• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 424 Views, 24 Comments

The Adventures of Us. - Wind of the Skies



The world ponies live in is a bit different than we were told. Join a minor deity as they explore the world and toss nets.

  • ...
3
 24
 424

Chapter 3

I wake up in front of my shed with a note taped to my flank. Just once I'd like to wake up where I went to sleep, is that too much to ask? I read the note: Blah blah blah, magical parasite removed, preened your feathers and- Wait what!??! Preened my feathers?! What the heck Princess? Never mind. So I almost died forever. Now that’s a scary thought. Death. Ugh. I shiver at the thought and walk back into my shed. If not for Philomena’s intervention I would have been dead permanently.

“Hey Wind, figured you’d forget about the coffee.” The guard Aegis Moon is sitting on my couch reading through one of my little projects. I swear to my lower feather if he read any of my journals I’ll … do something.

“You haven't read my journals have you? " I ask curiously hoping he didn't

“N-no! Why do you have a note taped to your flank? And why does your mane look so fabulous?” My mane? What happened to my mane? I refer to the note still attached to my wonderful posterior: P.S. I did your mane Windy -Celestia. I blink. Quickly marching over to my chest I fossick about until I find an old helmet. I quickly polish it back to mirror sheen and look in. the first thing I notice is a streak of pink running through it. The second thing I notice is how curled it is. Kinda like Princess Platinum’s mane. Now that pony had an atrocious sense of style. I don’t care how regal purple is. That shade was garish. Ick.

Aegis shakes his head. “Where did you get that helmet? It’s an antique! Worth hundreds of bits at the least!” I shrug and toss it back into the chest before closing it.

“So?” I ask nonchalantly. “My artifacts are more than just that to me. I am living, breathing, history. Didn’t you offer coffee?” I grin at so successfully avoiding the question.

"I-I did. Is now a good time? I've heard of a great place in Hoofington." He stutters briefly before grinning at me clearly thinking he was suave. It was passable I guess.

"Hoofington? Sure? Why not? Within walking distance of here. Plenty of work too." I shrug and grin back roguishly. I walk over to my hammock and coil my net around my foreleg. " Well? Let's go Aegis. "

He nods and gathers up a newspaper he was reading and tucks it back into his saddlebags. "What kinda coffee do you like anyhow Windy? Or are you more a tea pony?" I shrug and look behind me staring at him. "What?"

"C'mon Aegis. Let's get trotting. I'm in a good mood today! " I laugh and start trotting briskly. After a moment I hear the guard gallop after me. " Say Aegis, Isn't your name a bit odd for a guard? Or were your parents just old fashioned?" I ask trying to make small talk.

"What? Why would my name be odd for a guard?" He pipes up from behind sounding confused. " Are you talking about the moon part? In that case yeah, I suppose it's a bit odd but my parents took some of those old legends seriously. They wanted me to be safe after Nightmare Moon is released. Of course since I'm a guard it's kind of moot but still." He stomps once before trotting up next to me.

We walk in silence for a fair bit before he looks back at the note still taped to my flank. " Uh Windy? Why do you keep that on you? And why hasn't it fallen off yet?"

"Tradition Aegis. Tradition. Plus she might still be watching." I reply easily smirking at the clueless pony still walking through the chill autumn air. Plus I kinda like it. Soon though we arrive at our destination. Stable Tables. " This it? I've actually heard good things about this place. Kinda been wanting to check it out." This time my smile is a bit more genuine.

" Stuff has been hectic lately at the castle. Word has it that the princess disappeared for a day or two." He replies easily walking in and up to the counter. "What do you want? Coffee? Tea?"

"Anything really. I haven't really drank much other than water for awhile now. I'll get us a table." I glance at a random pony and walk towards a table and plop down. Humming idly I swish my tail batting at the table. A few ponies glance at me for my foalish behaviour and I wave back at them. One pony in particular keeps glancing at me. I wave them over.

"Aren't you a captain of the guard? Or in some way tied into them?" The pony, an odd shade of magenta in their eye asks curiously. " I'm sorry but you have the most captivating attitude of any official I've seen."

I smile and reply with a bit too much enthusiasm. "Nah! I work for the Board. Sort of. So what brings you here? I'm detecting a bit of a Germane accent. Getting along with the locals nicely?" I tilt my head and continue smiling. They look a bit unnerved at this but quickly shake it off.

"How'd you hear it? I was certain I had gotten rid of the accent. Anyhoof the locals are fine here. Some are a bit too cuddly for my liking but what can ya do right?" They laughed and shrugged clearly bemused.

I shrugged and patted them with a wing and speak. "Cuddles are nice I suppose. But I know what you mean. These Equestrian ponies are a bit too cuddly. Took a few years to adapt myself to it." I wait for the ball to drop.

"You're not native? Wow I never would have known have known. Where are you from? Great Bridle?" They stare inquisitively at me. I stare back before replying.

"Roam. You wouldn't believe the stories I could tell you." I look up and see Aegis sit back down with some cups on a tray. "Heya Aegis. " With barely a grunt he pushes a steaming cup towards me. Staring with eager eyes he awaits my sip.

-Sip-