my eyes, trying to see if I could find any sign of the griffon. But everything was moving and shifting wildly.

“It’s not just the greedy companies that are destroying this land! Those stuck up snobs deserve this punishment! They think they can just walk all over everypony and run them to the ground with demand. And for what? To fill their purses with more money? The ponies of Appleloosa cannot keep up with demand. So I decided to help them.” There was more branch rattling. “But making a bountiful harvest wasn’t enough. I needed to teach them a real lesson. Gaia told me that an ancient spirit that lives in the canyon would be the perfect wake up call to New Appleloosa! When they hear about creatures of every kind falling to an ancient curse, they'll have to back away from cultivating this land! It's being dried up!” I grit my teeth.

“You’re going about it the wrong way, though! Gaia is a force of nature! She doesn’t care about the well beings of mortals!” I stated. I then stepped back as a heavy figure landed in front of me. I balked as the figure stood up. I’ve never seen a tall griffon before. Sharp Eye towered over us and Galavance. Her rocky mountain feathers ruffled. She had scars along her claws and a western hat on her head. She glared at me from under the hat. Suddenly, upon locking eyes with the griffon, I found myself surrounded by tall and heavy trees.

They towered high above, blocking out any light from entering. I saw Sharp Eye looking around just as confused as I was. We then had to shield ourselves as a giant mountain came crashing down next to us. An explosion of dirt and roots flung around us. Suddenly, Sharp Eye and I found ourselves rising high into the air. I covered my face as I was being scratched and whipped by the branches of the trees. We then broke through the trees and found ourselves rising up in front of a giant mountain. We then came face to face with a familiar face of an alicorn. However, her features were carved out of the mountain and her eyes glowed bright green.

I’ve finally found you, Din! a deep and soothing tone that felt unnaturally angry rang through my head. I looked to my side and saw Din standing in between Sharp Eye and me. She gave a smug grin and coolly waved.

If it isn’t my elderly sister! How fancy seeing you here. Flitting about and pretending to be a child again. I must say, your work on the garden is always impressive. She kept her smug face as we flinched from Gaia leaning forward, her eye slit and glowing a calm hue of green.

Do not toy with me, sister! I have long awaited our confrontation! And this time. I. Will. Not. Lose!! She roared and I balked as we saw a mountainous hoof rear back, dirt and roots falling from her. Din looked bored and sighed.

Then perhaps we should play a little game. She grinned evilly and I found myself and Din teleporting away from the flying hoof mountain. She cackled and then pushed me forward. I was horrified. I looked between Sharp Eye, who seemed just as unsure of this when Gaia brought back her hoof and slammed it in the ground in a fit of anger. Let’s see who has the better vessel. If you win, you get to keep your pathetic garden. But if I win… I get to destroy your heart and burn your garden. Sounds fair?

Gaia roared again and her eyes fell onto Sharp Eye.

Vessel! These two plan to ruin everything you have worked for! They are agents for those greedy companies! You strike them down and I promise you, your dream will be fulfilled! She glowered. Sharp Eye looked unsure again. When her eyes locked onto mine again, her look changed to a determined and challenging look. With another blink, we were back in the canyon center. Immediately, Sharp Eye swiped a claw at me and in reaction just barely, I weaved and side hopped away. My back touched a tree and the moment I did, I tilted my head as an arrow zipped by and embedded into the tree.

Sharp Eye kicked off the ground and landed ontop of branch, covering herself with a bandanna.

“Gwyen, please! We don’t want to fight you!” Flitter called out. The griffon glared at me, knocking an arrow.

“You stand in the way of my dream. You and your agent lackies will never leave this garden alive.” She hissed. She then cupped her masked beak and screeched. My friends were suddenly surrounded by tendrils and more rock monsters that spawned in from the ground. Thi withdrew her bat and swung, a loud clack as rocks sailed over the next monsters that took their place. Cloudchaser kicked and flapped as she used her quick movements to dodge and counterattack. Flitter was back to back with Scribble as the two shot projectiles at the flying creatures. Galavance scurried over and away from the sludge creatures, pure terror on her face.

She met my look and I saw her rush over to me, deftly avoiding some tendrils that swiped at her before using her claws to swipe at tendrils I didn’t see that were ready to entangle me. She pulled me away and yelped, ducking as three arrows zipped overhead. I looked back and felt a certain sadness upon seeing my desperado hat pierced by an arrow and stuck in a tree. Galavance then scooped me up as Sharp Eye screeched and kicked off from the tree, knocking more arrows.

I shielded my face as Galavance flew through the trees and foliage, waving this way and that, avoiding Sharp Eye trailing us close behind with arrows. I could hear the panicked breathing from Galavance and I gave a worried look.

“Gal, stay calm!” I told her. She shook her head.

“I… I can’t… I can’t do this!” She shouted. She screeched as an arrow sliced through her left wing. We went tumbling out of the air and thankfully, rolled through an opening with solid ground. I shook away my daze when we came to a stop and I looked over to Galavance. She was whimpering and nursing her wing in pain. I rushed over to her, only to stop as two arrows planted right between me and her. I looked over with grit teeth as Sharp Eye landed and took aim. She released her arrow and without taking my eyes off of her, I twisted my body to the side, deftly avoiding it before returning back to a neutral stance.

I brought my quarter staff out and spun it. Sharp Eye quickly and skillfully pulled out one arrow after another, releasing them in tangent as we circled. I twirled the staff, batting each arrow she launched before rushing her. She held her arrow, aiming at me as I quickly tried to circle her. I then ducked low right as she released her arrow and I sprang up, rearing back my staff over my head and bringing it back down with a force I didn’t think I had. The floor cracked where Sharp Eye was moments ago as the griffon had hopped to the side to avoid it.

I didn’t hesitate to rush her as I brought my staff around in a horizontal swing. To my surprise, she blocked the blow with her bow. She growled and glared at me as I tried to knock it out of her with force, but my strength wasn’t enough. Sharp Eye shoved the staff aside, but I went with the momentum and brought it around my waist before smacking her across the head with the other end of the staff. She stumbled with the force, but maintained her footing as she shot an angry glare at me. She then blocked my follow up, grabbing my staff and pulling me forward. I felt the wind leave me as she buried a balled up claw into my stomach. Her other claw came back around and grabbed me around the head.

I dropped my staff as I struggled to beat and kick free from the grab. But Sharp Eye then reared back and planted me right into the ground, the floor cracking upon impact. I felt intense pain shoot through me, but no screams came out. Somehow, I wasn’t dead from it. But I did see Sharp Eye rear back a balled up claw and I saw rocks began to swirl around her. This is going to hurt. But as if out of nowhere, my body moved quickly, as if I had been pulled along. I rolled away and felt my horn aim at Sharp Eye. I heard a maniacal laugh and a rapid fire of fire bolts shot out. Sharp Eye got hit with every single one, grunting and getting knocked into the wall, a massive indent of where she landed formed.

She hit the ground and groaned as she stood up, shaking her head.

“Wait! Stop fighting! Please! We have to-“ I heard Galavance’s voice. But Sharp Eye screeched and threw her claws into the ground, causing the ground to crack and split towards me. I found it hard to get a proper footing as all of sudden, I found myself hugging the ground as the entire area was forced up. The ceiling above us began to break open as we flew higher and higher.

Finally, the grey skies above us broke through and were swirling around us. Lightning crashed around us and a fierce wind bellowed through. I don’t think any of us expected our new battle ground to have a massive Thunder Bird above us. It’s screech crackled and rang through the area as it’s massive eyes sparked and glowed, focusing us. Galavance flew up to us.

“I was trying to tell you two! We are at it’s nest!” She stated in a panic. We looked over and to our shock, we saw three cottage size eggs. They shined and sparked with lightning. Galavance turned towards Sharp Eye. “Gaia knew about the eggs! She wanted to keep the Thunder Bird as her pawn, using the eggs as blackmail!” Sharp Eye darted her eyes in thought. Suddenly, her eyes glowed green and a calming green color of spectral gale winds and rocks swirled around her.

”ENOUGH!!” A bellowing roar cried out. The earth shook from the sheer intensity of it. The Thunder Bird screeched and reared back, lightning shooting out from its’ feathers and striking the spectral image of Gaia that was steadily growing. I froze up. I could only imagine what Din was really capable of. These beings. These Elements of Power. Nothing compares to them, not even the greatest might that is a natural state of our realm. Gaia flicked her head, catching several bolts of lightning on her horn and then flicked back and aimed at the bird. It reeled back as lightning struck it. Galavance dug her claw in while I had to stab my quarterstaff into the ground to hold on. Both titan’s forces were incredible.

“THIS IS MY DOMAIN!!! I WILL NOT HAVE WORMS LIKE YOU RUIN MY PRECIOUS GARDEN!!!” Gaia roared with such intense anger, I felt another wave of energy flow through me. My quarterstaff turning into the spectral, flaming halberd. From the halberd formed an image the steadily grew. The spectral figure of Din walked forward. Gaia looked to her sister as the Thunder Bird screeched and perch onto a cliff side near by, but still looking as close as ever. Lightning still crashed around us. I then noticed that there was smoke beginning to rise. I looked around and saw fire beginning to rise up throughout the jungle canyon. Din grinned.

“What’s the matter, sister? Can’t handle the might of your domain? Or perhaps you are throwing a hissy fit because a dumb bird doesn’t want to be your pawn.” She wiggled a spectral hoof at her. Gaia glared and walked forward. She towered just a bit above Din, but Din arched a cocky brow at her.

“Time and time again, you test my patience! Why must I share this pathetic universe with the likes of you!?” Gaia growled. Din swished her wing coolly to brush off the tone, giving a bored one back.

“Really, now. I test your patience? It’ll do wonders to have some, sister. You’ve played your hoof too early and now you are suffering for your ‘quick thinking’. Ouroboros must be rolling on the world right now. Congrats on being the biggest joke to mother nature.” Din said. Oh no, this isn’t good. Gaia’s eyes flared angrily.

“My nature is beautiful! I balance life from death! You leave nothing behind! You say you want to rule a domain of fire, have loyal subjects to ‘sing’ for you however you please!? Mortals do not grow on trees, Din! You maybe the ‘patient’ one!! But that is why you fail over and over again!! You’ve chosen poorly too many times! Your vessel is no different!” She hissed. Din pat her chest smugly.

“I will never reveal my decisions so easily. I have a feeling I’ve… hit the jackpot, as these mortal say.” She grinned maniacally. Gaia glared and looked over her shoulder.

“Vessel! She continues to interfere with your dreams! Kill her vessel!” She commanded. I saw Sharp Eye struggling, clutching her head.

“Nnggghh!! N-no… no, I will not, Gaia… Arghhh!” She rasped in pain. I looked over to Galavance, who was trying her best to hold on for life. I looked to the Thunder Bird. It was eyeing us in agitation. It was calling out to the eggs. Gaia walked over to Sharp Eye and lowered herself.

“I will not be disobeyed, vessel! Are you not contempt with the number of ponies you have saved? The good you have done to keep up food for the hungry and, how you say, stick it to those sorry bastards? Are they not sorry enough? They sent an agent to stop you! To stop us! It’s only luck they sent somepony who my sister has taken host too! Kill two birds with one stone!” I finally snapped.

“Don’t listen to her, Sharp Eye! I know what you are going through right now! I know what it is like! I’m trying to maintain as best as I can too! But you can’t listen to the sweet lies she spouts! You may have had an opportunity thrown on you, but our elements are not interested in our wellbeing!” I shouted out to her. Sharp Eye grunted and looked to me, trying her best to stay in control. We heard the loud sound of wings flapping and the Thunder Bird began flying around our mountain.

Lightning striking around us again. Gaia glared and reared up.

“BEGONE, PEST! THIS IS NO LONGER YOUR DOMAIN!! TREMBLE BEFORE THE MIGHT THAT IS GAIA!!” She roared and slammed her hooves into the ground. The earth shook once more and I found myself falling onto my belly. The impact must have blown Din back as well as her spectral image vanished. I even heard a shift in my mind.

Impatient fool.

Gaia looked back and I saw an eerie and gentle smile creep on her face. I then saw Sharp Eye’s claws move. The rocks beginning to form into a bow and a spectral arrow formed. I could see Sharp Eye struggling to keep the bow off of me. I called for my weapon and it popped into my hooves. I readied myself. I then stood up and tapped the bottom of the halberd against the ground.

"Sharp Eye. You have be calm. A certain pony once told me that some days will be dull and grey, because reality often hits hard than anything. I had been taken control of without my consent as well. I could have hurt my friends. You and I have a big responsibility that was put upon us, whether we liked it or not. But that shouldn't dictate how your morals play! Because in the end of it all, you are still you. We are still ourselves! You save ponies! You help them! That will never change." I then shifted the halberd to my side, getting into my zebra stance. "Your actions today are not your own. Gaia only told you what you wanted to hear. She made sweet words and will certainly not fill any of them. Din doesn't care whether we know so or not. What matters to them is finishing the game and coming out on top." I stated. Gaia snorted.

"My sister has a mouth the size of her ego. Do not listen to her, vessel. You saw yourself what I have done. I helped you bring life back to the town. I helped you come to terms with your own dark emotions. You would have been able to take down your rulers and bring peace to this land! The filth in New Appleloosa would be too much taint for my garden, so our commitments aligned." she explained. Sharp Eye grunted as she kept struggling with the bow, the lightning crashing down around us again.

"This... was never about... for the good of ponies... was it?" she rasped. "Maybe... she is right... I'm a fool for trusting you... you do not decide... where my... argh... where my value lies... ngh!... I will not... let you... control me...!" Sharp Eye then forced her aim and released an arrow. Galavance balked and quickly swooped up from the ground as she did so. I watched in horror as Galavance took the arrow straight into the chest. her body crumpling and sliding a bit away from us. She laid motionless. Sharp Eye stared horrified by the sudden action. "Why... why did..." I could see the tears beginning to form. The loud screech of the Thunder Bird overhead made me realize. She protected the eggs. Gaia's arrow would have done incredible damage to the eggs. I wavered, feeling my dread beginning to rise. Sharp Eye dropped her bow and clutched her head. "Rggggh! Get... out of my... head!! I... I..." she fell to the ground, curling into a ball. "I can't... do this..." she whimpered. My eyes widened. I then stood between the eggs and Gaia, who was smiling calmly.

"Yes you can, Sharp Eye! I've heard somegriffon say the same thing! But look what she did!" I felt tears beginning to form. How could this happen so suddenly? I gathered myself before continuing. "She felt panicked! Like she was completely hopeless! Anycreature would against the forces of nature! But that didn't stop her! She reacted with no hesitation to save the eggs! She was scared, but she saved somecreature! She even saved me before! In the brief moments I've met Galvanace, she had a strong desire to save ponies, just like you!" The images of her happy and enthusiastic nature as she introduced herself. The talk we had before the sighting of the Thunder Bird. "She was my friend... and I..." I looked to her still body. "I was a coward again..." I slammed the halberd hard into the ground, causing a large crack to form. Lightning crashing down around us as the bird circled us. "I should have done something more than just sit there like an idiot... I could have saved her! But what can I do when somepony, whose heart is full of love for her people who aren't even griffons, beats me to my own actions." I pat my chest. "I'm supposed to represent courage, but I can't even jump in to save an egg!" I felt my frustration rise. "I still have a lot to learn about controlling my element. About saving ponies! Saving anycreature! You and Galavance... both of you have never faltered in your convictions to help those in need!" I watched as Sharp Eye look up from her position, her beak open in awe.

"B-but... how can I face the ponies I've hurt? All the buffalo? How can I ever be forgiven for setting up New Appleloosa to fall with so many things against everypony?" she asked. I smiled, wiping my eyes before reaching out a hoof.

"By being the best you. I forgive you for everything you have done. You weren't yourself. It was all Gaia's doing. And after today with our display, I have a feeling most ponies will believe it." I then looked to Gaia, who was looking at me with interest. She then swished her dust gale mane and stood up.

"Touching. But if you plan to encourage me to reform my ways, you're sadly mistaken. I will not be swayed by amateur choice of words." she said. She then looked back to Sharp Eye and suddenly dissipated. Sharp Eye screeched in pain as power began to overflow. The earth shook and the lightning crashed. The wildfire beginning to rise around us. It felt like the whole world of Equestria was ending right now. So much destruction. So much power being thrown about. We are so totally screwed. Just then, I saw in the corner of my eye my friends galloping over to the area. It seemed that Scribble had used his magic rocks to make it up here. They looked on in shock and horror.

"What the hell is going on!?" Thi grit her teeth as she looked to me and Sharp Eye. I threw out a hoof.

"Stay back! She's being taken over by Gaia!" I shouted. This is bad. Really bad. But I have to do something. I have to... I have to save Sharp Eye. I'm supposed to know what she is going through. But how can I if I can't even begin to know where to look? I then realized something. The heart. Din hummed and I could swear I almost heard an evil smile. I readied myself as Sharp Eye was crackling with energy. The rocks began to swirl around her like a barrier. She screeched loudly before kicking off the ground. She was quick. I felt myself being tackled as my friends were rushing over to me. We went sailing into the air. I grit my teeth and wiggled out of her hold, bringing my hoof back and socking her across the head. I don't know what force I was using, but it sent her sailing back into the cliff side. I found myself tumbling and falling. Crap! What can I do now!? I heard an annoyed groan.

Must I do everything for you!?

I then felt myself floating. I opened up my eyes as I was already bracing to hit the ground. I blinked in confusion. I looked over my back and gasped as I saw I had wings. But, unlike an actual alicorns, these were spectral. They were wrapped in fire. Every flap emitted small amber sparks.

Eyes open, fool! I heard Din hiss. I then yelped as I felt myself being pulled along as a tracer beam whipped right by where I was only seconds ago. I looked ahead and saw the crater where I had punched Sharp Eye to and a bright green flash. I was pulled along again, twirling as another green tracer beam whistled past me. I did my best to keep myself relatively stable, but it appeared Din's control was a little more on the fly in thinking than I was. After some time dodging tracer beams, I heard a frustrated groan.

You're making me look like a fool in front of Gaia! Just look where you want to go and just go there! she barked. I shook away my motion sickness before looking at the crater. I saw another green flash. I took a deep breath and kicked forward with my hindlegs. I felt myself sailing towards the crater. I twisted my body, bouncing up over another tracer beam and saw Sharp Eye's eye widen in shock. I felt my head swish and aimed, multiple fire bolts shot out and rapid succession. Sharp Eye kicked away from the bolts and sailed around me. I saw her own wings were being surrounded by spectral green wings. Oh great. Both of us are not in control of ourselves. My dread increased, but I then sensed a killing intent. I threw out my hoof, my halberd slashing as it split the tracer beam in half. The projectiles sailed behind me before vanishing. I kicked forward and quickly gained plenty of distance to Sharp Eye.

Sharp Eye swung the rock bow around and clashed with my halberd. I felt myself pushing against Sharp Eye herself. I noticed that her eyes weren't her own. Is this also how I looked like being under Din's control? Something else I noticed. I was seeing a spectral griffon floating behind Sharp Eye. It was distorted, as if there was a lot of interference blocking it from forming properly. I grit my teeth and roared as I pushed back, causing Sharp Eye to drop her guard. Taking a page out of Din's own fight against Tenebres, I brought both hindlegs up in front of me and bucked Sharp Eye directly in the chest. She sailed like a bullet into the next cliff mountain over, an explosive crash of her impact. I then saw a burst of green, calm light shoot out from the hole Sharp Eye was bucked into. I heard Din gleefully cackle.

Found youuuuuu~ I shivered at the eerily chipper sound of her voice before feeling myself kick in the air and soar towards the hole. I saw a ball of fire concentrate at the tip of my horn and I braced myself as the cliff side got closer and closer. Din's magic blasted through the hole, making it big enough for us to fly through. Coming out the other end of the hole, I gapped as I began floating down to the ground. The cave was sparkling with gems. A cavern. Spacious and open. In the center of the cavern was a giant glowing calm green crystal that radiated around the cavern. At the foot of it was Sharp Eye, on her side and struggling to stand up. Din formed in front of us and she looked down at Sharp Eye with pure disgust.

"Like I said. Patience is everything. And look at you, groveling at my hooves." she grinned evilly and stepped on Sharp Eye's head. Sharp Eye grunted in pain as she was forced back down. I balked as I saw that Sharp Eye was in control now. Her eyes normal. Din clicked her tongue and looked up at the crystal. "Abandoning your vessel to cower in your heart, Gaia? A coward to the end." Din then reared her head back and aimed as her horn fired out a thin beam of fire. There was a loud scream as the cavern shook. I had to side step a couple of falling rocks before looking over at Din.

"Din, stop! We need Gaia alive!" I stated. Din shot a glare at me.

"I know what I am doing, vessel! Do not tell me what to do!" She hissed at me. The beam grew thinner and thinner before piercing through the other end. The crystal released a burst of magical aura around us, causing me to shield myself with the sleeve of my hoodie. The aura gathered between me and Din. Din turned around and hummed with a pleased look. Gaia formed and was panting on the ground. "Better. I have to say it has been real fun getting reacquainted with you, sister. But It's high time you open up your eyes and see that the much bigger threat isn't deforestation." she cackled and gave a coy smile. "Well, I say that. Buuuut, as we speak, everything you built is now burning and withering away." Sharp Eye struggled to stand up.

"N-No! The petrified ponies… The ponies at... nggh! They won’t make it back!" She rasped. Din rolled her eyes.

"Let me make it clear to you mortals. Our 'magic' as you call it is beyond any of your comprehensions. But, I'm feeling generous right now as I got to best my sister in pure strength, patience and invigorating torment. When an Element of Power is bested directly, all traces of her power vanish as a means to reset the injuries rightfully beaten into them." Din said as she walked over to Gaia. She then stepped hard on Gaia's head and twisted her hoof as Gaia grunted in pain. "Know your place, grub. I've won this time. And I will continue to do so until every one of you is nothing but bowing before me! The rightful ruler of this realm!" Din tossed her head back and laughed maniacally before she began to be absorbed back into my body. I grunted as I felt a hot, burning sensation flow through me, like hot magma washing over me.

Be thankful it was me this time, Gaia! I won't be as merciful as our dear older sister. I fell to my stomach, panting and grunting in pain as everything in my body was screaming. Sharp Eye rasped, looking over to me and began to crawl towards me. The spectral form of Gaia then dissipated before us and flowed back into Sharp Eye, who stopped and screamed in pain as I can only assume something worse than what I was feeling was flowing through her. I somehow managed to roll myself onto my back and panted, Sharp Eye managing the same. I don't know how long we were down here, but feeling my second wind, I painfully stood up and saw Sharp Eye clutching her chest. I fell back on my haunches and growled.

"Dammit... How are we able to control our elements at this rate!?" I said with pure anger and frustration, slamming the ground with my hoof. Sharp Eye coughed and managed to push herself up, sitting down as well. It took longer for her to manage anything, but when she did, she finally spoke.

"I'm... sorry..." she rasped. I saw her claws ball up and her body shake. "I was an idiot... I let myself fall to her sweet words... I... I... Those innocent ponies... The buffalo... I..." she then started to tear up. I felt a wave of guilt course through me and sighed.

"Somepony once told me it's okay to cry. We all deal with our frustrations and sadness in some way." I said, rubbing the back of my head. I then smiled at her. "It... worked for me." Sharp Eye sniffled and rasped. She put a foreclaw leg across her face and began to stutter her breaths. I remained quiet as I let the griffon cry to her hearts content. As she did so, I couldn't help but feel my anger increase more and more. There has to be a better way to do all of this! Dammit! Dammit all!! How can we befriend such heartless monsters!? What am I... what are we supposed to do?? I can only imagine what the other five are dealing with. Speaking of five, I found myself standing up. "My friends!" I stated in realization. I turned to Sharp Eye and was about to say something, but thought better of it. I sighed and looked up to where the hole was. How am I going to get back to my friends? We were in the next cliff side over, and there is no way to quickly get there without flying. And considering what happened, all is quiet in the noggin'. I walked over to the wall and saw grooves that I could probably use to climb.

I grunted as I felt my body tingle from all the fighting as I began to painfully climb my way up. I got a bit high before my hoof slipped and I slid down the wall. I panted and grit my teeth, going up again. Same height. Failed. Another go. Got a bit further. Failed again. Over and over, different heights and methods all failed as I kept sliding back down. The last one I found myself tipping and landed on my back, the wind almost getting knocked out of me. I then saw Sharp Eye stand over me. She studied me, her eyes now seeming to be calm and curious. She then smiled and held out a claw. I weakly smiled back before I took it and she helped me up. She then slung me over her back and with a couple of flaps from her wings, she took off and we soared back out the hole. When we came out the other end, we gasped as we saw the canyon up in flames. The trees withering and crumbling along with the foliage crumpling like paper. There was no smoke from this fire. I looked over and saw the giant Thunder Bird perched on a cracked mountain. I pointed to the creature and Sharp Eye changed directions.

The Thunder Bird saw us, the creature watching us as we descended. I saw my friends, gathered around Galavance. They saw us approach and all got ready for the attack. But when they saw me slide off the griffon when she landed, I limped a couple of hoof steps before waving weakly at them. Cloudchaser rushed over to me.

"Fie! What happened to Gaia?" she said. She then looked to Sharp Eye and her eyes narrowed suspiciously. I put a gentle hoof on her cheek, something I would normally flush and not even do. She looked back to me.

"It's okay... I think... we won... in someway." I panted and rasped as I spoke. I then looked over and saw Scribble making Galavance drink a certain red liquid. But the griffon lay still. I limped over to them and looked to Scribble. "Is she...?" I asked. Scribble looked tired. Exhasuted even. But he looked up at me and shook his head.

"I've never seen an injury like this. She has no pulse, but she is breathing. It's like she's stuck inbetween death and life. I'm not sure how to treat this, let alone properly diagnose this." he said solemnly. I bowed my head.

"She protected the eggs. Sharp Eye wasn't in control of her actions. But..." I thought about it a bit more before deciding something else. "Oh, Galavance... I'm so sorry... for being a coward..." I said, feeling my eyes well up. There was a loud chirp above us. We looked up to see the Thunder Bird lower its' head towards us. It brushed Galavance with the very edge of its' beak. We stepped away, unsure of the birds intentions. That was, until it turned its' head and... teared up? We watched in awe as a tear from the Thunder Bird trailed down its' beak and dripped into Galavance's open beak. Suddenly, her body began to rise as if an invisible force was picking her up. Her body began to crackle and spark like lightning being charged up. She then opened her eyes and gasped before curling up and then shone brightly. We shielded our eyes as the bright light flashed around us. The moment it appeared, it also vanished. We looked and I gasped as we saw Galavance landing gently on her legs. She groaned and rubbed her head. When her eyes opened, she looked around, dazed at first. But then, she saw us looking dumbfounded.

"H-how long was I asleep?" she asked unsuredly. I shook my head.

"Gal... your feathers..." I began. Flitter finished for me.

"They are shimmering with lightning!" she said in awe. Galavance blinked and examined herself. Her feathers had changed pigments to a shimmering gold with blue hightlight tones. She was just as dumbfounded before it changed into an excited jump for joy.

"This... is so... awesome!!" she screeched. I was impressed. The griffon had a lot of energy despite looking like she was on the brink of death. I felt relieved. I glanced at Sharp Eye, who seemed just as relieved before bowing her head. The Thunder Bird chirped and Galavance blinked, looking up at the massive creature. "Did you just... talk?" she asked in shock. The Thunder Bird cooed. Galavance scratched her head with a claw. "Oh... uh... you're welcome." This day just kept getting stranger and stranger. And that's after the whole Din and Gaia fight. She then turned to us and smiled. "I think she's waiting for an apology." Sharp Eye looked surprised. Galavance grinned and motioned to the Thunder Bird.

"What? After all I did? That Gaia did? You'll... forgive me?" she asked. Galavance shrugged.

"I'm just the messenger. Right, Rita?" she smiled up at the Thunder Bird. The creature chirped in agreement. I couldn't believe it. It even has a name? I fell to my haunches and rubbed my temples. Sharp Eye took a hesitant couple of steps forward, standing before the massive creature. She then bowed her head, thinking about her words before looking up and putting a claw on her chest.

"I... I can't even express how sorry I am for everything... I... I wasn't myself. I listened to the words of a being who never thought about anypony else aside from herself. I know I can't undo the things I've done, but... can you ever forgive a stupid, idiotic griffon like myself? I..." Sharp Eye wanted to say more, but it seems her words failed her. She faltered and shrunk back. "I'll just leave. I've caused enough trouble for everypony involved. I shouldn't have declared war on New Appleloosa..." The Thunder Bird, Rita, chirped and cooed. Galavance walked over to Sharp Eye and pat the griffon's back.

"Rita forgives you. She knew that there were forces beyond even her comprehension at work. All she cared about was protecting her eggs. It didn't help that Gaia confronted Rita and threatened to break open her eggs if she didn't do as she was told." Galavance then looked out to the cliff side, seeing Din's fire spread out and reach the end of where Gaia has touched in the canyon. She then turned around to us and smiled. "Well... we should probably get back to town." I nodded and looked to my friends.

"With all the display of power, the ponies of Appleloosa to New Appleloosa would have noticed the catastrophic events in the canyon." I said. Galavance sighed, but then balled up her fist and nodded.

"Then... we all face it together." she said. Rita chirped, taking one hop over to the other side of the cliff side and then sat on her eggs, getting comfortable before settling. I looked to Sharp Eye and put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder. She looked at me with worry.

"Like Gal said. We face it together. You weren't yourself. It was beyond your control." I said. Sharp Eye gave me a doubtful look, but she nodded. Galavance turned to Rita and smiled.

"I'm glad you were able to reunite with your eggs, Rita. And thank you... for giving me a second chance." she said. We gathered ourselves together before making our way back to the canyon exit. There was one pony I noticed on the way back that was hanging behind a little. I looked over my shoulder to see Thi, watching us with a strange look. When her eyes met mine, she gave a small smile. I slowed my pace to match her's, walking next to her.

"Everything okay, Thi?" I asked. Thi chuckled and looked out over the dead trees and foliage that was beginning to vanish into glowing green orbs. She then shrugged.

"I think Princess Celestia really underestimated how much these power elements can do. And she knighted me to protect them?" She shook her head. "What have we've been thrown into, Fie?" I saw the look of uncertainty in her eyes. I didn't know how to respond. I sighed and bowed my head. I then looked to see Sharp Eye also trailing behind. I stopped and waited for her. Thi stopped just a bit ahead of me. Sharp Eye glided over to us, avoiding any form of contact. I then put a reassuring hoof on her shoulder once more.

"You know, Thi. I think you might be looking at it in a wrong way." I began. Both Thi and Sharp Eye looked at me quizzically. "I don't think she knighted you to protect the elements themselves. She wanted you to protect the ones being embodied by them. I thought that was obvious as to what she meant." Thi rubbed the back of her head and nodded.

"Yeah... I guess so. But... how am I able to keep up if stuff like that happens?" she furrowed her brow. Sharp Eye bowed her head.

"I... I don't think anypony would be able too. Everything me and err... Fie did." She began. I gave her an approved nod before she continued. "I saw how both our beings were used as puppets to combat one another. I'm amazed we were able to even survive one hit from each other. Even more so that somegriffon who has no connection to these strange powers able to live to tell the tale." She sighed. "All I ever wanted to do was see the ponies smile. The produce companies have been slaving them so much and driving up demand that Appleloose was beginning to fall apart." I looked at Thi, who returned it with a quiet breath. I then rubbed my chin in thought.

"Perhaps... maybe it's just time to let things change?" I began. Sharp Eye looked at me. "I mean, I know Appleloosa is the tried and true historic place in Equestria's history. But even the Castle of the Two Sisters is a ruin out in the Everfree. That's where they grew up and even ruled over for a time. But now they are in Canterlot. Not everything will last forever." I flourished my hoof. "Appleloosa will eventually be an abandoned ghost town later down the line. But it's still around thanks to tourism. That, and it has the biggest orchard in Equestria. What you've done in the time that I'm assuming you did, you gave ponies a little more respite to carry on with the day. To be their best selves. Just like we have to." I pat my chest. "We have forces beyond our control. And it's a long road for us to even start on where we should begin. But until then, we'll be our best selves. That's all we can do. Face the day." Thi chuckled.

"You should have taken a job of being a motivational speaker rather than a mail pony." she stated with a smile. I grinned in response.

"I'm surprised you didn't freak out at the sight of a giant bird." I said. Thi quickly waved her hooves at me.

"Wha? No! We don't ever bring that up!" She retorted. "I'm done with birds today." she growled, shaking her head. She then looked at Sharp Eye and gave a sheepish smile. "Oh, uh... no offense." Sharp Eye smiled softly. I saw her ease a bit.

"Technically... I'm a half bird. But I can understand." she said. That seemed to break the ice just a bit. We continued to chat a bit before reaching the exit to the canyon. My friends waiting for us. When I stepped forward ahead of them, I took a deep breath. I could see a gathering of ponies and other creatures across the ravine. I looked to everypony.

"Let's go."

PreviousChapters Next