• Published 28th Jun 2012
  • 2,260 Views, 40 Comments

A Rainbow Forms - TheRainbowDashShow



Rainbow Dash wants to confess her feelings to Applejack. The two have a falling out.

  • ...
6
 40
 2,260

Chapter 16

A hoof suddenly shook Applejack awake from the chair she rested on in the waiting room. "The operation is finished and Rainbow Dash is awake. You can go see her now if you'd like." The nurse said forcing a weak smile on her face.

Applejack lit up having completely forgotten all of the dangers she had been warned about from the surgery. She sprinted towards her friend's room, pushing open the door excitedly. Reality crashed back down on her hard when her eyes caught glimpse of Rainbow Dash. There she sat in a wheelchair next to the window, her eyes hard and cold, twinkling with sadness as she gazed up toward the cerulean sky.

Applejack, now more than anything, all she wanted was to run away from what she was looking at. Her friend had never before seemed as broken then she did at this moment. Rainbow Dash continued to sit there and stare at the sparkling blue sky, watching as the fluffy white clouds taunted her by floating freely. Her wings were wrapped in a large white bandage and a thick cast covering her mangled leg.

Rainbow's breathing was slow and steady; her face seemingly vacant with the exception of her eyes. Her rose eyes once shining with life now they shared no similarities anymore, they looked hopeless and lost as they sky reflected dimly in her pupils. Applejack knew what she was thinking about, she didn't need anyone to tell her, the silence, and the hallow stare were all any pony needed to know the truth.

"Rainbow Dash… Ah'm so sorry." Applejack whispered from the doorway.

Rainbow Dash heard her, but she didn't turn around, "Applejack, I don't blame you…" she said still staring out the window,
"Without you, I would have still been trapped beneath that rock. Don't blame yourself, it isn't your fault." her voice sounding destroyed and empty as she uttered each word.

Despite the reassurances she had just been given, she still knew she was responsible. She knew she had been the reason Rainbow Dash even went out there in the first place. No matter what any pony could say, deep down she knew she truly was the reason for why this had all happened, and having that knowledge began to eat away at her, filling her with guilt.

Applejack tried to find the right words to say, but she knew she couldn't say anything to make this right. Everything her friend had ever dreamed of was gone now and no amount of heartfelt words would ever change that.

Without any warning Rainbow Dash suddenly began to smash her hooves into the window with, tears rushing from her eyes. She struck at the glass again and again, her eyes burned with rage and hatred as she landed each blow at the cracking glass. When she exhausted the last of her energy she stopped and wept silently in her arms.

"Everything I wanted Applejack… it's gone. Everything… the Wonder Bolts, the sky, the clouds..." Rainbow Dash breathed heavily as her words drifted off, "It's all gone now Applejack." she placed her hoof on the splintered window, her hoof sliding down it as she tried to grasp at the sky.

Applejack approached her defeated friend slowly, resting her hoof on Rainbow Dash's shoulder. Her hoof was swatted away and Rainbow shifted her head the other direction facing away from her.

"Everything I tried for, hundreds of hours spent training for an audition I'll never be able to take part in. My life, my dreams, it's all gone now, all of my work, everything I spent pushing for what I wanted, it's all been for nothing now." Rainbow said bitterly, "Nothing..." she repeated, "I have absolutely nothing left."

"That's not true!" Applejack protested suddenly not even thinking. Knowing now she'd have to finish her thought she took in a deep breath, "Yah still have me, Rainbow." She placed her hoof back on Rainbow and gently stroked her friend's mane offering even the slightest comfort she could.

Rainbow Dash looked at back at Applejack, her eyes seeming to say that it wasn't enough and when Applejack saw them she nearly started to cry again. Rainbow's face no longer emotionless, instead showing sorrow, anger and betrayal, it was the face of a pony whose world had turned its back on, leaving them with nothing to live for.

Rainbow Dash's opened her mouth, her voice choking at the dreaded words that she never thought, or wanted to say. She shut her eyes to block off the tears, hoping to stop herself from crying as she said them. The words stabbed at, shredding at her like daggers and her body shivering as they finally escaped her mouth, "Applejack… I'm never going to fly again…"