• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 2,260 Views, 40 Comments

A Rainbow Forms - TheRainbowDashShow



Rainbow Dash wants to confess her feelings to Applejack. The two have a falling out.

  • ...
6
 40
 2,260

Chapter 12

Applejack's suspicions of Rainbow Dash's whereabouts were confirmed when she heard a deafening scream from within forest. An orange light flickered from near the base of the mountain, growing brighter, larger, as well as traveling toward her. A thick gray stream of smog rising up to the sky as the trees became engulfed in flame.

A chill of horror ran through her as she realized that her lover would still be inside the blazing woods. She couldn't lose Rainbow Dash, she refused to lose her, especially not like this. A rush of adrenaline surged through making her heart race. She took a deep breath, and ran into the dark forest.

The usually solid trail had turned into a slick sludge that reduced her speed immensely. The wind shook the trees causing them to shift constantly and block her path which slowed down her progression even further. She rushed past the sounds of animals as they fled the forest and the imminent danger it presented.

Applejack finally reached the first clearing where a fallen tree was now blocking the path that she normally took that would lead her to her destination. The heavy smoke became visible from the empty space in the sky that the fallen tree had provided where it once stood. She backed up a few steps and picked up her pace, running forward, leaping over the obstacle.

The leaves above her grew much closer together here than the rest of the forest, allowing the mud to stay relatively dry in comparison keeping it much less thick, giving her much less resistance than the prior trail had.

Applejack kept on sprinting until she reached the waterfall spotting a boulder that pinned a struggling Pegasus. The orange glow of the rapidly growing fire was visible and approached them quickly. The pinned pony let out a groan of pain as she struggled before curling up and quietly whispering something just prior to when she stopped moving.

Applejack, fearing the worst for her fallen friend, she hurried over quickly. She pounded her front hooves down, burying them deep into the ground. She then placed her hind hooves on the boulder and gathered as much strength as she could find within herself and pushed. The boulder began to roll incredibly slow, the alleviated pressure starting to re-awaken the Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash raised her head and looked up towards the orange pony, "Applejackā€¦?" she asked in disbelief before her head fell back down to the earth and her eyes closed themselves again.

"Ah'm hereā€¦" Applejack whispered back under her breath as she kept on pushing.

The stone finally rolled off the rest of the way, freeing the leg. Applejack flinched when she saw the sight of the mangled leg, knowing there would be no way Rainbow Dash would be able to walk. She sprinted over to her self-made rock shelf which sheltered her blanket. She laid it down flat next to her friend and scooted her onto the blanket. She then took two of the corners of the sheet and began to pull.

The orange embers danced in the air as they crackled away from the trees. The smell of smoke filling their nostrils as the wood began to burn. The fire had grown incredibly close now. Applejack pulled harder on the blanket, stepping back as quickly and carefully as she could manage. She left behind the waterfall stepping backward down the muddy trail. As she reached the end of the first trail, she found herself being halted.

Applejack stopped at the fallen tree that once again blocked her path. The feeble obstacle that had been nothing more than a small hiccup before now may as well be a mountain that stood in their way. Applejack looked around carefully, trying to find a way through. She spotted a narrow opening in between the heavily clung trees. She pulled Rainbow Dash along and ventured through it.

The roots that extruded from the ground made moving the Pegasus incredibly difficult. She squeezed in between the tightly clumped trees, not noticing as the blanket caught onto one of the roots that stuck from the dirt. She kept pulling, as she did a large rip spread down the center of the blanket.

Applejack dropped the now useless bits of shredded cloth and adjusted Rainbow Dash. She pushed her head beneath the Pegasus and rolled her onto her back and began carrying her. The extra weight made each step exhausting and her balance dwindled to an almost non-existent level. She slowly worked her way through the trees, until she finally found the way back through to the first clearing that granted her access to the second trail.

She knew this pathway was going be much more difficult to carry her friend through as the mud would be much thicker again and the fire was engulfing nearly all of the trees that stood behind them. Her muscles were completely drained from the thick mud as she kept trudging through it.

Applejack heard a snapping noise come from above the two. Quickly, she flung Rainbow Dash off of her. She had reacted just fast enough to protect the Pegasus, but not herself. A large branch cracked and swung down from a small hinge, smashing hard into Applejack's head, the force flinging her into another tree before bringing her down into the cold wet dirt. There she lay, unconscious, as the fire closed in behind them.