• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,100 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,100

PreviousChapters Next
World 6: Chapter 1

“Ever since you decided to step back through that portal, we’ve been watching your exploits from the side.” The Discord with the mustache held a different tone, more direct, more curt. He did not appear to have the same jovial nature as the Discord whose game Sunset suffered under.

We?” Sunset side-eyed the Discord she knew. “What does he mean by that?”

“You’re a bit slow, so I’ll use small words,” the mustached Discord replied. “Somepony going back in time is so chaotic, we can hardly not notice. And when somepony else traverses the worlds between time, well, we can’t help but watch! Of course, the two of us did not dare sit on the sidelines once we saw how pathetic you were. He believes in you, and I don’t. So I’ve made a world trapping you forever!”

The Discord from the previous world nodded. “Since I am deafening his magic, he is also subduing mine. Meaning, neither of us can help nor hinder you. Only the worlds you traverse.”

“Which means I’ve had to rely on outside help. A little bit of time manipulation and practicality can do wonders, especially when you always arrive at the same time in the same place for every world.” The terrible Discord cracked his knuckles and moved aside, letting the two unicorns step forward. “King Sombra, Queen Chrysalis, Nightmare Moon, Lord Tirek. I learned from watching you deal with all of them. You say you’re a good person, but we both know that’s not true. Your conquests, your fiascos. Silly little pony. I’ve learned that what it takes to defeat you is nothing more than a liar, and I’ve found the best liars this world has to offer, setting them up for success.”

“Indeed,” the two pale amber stallions said in unison. “And, boy oh boy, have we spent time working to build up or push down your friends. Spreading them so far apart, they’ll have no chance to connect. The Flim Flam Brothers are unbeatable with Discord on our side!”

The helpful Discord stepped beside Sunset. “The Elements of Harmony can take down the Discord of this world, but unfortunately those two have hidden them. I am uncertain where they placed the Elements.” He then gently placed a hand around her shoulder, squeezing her tight. “My world was to help prepare you for this. Do you feel prepared?”

“No, I get it.” She took a deep breath in through her nose. “You are helping me. You told me last world that you could alter Princess Twilight’s path, which means you’d be altering mine as well. If I defeat this Discord then you still can. Collecting the bearers, getting them their Elements of Harmony, and moving on.”

“There’s no need for you to do any of that,” the terrible Discord replied. “You won’t be making it past this world. They won’t allow you, and neither will I! Welcome to prison, Sunset Shimmer! For crimes against the Elements of Harmony and its bearers, you’re sentenced to life in this world!”

“Crimes!?” Sunset shouted. “What crime—err, I mean, I didn’t mean to—well… That’s just really rude of you to say! I’ve atoned! Reformed! I’m friends with Princess Twilight for Celestia’s sake!”

The terrible Discord rolled his eyes. “Nothing can undo what you’ve done. We are reformed. You are not. You haven’t earned the right. And now you’ve bored me. Enjoy prison life. Don’t try to make too much of a ruckus otherwise you’ll end up in a jail within jail,” he said, chuckling. With a twisting twirl, he disappeared into thin air.

“As Discord mentioned,” one brother said. “We are here to make sure you’re carted off to Tartarus at the first sign you’re up to no good.”

The other then continued, “We also know all about the bearers. Should we suspect any of them side with you, we’ll have them carted off too. We’d have done it before now, but we’re not evil like you!” They chorused their laughter, trotting away before Sunset could edge in an insult or chide their sense of morality.

“I am curious where you will begin,” Discord pondered, scratching his chin. “Regardless, I am with you through this thick and thin. Should you need advice, just remember: I may not be the Discord from your world, but I am your Discord.” He then set a hand on her backpack, transforming himself into the satchel, replacing her sunny logo with his face.

She sighed. “Thank you, Discord. I do appreciate it, but it’s obvious what I have to do. Defeating that Discord will certainly be a chore, but it’s a return to what I did before I entered Tirek’s world.” Sunset refused to smile. “It’s funny, isn’t it? Though I hesitated because of Nightmare Moon, Tirek’s world stopped me from tracking down the bearers altogether. Nightmare Moon and Tirek were almost mirrors in an odd way, their worlds seemingly perfect, but only surface level. I saw too many similarities, and if it hadn’t been that way, if I’d used the Elements of Harmony on Tirek, I would have done the same thing to you in your world. Then… upon coming here…”

“You would have been ripped apart from the fabric of reality,” Discord finished for her, the backpack shifting from his movement.

“Exactly.” She stood still for a moment, catching her mental breath.

“Well? What are you going to do?”

Undoing her straps, she set the backpack down on the dirt. Opening the flap and gagging the draconequus, she lifted out the journal that had caused her so much trouble. “I’m not too worried about being sent to Tartarus, seeing as how I’m an alicorn with a large repertoire of spells. If they’ve been gifted with power by this world’s Discord, they certainly didn’t look it.” She flipped through the pages. “What does stand out to me is that they believed the bearers would easily be converted. It's as though they worked hard to prevent such a thing, but still recognized it could be done. However, if they’ve used literal years to plan for my arrival, as flattering as that is, wouldn’t they have gone through the trouble of marking me as an enemy to everyone?”

“They most likely know how good you are at converting ponies to friendship,” the bag muffledly replied.

“Again, flattering, but there has to be something more.” Sunset scanned the pages, looking for the names. “There’s nothing in here about a Flim and Flam. Not that I can remember, at least. It’d take a while for me to examine every page, but I fear that might mean the worst thing imaginable.”

“Which is?”

“They’re not villains. No plans for world domination or magical theft. Just liars and con-artists. That Discord rattled off the names of all the villains I’ve gone up against. The one who tricked me hardest was the one I thought remained a good pony. He ruined my friendship with Tirek by convincing me he wasn’t the same stallion I fought in that first world. If this Discord wanted someone just like that, why not go a step further and find a pony or two who aren’t true villains? That’s my assumption.”

The bag hopped up and down, snagging the lip back closed. “What a brilliant assumption it is!” he congratulated. “And if you figured that out, perhaps you can use it against them?”

She slid the book into the backpack, Discord gulping it down for her. “I don’t know yet.” The face furrowed on the bag. Sunset leaned down, whispering directly to the bag. “But I do know one thing—they picked the wrong mare to lock up. If I’ve gotten through five other worlds, what makes them think they’re clever enough to stop me?”

“Confident! Always about you, is it not?”

Sunset grinned and nodded at the same time. “If you can, do me a favor and prevent the table from ever being moved,” she requested of him as she wrapped the straps over her shoulders. “It’s my way out of here. I don’t need them messing with it. For now, let’s head off to Canterlot.”

“Canterlot? I am certain you will find it unpleasant,” Discord stated.

She shrugged off the words as she made her way through the deforested woods, heading for the buildings on the horizon. She knew if things were set in stone long before her arrival, then the world too would be drastically different. Ponyville, for example, lacked the pastel color it once held. Browns and hazy yellows blended together. Ponies wandered the streets in tattered clothes with sore eyes and heads hung low. Chatter between owners and buyers remained the only sound emanated between the inhabitants. Not even the foals spoke.

As they came to the train station, Sunset connected the dots. Many workers, and most of the passenger cars, worked to hold logs taken from Ponyville’s surrounding forest. “Is this train heading to Canterlot?” she asked a pony who she assumed was the conductor, as his garb consisted of blue and white.

“Canterlot? That’s a name I haven’t heard in a while. Only my buddy refers to it as that, and I haven’t talked to him since his wedding,” the stallion replied. “I mean, I guess this train is heading there, yeah. Though if you want passage, I’ll have to deny such a request. Us guards are on super strict orders not to allow citizens aboard.”

She squinted at the stallion, his blue hair and tangelo coat sparking a memory. Had she seen him from somewhere? Spathead? Spearhead? Is that what Rainbow called him? “Well, I’m sure you can make an exception for me, right? It’s not every day a princess boards your locomotive.” She flashed her wings, a corny smile widening at him.

He gawked, far longer than she would have liked. “A princess!? I had no idea we had four! R-right this way! Excuse my ignorance, but like, what are you the princess of?” he asked as he motioned her to board the one of two available cars.

“Oh, just the very important—” She then coughed loudly, not so subtly hiding the fact that she held no real title. “I’d like to meet with Princess Celestia. There’s much to discuss.”

“Well, we’re heading in the right direction, Princess…”

“Sunset Shimmer. Princess Sunset Shimmer,” she answered, boarding the train.

“O-of course! I’ll have the train set on its way immediately Princess Sunset Shimmer! No delays!” He closed the door, and she could still hear him say, “Oh geez, I can’t wait to tell the guys hear about this! I met a princess!”

She smiled to herself as she glanced around the musty passenger car, shades blocked the of the windows. Filled with tools and gears, she maneuvered around the clutter and cleared away a dusty spot to sit. Once the train started, the bulb overhead flickered. Annoyed, she shut off the light and lit her horn. Sitting in speechless silence, she listened to the rattling of the tracks. For a moment, she thought to speak to Discord, but a yawn stifled the idea. With the white noise a constant hum, she remained in her own world, drifting into a slumber. She couldn’t stop herself.

Golden flowers. An indigo gazebo. A darkened sky.

Though familiar, the friends or enemies who appeared were often the opposite of reality. The only constant that remained a stagnant, putrid essence within the dreamscape was the one she had defeated. Yet the demon wasn’t alone this time. A gentle hum came in and out of Sunset’s ears, masking the noise of her own breathing.

“Who’s humming?” Sunset asked Midnight Sparkle, knowing it wasn’t the demon.

“This is the last time you and I will meet,” replied the demon, ignoring the question altogether. She sat cross-legged, her elbows against her knee as her hands held her face. The peaceful humming did not reach lower tones or pierce higher tenors.

“Last time? What’s that supposed to mean? I won’t be sleeping anymore? Or won’t be dreaming of this place?”

The demon rolled back, leaning against the railing. “You’re so close. Discord’s been helping you, hasn’t he?” She shrugged. “Don’t worry, he can’t hear you here. No one can. Ever wonder why Nightmare Moon or Princess Luna couldn’t invade this place? It’s a place only for you.”

“You didn’t answer my question.”

“I don’t need to answer anything,” Midnight Sparkle replied, edging forward to tap the pony on the nose, but Sunset revulsed at the hand. “Come now. Have I ever harmed you?” A laugh echoed in the words, subtly fading.

“I’ll be happy to not see this place again.” Sunset glanced at the indigo paint that chipped slightly at the corners. “Every time I come here, there’s something in my stomach that tells me it’s wrong. When I wake up, the feeling is gone.”

Midnight Sparkle frowned, an exhaustive groan erupted from her throat. “To think you’ve come so far. You just want to go home, right?”

Swaying in contemplation, Sunset answered directly, “Of course I want to go home.”

“You let the lessons weigh you down. I told you not to, y’know.”

“It’s hard to remember everything a dream has told me, especially when they’ve been wildly different every time.”

“Reading in dreams is difficult for you, isn’t it?” Midnight Sparkle pointed at the ceiling of the gazebo. “Is that why you’ve never focused on those words?” When Sunset glanced up at the enormous amount of scrawling done to the wood, she was surprised by how right the dream demon was. “Don’t bother starting now,” Midnight said, snapping Sunset’s attention back to her. “As I said, it’s the last time you and I will be meeting. May as well spend it wisely, right?”

Sunset nodded. “There’s something I want to ask you.”

“I know. I’ve been ready for it.”

“You know? But I just thought of it a moment ago!”

Midnight Sparkle shrugged and placed her hands in her lap. “It’s the same question that you’ve been asking a lot. How is this possible?

The question confused Sunset. “That’s not what I was going to ask—but that’s a better question. How is this possible? Even in lucid dreams, why would I choose to come back here every time I sleep? Why would I bring you to the forefront of my thoughts? I defeated you!”

“Well, I’m not real, but you already know that. I’m just your most recent memory of the world you left. Had things gone differently, you might have met three other girls.” As Midnight Sparkle rose from the gazebo bench, her form changed into a vivid orange, bushy-haired girl with a slender purple top gracing her pale gold skin. “Let’s not dwell on that, however.” The voice didn’t change, remaining that of the Midnight Sparkle.

It then echoed when two other girls appeared behind Sunset, sidling into her peripheral. “The answer to all your questions doesn’t answer the most important thing,” the girl with purple twintails said. “It is possible. It’s all been possible because of you.”

“But I’m not the one who started all this. How is this possible because of me? These worlds have been terrible, are you saying they are all my fault? Even that seems a bit of a stretch coming from my subconscious,” Sunset argued, knowing full well she was right.

“No,” the golden girl replied. “That’s not quite it. You’ve been the witness. A witness to the worst these worlds offered, though they certainly aren’t over yet. These worlds aren’t your fault, but the journey you’ve followed is, and what a journey it has been.” Snapping her fingers, the third girl, one with a blue pigtail, came forward and handed Sunset a book.

Not just any book, however. Sunset recognized it by the hung watch stitched into the binding. Lifting the face to gaze at the broken glass, Sunset saw little of her reflection, and it scared her enough to drop it entirely. Slapping the floor, the book fell open to the middle where an abundance of blank pages sat.

“So empty.” Midnight Sparkle reformed as Sunset eyed the blank contents. “You would think you’d have something interesting to put in here, instead of just quotes from friends you’ve made along the way and names for these worlds you’ve fumbled around in.”

“It’s hard to think of things to place in here. It’s hard to find things worth adding.”

“How long ago did you get this thing? Certainly, not all of it was bad.”

Sunset broke into a defensive stance. “Brainwashed soldiers, changelings, political drama, betrayal, and a terribly annoying game. I’d say every world was the worst at something,” she responded, vindictively.

Midnight Sparkle took the book and held it to her chest, almost like the real Twilight Sparkle hugging her favorite book. “Then perhaps you should reflect on all the good you did and all the wonderful friends you made. That photo—the one of you and Celestia from the ice cream parlor. It’s in here.”

“You mean, like making a scrapbook of all the good?”

The best of all possible worlds.”

Sunset stood in awe of the supposed demon who wasn’t a demon at all. In every dream—or nightmare, as she called it—she always thought of Midnight Sparkle as the enemy, when it reality, it was just Twilight Sparkle. A dream version, her own subconscious, but always her friend.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight Sparkle said, holding up the book to Sunset. “You need this more than I do.”

The wind picked up, deafening the humming, and Sunset realized her lucid time grew short. “Thank you,” she said, knowing she was only thanking her own brain.

“Try not to burden yourself with all the lessons,” Twilight said as she pushed up her glasses. “You’ll end up like me if you do.”

“You say that as if it’s a bad thing,” Sunset replied, the last words spoken. All at once, a jolt brought Sunset back to the waking world. The train screeched to a halt within the station’s tracks. Drool had seeped onto her chin, to which she carelessly wiped away with the back of her hoof. Wiping the sleep from her eyes, she looked around the darkened, cluttered car.

“A nice lull can do wonders, can it not?” Discord asked. “Though, you do talk in your sleep, if only mumbles. Do you often thank your dreams?”

She did not answer the talking luggage. Her mind went to the book she received all those worlds ago, dragging back several striking memories. The taste of a prisoner’s gel, an ever present darkness, and the coldness of frost on her fur. I’ll write more. I won’t forget. I promise, she told herself as she drew on the light. Stepping to the door of the car, she waited for the train to settle. She didn’t even notice the few guards and staff who had been watching her sleep the entire ride, curious of who she was and where she came from.

The murmurings continued as she stepped out into the open station, gazing up at the almighty city. “Perhaps she is visiting Princess Luna? She needed the sleep, to be certain!” one guard whispered just within earshot of the alicorn, while another noted the size of the strange mare. Sunset paid them no words, her mind focused on the abrupt and noticeable difference hanging over what was once known as Canterlot.

Above the rest of the city, clinging high to the mountaintop, lording over the towers and homes, sat the largest sign Sunset had ever seen. Yet incomplete, she foresaw the name Princessland. Missing the ‘cessland’, it wasn’t hard to piece together the unfinished sign. Smaller logos for shops and streets all figuratively shouted the name in Sunset’s face. The taken wood from Ponyville could be seen carted up the long way, meant to finish said sign.

Cringing at the thoughts that passed from the sight, Sunset quickened her pace up the winding roads, which were recently repaved. Though the city was large, it seemed cramped within this world. Buildings had fresh coats of paint done with the most attention to detail, not a single speck of sun-faded blemish. But for every new coat of paint, there was an additional building. From the streets, Sunset found no alleyways or side paths. No alternate avenues for sneaking about.

As she set upon the main road of Canterlot, something she’d done in several other worlds, she found this one to be far more touristy. A bread shop she recognized now only sold loaves in the shape of princess heads, princess cutie marks, and princess symbols. Another shop, a glassblower, sold stained glass windows made to resemble the trio of princesses. Several vases were also available, each with their little hints of princess—a sun, moon, or heart. The further she went, the more she anxiously feared what the terrible Discord of this world made the princesses into.

Treating them like clowns is one thing. Putting them on show or display for ponies to come and gawk at? That’s too far. That’s degrading. She pressed on to the castle, passing rug shops with colorful displays of the princesses and toy shops with miniature versions of the alicorns.

A sudden fear grasped her, a worried thought of paparazzi. Every step she took drew no attention as nopony noticed the wings hidden beneath her backpack, and she made sure to keep it that way.

Yet, once she reached the gate to the castle, she realized wings would be her only way in. “Seven days without entrance? How are any of us supposed to see the princesses!?” whined a stallion who stood at the gate. As she approached, he and his cohorts turned to her. “Can you believe this? Our weekend trip to Princessland and we don’t even get to see the princesses! What an outrage. Hopefully the villain exhibit is still available. Maybe we can get a refund?”

“A refund on what?” Sunset wondered.

“Uh, duh,” the stallion snorted, flashing his golden ticket. Princessland Admission. “I’d suggest you try and get a refund too.”

“I didn’t get a ticket.” She scratched her head, shrugging at the thought. A ticket to enter Canterlot? I knew the city was snobby, I certainly participated in their stuck up attitude for a while, but it was never this bad.

The stallion looked shocked. “Did you sneak in? How’d you do it? Did you figure out a way past their magic barrier? Stuff yourself on a cart? Have a pegasus fly you a thousand yards above and drop you so you’d land on a pool of pillows?”

“I came on the train,” she honestly replied. The group of ponies became wildly confused. “Is that not something most ponies do?”

“Only the Flim Flam Brothers or the royal guard get to ride the trains to Princessland,” the stallion answered.

“Or the princesses!” chimed in one of the mares of their group.

The others laughed at the mare, mocking her for such a claim. It was Sunset who silenced them. “I suppose that makes sense then. And if the princesses are in there, I’m going in.” Extending her wings, she hovered off the ground before gliding over the gate. Wet cement soaked the newly set walkways, and mud soaked the places where grass once flowed neatly. Reaching the entrance to the castle, she noticed a sign warning of wet paint upon the door. Everything is new.

With her magic, she drew it open and closed behind her. Entering the castle reminded her of the passenger car, clutter and mess for far as the eye could see. Taped off entryways and ladders with tools sitting at the top. Boards upon boards and saws still left cutting into wood. “Looks like renovations are happening. Some spring cleaning, perhaps? Seems like a lot of work,” she murmured to Discord, though the draconequus gave no response.

Her body moved with purpose, trudging to the castle’s throne room without pause. The golden doors were already open, though the room was devoid of life. To her surprise, however, there were three thrones, each as big as the others. Celestia’s was clearly in the middle, denoted by the sun shapes that made up the seat. To the right was Luna’s, the moon her own gift, and the left held Cadance, hearts abound. Princess Cadance doesn’t have a seat here, she stays in the Crystal Empire. I guess that isn’t true for this world. And if that’s the case, then that means no Princess Twilight.

Grimacing, Sunset knew she was right. The princesses were on display. Yet without an opening to the exhibit, where had they gone? Trotting up the castle, she found no one. Not a single pony. No staff making dinner, no workers fixing or improving, and no princesses.

One area, the last she chose to check, held the trio of laughing alicorns. The same place sparked a memory. A slap, her shoe hitting the carpet.

The stained glass windows detailing many triumphs still held the same breathtaking awe for her every time she entered. Another memory hit her, one of a changeling hive at the other end. It chilled her bones, and she wondered what happened to the changeling queen of this world. No better time like the present to find out.

Pressing her body through the crack, she made no noise. Princess Cadance was the first to spot her, her laughter ceasing, turning into a curious grin. Removing her backpack as she walked, Sunset chose to remain silent, slowly pressing her advance till the other princesses noted her existence. Princess Luna did not feign her immediate raise of guard and hostility.

But it was Princess Celestia’s attention Sunset waited for. The oldest and wisest alicorn, the expression she would hold would mean the difference in actions planned by the mare from another world. Happy? Good, things can go smoothly. Sad? Okay, things might go well. Mad? Run for the hills.

The large white mare soaked the sight of Sunset like she soaked in the rays of the sun every morning. A frown on her lips tugged tightly, but not tight enough. A sad look, Sunset knew, coming closer. With a reflex of her wings, Sunset went to speak, but stopped at the sudden smile that abruptly transformed Princess Celestia’s face. “A princess!? Does that mean… you’ve changed, Sunset Shimmer?”

A shiver shook Sunset’s body to the core. “I-I-I—”

With strong, long trots, the white alicorn strode to the mare and bent her neck down, nuzzling the fellow alicorn. Sunset couldn’t believe the simplicity. Was princesshood such a triumph as to forgo the regretful way she acted all those years ago? For Celestia, it apparently was. “You’ve grown, my dear student. I know not how you managed such a feat without my help, but I always believed you had it in you.”

“How is this possible? You’re just forgiving me?” Sunset asked, loving the softness of her old mentor’s fur, dropping her backpack to the floor. “Why? How do you know I didn’t just find some powerful magic and make myself an alicorn?”

With a short chortle, Celestia stepped back and replied, “My little student, what a silly thing to say. You’ve been through those old books a thousand times have you not? Only I and my sister know such a spell, giving it to those with the truest of hearts.” She glanced at Cadance, and the pink alicorn giggled.

“That or a crafty bit of chaos,” Luna bitterly mused, noting one of the stained glass windows that held a certain draconequus.

“Oh, for shame Luna!” scolded Celestia. “You and I both know Discord would never care enough to grant such a gift. No, clearly this mare is not from our world. She comes from another, one where she is in my graces and was transformed by love and kindness.” Her eyes fell on the orange alicorn. “Is it true?”

Sunset remained silent in awe of the brilliant alicorn’s deduction. “Actually, Luna isn’t wrong—”

“Preposterous, dear sister!” Luna exclaimed, cutting off Sunset as she pressed to be beside her sister, Cadance tagging along. “If she is truly from another world, then it can only mean one thing. A bad omen. Why else would she come in secret, a student of yours who lost your favor?” Her eyes shot to Sunset. “If you are from another world, do you come bearing good news?”

Her bewilderment simmered, turning her face sour. “I do not. I come for the Elements of Harmony and the bearers. I come to put an end to Flim and Flam’s rule, along with their leader.”

Princess Celestia tapped her chin, no surprise written on her face, where as her fellow princesses stood in disbelief. “Stop the Flim Flam Brothers and their leader? Would that be Discord, perchance?”

“How’d you know?” Sunset questioned her question.

“A numerous number of villains have come to Equestria looking for power,” Celestia replied, glancing at her younger sister. “Yet those brothers managed to defeat them all with gimmicky tools and machines, including Nightmare Moon. Never did they use the Elements of Harmony, except once. And only then were they placed inside a machine—to defeat a certain draconequus.”

“We have never sensed chaos energy coming from the two, dear sister,” Princess Luna negated the comment. “For them to break my curse so easily with their magical machinery, it wouldn’t have required Discord. Time and planning was all they needed.”

Celestia nodded. “And time is something that they did not have. Who would’ve believed a tale over a thousand years old, let alone build a machine to stop the return of such a villain? Of course, somepony, or two, who might have gotten insider information from other worlds might need less time. For one villain, the odds are understandable, though improbable. For more?” She scoffed and threw a hoof into the air at the notion. “Impossible. Eventually, you and I would be beset. Nightmare Moon herself almost bested me over a thousand years ago, after all.”

“I thought you both agreed that since they stopped Nightmare Moon that their skills to take on others made sense?” Cadance interjected. “They went to the Crystal Empire of their own accord, but the changeling attack—you asked them to deal with it. You trusted their abilities, did you not?”

“And now we know why they’ve been so successful.” Celestia lifted her eyes to the stained glass windows. “They told us their machine, utilizing the Elements of Harmony, could trick Discord into leaving our world. However, I believe now he’s simply hiding, aiding them in their endeavors. He is most certainly the mastermind behind their success, and that rings ever more true coming from Sunset Shimmer.”

“But,” Luna said, “If Discord is helping them, then he has reformed his wicked nature. Why the constant lie? What is he hiding that he does not want us to know? Why do the Flim Flam Brothers unite under his guidance?”

“They unite against me,” Sunset interjected, throwing the three princesses off-guard. “The Discord of this world does not believe I have redeemed my actions. He blocks my path from pressing forward to meet what lies ahead, along with returning to my own world. This world is my prison.”

“There are other worlds then? Not just yours and ours? I thought...” Princess Celestia pondered the idea, her eyes pooling together in wonder. “Not just what lies beyond the magic mirror? I must backpedal myself then. Forgive me Sunset Shimmer, I believed you my Sunset beyond the mirror, possibly rewarded your princesshood after reforming and aiding that strange world. However, if you are an entirely different Sunset, one who gained your power in a different way, then are you from Equestria originally?”

Sunset nodded.

“Then you redeemed yourself in your own world and once again became my student?” Then her eyes staggered, becoming wide. “Or did you never leave my services—eventually becoming the pony I always knew you could be?”

Sunset shook her head. “Neither. In fact, my story doesn’t show me in a good light.” She then took a deep breath and readied her voice to tell of the entirety of her quest. From her entry to steal Princess Twilight’s crown, to the defeat of Midnight Sparkle, and then the world traveling, she bared all. Only once did she stop when the night grew long, which forced Luna to break for her duty of raising the moon. They moved to the lower level, the throne room, allowing a comfortable sitting arrangement for the four.

As she spoke of Discord, she debated on whether to tell them of the draconequus sitting within her backpack. “When coming to his world, he gave me back my magic—and more. Wings. Princesshood. A gift from the gracious lord of chaos. An oddity at the time, I found him helpful, and learned that he was not alone. For your world’s Discord, the one who keeps me here, would’ve torn me to pieces without my helpful Discord.”

“I see. My apologies sister,” Celestia inclined. “You were right. Though, Sunset's Discord seems to be quite the helpful lout. I am curious why he turns against himself, or why our Discord turned against him.”

Luna nodded. “He has turned the Flim Flam Brothers into our supervisors, no doubt. Forcing us to sign their annoying contracts, which will keep us in their city, and mark us with penalties if we don’t.”

“What sort of penalties do you have?” Sunset asked.

“Money. Canterlot would effectively close,” Cadance replied.

Celestia added, “We wouldn’t lose our power or titles, but we’d lose the city. To resort to violence would be unethical. Were we villains, breaking a contract and sliding the Flim Flam Brothers under the rug would be no problem. We are not, however, willing to do such a thing.”

“Especially not when they’ve taken care of Equestria’s enemies,” Cadance included. “They might be lying, stowing Discord away, but they’ve done nothing to name themselves as our enemy.”

“I didn’t come here to round you guys up into defeating them,” Sunset informed the three. “I don’t need your help in stopping them, actually. What I need is support.”

“Even from believing your tale and who you now are, why should we aid their defeat?” questioned Cadance, garnering strange looks from the other two. “Well, somepony has to play the pessimist if Luna won't.”

Sunset sighed, realizing now it was time to bring out their fifth. “Discord. You are the ever-present pessimist, right? May as well come on out.”

Her Discord, unraveling himself from her backpack, slithered up and stood tall. Looming at Celestia’s height, he said with a simple grin, “I did not believe you would announce my presence to them. You are often full of surprises, Sunset.”

"Discord!" Celestia bellowed.

“How do we know you’re not the Discord from our world?” Luna asked, eyeing the draconequus, returning to her known cynicism. “Can you prove such a thing?”

“Not in the slightest!” he replied with a chuckle.

“This Discord helped me, and has proven to be—well,” Sunset paused, a coy smile tugging her lips. “He’s a friend. The one in my Equestria is also friends with the bearers. Fluttershy especially. Even this world’s Discord I believe is an ally. Just, y’know, not my ally.”

“I am quite interested in hearing your plan to defeat the me of this world, Sunset,” Discord commented, eyeing the throne room. “He has done much help, utilizing those brothers. Even this throne looks dashing, though it needs a bit more chaos. So, how are you going to do it?”

Sunset glanced up at the draconequus as he studied the room. “I’m going to do what you prepared me to do.” She turned back to the princesses. “In his world, the bearers were evil—aside from Fluttershy, though certainly Angel Bunny made up for that. So, in this world, it must become the opposite. If this terrible Discord sees me as evil, I shall be evil. I shall take you three down and become the sole princess. This is why I need your help.”

“A ruse?” Luna perplexed. “How would that accomplish defeating Discord?”

“We heard her story, Luna,” Celestia answered. “She collects the bearers and uses them on the evil of the world, or attempts to. Uniting them against Discord, she will feign uniting them against us.”

Discord asked, “Why would any of them fall for such a thing?”

“Because if they believe I am turned evil by Discord, they will go after Discord.”

“I see!” Cadance exclaimed. “You plan on using your Discord to act as though he is the other Discord, turning them against you and him! Lying to them about going after us is just a piece of it!”

Suddenly impressed, Discord also exclaimed, “Marvelous! I did agree to help—and you certainly are using all your resources, Sunset Shimmer!”

Sunset stared up at him. A question shot through her. “Why are you helping me? What did I ever do to earn your aid?”

The happy attitude of Discord fell around him, a look of surprise shrouded his features. As if he had been caught with a paw in the cookie jar, he solemnly inclined his head. “You would ask that, a curious question. You see, it really is a funny story,” he said, gulping down a wave of anxiety. “I am helping fix a mistake of mine.”

PreviousChapters Next