• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 425 Views, 24 Comments

The Adventures of Us. - Wind of the Skies



The world ponies live in is a bit different than we were told. Join a minor deity as they explore the world and toss nets.

  • ...
3
 24
 425

Chapter 4

I stop sipping. This appears to be cocoa. I smile at Aegis. "Good choice. Everypony likes chocolate. What exactly did you want to talk about?" I hum at the delicious cocoa. "How'd we meet anyhow? I cant seem to remember."

"You were visiting the princess one day and I just trotted up to talk. We talked about combat techniques and spears. You seemed knowledgeable in some pretty cool techniques. " He sips from a bitter smelling coffee. "I hope I'm not intruding or anything but you seemed kinda rushed yesterday. Was something wrong?" He looks almost concerned. I frown momentarily.

"It was pretty bad Aegis. That should have been my death. And it's ok. I'm still here. Still alive." I grimace. "But I won't lie, dying like that terrified me. It would have been the end of my story. Forever. " I shake my head quickly. I sip my cocoa.

"You were dying? Oh Celestia. How? Why?" He looks startled at the topic. I shrug and smile quietly.

"It happens. Especially in my line of work. I had this strange enchanted object hooked to me draining my life. It was an unpleasant experience. Anything else?" I smile charmingly at him and hope he takes the bait. He does. Hook, line, and sinker.

"Soo awkward question. Why are you so light? I had lifted you once and I almost threw you." He laughs at the memory. Thank you Sunthrower for slow stallions. He smiles too. He is nice in that royal guard way. I adjust my mane thinking on how to answer this question.

I open my mouth. I close it and frown. I raise a hoof and open my mouth. It lowers and my mouth closes. " I don't really know. I eat just as much as an average pony. I think. Do I look skinny?" I hop off the stool and turn my side to him shaking my flank a bit as I await his answer.

It never comes. I glance up to find him looking everywhere else but at me. "Hello Aegis? I asked you a question. Am I thinner than I should be?"

He clears his throat and answers finally. " Have you asked a doctor? They would be able to tell better than I could. But it does kinda seem like you haven't eaten much." He looks into my eyes. Dark grey with flecks of green. Quite a pleasing colour combination.

I nod and reply " I will do so at the next opportunity Aegis. It seems prudent." I finish my drink and sit at the table again. I stare at him quietly not having much else to say. He gets kind of unnerved at this. He shuffles and drinks quickly.

"Windy? What are you staring at? Is it me? Do I have something stuck in my teeth? Is it a staring contest?" He straightens up quickly and stares into my eyes. I blink and stare back. This goes on for several minutes.

"Hey Aegis? I gotta go do some things. it's alright if I leave right?" He's passed out on the table in front of me. "Thanks!" I smile brightly and pay the bill. I then leave with a note taped to his face and fly towards a deadrop that often has good job offers in it. I shuffle through the jobs offered and pick three of the biggest ones. A mare named Weskins wanted for unspecified. Considered extremely persuasive. A diamond dog named Roger wanted for a string of robberies and finally a small wyvern wanted for the murder of nine ponies for the small amount of gold they had. That one's name has been ordered into nothingness. I grimace at the unpleasant thought of doing that. But somepony has to do it. If not me then who? One of the rookies? I'd rather not put them through that. Perhaps I'll start off with Roger. Diamond dogs are always a hoot. I check to see if I have my equipment. I don't. After a vigorous facehoofing session I ruffle my feathers and take flight towards my lonely little shack. I have to retrieve a hat, my magesight glasses, my net, and perhaps a few small weapons.

I make it back to the shed in record time. "Gotta paint it one of these days." I murmur to myself as a passing thought. I open the big stubborn door and start looking for the items. After a ridiculously long search I manage to find all of my junk. It's a tiny shed. How do I lose things in it? I rub the back of my neck awkwardly while staring at the mess. "I'll clean you up later. Ok?" I nod and start flying towards the den Roger is staying at. It's a lovely day out and I enjoy the long flight. I even sing a little shanty. Yesterday was terrifying but I'm ok now. I got over it. Right? I shake my head and keep on flying south. Pretty soon I come across a wild raspberry bush. Sounds like lunch time is upon us. I land carefully and survey the ground for signs of big animals. Fairly confident there are none I start picking the berries to my hearts content. It's the simple things in life you know? They make it all really really worth it. I sigh in contentment at having a belly full of raspberries and recline for a bit.

Favourite part of my job? We can take as long as we want to capture the target. That makes us sound lazy doesn't it? Well we do have stressful jobs and all that. So a little leeway goes a long way. And the big boss ponies don't know when we take the contract out of a dead drop. Kinda cloak and dagger I guess. It's not really dumb either. For a while there we had a competing agency trying to shut us down. Violently too. Some ponies these days I swear. I shake my head at that thought.

"That's no way to think Wind, They were good ponies doing bad things. They thought we were a problem." I sigh. Talking to oneself is never a good habit is it? I shrug and start going on my way again. Maybe these will be another set of easy bounties. Except for the wyvern. That one just screams badness at me. It's unpleasant business unnaming something. I sigh again and keep flapping towards the den. After a couple hours of this I land in front of the Den. Time to do what I do decently, collect bounties.