• Published 8th Aug 2017
  • 589 Views, 9 Comments

Primordial Conflict - Jumping Jack



A young mare must journey Equestria in order to fulfill a universally unavoiadable fate along with seven others in order to prevent the disruption of universal law. All the while trying to prevent a dark force from acquiring their elements.

  • ...
1
 9
 589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20: From High Waters to Dry Lands

Chapter 20: From High Waters to Dry Lands

I couldn't believe this. Equestria is doomed. If it wasn't the eventual flood, it would be the entire world itself. We failed. Thi and I looked on in horror from where the feline fell. The raging waters crashing as the rain came down hard along with lightning and thunder crashing around the area. I bowed my head. What the hell are we going to do now!? I heard Din hum in thought and then heard her chuckle. Suddenly, there was a blinding bright light coming from the water. It flashed brightly and a soothing voice rang out from the sea around us.

I do not accept this as a satisfying answer. I must find the light. I must find the light. The voice echoed around us. Thi and I stepped back from the side as the flash dimmed. Suddenly, the water began to swirl and the ship jerked with the motion. The Lion's Mane also jerked with the motion, the creatures on board screaming in terror.

"Get 'em below deck!! Now!" I heard Michael say from the ship. Suddenly, as if from nowhere, the water began to rise. It rose overhead between us and the Lion's Mane. The water then came crashing down and the ship rocked with the force. Thi flicked her head down and we stood on the platform. I looked up to see Cloudchaser, Flitter and Sharp Eye floating while Scribble was dangling from Sharp Eye's hold. I then saw another part of the water rise up behind them and they barely managed to avoid it crashing down and rocking the ship again. There was a metallic groan before a roar sounded.

My kingdom... where is my kingdom...?

Thi shook her head in disbelief.

"I hope you're ready to take on a giant octopus, Fie." She said with uncertainty. I bowed my head.

"What does it matter? We just lost the element of water to... water!" I exclaimed. Thi darted her eyes in uncertainty once again. She bit her lip. So many things were running through our heads. Suddenly, the ship began to split beneath us. The ship was ripped apart in half. I could see some of the mechanical monstrosities fall into the water along with several of the caged monsters and cargo. Below us at the center of the whirlpool was a bulbous, spectral head of water that resembled a toothy octopus. The tentacles formed from the water, clear and see through. Thi kept us on the platform she conjured as we watched in awe. I squinted my eyes. I noticed a faint glimmer of light. Using my gifted eyesight, I could see Catlyn, her eye no longer her own. It was pupilless, but glowing a bright, aquamarine glow. Primal possession. I pointed down the center.

"I can see her! I can see Catlyn! She's at the center of the whirlpool! I think... yeah, she has the Flash Stone with her!" I shouted over the raging rapids and the loud roar of the tyrant spectral octopus beneath us. Thi looked at me.

"Fie, we have to get that stone! Aquarius has her domain is set right now!" she shouted in reply. I looked over to my friends as Sharp Eye slung Scribble over onto her back.

"What do we do!?" Flitter shouted over the raging water and thunder. I looked and saw the Lion's Mane managing to stay afloat. It was circling the spectral water octopus. I pointed to the ship.

"Drop us onto the Lion's Mane! I have an idea!" I shouted. Cloudchaser and Flitter picked us up and flew over to the ship. We landed on the deck as the Black Whiskers were doing everything in their power to keep the ship afloat. Kale was at the steering wheel while Michael barked orders. When he saw us, he rushed over to us.

"What the blazes is happenin'!?!" he shouted over the loud roar of water. A bellowing, deep roar of Squirk rang throughout.

My kingdom... my beautiful kingdom...

Thi shook her head before looking at Michael.

"Your captain is in the center of that whirlpool!" she stated. Kale looked over his shoulder.

"She's alive!?" he called out. I cantered over to Kale.

"She is! But she's not in control right now! The Flash Stone is being contested by Aquarius! She's the reason we are still afloat right now!" I said. I saw Kale cast an uncertain glance at the monstrous spectral octopus.

"Then what do you propose!?" he shouted. I looked over the side of the boat and saw the many debris that were still floating. The guttural groan of Squirk roared once again. I then saw it. A path. I looked over my shoulder and motioned at my friends.

"Kale! You keep the ship steering and leveled! Cloudchaser, Flitter, Sharp Eye! Help the Black Whiskers load up the canons! Thi, Scribble, I'm counting on you to let them know when to fire!" I stated as I cantered down the stairs. Thi balked.

"What about you!?" she stated. I gave her a queasy but determined look.

"I'm going to have a talk with Aquarius! I need you to cover me with canon fire! I have a feeling Squirk is going to make it hard to reach Catlyn!" I shouted. My friends gave me surprised and shocked looks.

"Are you crazy!?!? You're going to jump in and talk to it!?!?" Cloudchaser exclaimed, her dumbfoundedness indescribable. Scribble had dropped his stoic act and was looking at me with sheer concern.

"Fie, are you sure!? We need you both alive, you know that, right!? There has to be another way!!" he shouted. I smiled.

"Then trust me!" I then looked back, timing myself before vaulting over the side. I heard everyone shout my name. I landed with a loud splash on a piece of floating metal debris. I nearly slipped, but managed my footing. I then stood up on two legs and surfed the rapids. I looked ahead to the center, my eyes darting in thought as I tried to find the best route to her. Seeing a floating container coming up, I readied myself and kicked off on the floating piece of metal, landing halfway up on the container. I scrambled to pull myself up, keeping my balance. I felt my heart racing as the adrenaline was kicking in. Dammit, dammit, dammit! WhyamIdoingthiswhyamIdoingthiswhyamIdoingthis!? I saw another piece of debris sailing by in sync with another. I hopped over to it, just in time too as I hadn't noticed a spectral tentacle came crashing down to where I was moments before. I looked back to see the Lion's Mane. I saw Thi point her bat and shout as the Lion's Mane fired a series of canon balls. They sailed through the air and splashed around me. They hit a few of the tentacles that were beginning to form. Squirk roared in pain.

You dare... defy the great king Squirk?!

Squirk shook the split piece of the Triad cargo ship above. Debris and cargo began to fall down around me. I felt myself get launched forward as a heavy piece of machinery landed behind me. I tumbled through the air, landing on a floating mechanical monstrosity. I blinked, looking down at it in confusion. How the hell is it still floating!? I noticed that there were white balloons on the sides of it. It appears to be some sort of safety device. I cocked my head and shrugged before looking at the spectral, bulbous head of Squirk. I saw an eye form and glare at me.

Pony! P... Pony!!... P-p-perish!...

Squirk groaned as tentacles began to rise up again. There was a series of loud explosions behind me and the whistling of canon balls hitting the tentacles. Squirk roared in pain again. I looked down at the monstrosity and opened up a latch with my magic. I then climbed in and looked around. These things are weapons, right? I remember hearing some of the guards in my patrol talking about them. But how does it work? I saw a picture displayed on the side wall of the beast. It showed a pony loading a shell into a compartment before showing a graphic of the beast firing. I studied the images quickly before looking around and spying the shells. I used my magic and my own strength to load the shell into a compartment, ensuring I followed it to a tee. When it was ready and I heard a loud clunk, I took ahold of a lever with my magic and watched through the slit to see myself line up perfectly with the eye. I then pulled the lever and there was a loud thunk sound and the beast jolted back and a hiss of a projectile sailed out. It hit Squirk square in the eye, causing the creature to roar and flail the cargo ship it held. I quickly climbed out of the beast, feeling a little liberated from the experience before jumping over to the next bit of debris, narrowly avoiding a falling beast onto the one I was in moments ago. I then looked on in worry as I was out of pathing. I seemed to have stunned the octopus, but I know it wouldn't last long. I blinked, finding myself next to Din. Din hummed as she cast a sideways glance down at me.

It is quite amusing to see you pull off something like this. Despite putting both of us in danger. But if you are here to ask me to grant you wings, I'm not a princess. I'm a queen. And the queen does not do as her subjects says. But I can offer you an alternative. She smirked as the amber gem formed in front of me. I furrowed my brows and looked up to her.

"You sure we can't talk this out with her?" I asked. Din chuckled.

Talk is boring. I'd rather use hooves. she said. I slumped. Maybe Ouroboros was right. We both do have a strange thrill of fighting. But this time, I wanted to do a different approach. Aquarius seemed to be a bit more reasonable than Gaia. But considering she's contesting Squirk at the moment over the Flash Stone, I have to think of something. I bit my lip, looking at the gem. I could see Din eye me with curious interest. I sighed, taking a deep breath. I pushed the gem away and found myself outstretching my hoof. The halberd formed and I took ahold of it. Din chuckled. Our funeral. She shrugged. I blinked and found myself feeling a strong surge of power. The fiery halberd flowing spectacularly over my staff. I closed my eyes and split myself into three. I looked to see my clones have their mane and tail flowing like fire. So, that's what I looked like in this state. I couldn't get a proper look last time. I shook my head. Focus, Fie. Get to the heart of the matter. I blinked and looked at the glimmering light in front of a floating Catlyn. The heart... The heart! I heard Din smirk.

About time. I was really getting bored waiting for you to remember the simple rule. And you did it without my help! Lucky you. She cooed mockingly. I frowned.

'Seems like you had more of a hateful grudge with Gaia than Aquarius.' I thought. I then ordered my clones to take aim. We stood up and hoisted our halberds like javelins. I could see a spectral tentacle rise up in front of us. My copy heaved her halberd, causing it to rupture and explode the tentacle, causing the stunned Squirk to grunt and groan. My other copy followed suite by heaving her's and it unfortunately was caught on falling debris, causing it to explode around us. My last copy heaved her's but it caught Squirk square in the eye again, causing him to violently shudder and roar, causing more debris to fall around us. I'm surprised our platform was still floating. I heard the Lion's Mane continue to fire around us, hitting tentacle after tentacle. I took a deep breath and ordered my clones to call back their halberds. It worked. The halberds formed back in their respective copies and this time, all four of us readied and heavied our halberds through the air. Bullseye. Our halberds pierced through the bulbous head of the octopus and collided with the Flash Stone.

I heard a loud cry in unison from Aquarius and Squirk as the Flash Stone began to glow brightly.

Nooooo!!! My kingdom!!! Curse you!!! Ponies!!!

I shielded my eyes as the blinding light shone brightly. I then heard a loud shatter of glass and saw the light spread out into the water. The Flash Stone had shattered. I yelped as the water began to bubble and waver. As if the magic that was causing the whirlpool was fading. But, I wasn't prepared for the next thing that happened. Suddenly, the whirlpool began to funnel upwards. Squirk merged with the funneling water, groaning as he did. From the funnel emerged the face of a watery alicorn. It glared down at me as I felt myself beginning to rise up. It was a hurricane. A massive one. The split in half Triad Ship was sucked in while some debris were sailing and tumbling in free fall around us. I looked back as I saw the Lion's Mane being lifted into the air, circling the outer part of the hurricane. I looked and saw somepony flying towards me. It was Sharp Eye. I could see spectral, green wings around her own as she swooped in and scooped me up, pulling me just outside of the hurricane. We landed on a decent sized piece of metal from the ship and she looked up at the hurricane.

"Fie, the Lion's Mane can't take much more! We have to stop this now or else everycreature on board will die!" she said. There was a loud, but soothing voice that rang through our heads. It echoed far.

"I am not satisfied. Not satisfied at all. I demand answers and I will have them. Where is our sister? She must answer for what she has done." Aquarius spoke. I heard Din hum curiously.

Whatever do you mean, dear sister? She asked more so to herself.

She still continues to talk! I've had enough of this child! The poor life within her waters... how heartless! I heard Gaia state. Sharp Eye and I exchanged glances. Are we cross communicating with the primals now? Aquarius's hurricane sent out a swirling tendril out of her funnel and swirled in front of us. The water alicorn stood majestically before us. Her coral wings flapping before resting at her side.

"You are in no position to debate, Gaia. You never listen to words." Aquarius said, echoing loudly but soothingly. Gaia swirled from whatever earth she could find, looking like a Frankenstien monster upon formation. Din formed from a rising fire next to her. She snickered.

"That look suites you, Gaia. You should wear it more often." she said with a smirk. Gaia glared.

"Quiet, Din! We need to have a word with our sister here." Gaia replied. Din grinned evilly.

"Aww, but we were just getting to the fun part!" she cackled. Aquarius snorted.

"I have no words to express to both of you. I do not have my answers and I am in no mood for games. I grow tired of you all." she expressed with eerily soothing disappointment. Din wiggled a hoof.

"Words, shmurds. Ugh, if you weren't so boring I'd think I'd have more satisfaction crushing you under my hoof." she said in disgust. I couldn't believe this. I looked to Sharp Eye, who seemed just as dumbfounded. These three are having a sibling spat while we are floating high in the sky with a massive hurricane. You know what? I give up. Just roll with the flow now, Fie. I sighed and shook my head, stepping forward.

"Aquarius. We know full well what you are capable of, but would you at least hear us out?" I looked to Din and Gaia before turning back with a muzzle scrunch. "Well, at least hear me out." Aquarius looked down at me, nodding her head in approval.

"I caught you walking through my domain. You are a curious creature indeed. I wonder whatever you wanted from me?" she asked. I held up my hoof and opened my mouth to say something, but slumped before shrugging.

"I have no idea. But now that we are on the topic. Perhaps you can let us all down and we can discuss it more on the ship?" I asked. Aquarius shook her head.

"You destroyed my chance of reclaiming my domain. If it wasn't for the wretched octopus, I would have my domain at the ready. Why should I even remotely listen to anything a saboteur would say?" She motioned to the hurricane. "We'll call this a... coup de grace. If I am not satisfied with your answer, then I will kill you all without any delay." I rubbed the back of my wet mane. I looked to Sharp Eye, who gave a just as lost shrug in return.

"Err... yes. Real sorry about that, but I think having an octopus as a ruler of water isn't quite so pleasant as uhh... you." I said. Aquarius remained silent. I cleared my throat and continued. "So, let me ask you this then. Why are you so obsessed with finding this light?" I asked. Aquarius hummed in thought before speaking.

"Our older sister has to pay for what she has done. I am seeking her out so she can do just that. Pay." she explained. I cocked my head.

"Pay what? Did she... do something to you before?" I asked. Din scoffed.

"We all have a mean streak, little pony. But there are plenty of things our older sister does need to answer for." she said. Gaia cast a sideways glance at her.

"You speak too much, Din. And you don't know when to stop speaking, Aquarius. Have you even asked the World Serpent?" she suggested. Aquarius nodded.

"Many times. But he just says to figure it out on my own. So, I am. I thought I had found the light with that Flash Stone, but a dead end once again." she said. Sharp Eye stepped forward, holding onto her hat.

"Pardon me, but uhh... is there any reason why Catlyn is not present in this discussion?" she asked. Aquarius nodded.

"My vessel is trying to search for her own answers currently. I do not want to disturb her." she said. I shook my head.

"She's trying to look for her brother. And she won't find him if you keep her held inside that hurricane. You need to let her free." I stated. Aquarius sighed.

"But, her brother has always been with her. He sleeps deep inside her heart. She does not know it, no matter how many times I show her." she said. I rubbed my chin in thought. That sounds a lot like... spiritual death. I shook my head.

"Aquarius. I get that you are trying to find answers, but when normal creatures like us find answers, we do have to look inside ourselves to understand what we are looking for. And there are some creatures who have no clue. You have to let Catlyn figure it out on her own. You can't keep goading her into attacking everything on sight just to find a light or uhh... a missing brother. I don't know, a sandwich!" Aquarius cocked her head slightly.

"Sandwich?" she asked. I nodded.

"Sure. Sandwich. You see, we question ourselves, why are we hungry so much? It's a primal instinct that happens, sure and there are plenty of ways to sate that hunger. But, a real nice sandwich can do wonders. So, you seek out the ingredients to make the perfect answer of a sandwich. And then when you eat it up, you'll be satisfied with the answer you have. Is it good enough? Does it require more ingredients? Enough mayonnaise? Were the crusts right? Did it need crusts?" I gesticulated my hooves as I spoke. "A sandwich is the answer to the question of hunger. So, if Catlyn is trying to look for her brother, she needs to eat the answer, but she has to find it for herself. She needs to build up to a definitive answer." I sighed. "We mortals don't think like you immortals do. You maybe never satisfied with your questions, Aquarius, if you don't take the time to piece it together to get one. And there isn't just one answer to anything. There are multiple answers to everything. Just some are dumb choices and others are questionable." Everyone was quiet. Din broke it by frowning at me.

"That's what you're going with? A sandwich debate?" she facehoofed. "Now I've heard it all." Gaia hummed.

"The mortal does make this... sandwich sound edible." she said. Sharp Eye slumped in disbelief. Aquarius hummed, swaying her head.

"So... I must find this sandwich then... which will hold the answers I seek? It will help me find the light?" she asked. I facehoofed.

"Great. We are Equestria's sole saviors and we are having a deep conversation about sandwiches. Equestria is doomed." I said defeatedly. Aquarius shook her head.

"I... you confuse me so, mortal... I must... I must find the answer to this sandwich... You. You have to give me my answer." she said, looking down at me. I looked up at her.

"Uhh... it's not that deep." I said with a hoof wiggle. Aquarius seemed to stomp her hoof in protest.

"No, that answer is not to my satisfaction. You will give me my answers or be lost to the waves." I balked as Aquarius shot back into the hurricane. Din and Gaia retreated into us and I felt myself being pulled away as a spectral, aquatic hoof shot out and destroyed the platform we were on.

No more talk of sandwiches or I will drown you in my sister's own waters. Din sighed. I groaned and found myself twirling and flying as water torrents began to shoot out from the funnel. There was a shimmer from below and I looked to see Sharp Eye release an arrow into the funnel. She did this several times in tangent. I felt myself swishing my head and aiming as a fire beam pierced into the waters. Aquarius swished her own head from the funnel and fired out several jets of water out at us. I twisted and flipped around the jets and got closer to the hurricane. I had to think of something. I could see the silhouette of Catlyn inside. I looked at Sharp Eye and called out to her.

"Sharp Eye! We need to work together here!" I shouted. Sharp Eye dodged a spectral hoof from swiping her before flying up to me, gliding in place.

"What do we do then?!" She shouted. I withdrew my halberd and held it up.

"Use me as an arrow!" I said. Sharp Eye shook her head.

"Fie, you say a lot of crazy things, and I'm starting to worry about your mental health!" she said in exasperation. I smiled.

"Trust me on this!" I replied. I held onto the halberd, lining myself up straight with the shaft as Sharp Eye knocked my halberd.

"Fie, I would apologize for killing you in this stunt, but if that was the case, I'd be seeing you real soon!" she said. She then released and I found myself being surrounded by an earthly gale. We hit the hurricane and to my honest surprise, my dumb idea worked. I found myself floating in the eye of the storm. It was calmer here, but the swirling vortex of water around us as walls would be death for sure. I saw Catlyn in a water bubble, clutching her head and struggling to wrestle control. She was conscious. That's a good sign. I hovered over to the bubble and tapped it. It gave off a glowing aquamarine hue. I darted my eyes in thought. I heard Din cackle.

This was far easier than expected! Aquarius is too much of a talker and not a planner. Don't mind if I do! I found myself hopping back and swishing my head.

"Wait, Din! Catlyn!" I stated. I aimed my horn.

When will you learn mortal? Or must I be convinced with sandwiches? I'm never going to live this one down. A concentration of fire formed into a ball at the tip of my horn. A thin fire beam shot out and pierced the bubble. She had aimed it just slightly away from Catlyn. I heard a loud scream of pain as the hurricane began to waver. The bubble popped and the hurricane stopped. The funneling water came crashing back down. I kicked off in the air, seeing Catlyn begin to fall. I swooped down and caught her in my hooves just in time, carrying her over the downward crashing of the hurricane. I noticed the Lion's Man landing on a massive wave that carried it down into the waters. I was amazed it didn't capsize. Sharp Eye and I flew down to the ship as it steadied itself with the massive waves that were beginning to settle. I landed on the deck to a sound of silence. The clouds began to clear and the water began to normalize. Only the sound of the waves casually crashing against the ship. Slowly, but eventually, the deck began to get crowded as murmurs turned into chatter and then chatter into cheers and claps. I lowered Catlyn on the floor of the ship and looked around in confusion. I saw my friends looking on with smiles. I looked to Sharp Eye, who was just as confused. But she tipped her hat and smiled. Kale and Michael rushed forward from the crowd.

"Catlyn? Catlyn!" Kale said, rushing forward and kneeling down. The feline coughed and opened her eye, looking dazed and exhausted. She the saw Kale and smiled weakly.

"Kale... you came back for me..." she said. Kale smiled, nodding.

"I always will." he said. There was a loud splash and we looked to see a torrent of water form onto the deck into a watery alicorn. Aquarius groaned and panted.

"Urgh... Your answer... vessel... did you find it yet?" she rasped weakly. Catlyn winced as she stood up, being helped by both Kale and Michael. She limped over to her and studied her.

"Aquarius. I heard what you've said. All of it. I do not know if I can trust your words anymore if you have no clue what you are seeking. This light can only be found if we look for it another way. And if that light isn't what you seek, then we start again. That simple." She explained. Aquarius groaned, unable to move. I felt Din leave me and her form manifested from fire. Gaia formed next to her, watching Din. Din grinned and lowered her head to Aquarius.

"Rest your voice, dear sister. Know that hooves are better than words. Again." she flicked her sister's horn before flowing back into me, causing me to grunt in pain as the feeling of magma flowed through me. I fell to the floor on my stomach, panting. Gaia rolled her eyes before turning to Sharp Eye.

"I grow tired of all of this. Vessel, dream me up a pleasant garden this time, will you?" she said before flowing back into Sharp Eye, causing the griffon to reel forward onto the ground and clutching her stomach. Aquarius was out of words. She flowed back into Catlyn, who screamed in pain and fell back onto the ground, writhing a bit. Kale and Michael rushed over to her, holding onto her as she felt whatever she was feeling from Aquarius flowing into her. She panted and sat up, clutching her stomach.

"That... rightly hurts!" she hissed. I found myself being helped up by Cloudchaser and Flitter while Thi helped up Sharp Eye. I shook away my daze.

"I'm never going to get used to that..." I rasped. Sharp Eye nodded in response.


It took a while for everyone to gather themselves up. The day was spent patching up the Lion's Mane's holes and damages. The crew were quiet, only speaking to each other to help out. While that was going on, me and my friends were crowded inside of Catlyn's quarters. Kale and Michael at her sides while she sat in her chair. She had spent some time recuperating before moving about. When she was ready, she asked us to meet her. She had her saber and cutlass out on the table. She leaned forward, studying the weapons. She then brought her eye up to me and Sharp Eye. She tapped the pommel of her cutlass, the sapphire like gem gleamed in the light.

"What happened today will forever be one of the Black Whisker's most interesting adventures." She stated. Michael nodded.

"In all me life. I've never thought I would be sailin' the Lion's Mane into the depths of Squirk an' live to tell the tale." he marveled. "This'll be a grand tale to tell Labyrinthian folks back home." Catlyn sighed.

"Now, the next question is, what should happen next?" she eyed us as she spoke. I rubbed my foreleg and stood up.

"Catlyn? I'm... sorry about what I said earlier... I was just worried that Aquarius was going to get you killed along with everyone else. I know you have a hatred towards the Triad. At this point, everypony here knows that full well now." I began. Catlyn closed her eye in thought.

"We lost a lot of great men today. Husbands, wives and the ambitious. But that is the life of the High Seas. They knew what they were gettin' themselves into being apart of this crew. I knew that since kit-hood." She shook her head. "I'm sorry for not believin' ye' when I should have. All that blood and violence for a dead end. I failed as a captain and let my crew down." Kale put a reassuring paw on her shoulder. I looked at Sharp Eye before shaking my head. I put my hoof on the table.

"Yes. Today was a catastrophic disaster. And there will probably be way more than what you and your crew are capable of. But you shouldn't blame yourself. Aquarius goaded you into following her own lead and not yours. I don't know why she wants to seek her sister out so badly to pay for something, but I can only imagine the worst." I smiled softly. "But you aren't alone in that. Sharp Eye here had the best intentions for Appleloosa, but Gaia fed her sweet words to carry on and it nearly led to another disaster." Sharp Eye nodded, rubbing her scarred claw.

"I was aware of all the pain that was going on, but I let my own desire blind myself to what Gaia truly cared for. She almost succeeded too." she smiled and looked to us. "If it wasn't for Fie and her friends, I probably would have not come too. It isn't my proudest moment in my life. And I don't think I'll ever live it down. But..." she winked at me. "We just have to be our best selves. Just like you have too, Captain. You have to be the best you are to those you care about. This ship. Your crew. They are practically your family. And they will see the bad and good of the one they look up to." I nodded my head in agreement.

"It's going to get difficult to live with what had happened. But we have to be our best selves. That's all we can do and carry on. Look towards the horizon and face the day." I said. Catlyn eyed us both before turning around in her chair, staring up at the portrait of the feline. The golden picture showing a grey and white striped feline who looked down at us with a stoic look, her sword posing in a pioneer fashion. She sighed.

"My great grandmother's legacy has been tarnished by the foolish and naive ambitions of somecat trying to follow that legacy." She held up a paw to the portrait and caressed it softly. A look of sadness washed over her. "When my parents passed away, the status of captain passed onto me. I had my brother join me as first mate. It was a lot of fun plundering the High Seas with everycat here. But when we crossed paths with the Triad, they took everything from me. My special treasure. My brother." she sighed and turned to us. "I spent my whole life chasing lead after lead to find him. I spent years doing so. But in the end, it has all been dead ends." Kale put a reassuring paw on her shoulder again.

"But now that things have settled down, we must do as our newfound friends say." He motioned to us. "Face the day. Captain Catlyn of the proud Lion's Mane. We are at your service and ready to set sail." Michael guffawed and smacked his knee.

"He's rioght, ya' know. I worked alongside yer' folks and even they knew not was in store fer you. We'll find yer' brother iffin' till we hit Scallywag's Locker." he said. Catlyn smiled, putting a paw on Kale's own.

"Thank you. Both of you." she said. Thi wrapped a hoof around my neck and pulled me in, smirking.

"Well then. That was quite an intense ride. But in the end, we somehow were dumb enough to survive it all." she said. I nodded before looking at Catlyn.

"Catlyn. I would like to renegotiate our deal." I said. Catlyn looked at me and smiled.

"Yes, of course. Your trip to the Marsh Lands. What is it that you want to negotiate?" she asked. "It's the least I can do for everything Aquarius has done." I nodded and motioned in no particular direction.

"We do need to arrive at the Marsh Lands. But I feel we need to plan a little more going forward. If you recall, I'm tasked with finding the rest of the power elements and bringing them back to Canterlot. It'll... require you having to step away from Captain duties for a time." I said. The three felines exchanged glances with each other. Catlyn put a paw on her hip and tapped it in thought.

"So, you want me to join your group of friends?" she asked. I rubbed my foreleg.

"Well, yes and no. I'm thinking on this a little more but the concept I have right now is that, we won't necessarily request you until a certain time." I said. "The Summer Solstice is the deadline for when we need to have all seven of us prevent a calamity. But that isn't until another few months. We're nearing a new month, but it is still winter. I'm thinking, come the Spring Solstice, is when we all need to gather together again and make way to Canterlot. It'll give everyone time enough to handle their own things and hopefully conclude them before we need to focus on the bigger task at hoof. Err... paw. Whatever works." Scribble rubbed his chin.

"That does sound like a steady idea. It'll keep the other power elements from clashing with one another till the time happens. We don't really need to use them until the Summer Solstice anyway. And perhaps we'll also figure out how to properly tame these elements enough till the time comes." he said. Flitter smiled.

"That's actually pretty clever, now that I think about it." she said. Catlyn looked between us and then to Kale and Michael.

"Well, what do you two think?" she asked. Michael grinned and slammed his paw on her desk.

"Why the 'ell not! It'll give us plenty o' time to plunder the seas more." he grinned. Kale smiled and nodded.

"A fair idea. Captain?" he asked. Catlyn eyed me. I held out a hoof and smiled.

"We require safe passage to the Marsh Lands. In return, we will require your service to the fate of Equestria come spring time. I'll even put in a good word to the Princesses that the Black Whiskers are true friends and allies to Equestria." I winked. Catlyn rubbed her chin before leaning forward and taking my hoof, shaking it.

"If it'll allow me to seek out my brother with no restraints, then it is a deal." she said. My friends cheered along with Kale and Michael. The day went by with sea shanties, ale and patching up the remaining damages and having a bit of carnival fun with the Triad ponies that hung behind during my break out. The one mare wasn't happy. She glared at me as I walked past her tied to the shaft of the sail.

"You'll regret this, traitor! The Triad will not be humiliated!" she barked. Cloudchaser, who was walking with me at this time, waved a wing coolly.

"Your duty to the Triad over Equestria is blasphemy. Silence, heathen." she said with a smirk. I snickered before looking up at the mare.

"Sorry, but I never intended to side with you. Enjoy the festivities!" I said, walking away with Cloudchaser, leaving the mare to grumble and growl. Cloudchaser and I walked up the steps to the front of the ship and leaned over the railing. I levitated over an ale bottle from a sleeping feline and popped it open. I took a swig of the drink before passing it to Cloudchaser. She took it and took a swig, only to pull away and cough.

"Ugh! So strong!" she coughed. I chuckled and took the bottle back.

"Lightweight." I teased. Cloudchaser grinned and leaned on the railing. She motioned to the tied up mare.

"So... what are they going to do with the stowaways?" she asked. I shrugged.

"That's up to Catlyn really. They were planning on taking over the Lion's Mane and they are awful ponies. What the pirates deem to do is not up for us to decide." I said. Cloudchaser rubbed the back of her head.

"Certainly is a gray area I guess. I wonder how everyone back home is doing." she said. I looked out to the sea, seeing the sun beginning to lower. Now that I had time to recollect my thoughts, I thought back to Ponyville. The month is nearing its' end and it already felt ages since I left home. I then smirked and looked at Cloudchaser.

"Maybe we can find out one way." I said, turning around and leaning against the railing still. "Fire's Angels." I said. There was a series of four loud cracks, causing the sleeping feline to startle awake and tip over his crate. Lavender, Tender, Bubble and Whistle bowed before me. I noticed they weren't wearing maid outfits anymore. Lavender Heart was wearing a red flannel short sleeved shirt with her curly brown mane in a ponytail. Tender was wearing a plain, blue jacket, her braided mane draped over her left shoulder and looking pleasantly pleased. Bubble was wearing workout clothes with leg warmers. She was drinking a bottle of water before belching. Whistle was wearing a black open hoodie coat with a punkish tee underneath. I arched my brows at the four. "Oh... did I pull you four away from something?" I asked. Lavender shook her head.

"Not me! I was lounging, reading a fantastic novel about the old history of Equestria." she said. "The pone-ish is a little scratchy, but I can read it just fine enough. It's quite interesting. Did you know that Equestria has a connection to another realm? It's quite fascinating. There has been old tales about a young heroine named Megan that would often visit Equestria centuries ago." she explained. Cloudchaser cocked her head.

"Megan? Never heard of that name before." she said. Lavender nodded.

"Because the tale is about as old as the World Serpent himself. But get this, she was called a 'human'." she said. I blinked and rubbed my chin.

"Why does that word sound familiar?" I asked. I then noticed Tender fidgeting. I smiled at the mare. "Everything okay?" I asked her. She eyed me before blushing and brushing her mane.

"Everything is fine, mistress Fire. My duties to you come first." she said. Bubble nudged Tender.

"Tender here got herself a boyfriend." she said with a giggle. Tender flushed. I felt a slight nip in the back of my head. I looked blankly at her but with a smile spread across my face.

"Oh." I then quickly coughed, changing my expression. "Uhh... whoops. Were you... currently on a date?" I asked. Tender nodded. but she stood up and pat her chest.

"Again, we serve you first before anything else." she said. I looked at Cloudchaser, who just seemed to be as intrigued at the news. I felt the nip starting to increase. I sighed and waved at Tender.

"Sorry about that Tender. You go have fun with your date. All I was going to ask was how everything is going on over there. You all seem comfortable now." I said. Tender nodded and with a loud crack, she vanished. Whistle took her place and bowed.

"If I may, mistress?" she asked. I cocked my head. "Your neighbors have been asking about you. Word has reached far about your accomplishments after the Red Canyon incident. Most ponies have already put together that it was you who took out the Roc that attacked Canterlot. It was you who started to clear the roads of unsavory monsters and creatures from terrorizing everypony. Ouroboros has never been more proud of his choices." she said. I slumped and kicked the floor of the ship.

"I hope everypony realizes it's not just me. My friends have been working their asses off just as I have." I said, taking a small swig of the ale. Bubble waved a hoof gently.

"News stations have been tracking your progress. Plenty of ponies out there getting in on the big scoop. You've even inspired some ponies to help out where they can." she explained. I coughed and looked at them in shock.

"What!? You mean... there are actual ponies actively going out of their way to help out clear the roads?!" I said, startling Cloudchaser. She rubbed the back of her mane.

"What's the issue?" she asked. I motioned to no direction in particular.

"You saw for it yourself when you were escorting the dead Roc to a disposal sight! Normal means don't work on the lackies of the power elements!" I pointed at her. "Monsters are one thing, but the power elements?! Ponies are going to get themselves killed! I have to tell Twilight and the others!" I said, reaching for my ear. But Whistle shook her head.

"Ouroboros supplied Canterlot and the Crystal Empire with special gems imbued with small bits of his power. They will only activate when a power element's 'lackies' as you call it start to attack." She pat her chest. "The ponies back home have been busy. The Princesses are still handling diplomatic solutions with the other leaders to help combat the rampant creatures. Groups have been rising up and fulfilling mercenary roles to fill in the holes that the sisters cannot see. The Crystal Empire has been starting to show signs of sinister magic beginning to rise. Reports have been showing signs that King Sombra may have returned." Cloudchaser and I slumped. King Sombra was bad news before, but hearing that he's beginning to show signs of revival? It has to be that Sombranite. Have the Triad went ahead of schedule? Whistle continued. "Word has already gotten out about the High Seas. How a massive hurricane formed out of nowhere and once again, eye witnesses have described both you and Sharp Eye on the scene." I balked and rubbed my temple.

"How!? Who... what!? Who is getting so close to us that they are able to track my progress!? They must be as dumb as I am." I said. Cloudchaser snickered.

"Yeah, but I doubt they are badass enough to jump into a raging whirlpool and fight a giant octopus." she said. I flushed as I was pondering this information. Someone is tailing us. They are keeping track of my progress. They are the ones that are sending news back to land. My jealous nipping was replaced by sheer paranoia now. I instinctively looked around before peering over the side of the ship. Cloudchaser smiled and put a hoof on my shoulder. "Relax, Fie. I am certain that they don't have any bad intentions. They are just freelancing and think this is the biggest scoop of their life." I looked to her and shook my head.

"No, it isn't a good thing. If the Triad don't know about us before, they do now." I felt my frustration grow. "Argh! This is bad. Like, really bad!" I was beginning to pace back and forth. "If they already sent word back to land, then they are definitely following us into the Marsh Lands. They are going to get themselves killed! Or worse... they are going to expose me for suggesting sandwiches to a water god!" I made a panicked noise. Cloudchaser found my panic amusing. She laughed and wiggled a hoof at me.

"Ahahaha! That's your biggest paranoia? Being exposed for suggesting sandwiches to a force of nature?" she snickered, shaking her head. I felt myself flushing more and more. I groaned as the embarrassment was rising. I threw my hood over my head and sighed, sitting on my haunches. Cloudchaser pat my back. "It'll be fine, Fie. We'll protect you from the big bad reporter. You're doing enough for Equestria as is and considering we are kind of hopeless against forces of nature, we are still rooting for you on the sidelines." she said. I shook my head.

"But I don't want all the credit! You guys do just as much as I do..." I sighed. "I never wanted any of this..." Cloudchaser looked to the three mares, who seemed to express concern. I peeked out from under my hood to them. "So... aside from my eventual heroics from being released... what about Starswirl? We haven't heard much about him after the Red Canyon incident." Bubble spoke up, casually on her side and stretching her hind leg up and down.

"Ouroboros finally told Starswirl about how to return to Limbo. He thought bringing him along to be at the helm would be a good nostalgia trip. But it seems Starswirl is more concerned about containing this Pony of Shadows." she said. "Twilight and her friends have been trying to find alternative ways to handle the situation by finding The Pillars. But with two out of commission, it's been hard to do so." I glanced at Cloudchaser with concern. Lavender spoke up.

"Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have been readmitted to Canterlot Hospital. Fluttershy has been recovering quite well. She's awake and is actively being watched over by Discord. Rainbow Dash is awake as well, but she'll be bed ridden for a few weeks." she said. I darted my eyes in thought. I had a certain thought. I need to help them out as well. Twilight needs all the help she can get. I sighed and bit my lip. I only have two freebies. What should I do? Should I go for it? Ask Ouroboros to speed up recovery for Rainbow Dash so she can help out? But... what if she gets hurt again? She'll definitely hold a grudge against the Triad and she might mistakenly go after them again. She'll end up worse than hurt. I grit my teeth. What should I do? I reached for my ear, only to stop as it began to hum. How long has that been going off? I pressed my ear and heard Twilight on the other line.

"Quiet Fire, are you there?" she asked. I looked up.

"O-oh, Twilight! I was just about to contact you." I said, trying to keep myself calm. Twilight spoke.

"I'm glad you are okay! We heard what happened out in the seas. I'm looking at the map right now and I can see you are on your way to an island off of Equestria. Listen, I need to tell you something. Starswirl is planning on going back to Limbo and we know exactly what happened to The Pillars. I won't be able to respond for a time." There was a momentary pause before she continued. "You've come a long way from when you first left off. Funny how things have turned around for you." I blinked in confusion at this.

"What do you mean?" I asked. Twilight shifted on the other end.

"You've been a constant friend to Ponyville. I can say this to everypony here. I'm glad out of all the places you were able to move to, Ponyville was the best choice for you. It was for me." she said. I arched a brow.

"Uhh, pardon me, princess. But it sounds like... you're saying goodbye to me?" I asked. Another shift on her end.

"For now. Like I said, I'll be unable to communicate for a time. It's starting to get hectic over here. Ouroboros has been trying to uhh... include himself in some things, annoyingly so. Just a heads up, he maybe poking around you guys from time to time." I sighed. Great. Just what we needed. But... something was off.

"Twilight? Are you okay?" I asked. Twilight sighed.

"Not everything is alright, Fie. Ever since Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were hurt, I've been... less than myself lately. Everypony is trying to cheer me up, but... she paused again. "Fie, as the Princess of Friendship, I want to task you with one final thing. Do you remember when you asked me if we would be alright in the end? About how all of this has just been on big gamble?" I lowered my head a bit. "Thinking about it a bit more and doing some digging around... I just... I'm going to find a way to not have it happened. But... everything will be okay, Fie. We'll figure something out." She said. The line was cut and I balked.

"Wha? Princess Twilight? Hello??" I stated. "What happened?? Come on, you can't just leave me with that and not go any further! What do you mean by all of that!?" Silence. I sighed and looked over to Cloudchaser, who was looking at me with worry.

"What's going on, Fie?" she asked. I then put on a determined look and turned to the three mares.

"Lavender. Bubble. Whisper. Fill Tender in on this as well. I want you all to ensure that you are watching over the Princess of Friendship. Twilight Sparkle may end up doing something stupid and from the way it sounded, whatever she has planning doesn't sound good." I said. The mares looked at each other before to me. They then bowed.

"Forgive me, mistress. But we are not allowed to follow that order. Ouroboros has stated otherwise." Lavender said. I bowed my head.

"Oh..." I said. I had to think of something else then. That was, until Lavender smiled.

"Buuut. We can check up on Twilight, as per your request. We are not allowed to interfere with the Elements of Harmony, or risk desensitizing the elements." she said. I nodded my head slowly before blinking.

"Desensitize?" I asked. Bubble flourished her hoof matter-of-factly.

"It's one of the bylaws Ouroboros has in place for his own powers. Anything gifted by the World Serpent will alter the natural magic that flows through Equestria. The only exclusion of this bylaw is direct interference with balance. Somepony has already broken that rule and now he is trying to correct it. We are his creations gifted to you. We can interact with the bearers, but we cannot alter the way the bearers use their magic. By being in their element, if we are to get anywhere close to it, we will corrupt that flow of natural magic and 'block it' from working as intended." Bubble explained. Cloudchaser rubbed her chin.

"So... walking bad luck charms basically." she said. The three mares nodded.

"We understand your concern for the wellbeing of your friends, Mistress Fire. We will do what we can while remaining under oath of the bylaws. But if anything were to happen that requires their elements to be in place, we cannot interfere." Whistle smiled. I bowed my head and nodded.

"Thank you, girls. Dismissed." I said. There was a series of loud cracks as the mares vanished. Cloudchaser studied me as I stood up and went back to staring out at the sea. She rubbed the back of her head, seemingly looking frustrated. We spent the rest of the time just staring out into the sea. Our thoughts lost to our own. When it was time to rest, I looked at her with a soft smile before walking past her. I can't help but think back to what Twilight was telling me. The way her tone of voice was. How she was responding. It felt so... different than usual. Twilight has had her fair share of depressive moments in Ponyville before, but this seemed a bit more serious. Can you blame her, Fie? Two of her friends got hurt and she's dealing with all the stress of managing our tasks and whatever issues are going on over there! She is going to help out with these Pillars, but what can I do to help!?

By being the best you.

The voice echoed in my head. I sighed as I found myself in the crew quarters. Some of the felines were already asleep while some were up and about, playing cards or chatting. I found an empty and barren hammock and climbed into it, resting and feeling my mood shoot down. I couldn't get any sleep that night. I kept having visions of Twilight, her words echoing in my head. I then found myself staring out to the valley below, Canterlot in the distance, Ponyville followed after and a couple of other landmarks leading to the next village over. I looked up to the sky, seeing the constellations glimmer and sparkle.

"Draco. Cygnus. Andromeda. Orion. Scorpius. All the constellations are shining brightly to the coming alignment of the stars." a voice said. I looked over my shoulder, seeing Twilight Sparkle smiling at me. A motherly smile. I studied her a bit more. This isn't the Twilight I know.

"Who are you?" I asked. Twilight tilted her head a bit, keeping her motherly smile at me.

"Who I am is not what you should be concerned about. I am merely nothing to the ever expanse of our universe. I was planted in this world to overlook the balance and harmony of it all." she said, walking over to me. I turned to face her.

"But... then why are you still here?" I asked. Twilight stepped forward again. Only this time, she walked right through me. I turned to her as she started to walk out over the cliff, acting as if there was ground beneath her. She stopped and turned to me.

"The Princess of Friendship will one day become ruler of this land. I have gathered so many memories of her and her friends. Their achievements. Their sorrows. Their bliss. But Harmony doesn't belong to just a single six pair of ponies. Yes, their friendship is tied to our world in more ways than one. But Harmony will always manifest in some way. I can hear our Equestria. Crying out for the ones who will protect her." She kept her smile as she focused on me. "You have an important responsibility. And I have watched you from the very moment you came into contact with the Elements of Harmony. You are a special case, Quiet Fire. Far more special than anyone can make you out to be." I darted my eyes in thought. I swished my hoof in confusion.

"What do you mean? How am I special?" I asked. I then growled, feeling my frustrations rise. "I never asked for any of this! Why am I the favorite? What are you?" I then wavered, bowing my head. "What am I? Who am I? Am I a hero? Am I just a pony? Or am I really myself? I... I can't understand myself anymore. I've done so much since this whole thing was forced on me and I still don't know who I am. I'm Quiet Fire. I'm me. But... how am I me?" Twilight chuckled softly before displaying her wings up, the stars becoming a blur and spinning around us.

"You ask yourself unnecessary questions when all you need to do is look to the stars. You are Quiet Fire. And forever will be. While I remain where I am. Forever an observer." I could see her beginning to fade. I tossed out my hoof.

"W-wait! What is happening to Twilight!? Why did she sound like she was planning on doing something that may end up hurting her?" I asked. Twilight began to sparkle and shimmer. "Wait!" I called out, finding myself cantering over the cliff and finding that the path was solid. I picked up my canter into a gallop, reaching out to Twilight. "Twilight!" I called out again. When I reached her, she was gone. Sparkling light glided up to the stars above. I looked up and gasped. I saw myself. I was wearing a strange set of sparkling prismatic rainbow-like armor. A magnificent halberd resting at my side. My mane flowed like the princesses, my mane connecting the night sky. My coat shimmering brightly. I then saw seven stars descend from the sky. I saw Din form next to me, her usual grin across her face. There was Gaia. Aquarius. Tenebres. The clear alicorn who I'm assuming is Ventus. A snowy, ice like one who I'm guessing is Shiva. And the last one. A bright, glowing alicorn. The seven surrounded me. I looked around, shrinking beneath them, terrified. I looked back up at me. My eyes swirling with what appeared to be a galaxy. I then saw it. Twilight standing before three creatures. A bug like alicorn pony, a red centaur and a filly pegasus. Equestria standing behind her. As if all at once, Twilight floated with her friends, undergoing a strange transformation accompanied by Starswirl and several other ponies as well as six younger creatures. Myself and the seven aimed our horns up and concentrated the power up as the rainbow that fired from them sliced through the power magic. As the rainbow swirled the three creatures, a flashing beam shined high into the stars. The world began to flash around me.

I woke up.


It has been two days since we were out at seas. The Lion's Mane was patched up enough as we were on our way to the bayside town of Trottsberg, were the Marsh Lands lie further in. I was sitting on the very end of the bow. Holding onto the rope as the waters were calm and the wind cool but enough for the ship to gain a considerable amount of speed. Catlyn took the helm of the ship while Kale and Michael stood next to her, spotting the crew and their destination. My friends were on the ship somewhere, doing their own things. I sighed as I closed my eyes, the sun beginning to rise a bit further up. My thoughts continued to fall back to the dream. The Twilight in my dream. It was starting to come together the more I thought about it. But despite the one sense out of it all, there was still the other questions followed by it. What will happen once all seven are together? What will happen to us? I opened my eyes as I heard distant bells. I looked to see an island straight ahead. I then felt some pony sit down next to me. To my surprise, it was Flitter. She smiled at me, holding onto the same rope I was.

"We couldn't help but notice you having a couple of bad nights lately. Everypony is worried about you." She said. I sighed and nodded.

"I know. It's just... The way Twilight had spoke to me. I have a really bad feeling something is going to go wrong." I began. Flitter kicked her hooves casually over the bow.

"You know. After all that has happened, we've had questions that we've been meaning to ask you specifically. Cloudchaser already asked why you picked us. But now I'm wondering something else." She smirked and nudged me. "Cloudchaser tried to get it out of you. And I've seen the way you've been acting around her." I suddenly flushed and nearly slipped off the bow, Flitter having to fly around to help me back up as my hind legs flailed to keep myself from falling into the water. When I found my footing, I turned to her and froze.

"Wh-what do you mean? What has she been saying?" I asked. Flitter put her hooves behind her back as she floated over the bow.

"Oh, nothing much. Though, I think she's starting to catch on as well. But I want to hear the details first." she said with a coy smile. I quickly tossed my hood over my head and avoided eye contact.

"I-I have no idea what you are talking about. I told you it was just normal thoughts. Everypony get those, right?" I asked. Flitter sighed and slumped.

"Listen Fie, we've been following you for the past few weeks. We've helped so many ponies and saved two of the seven. At this point, you had plenty of moments where you've represented courage. Heck, the creatures we saved from the Triad ship are still talking about how you jumped in to fight a giant octopus and live! Sure, what you did was dumb. But the stars favored you and it worked. I don't think I've ever met a pony with dumb luck like that before." she explained. "Yet, you've always had this look of doubt everytime you've jumped in. Kind of like how Galavance reacted in the canyon." I sighed.

"Because one wrong move and everything would be over. I... I can't afford to make mistakes." I said. Flitter rubbed the back of her head.

"No one is saying you aren't making mistakes. I'm sure you've made plenty and many more will be made as we go. It's the way of things. You're not perfect. No pony is. So, when you are around us, do you doubt that we don't have faith in you?" She asked. I remained silent. Flitter flew around and faced me. "Look at me, Fie." I hesitated. I then looked up at her finally. I could see a reassuring smile. Her eyes full of life. I wavered my look. "We aren't that hopeless, you know. When it comes to the forces of nature, that's where you shine the brightest. You face it with courage I've never seen from anypony else. Thi well... she would be with you if she could. But she doesn't have the privileges like you do to go against such a thing. What I'm saying is, despite all that has happened, if you have the courage to face those obstacles, you can tell us what is going on. We aren't going anywhere." I studied the pegasus. I've seen how she can handle herself in a fight. How well she seems to keep herself calm and collected in the heat of things. Completely different from her sister, who seems raring to go all the time. I sighed and looked around. I then bit my lip, feeling my anxiety pick up. I counted to ten before taking a deep breath and speaking.

"A-alright... I... I picked you two out of selfish desire." I said, shutting my eyes tight. I was bracing for her reaction, but she seemed to cock her head in confusion.

"Selfish desire?" she asked quizzically. I rubbed my foreleg and nodded.

"Flitter. I need you to promise, this never leaves this bow. The true reason I brought you both along is because... IlikeCloudchaser..." I said. Flitter leaned in, putting a hoof to her ear.

"What's that? You kind of mumbled at the end." she said. I flushed, my grip on the rope tightening.

"I... I like... Cloudchaser." I said finally. Flitter looked at me, her look of stoic surprise on her face. Oh boy... Feeling my anxiety increase ten fold, I waved my hooves up at her in dismissal. "Ah... forget I said that... I don't really like her... well... I do... but not in that... way... errr..." Flitter studied me. I slumped. "You're not buying it, are you?" Flitter then perked up and shook her head with a pleased smile.

"Nope! But was that so hard?" she asked. I nodded.

"Very much so. Don't ever do that to me again." I said, feeling my embarrassment rise. Flitter giggled. I then peeked out from my hood to her. "How... long have you've known?" I asked. Flitter lowered herself and pat my head.

"Since we left Ponyville." she said. I balked.

"Wha!? How!? I thought I didn't make it that obvious!" I stated. Flitter smirked.

"When you asked her to spar to size her up, you were checking out more than just skill." she said. I felt my ears steam. Flitter laughed. "That's adorable! I never thought CC would catch the attention of somepony like you." she said. She then tapped her chin. "So, when you asked for both of us. Does that mean you also like me like that?" she asked. I saw a mischievous glint in her eye and I shook my head furiously.

"N-no! Well... I mean, I do like you but not in that way! It's only... your sister..." I sighed. "I... I did bring you along too so you could keep your sister in check. Maybe encourage her to finally... be herself more?" I explained. Flitter studied me again. "She's told me how she wanted to do more with her life. And how much coming along with me and the others had finally given her what she wanted. I figured having you along would help her push herself a little more. You seem to have your life figured out. But... me and Cloudchaser... just seem to understand each other in that regard. Well... I understand her. I'm certain she's still clueless to it. But I too wasn't always... this." I motioned to myself. "I was also lazy. I half assed everything and it wasn't until one day when my folks decided to get me to be a Canterlot Guard did I start changing. And now... I'm here being more than a mailpony." Flitter hummed in thought.

"Okay, I think I'm starting to understand this a bit more." she said. She then smiled. "Don't worry. Cloudchaser still doesn't know it, even though she has a slight idea. I'll keep your crush safe with me. In return, I can get you some juicy bits about her if you want." She put a hoof over her mouth to cover a devious smile and I looked up at her in shock.

"Don't play with my heart, devil." I said with surprise. We paused before bursting out laughing. She playfully slugged me on the shoulder.

"You're okay, Fie. And I'm glad we are able to live up to your standards. In fact, I think we needed a break from the reserves anyway. We're still working under Wonder Bolt orders, but it's nice to see more of the world." she said. We then heard a voice call out.

"Alright, ye' sorry lot! We'll be dockin' at Trottsberg! I want our money counted and our supplies restocked! Reparin' the Lion's Mane fully will take us a bit! I don't want to see ye' slackin' one bit! Get a move on!" Catlyn ordered. The ship rang out.

"Aye aye, Cap'n!". The sails were rolled into half-mast as the crew began scurrying about. A sea shanty began to ring out after one feline sang a verse, causing the whole ship to harmonize with it. Flitter and I walked back towards Catlyn, who took the helm again and grinned.

"Hope ye' enjoyed the ride, ponies. We'll be arrivin' soon." she said. I looked over the crew and then a thought occurred to me.

"What about the refugees? The ones we saved from the Triad ship? How are we going to get them back home?" I asked. Kale smiled.

"Leave that to me, little pony. I can safely arrange the terrified creatures home. For now, they get to enjoy a simple vacation into the bay side town of Trottsberg." he said. Michael grinned.

"After the fightin' we did and our victory over that nasty beast and typhoon, I say we earned ourself a little more drink at the bar." he said, licking his lips. Catlyn rolled her eyes playfully.

"One day, we'll find ye' dead from a keg crushing yer' gut." she said. Michael grinned, brushing his snout happily with a single paw stub.

"Aye! That'll be the best thing to take to the Locker!" he guffawed. I looked ahead. I could see a bell tower protruding from the town. Not too far away was a lighthouse on a lonely, rocky shore. Beyond the town was a dirt road that branched out in many directions. My guess is that one of those roads would lead us to the Marsh Lands. I felt Din stirring inside of my head. She cackled softly.

Where, oh where, could my dear Ventus be?

PreviousChapters Next