• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 425 Views, 24 Comments

The Adventures of Us. - Wind of the Skies



The world ponies live in is a bit different than we were told. Join a minor deity as they explore the world and toss nets.

  • ...
3
 24
 425

Chapter 9

When I’m woken up by a hoof nudging me I yawn and stretch my wings. “Why were you sleeping at the foot of my bed?” Spitfire by the sounds of it. I squint at the pony and nod. It is Spitfire.

“Because it was the bed Fleetfoot set me on.” I flap my wings to get in the air and set down on my now standing legs. “I don’t know. I guess I was really tired.” I yawn at her again.

“There were open beds. And barring that there are a few ‘Bolts who wouldn’t have minded sharing a bed.” At this point we’re walking into the locker room and she pushes me into the showers. Taking the hint I start washing up again. Because somehow I’m filthy. Probably my saddlebags. Darn things have been to Tartarus and back. With that done I trot into the mess where Spitfire and Fleetfoot are waiting for me. “Put this on.” She tosses a flightsuit to me and I shrug before slipping it on.

“I do have a job or two that need to be done sooner or later.” I mention so I can get an idea of how long I’ll be here helping them.

“The show’s tomorrow. R&R today. Don’t want to sprain something.” Fleetfoot replies from my other side as we walk towards the breakfast line. “Get some food Wind. Enough for an actual pony.” I snort and poke lightly with a wing.

“I eat enough.” Now it’s her turn to snort and poke me.

“I can pick you up and throw you. You’re really light.” She gives me a level stare as Spitfire curiously picks me up.

I’m tossed lightly from her to Fleetfoot. “She’s right. How are you okay?” Fleetfoot tosses me back and I flare my wings to catch a gust which pushes me upwards out of their reach.

“If I eat will you two stop making a big deal out of it?” I bargain while hovering above them. A blue stallion snags my tail and pulls me to the ground.

“It’s break day. Keep flying to a minimum. It is also best to eat during this time. Because tomorrow is gong to be some of the toughest flying you will have likely seen.” With his piece said he wanders off towards the food line.

“I’ll eat. Just please stop with the tossing. It’s not fun.” I twitch my ears and trot off to get some food. Fleetfoot follows to make sure I eat enough. Bleh. I eat enough. I’m just kind of light.

I get some food. Quite a lot for me and I'm pulled back into the line by a firm hoof. “Eat some food. More than that.” I nod and go back to loading up the plate. Then I swiftly trot off to a vacant table in the corner. There I spy with my not so little eye a bottle of Rainbow Sauce.

“Sweet. Well, not sweet. Very spicy. Awesome would be a better word anyhoof.” With my unnecessary dialogue spoken I proceed to douse everything in its multicoloured glory. It starts smoking. “Well then.” I start shoveling food into my mouth. Delicious, yet exceedingly painful. Mmmm.

“That is a sight I have not seen in quite some time. Doesn’t that burn?” Fleetfoot has finally found me it seems. Distracted I nod and go back to eating the heaping mound of food that was forced upon me. One side catches flame and I quickly shove it into my mouth to extinguish it.

“Gotta eat quick or it’ll all go up in flames. A pony after my own heart.” Spitfire this time. She pulls out a chair and sits down next to me. “Not many ponies can do the Rainbow Challenge. Good to see I'm not the only one.” She grabs the half empty bottle and pours the rest on her food. We share a hoof bump before I go back to the painful food. Fleetfoot is staring at the two of us like we’re crazy. I shrug and drink some water. The moment my lips touch the glass a rainbow sheen spreads across the water.

“Think I overdid it with the sauce?” I yawn sarcastically before taking another sip. The water gets a bit more colourful. I finish the food and keep sipping at the water. Spitfire laughs and points at the water.

“Not many ponies can do that. Liquid rainbow is particular.” The water is now entirely rainbow hued. “The ponies it likes can take a dropper and turn a whole tank into more of it.” She smirks and mutters something under her breath. I look from the glass to the end of my snout and back again. I check my reflection in a shiny napkin dispenser. Looks clear. I open my mouth and let my tongue loll out. It’s all rainbowed up right now. I blow a raspberry at Fleetfoot and grin at Spitfire.

“I forgot I did that actually. A drink of milk will get rid of it?” I examine my tongue in the chromed side of the napkin dispenser and poke it with a hoof. Which spreads the rainbow to my hoof as well. Trying to wipe it off smears it further making it look for all the world I had painted my hoof.

“Milk will get rid of it. The factory would love having you.” Spitfire returns from her unnoticed trip with a glass of milk for me.

“I already have a job. And I don't really trust the youngers to not mess up or get messed up.” I drink the milk and swish a bit around my mouth. Soon enough my tongue is clear and I dip a napkin into the glass before scrubbing at my hoof with it. It takes a bit longer but soon my hoof is rainbow free.

“What’s your job? A fisher maybe?” Fleetfoot looks curious.

“I am a senior hunter for the Board of Non-Pony Affairs. We actually do uh, track ponies when they commit a crime though. Or when we’re under contract. I mainly try to stick with catch and release. It’s a got a weird name.” I down the rest of the milk and fidget with my wings. I glance at them to gauge their reactions.

Spitfire looks bored and Fleetfoot looks a bit less bored. “So what’s with the net?” Fleetfoot asks.

“It’s my uhh, my way of transporting prisoners.” It is useful. Just kind of outdated. I wipe my mouth and my wings twitch. I turn around and somepony has tripped with a tray. I'm at their side in a heartbeat steadying them and taking the tray smoothly away. “Careful where you walk. You alright?” They nod and grab their tray back. I shrug and sit back down.


“That was impressively quick. Though I guess if you’re a bounty hunter you’d have to be. Looks like we’re done with breakfast though. What do you say we take this someplace else?” She stands up and saunters over to me.

“Sounds like a good idea Spitfire. Fun too.” Fleetfoot this time. She looks entirely too pleased by this.

“Sure I guess. I don’t really know what’s fun to do around here though” I speak cautiously though ultimately curious about their plans.

“I’m sure we could find something real fun to do. Let’s go.” She turns around a bit too quickly and her tail smacks into my face. Fleetfoot laughs and trots after happily. I rub my muzzle and get up from the chair before following after.

We travel through several twisting corridors and I almost lose them twice. Only the sounds of their laughter let me catch up to them. It looks like Spitfire went on ahead of us.

I trot next to her and nudge her with a wing. “Why is it I'm always chasing after you?” She shrugs and grins at me. My wing fidgets. Or rather behind me. Suddenly I’m tackled by a very fast orange blur. “Oof.” When my vision stops spinning Spitfire is atop me with a smug grin.

“Gotcha.” She boops the end of my muzzle and I suppress a sneeze. “You are something else.”

“Not really. I’m just me.” Fleetfoot launches herself at Spitfire and suddenly I’m free. I smile at them both and rustle my wings. “I think I win.” They both get up and laugh some more.

“My room’s right up ahead. Should be some fun things to do there.” I blink wide eyed at that statement.

My ears twitch and I stammer. “W-what?” I back slowly away and bump into Spitfire.

“What do you mean what? There’s fun things to do in her room.” Her wing settles on my shoulders and I’m guided into the room.

“Oh wow...”