• Published 29th Nov 2011
  • 8,235 Views, 114 Comments

Mysterious Mare Do Well:Rise of the Shadowbolt. - Phoenix Kitten



An alternate ending to Mysterious Mare Do Well chronicling the dark path.

  • ...
20
 114
 8,235

Dodging a bullet,lighting a fuse.

Rainbow Dash crept to the front of the roof and peered over the edge. She spied her quarry.
Another pony wearing a hoof-to-tail costume consisting of a fur tight midnight blue bodysuit overlaid with a royal purple cloak and hat. The cloak stopped at the ponies knees and left the other half covered by a midnight blue wrap. A long cape dragged on the ground behind them.
Rainbow eyed the ponies chest, spotting a small fastener attached to the cape with the letter M on it. “Aha! Now I’ve got you!” She yelled out as she dove at the pony.

She was halfway to her target when she suddenly stopped in midair, held up by an invisible force. “What the hay?”

Her target turned and looked at her, the opaque white eye pieces on the mask stretching in astonishment before closing as they shook their head. Rainbow watched, noticing a bit of the mask stretching as the mystery ponies face moved.

“You almost had me Rainbow.” Their voice was muddled and metallic, Rainbow reasoned they were using a voice disguise spell. “Had the spell I put up to stop anypony getting near me not worked, you would probably have my mask off by now.”

“You’re damn right I would! You’ve been making me look bad all week!” Rainbow yelled as a crowd began to form around them.

The pony pointed an accusing hoof at the cyan pegasus. “No Rainbow. I haven’t been making you look bad. You’ve been doing that yourself. Ponyville deserves a better hero than a mare who thinks so highly of herself that she believes she’s above its residents.”

Rainbow looked on in shock as the pony continued. “I simply stepped in because I knew you’d become so full of yourself that you’d make a mistake. I didn’t step in for the fame, or the glory. I stepped in to help citizens who were in need of a heroine that isn’t an egoist.”

Rainbow suddenly dropped to the ground, too stunned to move. “And I will continue to help the ponies of this town because it’s the right thing to do, not because it makes me look good.”
With that the mysterious pony flourished their cape and vanished on the spot.

The crowd erupted into cheers at the news their hero was going to stay, much to the chagrin of the rainbow maned pony in front of them.
With an enraged scream she flew off to her cloud house.

---

“I’m a hero! Not that Mysterious Mare Do Well!” She screamed at her bathroom mirror. “I’m Rainbow Miriam Dash! The best young flier and fastest pony in Equestria! She’s nothing! I’m everything Ponyville needs in a hero!” She continued screaming before tugging at her mane and shouting obscenities.

After a few minutes of language that would make any sensible pony turn a bright shade of red and panting from a spot on her bathroom floor, Rainbow pulled herself up and looked in the mirror. Her house had reacted to her bad mood. The normally pristine white clouds were black and angry. “Ponyville doesn’t want me as a hero?” She asked no pony in particular as she pulled some dyes out of her cupboard. “Fine. Let’s see their precious Mare Do Well handle a villain.” Rainbow eyed her Nightmare Night costume and began to cackle madly.

---

“Somepony stop that mad mare!” Roseluck cried out as a black and purple tornado swept through the town the next day.

A pitch black aura suddenly surrounded the tornado and vanquished it from the ground up, revealing a jet black pegasus with a neon blue mane and tail wearing a twisted version of the Wonderbolts uniform.

Ponyville flashed negative for a split second as the Mysterious Mare Do Well appeared from nowhere. “And just who are you?” The eye pieces on her mask narrowing.

The black pony smirked. “I could ask you the same thing.” She replied, her voice smooth and effeminate. “But since we won’t tell, you can just call me… The Shadowbolt!”

“Very well then, Shadowbolt. I am the”

“Oh I know who you are Mysterious Mare Do Well.” Shadowbolt smirked, lifting her goggles, showing off her blood red eyes. “I’m here to unmask you.”

The crowd gasped at the revelation. Hushed mumurs began to flow through the crowd, voices overlapping to create unintelligible sentences and half phrases.

“I figured if I stirred up enough trouble. You’d come right to me. Glad I wasn’t wrong. That’s the problem with masked heroes like you. I can’t attack you directly like I did that Rainbow maned show off yesterday.”

Shadowbolt smiled as she noticed her opponents jaw clench under her mask.

“Yes. Her home will make an amazing base for my actions here in this backwater town.” She gestured to her right.
Mare Do Well followed Shadowbolts hoof, her eye pieces widening in shock at the dark and angry fortress that stood where the fluffy and peaceful mansion had been yesterday.

“You not only show up here, in the town under my protection with the sole purpose of unmasking me, but you also harm”

“Not harm… scared off.”

“Scared off?”

“Yes. Scared off. I am quite the scary pony to meet at night. I noticed you yesterday and followed the egotistical bitch and hid in her home before scaring her off. I’m glad she had this costume lying around.”

“You have just made a powerful enemy today Shadowbolt.” Mare Do Well growled.

“One thousand three hundred and twenty seven.”

“What?”

“I’ve heard that line so many times.”

Ponyville flashed negative again and suddenly Mare Do Well was holding Shadowbolt against a nearby wall with her hoof drawn back.

The crowd jumped as if they had all just witnessed a ghost. Hushed murmurs started up again. "Did you see... didn't even move... over there?... she that fast?"

“Uh uh uhhh. I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Shadowbolt smirked. “I know where the filly is. If you want to see her again, I get to go free. Otherwise she will meet an untimely end."

Mare Do Well growled. “I can trace her with a scrying spell.”

“Ha!” Shadowbolt laughed. “Not if she’s wearing one of these you can’t.” The pegasus said as she held up a bracelet designed to fit around a pony’s hoof.

Shadowbolt could see her opponents mouth contort into a scowl before she backed away.

“By the way. Nice voice disguise spell. You must’ve just activated it yesterday. Because today you sound just like Princess Celestia.” Shadowbolt smirked before flying off to her cloud fortress.

With a growl Mare Do Well vanished in another burst of negative light, leaving the terrified residents of Ponyville behind.