• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,613 Views, 88 Comments

Will Ye No Come Back Again? - Judge Holden



The time that he served had shattered all his nerve. A young man goes into the light.

  • ...
10
 88
 1,613

A Flag Draped Casket

"As is a tale, so is a life: Not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters."

-Seneca


Maggie sat at her dresser. It was the fifth time she would be attempting to put on her mascara- she kept crying it off again.

Frank was furious. When he found out, he went to enlist as well, because he wanted to get the ones who killed his boy. He'd served in the Great War and an injury sustained to his leg left him with a noticeable limp. Needless to say, being rejected from the army he'd once served left the man very angry. He put a hole in the wall next to the one Sam made when he heard what happened to his cousin.

Sam's death wasn't just a blow for emotional health. Without his help, Frank's business was cut- the man could only be so many places at once, and Stevie could barely comprehend finances in general.

Speaking of, Stevie did not handle Sam's death well. He told Sam that he wasn't allowed to die, but Sam broke the rule. Why? Was it something he said? Did he do something wrong? Where was his brother?

"Maggie."

She ignored her husband, and was silent when she saw him dressed to the nines- he always hated dressing up, but she almost always had something nice to say about it.

This wasn't one such day.

"We're going to be late. You almost done?"

She took a shaky breath to compose herself, but failed.

"A closed casket," she said. "They couldn't even afford my boy an open fucking viewing."

"Nazi pieces of shit."

Maggie got to her feet, and smacked her makeup off the dresser. She gripped each side of it, and stared down at where the makeup was moments before. Her tears began to drip onto the wood.

"All I wanted was to kiss my boy's forehead one last time," she said. "And they couldn't even let me do that."

Frank fell silent. Maggie, enraged, threw a punch at the mirror before her, shattering it. Amazingly, however, her hand was uninjured.

"I want their heads," she growled. "I want to feed them their balls."

She let out a scream, and Frank pulled her to his chest.

"I want my boy back."

She gave a short, but weak punch to his chest.

"I want my boy back."

End of Chapter

Author's Note:

The next chapter is going to be exciting because something happens in it, and there are words, and Kevin Spacey makes a special cameo appearance in lieu of Mel Brooks.