• Published 21st Jan 2017
  • 1,613 Views, 88 Comments

Will Ye No Come Back Again? - Judge Holden



The time that he served had shattered all his nerve. A young man goes into the light.

  • ...
10
 88
 1,613

You've Got Mail

"Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one."
-Unknown


Maggie frowned.

She never approved of Sam going into the army. First of all, he wasn't of age, second of all, he was quick to anger and a liability, third of all, HE WASN'T OF AGE.

She sighed. They had argued for hours and he just wouldn't back down. He certainly was his father's son. She told him to write them every week he was away, and that on his return they would have his favorite dinner waiting for him- Steak and eggs. Or as Sam was fond of putting it, "Steak next to the other steak."

He agreed to her demand. It was a small sacrifice, and he had blood on his mind since Pearl Harbor, like many Americans at the time. She forced herself to swallow, and she eyed the dishes that she was probably supposed to be washing. Sam's letter was late this week.

With Stevie upstairs playing with his blocks and Frank out trying to make ends meet, there was little else for the housewife to do. The radio was always kept off during Little Orphan Annie.

She smiled. Part of her figured that, so long as they all honored the unspoken pact and kept the radio silent for the show, Sam would one day kick the door in and tune in himself. Then, they would all go off on him for putting it on in the first place, and he would have a laugh at their expense.

First, however, he had to come back safe. He wasn't allowed to die. Stevie told him so before he left.

There was a knock at the door and instantly Maggie was at her feet. The mail was here.

"The Stone Family,

The Secretary of War desires me to express his deepest regret and sympathy that your son Private Sam Stone has been killed in action in Algiers.

Private Stone was an exemplary soldier, never questioning and soft spoken..."

Maggie didn't make it back to the couch. She didn't even finish the letter. She fainted two steps back from the door.
Stupid Krauts.
End of Chapter