• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 3,896 Views, 514 Comments

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse: The Equestrian Adventure - wingdingaling



All Mickey had ever known was his own home. And for years, peace and prosperity had reigned. However, unknown to him, there is another magical kingdom in need of a hero.

  • ...
14
 514
 3,896

Chapters Next
Prologue: Through the Looking Glass

Prologue

Through the Looking Glass

A door opened, and a bell rang.

"Come on, fellers! This place is only open a few more minutes!" said Mickey Mouse.

The day had been long, and the sun was setting. For most of the day, Mickey and his friends had been searching for something. A gift to commemorate the day he and Minnie first met one another on that plane ride so long ago. Something that would show her how much she ever meant to him.

So far, nothing had inspired such a feeling, and the day wore on quicker than Mickey or his friends could have thought. Now, the shops were all closing, and the last stop of the day would have to be the antique shop they had just entered.

Quickly as they could, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto all split up to find the perfect gift.

"How the heck did we get talked into this, Goofy?" Donald asked, as he perused the shelves for something of interest.

"Well, I jus' did it 'cuz Mickey asked me to," Goofy answered.

"What do you mean 'because he asked?' What favors did Mickey do for you!?"

"Nuthin'. I jus' figgered that bein' his pal duzn't mean ya have tuh ask favors."

"Pfft! Sounds like a bunch of malarkey," Donald said, as he crossed his arms.

Pluto sniffed through the store for a gift. Following his nose, the hound passed by all manner of unusual scents that had never before encountered. Old and wooden, like something passed from an age long before.

One shelf had several funny-looking figurines with different, unusual faces. Pluto mimicked every one of their faces: a rabbit with droopy jowls, wearing a chef's hat; a pop-eyed fish with a puckered mouth, holding a fishing rod; a caterpillar with a wide grin, flying a kite; a wizened old owl, dressed as a priest. He then moved to the next shelf.

The next shelf had several oddly shaped vases, which contorted Pluto's reflection on each surface.

The hound turned his head from side to side and moved forward and backward, watching how each of the different dogs on the surface of the glass moved with him.

He bared his teeth at them, and watched them all bare their teeth back, giving the hound a good jump.

That was unacceptable. Pluto was not a dog to take threats lightly. He put on his fiercest face, and watched how all the different distorted dogs made the same face, now made fiercer and more frightening by their misshapen faces.

"BOOOOOOW!!"

With a yelp, Pluto ran away from the scary dogs, and bumped into a small table. The contents of the table all fell on top of Pluto: a feather duster on his head, a pair of coke bottle glasses over his eyes, a black, monogrammed cloth on his upper lip, and a set of wooden dentures in his mouth, all put together to make him look like a dead ringer for Groucho Marx.

In another part of the store, Mickey was looking at the various dolls and figurines that were on display. One of them had to look even remotely like the kind that Minnie collected. Except that none of them did.

But, if the arms on that doll were put on the body of that doll, and replaced with the head of another doll, and the ears of another doll were put here, and the clothes it wore were swapped with a few of the fabrics that were lying around.

Mickey looked around, making sure that the shop owner wasn’t looking. When he saw that he was in the clear, he busily started making his Frankenstein amalgamation of doll parts.

"Ha ha! Voila!" Mickey said triumphantly, as he crafted a new doll that looked just like Minnie. But, only if Minnie looked creepy and porcelain-y. "Nuts! So close!"

"Have you found anything to your liking, young fella," the elderly shop owner asked.

Quick as he could, Mickey hid the disfigured doll behind his back.

"Nothin' yet, sir," Mickey said.

He glanced to the side, and quickly swept the disembodied doll parts into the open drawer of the dresser they were on, closing it just as quickly.

"Oh. Well, maybe your friends over there have found something?" the shop owner asked.

"Maybe. Hey, Donald? Goofy? You fellers find anything yet?" Mickey called.

"Does Minnie like Polynesian tiki dolls?" Donald asked, holding up one of the wickedly smiling figurines.

"Nope. Nothin' like that. Keep lookin'."

"Hmph. I'm gonna be at this all day tomorrow too, I bet," Donald grumbled.

Something hanging on the wall caught his eye: a hannya mask with sharp teeth and red markings. One look to the side revealed Goofy's back, as the goof played with some antique toys.

A devious thought occurred to the duck. He took the mask off the wall, and crept up behind his friend.

"A-hyuck! Folks sure musta had a lotta fun back then," Goofy said, as he watched a gigantic top spin wildly around a clockwork band.

"Hey, Goofy."

Goofy turned, when he recognized his temperamental friend's voice.

"Uh, yeah, Donal-WO-OW!!!"

The goof jumped high when he saw the fanged, red visage before himself, and landed on the highest shelf among some puppets, getting tangled in their strings.

"Wak-ak-ak-ak-ak-ak! Feeling a little tied up, Goofy?" Donald guffawed.

He turned around to put the mask back, only to come face to face with a bug-eyed, wooden-toothed monstrosity that Pluto had made himself into.

"WAK!!"

Donald jumped up to the same shelf as Goofy, getting caught in the strings as well.

Down on the floor, Pluto shook off all of his adornments, and barked at the dangling duck.

"Oh, ya think you're hot stuff, do ya, pooch? Come up here and get what's comin' to ya!" Donald said, swinging his fists wildly, and getting more tangled up.

"A-yuh-huh-huh-huh-huck! He got ya good, pal," Goofy said, as he slowly untangled himself.

"Aw, put a sock in it,” Donald grumbled.

The shopkeeper assisted the two danglers by gently spinning them with a broom handle.

"Don't you young folk worry yourselves none. I'll get you down in a jiffy. Maybe half a jiffy," he said.

Half a jiffy it was, as when only a few strings were undone, Goofy and Donald swung down from the shelf, knocking over some more merchandise.

From where he was, Mickey dove over a display of lamps, slid across the floor, and caught the priceless antiques before they all broke.

More items fell, and Mickey had to throw what he held into the air to catch what else was falling.

The mouse ended up juggling what he tried to save with the merchandise he had thrown into the air. Mickey ran backwards, catching whatever there was that needed to be saved.

He stepped on the top that was still spinning from when Goofy was playing with it, and bumped into a mannequin that was wearing a tuxedo.

With an incredible tumble, Mickey somehow ended up wearing the mannequin's clothes, came to a stop against a tall piece of merchandise covered in a white sheet, and everything else landed harmlessly around him.

Pillows and cushions landed first, followed by all the dolls and figurines landing on them, all facing Mickey. A painting of a woman in a white dress landed next to him, and behind him fell the figurine of a bird dressed as a priest. For the final touch, a ring landed in Mickey's open palm, nearest to the painting of the woman.

"Gawrsh. She's a real keeper, ain't she, Mick?" Goofy said, as he removed the final bit of string from his foot.

Mickey looked around himself, and realized the impromptu wedding ceremony he had set up.

"Ha ha. Well, whaddaya know?" he said.

Mickey quickly took off the tuxedo so that he was back in his red shorts, and folded it neatly to hand to the shopkeeper.

"You looked mighty dapper in that tux, m'boy. Feel like buying it?" the old man asked.

"I could use a new outfit for a night on the town. But not just yet. I'm here lookin' for somethin' for my girlfriend," Mickey answered.

"Then you better do it quick, sonny. I'm about ready to close up shop here.”

"You got it, sir. I'm gonna find Minnie's gift, or die tryin'," Mickey declared, before his foot caught on the white sheet behind him, and sent him tumbling to the floor.

"You're off to a good start dyin’, Mouse," Donald said.

Mickey untangled himself from the sheet, and marveled at what he had uncovered.

"Saaaay. Would ya take a look at this little number," he said.

Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and the shopkeeper all gathered around the most gorgeous full-body mirror they had seen. Polished brass and wood, carved into the shapes of galloping equines bordered the silver glass. The image seemed so clear and inviting that it seemed as though they were looking into another room through the surface of the mirror.

"Well, well. Looks like something caught your eye after all, eh son?" the shopkeeper chuckled. "You said you were shopping for your girlfriend? Well, then you may be in luck, 'cause this mirror's something special. It's part of a set of two: one for you, and the other for your true love. It's said that when you look into a mirror like this one, it shows you not yourself, but where you're meant to be in a time of calamity, so that you can always be there for one another when you're truly needed."

"Oh boy! That's exactly what I'm lookin' for! How much for the set?" Mickey asked.

"Sorry, but the other mirror was bought earlier today. Big fella, who I could tell had no love at all in his life. Why he wanted the mirror, I can't say. But, since the set's incomplete, I can let this go for half price at $1,200.

"Darn. Aw, it's just as well. Me and Minnie live in the same house anyway," Mickey said, as he took out his checkbook.

"Heh. Young folks. Just can't wait to get hitched these days," the shopkeeper said.

The mirror was paid for, and wrapped accordingly for travel, before Mickey and his friends all carried it out to the car.

"Would've been nice to have a mirror for both of us," Mickey said. "I wonder who bought the other one."

"Who cares? That other guy probably thought a mirror's a mirror," Donald said.

"I don't think so. Fer twelve-hunnerd bucks, he coulda gotta whole ennertainment set. So, why jus' a mirror?" Goofy wondered.

"Who knows? Maybe a collector?" Mickey suggested.

"Arf!" Pluto finished.


"This is the way, ain't it?"

"Yup. Just where de boss said so."

In a faraway land, further beyond where most could travel, two figures lurked through woods of unimaginable darkness. They had been walking to their destination as they had been instructed. Only they were walking for longer than they felt they should have.

"I'm gettin' real tired o' this! You sure we're headin' the right way?" said the smaller figure.

"I just said it was. So, quit yer bellyachin', ya big blowhard!" replied the larger of the two.

"Where do you get off callin' anyone a blowhard, ya fat tubba butter!? You're actin' like your the one in charge when ya don't have a clue where to go!"

"De boss said dissaway! An' if we don't listen to him, you know what's gonna happen to us!"

"Grrr! I was better off chasin' pigs back home!" the smaller figure said, clenching his fists.

"Stick with it, ya glutton. When we're in charge, ya can have all de pigs ya can eat," the larger figure said.

"Yeah. An' chickens, an' cows, an' I always wondered what pony tastes like."

"An' as fer me: I'm gonna be de richest, baddest, most feared king dis place's ever seen!"

"My own personal smokehouse!"

"A bank where every bill's mine!"

"A marinatin' pan the size of a swimmin' hole!"

"A big, ol' mansion wit' a loyal house staff!"

"They better be loyal. Or I'm eatin' 'em!"

They both shared a hearty laugh over their future plans, knowing that it was all nearly within their grasp.

There came a cave, where the two stopped.

This was what they were told of, and the two exchanged a glance. They were nearly at their destination.

They entered the cave, which grew brighter and brighter with every step they took inside. Soon, the source of the light became apparent.

There before them was a radiant tree of diamonds of all colors. A harmonious resplendence that shimmered and shone to give hope to all in the darkest of times.

But, not this time.

"Gah-ha-ha! This is it! Ya still got that thing the boss gave ya?" the smaller asked.

"Right here,” the larger replied.

The larger of the two reached into this pocket, and produced something like a small, twinkling light. He threw the light toward the tree, and it darted around like a tiny comet, trailing sparkles of stardust behind it.

The light on the miniature comet became brighter, but its light was not like the tree's. It was malevolent, and cruel with its shine. Almost as if it meant to swallow up all the hope-giving light of the tree before it.

As though to scream, the diamonds that dangled from the tree all began to shiver at once in a loud din that rang through the cave, until its light began to dim.

And dim.

And dim until it was all but gone.

"Wah-ha-ha-ha! Hey, dis thing really works!" said the larger of the two.

"An’ now that we took care o' this, let's go to the next stop!" the other said, as he jumped about in malicious glee.

"Things are only gonna look up fer us from here on out. Long as we keep dis up, dere ain't no way we can be stopped!"

The two figures left the hidden grove, leaving the tree behind to fade away. But, with the last of its power, the tree called out. It didn’t know to where, and it didn’t know to who, but it called for help. If only there would be an answer.


"Minnie! Minnie, I'm home! I got somethin' for ya!" Mickey called into the house, as he and his friends hauled the mirror in.

No answer came.

"Minnie? Where the heck could she be right now?" Mickey wondered

"Hopefully, she's looking for more help with this thing," Donald grunted.

"Aw, it's not so bad, Donald. Just--oof--Just take it in nice and easy..." Mickey strained under the weight of the mirror.

"Easy!? This stupid thing weighs a ton!" Donald fumed.

"Gawrsh, I don't think it's so heavy," Goofy said.

"That's because you got a grip in the middle! All the weight's here at the base!" the duck fumed.

"Look, Donald: if ya wanna switch, just do it," Mickey said impatiently.

"Alright. I will!" Donald put his end of the mirror down, and switched places with Goofy. "Move aside, Goof. I'll show ya how a real man--WAK!!"

Donald hadn't anticipated Goofy's superior height to be a factor. When the goof lifted the base of the mirror, Donald, and Pluto who was holding the other side, were lifted off the ground. Pluto let go, but Donald held fast.

"Hey! Put me down! Put me down!" Donald shouted.

Mickey and Goofy both shook the mirror, dropping Donald to the floor. His hat, however, landed in the nearby fish bowl.

"Hmph. That's better," the duck said.

Pluto retrieved Donald's hat, and offered it to him.

"What're you lookin' at, mutt?" Donald asked.

Donald snatched his hat away, and put it on, only to be drenched in all the water that was contained within.

"Okay, Goof: keep it comin'. We're almost there," Mickey said.

He, Goofy and Pluto continued down the hall, while Donald sulked with his arms crossed, before he joined his friends.

"Right in here. That's it," Mickey said.

They stopped in his and Minnie's bedroom, where they set up the mirror and untied its sheet.

It was perfect. Minnie had been looking for a full body mirror for almost a month, and now she had one with such romantic affiliations as seeing where you're meant to be when you're needed by another.

"Okay. I just need to spruce it up a bit. Come on, Pluto. Help me look for the polish," Mickey bade his dog.

"Arf-Arf!" Pluto answered.

Mickey and Pluto left, leaving Donald and Goofy to look at the mirror.

"Welp, I'm glad that's over with. Now, I can get back to business as usual," Donald said.

"Sure is a purdy mirror, though," Goofy added.

Goofy looked at his reflection, and fixed his hair. He even plucked a stray one that didn't look quite right. And perfect. Except for that little, twinkling sparkle just between his eyes.

"Huh?" the goof said.

Goofy turned his head from side to side, finding that the sparkle seemed to rest on the tip of his bulbous nose.

The goof crossed his eyes to look at his nose, but found no such thing there.

He moved his whole upper body from side to side, and realized that the twinkle was staying exactly in place.

"A-hyuck. Fer a secon', I thought I wuz goin' crazy," Goofy said, as he motioned toward the mirror's surface.

Goofy licked his thumb, and rubbed it against the glass, trying to smudge out the twinkle, only for it to remain.

"Hm..."

Goofy smudged even harder, only for the friction to wear right through his white glove.

"Sum'n wrong here," Goofy grumbled.

In the mirror image before him, more twinkling lights appeared, and the image of himself in Mickey's bedroom disappeared completely. Instead, Goofy saw something that shouldn't have been. A cave, where a crystal tree dimly glowed in the darkness, twinkling diamonds adorning its branches in the place of leaves.

"Sum'n really wrong here!" Goofy exclaimed.

"What's wrong?" Donald asked, as he stepped next to his friend and saw what was on the mirror. "Wak! Goofy! What did you do? That--That... Mama pajama! That must be worth a fortune!"

"Just wait 'til I get done fixin' it up," Mickey said, as he merrily skipped into the room. "Whatcha guys lookin' at--" Mickey dropped the rag he was holding, and Pluto's mouth opened so he dropped the bottle of polish he held. "What in the heck happened to the mirror?" Mickey wondered.

"Help..."

Everyone in the room gasped.

"You all heard that, didn't ya?" Mickey asked.

His friends all nodded.

"Help us..."

Whether it was from curiosity or from a lack of caution, Mickey reached out to touch the mirror, only to see it ripple like water under his touch.

Whatever had made Mickey reach out for the mirror made him take a small step forward, and his entire hand was engulfed by the rippling glass. Then, he took another step.

"Mickey! Whatever you're thinking: don't do it!" Donald said.

"If yer gonna go, how do ya know ya won't come back?" Goofy added.

Mickey didn't heed his friend's words, and continued to walk forward.

He was grabbed on either side by his friends.

"Oh, no you don't! Nothing good can come of this!" Donald said.

"Don't leave us, Mickey! We love you!" Goofy added.

No matter how they protested, Mickey was determined to discover the mystery of the mirror, and walked right through the looking glass, pulling his friends along with him.

Pluto remained in the room, barking madly at Mickey as he left, and continued to bark at the rippling image of the tree after he had disappeared.

The image of the tree began to fade, and everything reverted back to Pluto looking at his own reflection in Mickey's bedroom.

Perplexed, Pluto stepped behind the mirror, expecting to find Mickey on the other side.

No such luck was to be had, and the pooch started sniffing around the base of the mirror, searching for any clues to his pal's whereabouts.


With an unnatural lightness, Mickey, Donald and Goofy all felt their feet touch the rocky ground. All three looked around themselves, and saw that they were in the place that they had seen on the glass of the mirror.

"Aw, look what ya did now, Mouse!" Donald said.

"Donald. Look," Mickey said, as he pointed ahead.

Donald did as instructed, and his rage was replaced with greed when he saw the crystal tree before him. Though that feeling quickly passed as well.

Goofy slowly approached the tree, sensing something was very out of place with it.

The dangling diamonds on the tree swayed slowly and heavily back and forth, as though a living being were taking deep, ragged breaths.

Goofy felt a chill through his body, like he was in the presence of somebody who had only moments left to live.

After a moment of hesitating, Goofy reached out, and touched his hand to the tree trunk, feeling a sudden warmth. Even though somebody (he didn't know who) would be gone soon, he knew that everything would be alright. Why? He didn't know why, but that was the feeling he had gotten.

Mickey and Donald approached on either side of their friend, and reached to touch the tree as well. They couldn't explain it, but they felt the same way. Donald even fought back a single tear that threatened to escape his eye.

With one last sway, the diamonds on the tree all gently rustled at once, and fell silent after.

A single diamond dropped from the branches, and fell into Mickey's hands. A parting gift from a friend they never knew.

"Gawrsh...Did we jus' see somethin' *gulp*...buy the farm?" Goofy asked.

"I don't know. I think so... Oh, jeez! This is too weird for me!" Donald said.

As his friends tried to come to grips with what had happened, Mickey looked thoughtfully at the diamond in his hand.

The twinkling light from within the jewel slowly floated in front of him, and drifted toward the exit to the cave, passing between his friends, and lighting up all the tiny stones that were embedded in the walls.

"I think we should follow it," Mickey said, with only a hint of apprehension.

"Follow it? What for?" Goofy wondered.

"I think it might have somethin' to do with what the old man said earlier. Maybe, we're here 'cause we're needed here. Maybe there's somethin' here that only we can take care of. I don't know about you fellers, but I feel like since it's us that were called, it's us who's gotta take care of what's happenin'. Who's with me? Goofy?"

"Sure. So long's no more trees croak."

"Donald?"

"I just hope I live to regret it."

"Okay, fellers. Let's get to it," Mickey said

And the three friends began their magical quest, not knowing what they were to face, or where they would find themselves. Only knowing that if they didn't, nobody would.

Author's Note:

There we go. The prologue's all finished. How'd you like it, folks?
As the title implies, this will be based off of those old 'Magical Quest' video games from the SNES days. The first place that they arrive will in fact be a reference to the first level of one of those games. Which one? That's a surprise for later.
The personalities of each character were taken from the older cartoons and the comic strips that were written by Floyd Gottfredson back in the 1930's and 40's. This may come as a bit of a shock to fans of newer Mickey media, who see the universe it's set in as somewhat more wholesome.
For anyone who is worried about Pluto being left behind, don't you worry about him, he's going to be involved in a later point, somewhat similar to what happened with Jon Arbuckle in Garfield: Friendship is a Big, Fat, Hairy Deal. How? I'm not quite sure yet, but I'll find out a way, as this story is only a side project for what I'm currently focusing on.
That said, I hope you all look forward to the coming chapters. And as I always bid my beloved audience: rock on \m/

Chapters Next