• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 425 Views, 24 Comments

The Adventures of Us. - Wind of the Skies



The world ponies live in is a bit different than we were told. Join a minor deity as they explore the world and toss nets.

  • ...
3
 24
 425

Chapter 15

After a flurry of shouts and waking activity, we sit down around a fire, kettle on to brew tea, water boiling slowly. Whenever I glance up I see Forest sheepishly glance away, scraping at the ground quietly. The flames crackle and pop in the early morning darkness, stars still twinkling in the sky and smoke inevitably drifting into my eyes until a slight flap sends it flowing away.




“So, nightmares lately?” I glance at him quietly and stifle a yawn, ear twitching as it takes in the sounds around us.




He stammers briefly, “I-it’s never happened around another before! Usually… why is it that all the weird stuff happens around you Breeze?” I jerk and glare half-heartedly at him before slumping.




“I’m no-don’t call me Breeze. I know you’re still recovering from whatever dream you had but it’s been decades.” I prod the fire and hum quietly, unwilling to think about the memories brought up in that dream. Thoughts do come regardless, thoughts of gleaming brass clad hooves standing strong, of the endless sand that sought to steal lives from innocent ponies.




I’m brought out of my reverie by a cloven hoof waving in front of my eyes, threatening to boop my snoot. “Equus to Wind. That is what they say nowadays yes?” I frown at the aged deer, ruffling my wings in agitation as a breeze rustles through his antlers.




“I suppose it is? What are you doing here exactly? Now that I’ve shared my bed with you it’d be nice to know.” I tilt my head and stare quizzically, an eye narrowing slightly as the kettle whistles in readiness. A startled squawk escapes me as I realize the kettle’s going off and rush to make the tea, soon filling the air with the pleasant scent of jasmine.




The ancient deer chuckles and gratefully accepts the teacup with a gentle hoof. “Still at it with the tea Wind? Thought you’d have gotten bored with the hobby moons ago.” He sips it thoughtfully and sniffs curiously. “Though you are certainly better at this than you used to be.”




“You’re acting like I’m growing my own tea, which for the most part is untrue, I buy most of it. All I’m doing is boiling water and brewing it.” I sip my own and hum in satisfaction, eyes closing as the steam wafts into my nose. The crickets continue their nightly song and I breath in the crisp autumn air, ears twitching as I hear him shift around in his seat.




“What is it you do out here? Away from the rest of us? Just live like a normal pony?” He inquires with an almost meek tone, voice quiet and sober.




“I live Forest, I grow and make mistakes. Some of your friends could stand to do the same you know.” I open my eyes and stare levelly. “And they are hard to work around. Though it could be chalked up to pony is as pony does I suppose.” I take a sip of the tea, blinking again as the wind turns, rustling through the drying autumn leaves again.




He shuffles awkwardly and sips his own tea with an appreciative hum. “Good tea.” He drains the cup quickly and stands up. “Thank you for your hospitality Wind, but I must be going now” He bolts off, leaving me blinking in confusion. I sigh and set my cup down, stoking the fire quietly. A small smirk tugs at my lips as I watch the flames dance in a breeze. An ember drifts upwards and I move to catch it with a hoof, wincing from the heat, watching in interest as it grows brighter for but a brief moment, soon afterwards dying infinitesimally quick.




“Life for so many is like that I find, just drifting along in the wind, until they get caught up on something and eventually die. Life is beautiful and strange, quick but long too.” I muse and scrape the remains off of my hoof. “The last bounty… Weskins whomever they might be. Odd name for a mare for sure.” I glance back at the fire contemplatively. “Maybe it’s time to take a break. Step away from these big contracts. Maybe just take a break in general, focus on the wind and nothing more.” I sigh and stir the fire, glancing at the sky. It’s dancing with clouds and stars, the day somehow having gone by in the blink of an eye. The open door to my warm shack beckons me and I go enter, kicking out the last few flames. I enter and glance left, at the faded picture of the mint green earthpony on my shelf.




“Goodnight Mint.” I wave at it with a weary wing and climb into my bed snuggling under the covers to sleep until a new time. Because the terrifying thing about Eternity is one day looking at the love of your life and seeing an old mare, wiser and kinder than you. The cruel thing is having to bury them, and one small, infinitesimally beautiful thing is to watch those you love blossom and grow though it may be melancholy and scary when you realise they grow whether or not you’re there to see it, they change, they live. To live and to change is more divine than any so called god and it is my goal despite everything. Despite, my sacred duty of tending the winds I too seek to change. And something’s telling me my next change is here. That my next change is going to be beautiful and sad at the same time.



A small tendril slides through the window and flips the lock, leaving the window to gently push open. A solemn deer stands outside, the one referred to as Forest lowers his great head to the ground and sighs in sadness, scooping a stone up and stroking it. It starts to writhe silently as he sets it on the sill.




“Goodbye Wind… It was nice to speak again, though I wish the end result was different...” He whispers quietly as a tear drops to the ground, sparkling with a vague inner light as firebugs shine off its surface before it splashes into the ground, soaking in deep, though if you were to check that spot in 20 years, there would be a beautiful flower, sturdy and marking the spot one god betrayed another. Forest slips off quietly, leaving the stone orb to do it’s business, much more lethal than the last one, much more damaging. Later that night the wind grew to howling fierceness, ripping trees up whole from the ground, whirling in odd patterns for a couple odd twenty minutes that would be remembered by all before the wind stopped, though thankfully not for eternity.

Comments ( 2 )

To live and to change is more divine than any so called god and it is my goal despite everything. .

I really like this line. Feels profound and rather distinctive for the character.

Overall, I'm glad you came back to this. While I admit a little confusion on what's happening, I found the text joyful to read and pleasantly flowing, and the emotion here is rather clear and bears impact, too.

8563958
What are you confused about dear friend? I wanted to tell how a story continues even after you're gone. Aegis will visit sometime in the week and discover that his friend, who he thought immortal has passed away. Forest will continue to do the will of the council and try to turn the other Eternals back to aloofness, and if he can't he is ordered to end them so new gods can take their place. There's threads of story that will never be followed but they'll still happen.

Login or register to comment