• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 3,897 Views, 514 Comments

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse: The Equestrian Adventure - wingdingaling



All Mickey had ever known was his own home. And for years, peace and prosperity had reigned. However, unknown to him, there is another magical kingdom in need of a hero.

  • ...
14
 514
 3,897

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56: Found Out

Chapter 56

Found Out

A light drizzle of snowflakes drifted from the sky, landing sparsely on the ground, or whatever branch they could find.

One flake landed on the very tip of Twilight’s ear. And with a simple flick, it went drifting to the ground.

For a very long time Twilight had said nothing. Partly it was because she feared revealing her identity to the creature who accompanied her. Partly, it was because she felt if she said anything more, she would be struck with another bout of guilt, doubts and despair.

Ahead of her, her companion stopped walking again. For what felt like the thousandth time, the larger creature slowed to a halt and looked around herself. She looked up. She looked down. She looked side to side. But, as it always had been since they met, the creature sighed and shook her head.

“This will never do,” she said, before turning slowly to Twilight. “I’m afraid that at this rate we may never find who I’m looking for.”

There was no fighting it. Being so close to her enemy, Twilight had to know how truly close she was to facing her.

“Um...Do you...Do you know who it is you’re looking for exactly?” the young alicorn asked, trying not to sound too eager or frightened.

The momentary silence was fatal to Twilight, who bit the inside of her mouth in anticipation of the answer. Seeing herself reflected in the many eyes of the creature who accompanied her, she tried composing herself to look more curious than anxious.

“No,” the creature answered. “All I was told was that I’d soon find her when I went looking for her. And how to identify her.”

“That she’d be with her friends…” Twilight said.

“Where are yours?” the creature asked.

“Huh?”

“Your friends? It seems very strange to me that you would be all alone on the side of a mountain when I found you. Did they leave you behind?”

“No--I...I don’t want to talk about it.”

“I see,” the creature said. “There are times when I don’t wish to think about my friends. But, we always make up in the end.”

“I don’t want to make up with her!” Twilight snapped.

Hearing her own words, Twilight felt her nerves bristle slightly under her skin. She felt it mingle with a slight pang of fear when the creature curiously looked her over.

“Your friend. Do you hate her?” the creature asked.

It was a notion that had never crossed Twilight’s mind. The reason that she had left Rarity at all was that she was so ashamed of herself for not being able to offer anything useful to their shared quest, and would only slow any progress to be made down. At least, that was the reason she had conceived for herself.

If she really thought about it, Twilight was more ashamed by Rarity’s quick mastery of a subject she herself had spent years perfecting. A subject that Rarity has pushed to the back of her mind in favor of making pretty dresses.

Except, Twilight knew that Rarity’s dresses were only pretty because of the excess of glitter and diamonds. It was the only reason that anypony liked them at all. If it wasn’t for the screen of glamor that she put on her work, everypony would realize that Rarity’s artistry was only average at best.

Worst of all, it was Rarity who was better able to relate to ponies and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger, as if they were already friends. And only by throwing a few flattering compliments. It was this trait that she had used to steal Nopony from her before she could even try to get close to him.

A terrible feeling flooded Twilight’s mind. Something that twisted her image of Rarity to a far cry of the friend she once was.

Try as she did to fight it, her rage couldn’t hold back her tears as her throat clenched.

“Yes...I hate her!” Twilight managed to choke out. “Everything she does comes so easy to her! She doesn’t even have to try to do what I’ve worked my whole life on! All she’s ever been is a pompous, prissy hack who’s appealed to everypony’s shallowest instincts! She just puts a diamond on a dress and tells whoever’s wearing it that they look like a princess, and everypony loves her because of it! She’s never done anything worthwhile! Never made a real contribution to friendship or to magic! She’s--She’s…”

Gradually, Twilight stopped talking. She felt her tears streaming down her face, hot like fire and at once chilled by the wind. Her clouds of breath came in jittering spurts from her shuddering chest. And for a moment, the lingering doubt if she had meant a word she had said entered Twilight’s mind.

“If we were to find your friend, would you like for me to kill her?” asked the creature.

With a gasp, fear snapped back into Twilight’s mind when she remembered what her companion was assigned to do.

“What!!?--I--No…” she stammered.

“No?” the creature repeated. “But, she sounds so terrible. Why would you want to keep her when she has grieved you so?”

“Because, I…” Twilight paused, thinking of a reason why. If anything, it came down to one simple thing. “Because, we’ve already been through so much together. I can’t let anything bad happen to her, no matter how much I-- How much I don’t like her.”

“Perhaps that will be the key to letting her back into your life one day. I was taught that sometimes a friendship is not worth keeping. But, from the sound of you, I would say that you have a good chance of reconciling with your friend,” the creature answered.

Somewhere within Twilight, she had hoped for such a thing. But, as things were then, she still didn’t wish to talk to Rarity at all.

What was more was that what the creature said was almost like something she would have learned from Princess Celestia. If only on one of her bad days.

“Thanks,” Twilight said, at a loss for much else to say. But, the thoughts of friendship lessons sparked another question for her. “Um, where did you learn about friendship?”

“From my dear friend, Yen Sid.”

For the first time since she had heard that name, Twilight felt a shiver of fear. She had known so far that Yen Sid was powerful, cruel and tyrannical. But, she never thought him capable of friendship.

“Are you alright? You seem surprised,” the creature said.

Twilight realized then how her face must have looked, and didn’t even glance back to her companion’s eyes to try and recompose herself.

“No! I’m just, er...confused. Who is Yen Sid, actually?” she asked, genuinely curious this time.

“Ah, Yen Sid,” the creature said, her eyes widening with admiration. “He is by and large the most magically gifted being I have ever known.”

As if some arbitrary direction had been decided upon, they started walking deeper into the forest.

“Alicorns are really powerful too. In fact, I got my cutie mark for my magical talent,” Twilight said, wanting to rebut, but suddenly realizing that she may have said too much.

“Alicorns may be able to move the sun and moon, yes. But for Yen Sid, the universe is a mere plaything. A tool to be used to make a more harmonious world. In fact, what took your greatest mage his entire life to discover, and left for future generations to unravel was discovered in a matter of years by him. He, who once he is able to reach his full potential, will be able to remake this world in a way he sees fit.”

What the creature had said conjured many questions for Twilight. But, to start, she asked what seemed the most prudent.

“What do you mean by ‘reach his full potential?’ Does that mean he can get stronger than he is now?” Twilight asked, swiping a low-hanging branch out of her way.

“In a sense, I suppose. To be more precise, he has not yet entered this world completely.”

“You mean he’s not here yet?” Twilight said, pushing more low branches aside.

“He is. He exists in many worlds at once. But, to completely enter one, he must first spread his own magic into it.”

“And...It’s your job to help spread magic like his...?” Twilight asked, dreading how.

The branches came thicker, and Twilight began to lose sight of her companion.

“Of course it is. I have my job to do, and my friends all have theirs. In our own way, we each contribute something to Yen Sid’s cause of spreading his magic,” the creature answered, as she rapidly disappeared.

“How powerful can he be if he needs to steal magic?” Twilight said, recalling a few enemies she encountered who had tried the same.

“Very, very powerful. Have you noticed how the sun and moon are still operating perfectly? Even though the alicorns moving them have been dealt with?” the creature asked.

Twilight froze.

“D-Dealt with?” she said, every nerve in her body suddenly shaking.

“Yes. Those two were surprisingly easy to do away with. I suppose being a ruling goddess for thousands of years makes one soft. After all, I’ve heard how they’ve already been deposed many times before, only to be saved by their own subjects.”

“B...But, why did they have to be-- There must have been another way--” Twilight said, feeling her mouth dry out, stopping her own tongue.

She hurried after the creature, catching only glimpses of her through the thick brush.

“I’m afraid not. You see, the Equestrian princesses were nothing more than an inconvenience that only existed to be overtaken by evil, whenever it reared its head. In order to create a more harmonious balance of a world, they had to be eliminated,” said the voice of the creature from somewhere ahead.

Twilight wanted to argue, but couldn’t find any words. The creature ahead had disappeared, and she ran more quickly to catch up.

What Souris had told her when they were alone on the rooftop came back to her. Twilight recalled how the lady-bat had said that whenever the kingdom was in trouble, Equestrian royalty was helpless to stop it. Why did two of the most powerful beings in the world need to rely on the limited power of six simple mares?

The brush seemed to be pushing back against her, trying to stop her from catching up to her companion. Until finally she lost sight of the creature, and ran blindly forward. And through the thick foliage, she began to see what she knew wasn’t there.

She saw more of the pure white with the diamond-adorned flank as before. And around it swirled a flurry of snow, before it flew away as a white bird.

It was taunting her. The creature of pure white with the diamond markings was showing how quickly it had mastered such power to control whatever it wished, however it wished. And suddenly, it was everywhere.

Wherever Twilight looked, there was the diamond-marked creature, showing its talent. Mocking her.

Shadows fell. And Twilight didn’t feel she could push past them. Then, through the darkness, she saw something. A pair of warm, red eyes shone through the shadows. And even though Twilight couldn’t see what they belonged to, she knew whatever it was was beckoning her forward.

Rather than stay in the shadows, the young alicorn ran forth, pushing past the foliage that threatened to smother her.

She was growing closer to the eyes. And with a burst, she emerged from the dense brush into a grove of trees. But, the trees were unlike any she had ever seen.

Each one had all of its branches, but the trunks were masterfully carved into the shapes of many animals. The shapes were all stacked atop one another. A rabbit atop a bear. A fox atop a whale. Sometimes, she saw a moose or what looked like some sort of large ape among them. And other times, there was some sort of skeletal creature among them. And almost all of them had a bird at the very top.

“Oh no...I haven’t lost you too, have I?” came the voice of Twilight’s companion from somewhere.

“Hello? Where are you?” Twilight called out.

“I’m here,” said the disembodied voice.

“Where?”

“Find me.”

A strong feeling of unease and apprehension consumed Twilight. Somehow, she knew she had been figured out. She knew that the creature discovered her identity.

If she could escape, she would be safe. But, if only she knew her pursuer’s whereabouts.

She would have to play the game and find the creature. And so, Twilight walked further into the totem forest.


The blizzard continued to blow, feeling more intense now than ever.

A small, glimmering squirrel moved from branch to branch, drifting more than it was actually jumping.

Every so often, it turned around to see if its companions were following. And whenever it did, it saw the three figures following it.

Mickey and Rarity walked beneath the widespread antlers of their moose companion, trying in vain to escape the heavy snowfall.

For as large as he was, the moose had no problem navigating through the thick trees. With only subtle movements of his head and neck, he was able to easily walk past any of the trunks that surrounded him.

Rarity found herself constantly looking up, warily watching the many icicles that hung from the branches above. For the way they shook in the wind, she felt as if at any moment they could come tumbling down and pierce through them all.

Only, it was not the wind that did so.

The moose’s antlers brushed against the trunk of one tree as he was walking by.

The slight tremor ran upward through the trunk and into the lowest branches, which shook slightly harder. Just enough to loosen their anchorage on the tree.

The glimmering squirrel ahead flashed slightly brighter, and the moose looked up.

Rarity yelped and dove for cover beneath her large guide.

Seeing the danger, Mickey followed suit.

The moose lowered his head, just as a shower of sharpened ice fell upon them.

From beneath their shelter, Mickey and Rarity huddled as close as they could to one another, hoping that somehow their larger companion was not injured too badly.

Beyond the safety beneath the moose, a particularly large icicle fell flat to the ground, as if it had rolled off of the moose’s back.

The downpour of ice stopped, and the only sound was of the blowing.

“Ukkichtuk-sak-pich?” asked the moose.

Rarity turned her head, and almost gasped when she saw the moose’s face peering through his own front legs to see his smaller companions.

Seeing he was safe, Mickey and Rarity cautiously crawled out from beneath the moose, who shook the remaining shards of ice from his body.

As it turned out, his parka was thicker than they had once believed. Or his hide was simply so tough. Whichever it was, the moose seemed perfectly unharmed.

The glimmering squirrel drifted back to them, and landed next to Mickey.

“Er… Th-Thank you f-f-for sheltering us,” Rarity chattered, slightly shaken from the incident.

“Yeah. D-D-Don’t know what we would o’ d-d-done if you weren’t here to block all that,” Mickey added. He turned to the squirrel. “And thanks for the warnin’, little fella.”

“Yaruk,” the moose answered.

Even though Mickey didn’t understand a word the moose had said, he thought for certain it was something along the lines of ‘you’re welcome.’

The moose huffed and glanced up at the remaining, tiny icicles above.

“Sa’savak-tiga-ukaktiitaga a’ahkiyyini sila-pallik,” he said, before guiding Mickey and Rarity from beneath the tree. “Kaunaksriruk-kak. Ukua kusrulugak navianaktuk-piangit Ati-kannuk. Aglaan avinnak a’tuttukpak mikiruk ilivaik, tukuktaa.”

The squirrel continued to guide them through the forest, keeping them on track to who knew where. All the while, Mickey and Rarity continued glancing upward at the hanging icicles.

No such peril found them again. And the trek was uneventful as they reached a welcoming sight.

“A town!” Mickey cried, glad to be anywhere that resembled civilization.

It was indeed a small town of large, wooden buildings. Each building rose several feet off of the ground on a foundation of many thick logs.

Rarity noted how much larger they were than the homes she knew back in Ponyville. Then again, there in the northern lands, they had to be built to accommodate the much larger mooses and whatever other creatures inhabited them.

In the middle of the town was a grand tree, carved with many markings, grooves and images of many creatures. Some were recognized as animals. Others looked like weather and magical phenomena. Others still were likely the creatures that inhabited the kingdom.

But, for the sheer amount of creatures seen on the tree’s giant trunk, the town itself was surprisingly empty.

“G-Gosh. Where do ya th-think everyone’s g-g-gone?” Mickey asked, as they walked through the town.

“P-P-Perhaps they’ve all t-taken shelter f-from the storm,” Rarity answered.

“Then how c-c-come there aren’t any l-lights on?”

The mouse was right. Rarity looked around and saw that there was not one single light to be seen inside any of the buildings. Perhaps they were all asleep at the moment. Or, perhaps they had gone out. All at once.

As Rarity looked about, she saw ahead one house that had a light on the inside. A familiar flickering, orange light that warmed her as if she were right there next to it. And to her delight, the glimmering squirrel was scampering toward it.

The squirrel climbed up the railguard of a small flight of stairs and stopped before a very tall, very wide doorway.

Mickey and Rarity both went running for the porch, ready to warm themselves in front of the fire.

Upon reaching the first step, they found that it was much larger than it looked from a distance. Rarity had to raise her knees nearly up to her chin. And the shorter Mickey practically had to climb up.

Partway up, a patch of snow had settled, turning the steps into slick frost. And with a violent wobble, Rarity fell flat on her face, and Mickey went tumbling back to the bottom step.

The mouse was not about to be deterred from warmth. Taking two of the pickets from the railguard, Mickey placed them on the soles of each of his shoes and lashed them there with his shoelaces.

Placing his palms on the ground, he pushed up and was standing atop two improvised stilts.

Now he was ready to climb.

Putting his first foot on the step, he easily cleared it with his superior height. And carefully keeping his balance, he was able to climb upward.

Rarity watched as the stilted Mickey reached the step she was holding onto, and tried to skip it toward the next one.

Careful as he was, Mickey was not able to keep his balance and slipped when he nearly skipped the step, ending up doing a painful split.

From the top of the rail, the glimmering squirrel laughed a hearty, chattering laugh.

“Put a--s-sock in it--B-Bucky!” Mickey strained.

The squirrel did as it was told, and put its own tail in its mouth. Even then, it continued to laugh at the others’ misfortune.

“S-Such a rude little animal! H-How I wish Fluttershy was here! She’d s-s-sort you out,” Rarity said, trying to crawl up the steps.

The sound of heavy hooves clattered on the wood behind them.

“Apaiksuk. Uvagut uunaktut-kaluak ukpigu-gupta nayuutiruk,” the moose said, as he easily ascended the stairs.

Neither Rarity nor Mickey was ready when the moose reached his head down and scooped them both up to ride on his antlers.

The glimmering squirrel jumped from the railing to the antler that Rarity rode on.

Rarity watched as it looked her over, wondering what it could possibly be thinking.

After only a few moments, it scampered over to Mickey.

“H-How ‘bout lendin’ a paw next time, instead of just s-s-sittin’ pretty?” Mickey chattered.

The squirrel squeaked something, just as a heavy cloth door passed over them all. And in an instant, the welcoming sensation of warmth washed over them all.

The inside of the house was only sparsely decorated with only a few pieces of (rather large) furniture placed about. But, the greatest thing in the entire room was the crackling fire in a pit in the middle of the room.

With a delighted yelp, Rarity was the first off of the moose’s antlers and rushed to the fireside, quickly followed by Mickey.

The two of them practically danced circles around the flames, warming themselves on every side.

Around the fire were what looked like blankets, spread out across the floor as if to welcome the newcomers to their warm touch.

Mickey flopped onto his face, bunching up the blankets, which had been heated by the fire. He bundled the blanket up into his face, taking in every ounce of warmth it had to offer. And with a delighted sigh, he rolled himself up into it, like a caterpillar into a cocoon.

Just as he was getting comfortable, Mickey felt himself unrolled from the blanket. When he stood up, he saw the moose replacing the blanket back onto the floor.

“Pisangichikpin. Uvuna’nayak nakuaruk ilvich tugvaaga-tyak upkuak. A’upuat allaappu kattak,” the moose said, as he smoothed out what turned out to be a rug that Mickey had taken.

The moment after he was done replacing his rug, the moose revealed something else that he was carrying.

“Winter clothes!” Rarity said, with wide-eyed glee. Partly from acquiring warm clothing. Partly from being able to see the styles of clothing from yet another land. “Thank you! Thank you so much, dear moose! May we have them now?”

“Tigugaa. Ilavinik parkaviak,” the moose said, grinning at Rarity’s eagerness.

And with a thump, Rarity found herself buried beneath a gigantic parka.

Mickey could not help but giggle at the sight of only the fashionista’s ankles sticking out from one side of the giant coat.

“And what’s so funny?” Rarity asked, poking her head out from one end.

“Heh. Nothin’. What can I say but ‘it’s you?’” Mickey chuckled.

“A-kak ilavinik-tak ilvich-tuuk?” the moose said, as he dropped another parka on top of Mickey, who collapsed under its weight.

It was Rarity’s turn to giggle, as Mickey tried to escape the cavernous insides of the parka.

“Gosh. I wish Copper’s old man didn’t take back that mining gear. I’d just dig my way out,” Mickey’s voice echoed from within.

Seconds later, he reappeared from the open top of the parka, with the glimmering squirrel sitting on top of his head.

“Made it!” he said.

The squirrel bent over and looked Mickey straight in the eye.

“Augh!” Mickey yelped and fell over backwards.

The squirrel jumped from Mickey’s head to the antlers of the moose, who laughed heartily at the antics of his sparkling friend.

“Suulikpa-liuk-aimagvik. Ittuk karsruktuk-vigi-annik,” he said. “A’atta-kak-savatuk itkanaiksuk, kakma-niak.”

“Er...yes. Thank you for letting us be here,” Rarity said, not at all sure of what was just said to her.

“Yeah. And thanks for the spare coats,” Mickey added, indicating the giant garments, which were crumpled up onto the floor. “I guess ya had some to go around, since we seem to be the only folks here.”

Mickey had only meant it as a joke, but it seemed that somehow his words reached the moose, who responded with a low sigh.

“Where exactly is everypony else?” Rarity asked, now curious to the whereabouts of the other townsmooses.

As if to respond, the glimmering squirrel hopped from the moose’s antlers, to the table, to the floor, where it landed before the two guests.

Mickey wondered what stunt the smarmy rodent was going to try and pull this time, when the moose slowly turned to leave.

“A’lik-tak,” was all he said, as he walked toward the door.

The squirrel turned to see its larger companion walking away, then turned back to face the guests.

Something in the way the squirrel was looking at them suggested something to Mickey and Rarity. As if it wished it had words to let them know what had happened to the town.

“A’lik-tak,” the moose repeated.

And the squirrel scampered after, and jumped to the top of a wooden carving that was set beside the moose.

“I guess we’ll just stay here, then,” Mickey said. It occurred to him then that as a guest in the moose’s house, he ought to at least let him know who was staying there. “I’m Mickey, by the way. Mickey Mouse,” he said, pointing to himself.

“And I’m Rarity,” Rarity added, pointing to herself.

The moose smirked, and pointed to himself.

“Nagruk-pak.”

And that was all he said, before disappearing out the door with his squirrel companion.

A blast of cold air shot in and was immediately snuffed out by the heavy cloth snapping back over the doorway.

All was still and quiet in the house all of a sudden. The only sound was the crackling fire in the middle of the room.

Mickey laid back and saw the smoke rise slowly to the ceiling, where it drifted out of a small vent. The vent itself swirled with more of the same glimmer that they had seen from the squirrel, and mingled gently with the smoke.

For moments after, Mickey watched the mesmerizing display, until he felt his eyelids grow heavy. And gently leaning back, he drifted to sleep on the warm rug.

Rarity watched Mickey momentarily, and then looked to the two parkas that had been left for them. At the other end of the room, there was a table with small cutting tools on it, along with thick cords.

Though she had no idea how to use the unusual tools, it was obvious that the parkas were too big for either of them to effectively wear.

So, taking the large garments, Rarity walked over to the table and started examining the instruments she was to use.

To start, she looked for something that resembled scissors. Only, there was no such thing on the table. Instead, what she found was a single curved blade with a handle that ran parallel to it.

Doubting a moose like Nagruk-pak used magic to wield such a thing, Rarity took the tool in her hooves and gave the very tip of one parka’s hem an exploratory slice.

The tool cut right through it as cleanly as freshly sharpened shears.

Seeing that it was as easy and effective to use as her own familiar toolset, Rarity set to work modifying the clothes for herself and Mickey.

With every cut, she envisioned new ideas for how to design them. She could see just how they were going to turn out even before she was finished. And once she was done, she was going to have yet another style and toolset mastered for her career as an artist. A notion that made a smile bloom across her face as she busily worked.


Twilight continued her way through the forest of totems, watching, listening for any sign of her pursuer.

No such thing was heard, as if the creature had suddenly muted any noise she was able to make by moving.

Wind blew and the trees rustled.

Whether or not the sounds of movement were actually heard, Twilight didn’t stay to wonder. She instead ran as fast as she could to escape what she thought was the source of it.

No matter where she went, she could hear the sound following her. Soon, she was going to join Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

There was a clearing ahead of her. And through the trees on the opposite side of the clearing, she saw a single long, spindly leg move.

Taking no chances to be seen, Twilight hid behind the nearest tree and waited, listening for where the leg’s owner was to move.

“Oh, dear. How can this be?” the voice of the creature lamented.

Though scared, Twilight thought she could hear genuine remorse and sorrow in the creature’s words, and cautiously peered around.

There was the creature, now in plain view.

Twilight could see her with her face in her hands, swaying miserably on the snowy ground.

“I’m so sorry…” the creature said.

As much as she wished to run away and leave her assassin far behind, Twilight felt herself drawn to the creature. As if by some compulsion that she couldn’t define, the young alicorn stepped into view and slowly walked forward.

Once she was in it, the clearing was much larger than she was led to believe. Many creatures could have congregated within, if they so wished. On one side, there was nothing but trees. On the other, a grand painted mural of the many creatures of the land working together. But, Twilight wasn’t focused on any of that.

She walked slowly, trying to make as little sound as possible. But, one of the many eyes of the creature glimpsed at her.

Both paused, saying nothing.

Twilight felt her spine shiver as she locked eyes with the creature. Her instincts told her to run. But, something else told her to stay.

“You know who I am? Don’t you? You know that I’m the alicorn that you had to…” she asked, trailing off.

“Yes,” the creature quietly answered. “Yes. I’m sorry for lying to you. But, I’ve known who you are since the moment we met.”

Twilight’s breath quickened with her heartbeat. She was once again fighting the urge to run away. But, that quiet nag in the back of her mind kept her rooted to the spot.

“If you knew, why didn’t you k...do your job then?” Twilight asked.

“Because, I saw that you were so much like myself,” the creature answered. “You were alone with none of your friends about you. I saw you, and knew that you of all creatures needed a friend as much as I did.”

The feeling of waning fear was palpable for Twilight. She could feel it replaced by a cautious curiosity. And with that curiosity came her desire to learn more of a creature in need.

“Why did you need a friend so badly?” she asked.

“Because, my own friends are dying off,” the creature answered. “Even my dear, close friend from Avalon is gone. I fear that soon I will be alone.”

The mention of Avalon sent a wave of guilt through Twilight. And from the inference she could make about the identity of the creature’s employer, Twilight thought she knew who the friend from Avalon may have been.

Slowly, she approached the creature, and stopped mere hooves in front of her.

“You don’t have to be alone. When I said that I’d never leave you? Well...we can still stay together. Can’t we?” Twilight asked.

The eyes of the creature widened momentarily, then slowly drooped. Twilight could tell a horrible dilemma was tearing her apart from the inside. Just the same as had been happening to herself.

Twilight held her breath, anticipating the answer.

“No…” the creature said. “You’ve been so wonderful to me, being there when I needed you the most. But, I’m afraid that I can’t compromise my friendship with Yen Sid. Nor the others who have passed on.”

“But--Bu--” Twilight could find no words. In that moment, she felt herself growing smaller as the eight-legged, fanged monstrosity rose up before her.

“I’m so very, very sorry,” the creature said, rearing up to her full height.

Twilight slowly backed away.

“Run away,” the creature said, baring her fangs.

Twilight’s pace remained.

“I said to run!!”

With blinding speed, the creature lashed forward, driving her fangs into the snow in front of Twilight.

Snapped from her stupor, Twilight turned tail and ran through the forest as quickly as her legs would carry her.

Once she reached the treeline of the clearing she looked over her shoulder.

The creature had gone. Disappeared completely.

Twilight was now on her own. Without magic. Without friends. Without a chance.

Author's Note:

Run, Twilight! Get as far from that unstable psycho as fast as you can!!
So, I think it goes without saying that Twilight’s in trouble. More so than she’s been thus far on the magical quest. She’s on the run without so much as an inkling of how to use the magic that Rarity has so quickly mastered, and has the villain who took out the Royal Sisters on her tail.
On the upside, she was able to push past another shadow that tried to stop her. Just like Souris had said.
Speaking of Souris, Twilight sure seems to be thinking about her a lot lately. Maybe there was some truth in what Souris had said about them being able to become friends. Man...If only Twilight had decided to side with evil, huh?
Parts of this chapter were inspired by pictures that my brother took on his trip to Canada. Among them the forest of totem poles. There wasn’t an actual forest where totems were carved right into the trees. What my brother actually photographed was a clearing that had several totem poles placed in the middle. I just took a creative liberty and amped it up to a whole forest where the trees themselves were carved into totems.
Another part was the giant painted mural. Another picture my brother showed me were the many paintings that were drawn by the northern native tribes. Some of them going back thousands of years. One in particular was what looked like a life-sized painting of a mammoth (maybe it wasn’t, but it was huge). So, once again I took a liberty and made the mural take up the whole cliff face.
There’s cool stuff up in Canada. I may take a trip up there myself one day. If I wasn’t already planning another trip, that is.
That remark made about the princesses being nothing more than an inconvenient plot device is something that I find to be at least half true. I do fully realize that they are a central part of the fantasy world’s lore. But, at the same time, I just don’t buy that some of the most powerful creatures in the world are repeatedly deposed and defeated time and time again. How powerful can they be, compared to the subjects who have served them for millenia?
Personally, I feel like if the princesses were made immaterial and abstract in nature, it would lend a little more believability to some of the major two-parters in the show. But, that’s just the opinion of a lowly bozo like myself.
One of the hardest things about this story arch so far is trying to convey the meaning of Nagruk-pak’s words. Like, you can’t just go on the internet and find a translator app that lets you interpret what he says. As such, I find myself having to work a little harder to try and let you all know what he is saying.
Even then, the language is pretty butchered, since there’s no grammar table for me to work with. So, even if one of you readers speaks Inupiat, you may not understand what he’s saying anyway. Like, Nagruk-pak’s name is supposed to mean ‘Big Horn.’ But, I’m not sure how grammatically correct it is.
Some of the things he says though are pretty easy to interpret. Like, Mickey wasn’t too far from correct in thinking ‘yaruk’ means ‘you’re welcome.’ It actually means ‘accepting of thanks.’ It’s said after somebody who speaks Inupiat says to you ‘kuyanak,’ which basically means thank you.
By the way, there are not 20 words in Inupiat for snow. There are about 51 that I counted in the book I checked out. For different kinds of snow, different snowy weather conditions, and for the animals that live in the snow.
Another word that was spoken in this chapter was ‘ahkiyyini.’ An ahkiyyini is a spirit that takes the form of a giant skeleton, who plays musical instruments that are made from bones. Usually their own bones. When they play various natural effects happen. Sometimes rain or snow. Sometimes sun. Sometimes grass grows. Sometimes calmly flowing rivers flow more rapidly. Et cetera and vice versa.
Anyway, it’s the ahkiyyini who are the skeletal creatures we keep seeing in all the imagery. Along with sasquatches being those apes. Perhaps when a moose or sasquatch passes on, they become an ahkiyyini?
That’s it for me here. You lovely readers enjoy your days. Rock on as always \m/

PreviousChapters Next