• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 2,260 Views, 40 Comments

A Rainbow Forms - TheRainbowDashShow



Rainbow Dash wants to confess her feelings to Applejack. The two have a falling out.

  • ...
6
 40
 2,260

Chapter 2


Applejack watched as Rainbow Dash flew off into the dimming blue sky, "Huh, Rainbow sure was acting mighty strange" she muttered to herself as she trotted back to the farmhouse. The scent of a warm, crisp freshly baked apple pie wafting from the open window. "Ah worry 'bout that pony sometimes, she's always puttin' on a strong face. Ah reckon ah should pay her a visit after supper." she thought to herself as she entered through the front door.

She welcomed the cool and refreshing air from inside her home. A steaming slice of apple pie beckoned for her to enter the kitchen, doing the same with Big Macintosh and Applebloom as they soon came inside and joined her.

Big Mac' made chit-chat about work on the farm, and Applebloom complained about her dozens of failed attempts at getting her cutie mark, but Applejack wasn't able to focus on them, she was still focused on Rainbow Dash. As the night went on her concern for her friend's strange behavior continued to grow.

"What did she want to say to me at the lake, ah bet it was important, but she felt she was 'to radical and awesome' to say it." She whispered to herself out loud without realizing it.

"What'd yah say Applejack?" Applebloom asked, staring suspiciously at her.

"Oh, heh, nothin', don't you sweat 'bout that, ah was just talking tah mahself."

"With how Rainbow is, ah think it's probably best if ah go see her sooner, rather than later. Ah'm sure Twilight won't mind by casting that cloud walking spell, and ah can get Fluttershy to drop me off at Rainbow's place." Applejack having finally made her decision she rose from the table, "Ah'll be back later, love y'all, and see y'all again soon" she called out back to the kitchen as she trotted outside.

Applejack reached the hallowed out tree that was Ponyville's library, and she knocked on the door.
"Just a second!" a pony shouted, books clattering loudly to the floor as the sound of clumsy hooves approached. After a couple minutes the door finally swung open, "Hi Applejack, sorry about that I was just busy studying. It's amazing, did you know that Star-Swirl the-"

Applejack not interested in a history lesson at the moment, interrupted Twilight, "Whoa there Twi, Ah'm sure whatever Star-bearded the Swirler did sure is spectacular. Not to be rude though, but ah'm kind of in a hurry"

Twilight let out a small smile, realizing she had gotten a little carried away, "Heh, sorry. So what do you need?"

"Well, ah'm worried 'bout Rainbow, she's been acting kinda… odd lately, ah thought maybe ah'd go and see if something is bothering her. Anyway, ah was hoping you could cast that spell on me, yah know, the one that lets us earth ponies walk on clouds?"

Twilight's face lit up with the request to perform a spell. Her horn began to let out a lavender aura, as did Applejack's hooves. There was a quiet poofing sound, and Twilight grinned, "All done!"

"Well thank yah kindly, Twilight" Applejack bowed and took off in the opposite direction

"Say 'Hi' to Rainbow for me!" Twilight called out.

Applejack galloped down the road towards Fluttershy's cottage. The sun's light began to peel away from the world, what light remained barely pierced through the graying sky. Crickets began chirping noisily, and owls off in the distance let out their gentle calls. She quickened her pace; the cottage was far from the rest of the town, making navigating to the place somewhat difficult at night.

The sound of rushing water overpowered the critters' noises, indicating she was close to the small river that separated the cottage from the rest of Ponyville. The road branched off onto a tiny wooden bridge; a light-lemon Pegasus crossing it towards the wooden structure up the hill was barely visible.

Applejack waved at her friend, "Hey, Fluttershy, wait! Ah need to talk to yah!"

The yellow Pegasus jumped, her wings locking into place. She calmed herself down once she realized it was one of her friends. "Oh, hello, um, did you need me?" Fluttershy squeaked out nervously.

"Ah need a lift to Rainbow's, ah'm worried 'bout her. An' ah thought maybe yah could help me!" Applejack patted Fluttershy on the head.

"Well, okay, I guess I can try, I'm not a very strong flier you know." Fluttershy's confidence drained from her face as she finished her sentence.

Fluttershy flapped her wings as quickly as she possibly could. Taking Applejack's hooves into her own, she slowly ascended, pulling the earth pony along with her. They travelled through the sky, slowly getting closer to their destination. Her wings starting to become exhausted from the extra weight slowed down their progression even further. Just as Fluttershy thought her wings could go no further, she found Rainbow Dash's cloud home hovering just a few yards away from them.

Applejack reassured Fluttershy that she would be perfectly fine and that she could let her go over the cloud. Doing as she was told Fluttershy let her go watching as the earth pony plopped firmly on the cloud.

"Thanks fer all yer help Sugarcube, Ah'll probably be awhile, if yah don't mind just waiting." Applejack pointed her hoof at one of the nearby floating clouds. Fluttershy nodded and glided over to a small puff of mist that hovered close by and allowed herself to rest in the meantime.

Applejack hopped up to the door, just as she about to knock on it she heard a voice from inside. She had no intentions of eavesdropping, but Rainbow Dash rarely had visitors so curiosity ended up getting the best of her. She scooted closer, placing an ear against the wooden door, and listened in the best she could, "…I love you…" she flinched as she heard this and backed away slowly.

A sudden pain stabbed at Applejack's heart, as well as confusion flooding her mind. She didn't understand why hearing Rainbow Dash utter those three words to somepony hurt her so much. Applejack thought to herself "Maybe… because you love her, and that's why it hurts you" quickly pushing the idea aside, "That's not it, I don't love her… I can't love Rainbow Dash, I mean we're both mares" she told herself letting out a quiet scoff.

When she told herself this, she understood she was just trying to hide from the truth that she felt so ashamed of. Applejack peered back into her mind, looking at her old memories. All the times she had caught herself admiring Rainbow Dash and quickly shifting her focus onto other things to hide it.

On cold nights where she wished to herself wanting somepony near, she realized that she had always wanted that pony to be Rainbow Dash keeping her warm and comforted. All of their heated competitions had always been her secret way of pushing herself, trying to better then she had been before, because of her unquenchable craving for approval and admiration from Rainbow Dash.

Tears started to backup behind her eyes as everything became so much clearer to her. Now, however, it didn't matter, Rainbow Dash had found love with somepony else and not her. Applejack's thoughts of fear and self doubt betrayed her, "How could she love you anyway, you're a MARE" The notion made her feel alone, doomed to never have the pony she truly desired.

Applejack held back the tears for now and called out to Fluttershy, "Rainbows already gone tah sleep, ah'll try her tomorrow!" Applejack crinkled her snout and her pupils shifted around as she avoided eye contact as the lie escaped her lips.

"Oh, okay." Fluttershy replied softly, taking hold of her hooves once again, and glided back down to the Earth's surface, "Are you alright? You seem a little down." She asked innocently.

"Ah'm fine, just a little tired is all, ah'll see ya later" Applejack retorted, nearly crying. She turned her head and hurried away, trying to spare herself the humiliation of her friend witnessing her in such a state.

"Oh, okay then, good night Applejack." Fluttershy had called out in her low volume that couldn't be heard by the retreating pony.

Once Applejack returned to Sweet Apple Acres, she went straight for the barn, quickly scouting inside to make sure it was empty. The pony that was always so strong now convinced she was alone, allowed herself to break down letting her tears flow freely.