• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 5,515 Views, 1,260 Comments

Perchance to Dream - David Silver



Linda settled for bed, only to awaken in the middle of a garden of statues of horses. She was one of them, only not so stone. When she eventually slumbered there, she returned home. Living two lives, can she make sense of it all? Fix it, or enjoy it?

  • ...
42
 1,260
 5,515

PreviousChapters Next
100 - Reflection

I gazed at the mirror and the equine face that peered back.

"Honey," came a soft female voice. She slid up beside me and put an arm around my barrel. Her hand gently brushed through my fur as she leaned in against me. "You alright?"

"Just thinking," I replied to Susan, who had become my girlfriend, or rather marefriend, she loved being called that. She was a programmer, and a good one, so far as I knew. It was good that we were both professionals. The flood of adoring letters, not to mention the idle threats of violence of many kinds, were mostly from people I had nothing in common with. "I'm glad you're here."

She kissed my cheek gently and tickled an ear just at that spot I liked it. "I hope to be for a long time." She had actually popped the question a few weeks before, but I had insisted, like an adult, that we learn more about one another, and how we cohabitate before making that final plunge. I felt silly thinking about it. I loved her. She loved me. Was I afraid of just accepting a happy thing?

"Come on to bed when you're ready." She wandered off, not to sit in bed idly, mind. She had work, and she would work on it until I joined her, then we would greet the night, together. It was a little ritual between us, and I liked it. Sometimes it was as simple as just passing out next to her, other times we did what couples do. It is a notable difference from the male perspective, just to note.

I looked back to the mirror, focusing. I could see her. Me. I knew I was there. I was in a bed in Equestria, being cared for by competent pony nurses. The pains and aches that had marked my injured form had faded under their gentle company. I could slip right into it, like a familiar and comfortable shirt. I could, but I didn't. I could pull it over, switch places and thrust this stallion's body across, to become a statue without a 'spirit' inhabiting it. I could.

I didn't. I slept like a normal person. It was my life again.

I turned back to my lover with a little smile. "I'll eventually have to help the other ponies. I can't ignore that." I mean, I could have, but I had decided against it. I would do what I could.

"I know that." She held out a hand towards me. "I work online, just like you. We will keep getting our jobs done no matter where our meat-bodies happen to be. I don't care. I want to be with you, wherever that is." She lowered the hand to the bed, patting gently. "Now do I have to get a sugar cube?"

I smirked at the equine humor. "That won't be required, seeing as there is already something sweet waiting for me." I slipped in beside her. She giggled and closed her laptop. We forgot about everything else for the moment and made a physical display of our affection.

Author's Note:

I have been thoroughly chastised for leaving some parts unexplained or said, so here we are. Written on a plane, because why doesn't write on planes?! I hope this improves the story.

PreviousChapters Next